Best out-of-the-box .22 cal rifle

PDA

Lone_Gunman
January 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
I need some input on 22 cal rifles.

Specifically, I am interested in accuracy. I would want to put a scope on it. The purpose would be small game hunting, no further than 100 yds, and target shooting at the range.

Bolt or semi-auto would be ok, but I want as an accurate a gun as possible out of the box.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best out-of-the-box .22 cal rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stiletto Null
January 10, 2006, 01:27 PM
CZ 452 Varmint?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
Sako---Kimber---Cooper

Pricey---but you get what you pay for.

Ol` Joe
January 10, 2006, 01:44 PM
Sako---Kimber---Cooper

Pricey---but you get what you pay for.

True, and they`re right after Anschutz.............:D

deadly50bmg
January 10, 2006, 01:53 PM
Rack one more vote up for Anschutz

1911JMB
January 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
My advice is get a 10/22 and replace the trigger assembly, barrel and stock. It will cost you the same as those other .22's, but if a part breaks it will be easily fixed at almost any gun shop in the US.

Master Blaster
January 10, 2006, 02:18 PM
Anschutz.

Let me know next time you see a cooper or a kimber at the olympics, winning a gold medal.:rolleyes:

gt3944
January 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
10/22 with the Valquartzen trigger setup...:)

maxcom
January 10, 2006, 02:29 PM
my Marlin 60 is awesome and it was cheap

grimjaw
January 10, 2006, 04:37 PM
Best out-of-the-box .22 cal rifle

My advice is get a 10/22 and replace the . . .

10/22 with the Valquartzen trigger setup . . .

<Vader voice>I find the lack of acknowledgement that a Ruger 10/22 out of the box is not the most accurate .22 out there disturbing.</Vader voice>

Anschutz, and CZ somewhere over the factory stock Ruger 10/22, and I own more guns with "Ruger" stamped on the side than any other brand.

jmm

.45Guy
January 10, 2006, 05:19 PM
Marlin/Glenfield 25... Or perhaps the 925 or whatever Marlin calls them now.

kentucky_smith
January 10, 2006, 05:25 PM
have seen regular cz american outshoot Anschutz.

CZguy
January 10, 2006, 06:45 PM
Since this thread called for out of the box accuracy, you're left with Anschutz, Sako, Kimber, Cooper, CZ.

Since cost is an important consideration (to most of us) the list shortens to just CZ.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.04.php

R.W.Dale
January 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/17hmrgroup.jpg

Shooter973
January 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
I have 2 Ruger M77/22's that are great shooters. The first one I got was an early Blued/ Walnut, with open sights. I installed a 4x scope on it. Shoots great for me with Federal Lightning ammo. :) The second one is a Stainless/ Laminate. Target Grey. I bought this one used. With a nice Silver 3x9 scope on it it will hit just about anything I care to shoot at. I regularly shoot at pieces of clay pigeons left buy shotgun shooters. It is almost scary accurate. Almost no fun to shoot because you hit everything you shoot at. I've become very proficient at killing Starlings out to around 100 yards with it. :) I hate Starlings!!!:cuss: This rifle shoots well with the Bulk Federal Hollows from Wally World...:)

lycanthrope
January 10, 2006, 08:02 PM
Since this thread called for out of the box accuracy, you're left with Anschutz, Sako, Kimber, Cooper, CZ.

Since cost is an important consideration (to most of us) the list shortens to just CZ.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.04.php

That's the list.

Lone_Gunman
January 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
What if cost is not a consideration? Then what do you recommend?

Stiletto Null
January 10, 2006, 08:30 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the CZ 453s...CZ 453 Varmint means heavy barrel AND a single set trigger. :D

gremlin_bros
January 10, 2006, 08:36 PM
sorry guys I'm a die hard Ruger 10 22 fan its great out of the box with a ton of things you can do to make it even better. just my opinion

xring44
January 10, 2006, 08:44 PM
Find you a nice little Remington 541S,,I've owned two,,still have one and either would out shoot a Kimber super American I owned.

BsChoy
January 10, 2006, 09:03 PM
My standard CZ 452 American is about .5 at 50yrds all day...but if you got it the Anschutz is probably gonna beat the pants off of most

trickyasafox
January 10, 2006, 09:09 PM
out of the box, with no extra work, i'd vote marlin 60

JohnBT
January 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
If you want to spend $1,000, $2,000 or more...

Cooper M57M for a wood stock www.cooperfirearms.com/our_rifles.html

or

New Ultra Light Arms Model 20 for a 5.25# rifle with a Kevlar/graphite stock. www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html

"Every lightweight and accurate Ultimate Rifle is backed with a no-nonsense guarantee - you must be satisfied or your money is refunded (within 30 days of shipping)."

For less than a grand you might want to consider a Sako Finnfire or a discontinued Winchester/Browning reproduction Model 52B.

I bought a Cooper Custom Classic for my father a few years ago (he let's me take it home often) and have a Finnfire Hunter with a Jewell trigger. Nothing at all wrong with an Anshutz 54, although I think they're heavy for a toting rifle...I just don't have one yet.

You can save some money on a Cooper by shopping around on line. I bought mine from Whittakers in KY. They shipped it insured for $12 and apologized for having to charge an extra $2 due to the cost of the rifle. :)

John

P.S. - I hear www.volquartsen.com/vc//pages/public/ListItems.jsp?id=3 builds accurate autoloaders if you've got lots and lots of money. This one is almost $3750.

https://www.volquartsen.com/images/rifles/sigseries.jpg

JohnBT
January 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
I see I forgot to second the vote for the Rem 541-S. They haven't been made for decades, but they're still in high demand. I have one and it took me 15 years to get it away from my uncle. You should be able to find a really nice one up for $500-$700+ if you keep looking. Nice little squirrel gun.

John

jefnvk
January 10, 2006, 09:34 PM
Cheap, and out of the box accuracy, CZ.

Just accurate? Pretty much what has been mentioned.

Average Joe
January 10, 2006, 09:59 PM
10/22, mine is great out of the box. No mods at all, very accurate.

lycanthrope
January 10, 2006, 10:05 PM

Anschultz pretty much owns that, but you pay for that extra 1/4 MOA.

GeoW
January 10, 2006, 11:25 PM

CZ 452

GeoW
Southern-American

dm1333
January 11, 2006, 02:14 AM
Uh oh!! I'm picking mine up on Saturday, hopefully on Sunday I can vote!! I do have a Marlin Model 60 that shoots pretty well considering I paid 60 buck for it.

Steve F
January 11, 2006, 10:01 AM
I traded a AMT Backup .380 for a Anschultz Sporter .22:what: Great rifle:D

travis301
January 11, 2006, 11:58 PM
Buy an Anschutz with a 54 action.You will only cry once then.

rangerruck
January 12, 2006, 04:25 AM
marlin mod 60, best all around gun for 100 buck syou will ever get , and it will be accurate. go to a pawn shop or gun shop , go to the used rack, find you a variety of marlins oldies or remmy's or winny's or maybe an old mossberg, these will all be very accurate .you also cannot go wrong with a new or used cz they are very acc and beautiful. this is my mod 60.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60022.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60020.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60016.jpg
and what she does at 100 yds!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60013.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60012.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60010.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60006.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/mod60005.jpg \
when you do find an accurate gun , moly coat, molycoat!

Onmilo
January 12, 2006, 11:07 AM
Best out of the box.
Out of the box means NO modifications, at all, to the gun.

For me it is a Remington Model 581 bolt rifle.
It still shoots great and functions without issue.

Of course my wife has claimed it as HER rifle and I rarely get to shoot it anymore but I do have an unissued CMP 541X, still in the wrapper, sitting in the gun safe.
One of these days I may rip into that thing and see if it is just as good,,,,,,

Ares
January 12, 2006, 11:28 AM
Anschutz... If you can afford it...

ChevellRCR
January 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
For out of the box I would go with these. For a cheap rifle that was very cheap ,very accurate, and looks great I would go with a savage. It does not have iron sights so you will have to use a scope but at 50 yards with bulk pack dyna points it will do 5 shot half inch groups. I had the barrel threaded and shoot it with a supressor. Anyway here is the site. Looks like they have the accu trigger now also.

http://www.savagearms.com/markiibv.htm

For a little bit more and if you want an all around good 22 that you can fire shorts and longs with I would try the marlin 39a. It is a great hunting rifle. I have made 100 yard squirel shots with it. Here is a link to that site. Mine is about 35 years old and if I have to get rid of every gun I have it would be the last one to go.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22Rifle/Golden39A.aspx

You may want to ask your question over at the rimfire forum also.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Good Luck

Bottom Gun
January 12, 2006, 11:14 PM
My Anschutz 1416 is my favorite .22 rifle. It is truly a precision rifle. My second favorite is my Sako Finnfire. These two rifles are about equal as far as accuracy goes. I do prefer the Anschutz over the Finnfire though because the action is smoother and the stock simply feels more elegant like a high quality rifle should. The Finnfire feels like a club next to the Anschutz. They are both, however, incredibly accurate. Either rifle deserves to have a good quality optic mounted on it.

The Anschutz averages 70-100 fps faster through my chrono than most other rifles using the same lot of ammo. I haven't figured out why that is but I suspect the bore and chamber is a bit tighter.

I did have a Remington 541S and a couple bull barrel 10/22's tricked out with fancy triggers, match barrels, etc.
The 541S was a good rifle but not as accurate as the Anscutz or the Finnfire. It was more accurate than other 500 series Remingtons I've scoped in the past, but not by as much as I expected.

The Ruger 10/22's I owned were both a waste of my time and money. They simply were not in the same league as the other three rifles mentioned.
By the time you get one to shoot decently, you'll have the price of a Sako in it. I don't mean to slam any 10/22 fans here. I'm just rendering my personal opinion of the rifle. I no longer own a 10/22 and really don't see one in my future.

The Remington 500 series rifles were more accurate than I expected them to be with certain types of ammo. They can still be had at gun shows for under $200. One of them might be a good choice for a shooter on a tight budget.

MCgunner
January 12, 2006, 11:44 PM
If money is no object, Anschutz is your answer. Anyone who knows target grade .22s will confer. The more money you spend, the more accuracy you can expect. Anschutz is at the top rung of that ladder.

MCgunner
January 12, 2006, 11:46 PM
My Anschutz 1416 is my favorite .22 rifle. It is truly a precision rifle. My second favorite is my Sako Finnfire. These two rifles are about equal as far as accuracy goes. I do prefer the Anschutz over the Finnfire though because the action is smoother and the stock simply feels more elegant like a high quality rifle should. The Finnfire feels like a club next to the Anschutz. They are both, however, incredibly accurate. Either rifle deserves to have a good quality optic mounted on it.

The Anschutz averages 70-100 fps faster through my chrono than most other rifles using the same lot of ammo. I haven't figured out why that is but I suspect the bore and chamber is a bit tighter.

I did have a Remington 541S and a couple bull barrel 10/22's tricked out with fancy triggers, match barrels, etc.
The 541S was a good rifle but not as accurate as the Anscutz or the Finnfire. It was more accurate than other 500 series Remingtons I've scoped in the past, but not by as much as I expected.

The Ruger 10/22's I owned were both a waste of my time and money. They simply were not in the same league as the other three rifles mentioned.
By the time you get one to shoot decently, you'll have the price of a Sako in it. I don't mean to slam any 10/22 fans here. I'm just rendering my personal opinion of the rifle. I no longer own a 10/22 and really don't see one in my future.

The Remington 500 series rifles were more accurate than I expected them to be with certain types of ammo. They can still be had at gun shows for under $200. One of them might be a good choice for a shooter on a tight budget.

I've got a Remington M512X I got for my ninth birth day. I'm 52 now. That is still my choice in accuracy among the cheap stuff I own. :D That thing has slain many a squirrel.

I like my 10/22, though. It's a first rate little field gun plenty accurate for squirrel at 50 yards. It's not a target gun, but then, I don't do much rimfire competition and only within our local club.

Bottom Gun
January 13, 2006, 12:18 AM
The 512's are excellent rifles for the money. I put a low end Bushnell scope on one and zeroed it for Remington sub-sonic ammo. I keep it by the door for critter control. Its very accurate, reliable and about as low cost an outfit as you can get.

Another Remington which surprised me with its accuracy is my Apache Black Nylon 66. I scoped it for a while and discovered it shot extremely well. I'm back to using it with iron sights now though.
I bought it 38 years ago and have no idea how many rounds I've put through it. It's light as a feather and one of my favorite field guns.
I think Remington screwed up when they dropped the Nylon 66 line.

borrowedtime69
January 13, 2006, 12:35 AM
my pick for cheapest gun is the Marlin 795 with a 6 X 40 mm Scope on it.

at most sporting good stores you can find it for between $100- $120. its dead accurate right out of the box. - Eric

R.O.F
January 13, 2006, 01:49 AM
Aren't Anschutz rifles a bit big and un-practical? I am only asking because the only one I have ever shot was for competition as a wee lad. Very nice rifles, but I wouldn't want to be dragging it along for a couple miles out hunting. I have to put my "X" in the Marlin model 60 bracket.

Ol` Joe
January 13, 2006, 02:12 AM
Aren't Anschutz rifles a bit big and un-practical? I am only asking because the only one I have ever shot was for competition as a wee lad. Very nice rifles, but I wouldn't want to be dragging it along for a couple miles out hunting. I have to put my "X" in the Marlin model 60 bracket.

Depends on the model, they make target and sporting versions.

http://www.championshooters.com/Anschutz-sp.htm

esldude
January 13, 2006, 02:24 AM
With all due respect to Marlin 60 and 10/22 owners, any CZ, Sako, Kimber, Cooper or Anschutz will beat the pants off of one out of the box. It isn't even close.

Top two choices are Anschutz and Cooper. CZ is pretty close and as good as most anything else at an affordable price. At even lower prices Savage and Marlin bolt guns are not bad at all. But if your concern is accuracy out of the box, semi-auto's are a step back.

As for Cooper vs. Anschutz. Too close to call. If you plan any field use go with an Anschutz. The Cooper has beautiful wood, but it is oil finished and simply cannot be allowed to get much moisture on it. Both brands make heavy rifles. Both also make regular weight sporter rifles.

brentwal
January 13, 2006, 02:26 AM
Marlin 39A

The Marlin Golden 39A is the oldest shoulder firearm design still being made anywhere in the world.

Must be a reason for it.

Spiggy
January 13, 2006, 02:42 AM
I give +1 to the used gun rack at your local gun store... much magic can be found there

R.O.F
January 13, 2006, 02:46 AM
Ahh there ya go Joe, I wasn't even aware they made models such as that. Thanks for the heads up. While we are on the topic of .22s I'd like to throw in a suggestion for a .22 magnum. I bought a Savage at Wally-World for $180 and it is flawless. Everyone oughtta own a .22, and the magnum will come shortly there after.

Sactown
January 13, 2006, 02:48 AM
Anschutz. I'm still saving my Hamiltons for one.

farscott
January 13, 2006, 09:04 AM
What about the current rimfire version of the Remington 40-X, the 40-XRBR? These are made in the Remington custom shop, and the MSRP is a bit below $1900. Not inexpensive, but quite nice.

The stock, being synthetic, and the stainless barrel are more forgiving of the elements, good for hunting. It is a heavy rifle, weighing more than 10 pounds when scoped, so it is not a good choice for woods walking.

Marinecorpsmike
January 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
The suggestions previously listed do offer some examples of .22 rifles that shoot well out of the box. But, NO .22 shoots better out of the box than a Winchester 52 C or D model. Anschutz 54 actions are also top notch and some may be able to shoot an Anschutz better in competion because of advancements in stock design etc. but inherent accuracy wise a 52 D is still as good as ANY
.22 ever made. Don't take my word for it, just ask any serious smallbore competitor.

JohnBT
January 13, 2006, 03:44 PM
Well sure, the Model 52 is in a class by itself, but don't the 52C and 52D weigh about as much as a Remington Model 37? And the Model 37 weighs 12.5 pounds. I know the Model 52 Sporter only weighs 7.25 pounds or so, but the last two I saw were $3250 and somewhere north of $4000 and they weren't in perfect condition.

If I thought I could learn to shoot lefthanded I'd buy this Cooper off gunsamerica.

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976392046-2.jpg

"Special Order Custom Classic: Left Handed. Exhibition quilted fiddle back claro walnut; Neidner butt plate; checkered bolt knob; steel grip cap; beaded cheekpiece; inletted sling studs; ebony foreend tip; 22 LPI handcut checkering; Leupold bases." - $3800.

John

kennygarza
January 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
Most accurate .22 rifle I've ever had... and the cheapest. I can put 14 shots into a dime at 25 yds all day long using whatever shells I want. Best $99 I ever spent. Triggers could be better, though. I won't ever change a thing on it.
KG

f4t9r
January 13, 2006, 11:45 PM
I like the Marlin 39A

If you enjoyed reading about "Best out-of-the-box .22 cal rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!