Requesting assistance with .308 load

PDA

FitchHall
January 10, 2006, 05:42 PM
THR,

I could use a hand "remembering" a very accurate load that I accidentally lost with my databook.

A little over a year ago, I was surfing the net looking for a very accurate .308 Win load. I shoot a Remington 700PSS and was interested in a good target/plinking load so I could join my father-in-law at a range in his hometown.

I don't remember the site, but it contained a number of favorite .308Win loads for target/plinking. I tried a number of them, but the one that worked the best was a 168HPBT round with Accurate 2520 powder.

Here is the problem. I don't remember if it was 41.4gr of the 2520 or if it was 44.1gr. I am certain it was one of those two that produced some wonderful groups out of my rifle. Both loads are feasible since most loading tables list the min and max loads for the 168gr HPBT using AA2520 between 40.5 and 45.1 grains.

Is anyone on this board familiar with this load? I know both loads would work, but I am heading to a range this weekend and would like to load some rounds with the correct charge.

I know that it is a stupid mistake to lose a data book and try to "guess" which charge produced the great results. But I'm hoping someone out there is familiar enough and can provide some insight.

Thank you for your time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Requesting assistance with .308 load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clark
January 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
In Quickload:
41.4 gr AA4120, 24" barrel, 168 gr BTHP, gives 2,512 fps, 42,720 psi
41.4 gr AA4120, 24" barrel, 168 gr BTHP, gives 2,662 fps, 51,938 psi

From this you can see that the primer will not look distinctive in either:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=3047&page=3&#57

If you enjoyed reading about "Requesting assistance with .308 load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!