What was your first gun?

PDA

torpid
January 11, 2006, 01:32 PM
What was the first gun you shot, and what was the first one you ever owned?

Also, please share a brief thanks to the good folks who gave you a positive introduction to shooting.
(Feel free to become sentimental and wax poetic when appropriate...) :)

If you enjoyed reading about "What was your first gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
V4Vendetta
January 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
First gun I ever shot was a Remington 870. First I owned will be a Mossberg Mariner.

NoahFN
January 11, 2006, 01:41 PM
The first gun I ever shot was my father's duty revolver, a Smith and Wesson of some type, not sure of the model.

The first long gun I fired was my uncles side by side 20 ga. My father borrowed it for me from my uncle when I told him I wanted to learn how to hunt. Dad didn't have any guns suitable for hunting at the time. I shot my first rabbit with it that day.

Shortly thereafter Dad bought me a single shot .410 one of the neighbors won at a trap shoot. He owned it, but it was my gun.

I owe my dad alot.

phoglund
January 11, 2006, 01:42 PM
First gun: Ruger 10/22. First gun shot: Ruger 10/22.

My father gave me the 10/22 gun for my 17th birthday. He was not a gun owner himself although he knew guns after 20 years in the Army. I still own that gun although it now looks nothing like it did when produced. He died a little over a month ago. I now also have a Savage 110 in 30.06 he bought for "himself" to hunt with although he never used it (It was actually for me to use as I couldn't afford one at the time since I was in college), and a Ruger Single six in .32 H&R Magnum he bought for ranch use when he bought a small ranch after retiring. That revolver only had 35 rounds through it when he died. These three firearms will always be treasured because of who passed them to me.

gt3944
First gun I ever shot was a S&W 9mm...my uncle introduced me to it..hes big one firearms and hunting and I thank him for taking the time to lead me in the path of enlightnment..My first gun was a ruger p89..still have it..

Steve F
First shot and owned were the same one,a Winchester 1906 gallery gun .22,still have it ;) Paid $5 (yes five)for it:what:

Hemicuda
January 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
First real (not toy) gun - a Daisy Mod. 99 lever action .177 cal repeater... first powder-propelled bullet launcher? a Springfield bolt-cocker .22 single shot... i still have both guns...

1st pic, the Daisy is the one on the bottom... 2nd pic, the springfield is the top gun (that's it's mate, without the scope, right under it)

hutch77
January 11, 2006, 01:44 PM
The first gun I ever shot was my dad's Ruger 10/22. The first gun I ever owned was a Savage Stevens Crackshot (a little single shot, falling block .22) when I was 8. I still remember when I got it. My parents had gone out of town overnight and I stayed with my grandparents. When they came ot pick me up the next morning, my dad grabbed something out of the trunk of the car. As they were walking up to the house, I could tell it was a small rifle. When he handed it to me, I think my smile engulfed most of my face.:D That started a fascination with firearms that is still going strong today, much to my wife's dismay!:p

hutch77

rero360
January 11, 2006, 01:49 PM
fisrt gun ever shot: a friend's dad's .410, his dad was a FFL and had a bunch of class 3 stuff, so i was interduced to FA at a real young age, like fifth grade. first gun i ever owned: mossburg 500 with full camo and ported barrel, still have it.

Lennyjoe
January 11, 2006, 01:49 PM
Bolt action 16 guage shotgun. I was around 12 years old if I remember correctly.

1911JMB
January 11, 2006, 01:55 PM
First shot fired out of boy scout .22 bolt action, first gun owned is a Remington 870.

M2 Carbine
January 11, 2006, 02:01 PM
The first gun I shot was a 32 auto that belonged to another kids father. I guess we were about 10 years old and the kid used to "borrow" it and we would take it in the woods and shoot.
About that time I found a 32 revolver and ammo that my Grandfather had hidden away and us kids would shoot that .
One day on the way home I dropped the gun and broke the hammer spur. I don't think my Grandfather ever noticed.:)
I still have that gun but it went through a fire 11 years ago.

When I was 18 I mail ordered a Beretta 25, that was delivered to the door.

Those were different times.:D

Skipper
January 11, 2006, 02:11 PM
First gun I fired was my dad's Iver Jonhson break-open revolver in .32 Long. That was 45 years ago,in the field out behind the chicken house.
I bought my first one,a new Ruger Single Six convertible, in 1968.
Still have the Ruger,but Dad's gone and the .32 was lost when our homeplace burned to the ground in 1972. Good memories though.
SKIP

old4x4
January 11, 2006, 02:23 PM
1st gun shot-a Remington model 34 22 rifle that Dad still owns.
1st gun owned was a Rem 1100 LT-20 my dad bought me for Christmas
1st one I actually paid for was a S&W 39 in 9mm. Man, did that thing ever like to jam..

WillBrayJr
January 11, 2006, 02:25 PM
First gun I shot was my grandfather's Ruger 10/22 when I was 5 years old. My first real gun was a Norinco Mak-90 AK-47 that I paid for myself when I was 17 years old. I regret getting rid of it too:(

Stiletto Null
January 11, 2006, 02:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/StilettoOne/Guns/FullRightSide.jpg

M48.

Rockrivr1
January 11, 2006, 02:28 PM
First gun I ever shot was a M-14 that I qualified with in the military.
The first gun I ever owned was a S&W M15-3 that my uncle gave to me when he passed away.
The first gun I bought was a White Oak Precision upgraded Rock River arms AR-15. It was set up for Highpower. Expensive, but it was worth every penny! :D

Black Majik
January 11, 2006, 02:37 PM
First gun I remember ever shooting was an M16. Semi auto at the time of course :D

First I've owned was this Colt Government.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Coltfull12-06-05.jpg

Father Knows Best
January 11, 2006, 02:39 PM
I don't remember the first firearm I ever shot. It seems like I've always been shooting rifles. I know that the first handgun I ever shot was a Ruger .22 auto that belonged to my dad. The first shotgun I ever shot was a Remington 1100 20 gauge.

The first gun that was ever "mine" was an Anschutz .22 single shot that my dad bought for me to use in smallbore competition. I was around 10 or 11 at the time. I was the only one who ever used it, but I don't think of it as a gun that I "owned."

The first gun that I ever truly "owned" was a Ruger 77/22 rifle. I really, really wanted one when they first came out, and my dad got one for me as a Christmas gift when I was 15 or 16.

The first gun that I ever bought with my own money was a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge combo (slug and shot barrels).

outofbattery
January 11, 2006, 02:53 PM
First shot: a breakdown,bolt action .22.It probably was a Marlin.

First owned: some 8 shot,breaktop .22 revolver;no idea of the maker

First firearm bought:Arsenal SLR-95

First handgun bought:Star Firestar Plus

f4t9r
January 11, 2006, 03:03 PM
first shot old marlin 22
first owned Browning Auto 5

Texfire
January 11, 2006, 03:03 PM
The first gun I ever shot was a generic single shot .22 rifle at summer camp when I was a kid. I have no idea what it was other than that really. Once when I went duck "hunting" with some cousins in Louisiana we perforated a old rusted 55gl barrel with a .410 shotgun, but those two times were my only exposure to firearms in childhood though, as my mother was really anti-gun.

Fast-forward to post college and my wife bought me a Ruger 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark for my birthday, or Christmas I can't really remember. I don't have the wife anymore, but I do have those .22s.

I do remember my first centerfire handgun, as it was the first one I personally picked out and purchased. It was a Browning dual mode, or a BDM, a very nice full-sized double stack 9mm handgun. I still have it, though it doesn't get fired as much as it used to as I have fallen under the spell of High Power.

Tex

wqbang
January 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
First gun shot:
M16 in AF basic training.

First gun owned:
Ruger SP101 DAO .357

dhoomonyou
January 11, 2006, 03:06 PM
First shot: Ruger SP100

First owned and traded away: Beretta 92FS Inox. sexy looker, lousy shooter, magazine drop out problems.

Lambo
January 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
1st shot, a 7.65 Argentine Mauser Carbine. 1st purchase, a H&R single shot 20ga Shotgun. Went on to buy a 7.65 Argentine Mauser Carbine, paid $40.00 OTD way back when(early 70s). Both are long gone.

USNCHIEF
January 11, 2006, 03:11 PM
Single shot .22 Winchester Bolt action. Got it when I was 11 years old. My dad let me and my brother go hunting alone. I had been quail hunting with the adults and saw how smart the bird was. Very elusive and my dad never got his limit. Well I went out and brought home 14 quail!! Had them on a string tied to my belt. My dad informed me that I had just shot a bunch of meadow lark.......and my lesson would be that I would eat them...not much meat on them Meadow Lark bones!!!! I always wondered why I could sneak up on those "QUAIL" ....SOMETIMES WITHIN 8 FEET!!!!

JohnBT
January 11, 2006, 04:14 PM
I don't remember, it was 50 years ago or so...probably an old Remchester .22.

I do remember the first one that knocked me down. I was about 5 and had bugged my father until he let me shoot his Win Model 12 20 ga. He caught the gun while I took a seat in the dirt.

JT

rick_reno
January 11, 2006, 04:29 PM
Remington M41 22 bolt action rifle (single shot). Built in 1929, my father bought it in 1935 and gave it to me in 1956. It still shoots a decent group. I've killed a fair number of woodchucks, rabbits and small birds with it.

silverbird
January 11, 2006, 04:38 PM
1st one I ever shot was some .22 rifle in the Boy Scouts. That was a long time ago. The first one I really remember shooting was a Beretta 9mm.

First one I owned was a Ruger P85 9mm.

CypherNinja
January 11, 2006, 05:03 PM
The first gun I ever fired was a .22 rifle (no idea what it was) back when I was like 10.

First gun I ever owned is the Ruger MKII (KMK678GC) shown here. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=175540) That CZ is #2. ;) :D

Mad Chemist
January 11, 2006, 05:33 PM
First one I ever fired was a Win. .30-30. First one I ever owned was an old Savage/Stephens 12 ga. My first handgun was an SP101 3" in .38. I'm still kicking myself for trading that one.:banghead:

DMSHEPARD
January 11, 2006, 06:33 PM
I don't know who made the first rifle I shot but it was a single shot pull out the cocking knob .22 that my grandfather taught me to shoot with.
First shotgun was a 16 guage Ithaca Featherlight that had belonged to my grandfather, which I now own.
First rifle I owned was and still is a 77/22 and first shotgun an 870 Express in 12 guage.
My most valued are the ones that come from my grandfather, the Ithaca, a Belgian Browning and a Woodsman.

Moonclip
January 11, 2006, 06:54 PM
1st shot, can't remember which one was first, but at an indoor range using rentals fired a S&W mod 639 9x19, a Beretta 92fs, a Ruger GP100 and a S&W 686 357mag. Don't normal people start off their children with a 22lr?

First gun purchased with my own money but by a relative as I was not 21 was a Sundance Boa chromed 25acp. Jam o Matic now since sold.

First quality gun purchased with my own money but once again notin my name was a CZ52 when they first started coming in over 10 years ago, still have it.

First gun I bought where I filled out the 4473 myself was a FIE Titan 25acp which I still have.

lawson
January 11, 2006, 07:05 PM
first gun shot: S&W Chief's Special, Ruger Single-Six .22. shot both on my first day shooting a gun at 8 years old. my memory is kinda fuzzy, but i think i shot the chief's special first.

first gun owned: Henry .22

first gun i bought myself: Ruger GP-100, 4" stainless.

first bruised shoulder: remington rolling block .45/70 carbine

first buck: marlin 336 .30-30

i think that's all the important firsts i can think of.

Ala Dan
January 11, 2006, 07:12 PM
First I ever shot was a Smith & Wesson model 43 Airweight "Kit Gun" .22LR~!:cool: First one I ever owned was a Arminus "Burgo" model 8-shot .22LR
revolver, that I purchased NIB from the long gone K-Mart store for $42.50.:D
Needless to say, that POS is long gone also~!;)

bigun15
January 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
First gun I ever shot was an Ithaca shotgun. Don't own a gun yet, but should be sometime soon.

BDavis
January 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
Remington .22 rf single shot bolt action. I forget the model number. It was a 10th birthday present in '73 but it was used so I don't know the exact vintage. Sure wish I still had it to pass down the line. Oh well......Later,B.

Ridgeway
January 11, 2006, 07:37 PM
1st shot: dad's issue S&W 1076 I believe (could have been another agents glock 19...been a few years)

1st owned: Glock 22

sabre452
January 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
1st Shot was a Colt .22LR Frontiersman of my Dad's and 1st owned was a Ruger P85.

Kodiaz
January 11, 2006, 09:09 PM
First gun I ever shot md dad's .22 bolt gun first gun I ever owned Marlin .22 semi with the tube mag a Christmas present from my uncle when I was 9. When I was 15 my dad gave me a Rem. 11-87 12 ga. which is sitting in my closet right now(I'm 31) my .22 was banned in NJ so it is sitting in my uncle's house in Pa. But I think now that I live in a free state it may be time for a reunion.

jeff-10
January 11, 2006, 09:10 PM
No idea what the first I shot was, maybe a Ruger Single Six. First I owned was a Marlin 60. Got it on my 12th bday.

mole
January 11, 2006, 09:19 PM
My parents were anti-gun. First gun shot was a friend's Marlin 60 .22lr when I was 14, and, of course, my parents never knew. I never asked for anything while a teenager (started working on 15th birtday, bought own car, clothes, etc.) and was generally a good kid, so when I asked for a Mossberg 500 for my highschool graduation they grudgingly got it as my first gun.

mole

LiquidTension
January 11, 2006, 09:28 PM
First shot - Marlin Mod 60
First given to me - Marlin 336
First purchased - SKS

Slinger
January 11, 2006, 09:30 PM
First gun I bought was an old 16 guage bolt action shotgun that was missing the magazine. What a pain in the a## to load the shells in the chamber. I learned an important lesson the first time I shot it, hold the butt against your shoulder not against the top of your biscep. Ouch! My cousin and I bought the gun for 20$ and had about a million dollars worth of fun busting clay birds with it. :rolleyes:

palerider1
January 11, 2006, 09:33 PM
the first gun i ever shot was an old J C Higgins single shot bolt action .22 . i fired it at the age of 2, almost 39 years ago. it was my grandfathers gun and he helped me hold it while i pulled the trigger. i still remember it. when he died in 1974 i inherited the gun, which i still have today. :)

palerider1
January 11, 2006, 09:40 PM
Single shot .22 Winchester Bolt action. Got it when I was 11 years old. My dad let me and my brother go hunting alone. I had been quail hunting with the adults and saw how smart the bird was. Very elusive and my dad never got his limit. Well I went out and brought home 14 quail!! Had them on a string tied to my belt. My dad informed me that I had just shot a bunch of meadow lark.......and my lesson would be that I would eat them...not much meat on them Meadow Lark bones!!!! I always wondered why I could sneak up on those "QUAIL" ....SOMETIMES WITHIN 8 FEET!!!!

GREAT STORY!!!!!!!! THATS SO FUNNY,,,,I'M LMAO

xinul22
January 11, 2006, 10:02 PM
first shot: my dad's Beretta 92 fs

first gun owned: Glock 23 ... at the time knowing nothing about guns, i wanted a desert eagle. thank goodness the store owner persuaded me otherwise and highly recommended the glock... the gods were looking out for me that day :D

adaman04
January 11, 2006, 10:22 PM
First owned, Marlin 60. First purchased myself, Ruger Mini-14.

gbelleh
January 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
The first gun I shot was a Ruger .22.
First owned was a Glock 26.

marklbucla
January 11, 2006, 10:27 PM
Shot: Some kind of 20 Gauge single shot shotgun used for my Boy Scouts Shotgun Merit Badge.

Owned: 870 Express.

MachIVshooter
January 11, 2006, 10:37 PM
first shot: my dad's Beretta 92 fs

first gun owned: Glock 23 ... at the time knowing nothing about guns, i wanted a desert eagle. thank goodness the store owner persuaded me otherwise and highly recommended the glock... the gods were looking out for me that day :D

Not that the Desert Eagle is a bad firearm-actually quite the opposite (I'm also biased, being the owner of a brushed chrome .50 AE). But it certainly would have been a poor choice for a first firearm, and the store owner was wise to dissuade you. Besides, yu can buy three Glocks for the price of an Eagle, and 12 9mm rounds for every one .50 AE cartridge.

First gun I shot: Marlin model 81 at age 3 (dad, who died when I was 11)
First gun owned: Remington model 522 at age 13 (very good friend got it for me and kept it at his place since my mother is an anti)
First gun I bought myself: Remington 700 BDL .25-06 (wanted one for-ev-er!)

fiveoboy01
January 11, 2006, 10:38 PM
My first firearm was a Marlin 22LR bolt action with a 7 round magazine. My mother bought it for me back in '95. I can't remember the model number but I still have it, it's leaning in the corner of my basement.

First firearm I purchased with my own $ was a Walther P22 approximately a year ago.

jtward01
January 11, 2006, 10:39 PM
First gun I ever owned was a Steven's Favorite .22lr single shot rifle that my uncle, Bill Sheets, gave to me in 1960 for my seventh birthday. It may have been the first gun I ever fired, too, I just can't recall.

My first handgun was a little .22lr revolver that a friend's father (a cop, no less) gave to me when I was 16. It was a classic "Saturday Night Special" - three-inch-barrel, double-action, probably made in Germany. I used to carry it in the glovebox of my car so I could go plinking whenever I felt like it. The local Optimist Club had a small range set up next to their clubhouse that was open to the public 24/7. All they asked is that you not use glass bottles for targets and that you clean up after yourself. Most people complied.

modifiedbrowning
January 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
Walther P99 for both.

ralphie98
January 11, 2006, 10:46 PM
The first gun I ever shot was dad's old savage .22. A few years went by and my dad made friends with a guy who was into handguns and they started hitting the range. I went with one day and got to shoot the guy's Glock 34, which became my first gun 2 weeks later.

jshipma
January 11, 2006, 10:46 PM
The first gun I ever shot was a Ruger P89 when I was 14.
The first gun I "owned" was a Bersa Thunder .380
The first gun I bought was a Ruger 10/22

I'm still waiting the last few months till I turn 21 and can get that nice commander I've been longing for.....

IndianaDean
January 11, 2006, 11:36 PM
First one I ever shot was a Ruger 10/22. The first one I bought (I wish I still had it) was a .54 Hawken muzzleloader.

newfalguy101
January 11, 2006, 11:50 PM
First gun I ever shot was either my dad's Win m-62a or his Savage ( I think ) 20 guage bolt action, on second thought it HAD to be the Win, that ol bolt shotgun kicks like a mule :what: and I may not enjoy guns as much had it been first :neener: !!!

About 20 years ago now, the first gun I bought , ok I paid ;) for it, my dad filled out the 4473, is a Glenfield ( Marlin) M-60 .22LR, which I proudly report that I still have to this very day and is the ONLY gun I own which is NOT FOR sale at ANY price.

Hopefully dad will see fit to allow me the privelage of being the next owner of that old Winchester.

CTI1USNRET
January 11, 2006, 11:51 PM
First gun fired was a 6" S&W M-35 .22

First one purchased was a Ruger Mini-14 (ser no 180-.....) back in 1977. Still have it.

grimjaw
January 11, 2006, 11:55 PM
First gun fired was a Daisy airgun, bane of frogs. First gun I bought was a Marlin 336 .30-30.

jmm

kevin7
January 12, 2006, 01:41 AM
First gun I shot was a .22 rifle at a Boy Scout summer camp.

I still don't own a gun, but I'm looking into buying a gun sometime this year.

Herself
January 12, 2006, 01:57 AM
My dad's Remington 341-P "Sportmaster" .22 bolt-action rifle. I was 10 or 12 at the time! I own that gun now. It's still a beaut.

The first gun I owned, I bought in my very very late thirties. It's a Star model BM 9mm pistol. Also a real beauty, and fun to shoot.

--Herself

R.O.F
January 12, 2006, 02:12 AM
BB guns aside, my first was a Marlin model 60 .22. To this day it still remains my favorite Christmas present EVER!

3rdpig
January 12, 2006, 02:16 AM
First gun I ever shot was a High Standard model B .22 pistol that my Grandfather gave my Dad when he was around 15. First gun I ever owned was Marlin model 57 lever action rifle given to me by my Father when I was about 13. First gun I ever bought on my own was a Ruger Standard Auto .22 pistol (Dad had to fill out the paperwork, I was only 16 but it was my money) and the first gun I ever bought on my own, paperwork and all, was Browning High Power 9mm.

I've still got 'em all.

SRFL
January 12, 2006, 02:20 AM
My first gun was a Browning High Power Mark II in 9mm. She's still with me..I've now owned her for 19 years. I hope to pass her on to one of my children when they come of age.

MNgoldenbear
January 12, 2006, 02:33 AM
First firearm I ever shot was a .22 gallery gun at an arcade in Disneyland (oh, how the PRK has changed!) that was closed in the mid-80s. First centerfire shot was a S&W 4006 rental. First 6 rounds at 25 yards, two on paper, neither would have scored -- moved target in, then learned to shoot! First firearm owned -- after searching for the perfect autoloader -- S&W 686 (6", 6-shot). Still a favorite.

Danus ex
January 12, 2006, 04:05 AM
First Shot - New England Firearms 20ga shotgun (at about 12 years old).

First Owned - Colt Detective Special

LAK
January 12, 2006, 04:59 AM
First was a Ruger .22 MKI. Thanks to my father.

In those days one could shoot - at least in our neighborhood in Maryland - in the backyard of a residential area.

My first purchase was a folding Italian .410. I do not remember the maker's name; but I wish I still had the gun.
------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

redneck2
January 12, 2006, 06:37 AM
First gun shot, probably a bolt .22

First owned, a Remington 700 .22-250. I was hell on groundhogs back on the farm

1911 guy
January 12, 2006, 09:10 AM
First I ever shot was an uncles .22 rifle, no idea what kind. He died, all his guns got "lost" by his then ex-wife. First I owned was a .20 Ga. H&R single shot. Mowed lawns all summer to pay $63.97 for the shotgun, two boxes of shells and a youth hunting license. Mom has the receipt in a family scrapbook.

usp9
January 12, 2006, 09:48 AM
The first gun I ever fired is a Ithica model 49 saddle gun. My Dad used this great little single shot rifle to teach me how to shoot and above all he taught GUN SAFETY. Thanks Dad. I still have that little rifle and have used it to teach my own kids. Passing on the flame.

The first gun I ever bought is a Colt Match Target. I've had that beauty for 38 years. I consider it a work of art as well as a fine firearm,

danurve
January 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
Going to exclude pellet pistols and air rifles.

1st. shot this old ww2 lookin 22lr bolt that as a child (after being taught to shoot) was placed in my care to help guard this huge garden we had against critters, shot lots of rats & field mice to.

1st. owned Mav88 12 smoothbore, still have it. "Ugmo" still puts venison on the table, learned to Turkey hunt with it too.

These days I take my kids up to the range and we shoot the 22mag and 243 mostly. younger shooters tend to shy away from recoil. Anyway my son likes the 20 and 410 but my daughter has an eye on that Henry goldenboy. hey it's a lever so she has some taste.

Dr.Rob
January 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
Dad started me off on BB guns at 4 or 5... Daisy Red Ryder. Graduated to his Marlin Golden 39A @ around 8 or so. Was shooting his Ruger Mk1 Target pistol by the time I was 9.

Got my first rifle, a Marlin 995 as a Christams present around age 12.

oneshooter
January 12, 2006, 06:57 PM
The first REAL gun I shot was the first one I owned. I was 11yrs old and recieved a Remington Nylon bolt action 22, w/scope. I still have that rifle and have trained all three of my sons, and a bunch of Boy Scouts the basics of marksmanship with it. It is still shot on a regular basis and is still VERY accurate.:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

TexasRifleman
January 12, 2006, 07:03 PM
My first gun, besides the usual Daisy pellet and BB stuff, was a Browning Semi 22 rifle. My dad bought it for me when I was 2, but kept it put up until I was old enough.

They were still made in Belgium then... it's still a blast to shoot.

I bought one of the newer Japanese made models for my son. Looks the same, shoots the same, he likes that we have the same rifle.

First one bought with my own money was a Colt Delta Elite. Bought it a few days after my 21st birthday new in the box in 1988.

AFhack
January 12, 2006, 07:04 PM
My first was a Browning M-2 50 cal tripod mounted in it's very own little red wagon, my parents were the greatest ;)

Though, I didn't get invited to many birthday parties in the neighborhood :(

Working Man
January 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
First non-air gun I shot was either my dad's Sterling .22 or Ruger Single Six...
I think he brought both to the range that day long ago.

Thanks dad.

The first bought was a Ruger P95 followed quickly by a Ruger Redhawk .44.

Average Joe
January 12, 2006, 08:08 PM
A Sears & Roebuck .22 single shot bolt action rifle. I still have it. I cost me $16 dollars from my paperboy money. That was in 1968.

COK
January 12, 2006, 08:24 PM
A .410 single shot shotgun when I was about 6 , I can’t be sure of the make as it was over 40 years ago, My Dad gave it to me as a Birthday present and spend a lot of time with me making sure I understood all the rules of gun safety, We then spent many years together shooting countless boxes of ammo through it before I moved up to a Remington 1100 12 ga which I still have. We then gave the gun to my Grandmother who wanted a small gauge shotgun as she was in her late 70’s. She was one of the best shots I have ever seen with a shotgun and rifle, She used to pick off snakes in her garden with a .22 from 30- 40 ft when she was in her 80’s and hardly ever missed. No longer have the .410 but have her .22.

bulbboy
January 12, 2006, 08:31 PM
Aaahh, my first gun. I saved and saved and scraped and scraped and got me a sweet Davis .380! You can only go downhill from there...

Stevie-Ray
January 12, 2006, 08:59 PM
First shot was from a Mossberg .22, 7 shot semi-automatic with a unique fold down forend. (seems like we pay a bunch extra for these on ARs:D ) It was Heaven on Earth. Thank you Jim, my former brother-in-law, marine Vietnam Vet, and all-around great guy. I still miss you.

A year or so later, (at 12) I got my own; a Stevens bolt action with a 5 shot magazine. Still have it and it still amazes me with it's accuracy.

KodeFore
January 12, 2006, 09:01 PM
M16A1 first ever fired First ever owned was a bargain brand single shot 12 ga. The stock broke before it was ever fired, 45$ straight to the trash can.
m16 aint no gun, m198 155mm, now THAT is a gun.

Atticus
January 12, 2006, 09:05 PM
My first was a 16 gauge Revelation from Western Auto.

redneck2
January 12, 2006, 09:07 PM
Anybody else notice...

probably 90% of the replies are a .22 of some type. When we get threads from newbies "what should be my first gun", maybe we should all think of this

Invisible Swordsman
January 12, 2006, 10:20 PM
First gun I shot was a single shot bolt action .22 in Boy Scout summer camp. My recollection is that we were shooting some kind of .22 shot shell. 1st purchase was a Ruger 10/22. 1st handgun was a Ruger Super Single Six. I still have both.

chrisTx
January 12, 2006, 11:54 PM
a blued lightweight colt double eagle officer's model.

i should NOT have sold it!

Legionnaire
January 12, 2006, 11:59 PM
First gun I ever shot was a magazine fed bolt action .22; I have no idea of the make or model. It belonged to family friends and I shot it as a kid on their farm.

First gun I ever owned was a Mossberg 500 combo shotgun purchased for me by my wife and father-in-law. FIL and I have been hunting together ever since. Still have that 500.

Wags
January 12, 2006, 11:59 PM
First firearm I ever fired was my fathers H&R .22lr Sportsman (inherited to me and still have it). First firearm I ever purchased was a Colt MKIV 70 Series .45ACP Government model. Still kick myself for selling that one 20+ years ago.

airmonkey
January 13, 2006, 04:03 AM
First one shot my Grandpa's Marlin .22 lr. first one I ever owned Mossberg 500 in 20 ga. that my Grandpa bought me for my 16th birthday.

Kodiaz
January 13, 2006, 08:25 AM
A lot of our first guns are .22's because our daddy's started us shooting when we were little kids. People that post here asking for a first gun usually specify for self defense. But if it's a first gun for junior by all means a .22.

only1asterisk
January 13, 2006, 08:37 AM
Dad started me off on BB guns at 4 or 5... Daisy Red Ryder. Graduated to his Marlin Golden 39A @ around 8 or so. Was

Red Ryder and Marlin .22 here as well. By 10 it a Marlin 336 and various 12 and 16ga shotguns. First gun of my own was 12ga 870 Express I bought with money I earned bailing hay when I was 13.

David

nucstl1
January 13, 2006, 10:01 AM
First fired: Garand
First purchased: M1a loaded

Own both and will probably never part with either of them.

Rpriestlyjr
January 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
Outside of BB guns, the first gun I ever shot was my dad's 20 ga. Ithaca 37 while rabbit hunting with him, and not long after that he gave me his first gun. A Stevens M59B bolt action .410. First pistol was his Single Six, and the first gun I bought was a Nylon 66 w/ 500 rds. Still have them all.

Radjxf
January 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
First air rifle owned: Daisy 881 BB/Pellet gun (Xmas gift)
First rifle owned: Marlin model 60 .22LR (still have one)
First handgun fired: Grandpa's Colt Python firing .38sp's
First handgun owned: EAA Witness 9mm--not terribly missed :barf: !

Herself
January 13, 2006, 06:13 PM
For newbie guns, the .22 is good idea even for an adult:

1. The price is lower than other guns
2. The recoil is gentle.
3. The trajectory is flat.
4. Because of 2 and 3, it's easier to shoot accurately with a .22. Hitting what you're aiming at early in the learning process is a good thing. It provides lots of positive feedback.
5. The ammunition is inexpensive.

If a newbie buys a .22 and turns out to not like shooting, he's not out much. A decent .22 is not difficult to sell used. And the same thing applies if the newbie enjoys shooting and wants something bigger: he hasn't spent that much and can likely recover at least half of it to apply to his next gun.

And the .22LR is not a total loss as a self-defense round. The velocity is high (and you can get hollowpoints) and they make a nice loud sound. It's probably not going to stop Mongo the Man-Mountain with one shot; but the bulk of instances of defensive gun use don't involve firing even one shot. You can't do much worse than a .22 (though my little .25 Eibar-type pistol comes to mind...) but it's better than nothing.

Flip side, if you shoot .22s well, you'll shoot accurately with .38 Super, too, and that's not cheap at all. Drat!

--Herself

packerfan
January 13, 2006, 06:25 PM
Quite a good assortment of "starters" here =)

Mine:

First gun technically was a Daisy BB gun. First real shooting experience was a mil. spec. hvy barrel .22 bolt at my middle school shooting club...we actually practiced in the school gymnasium...imagine trying to do that these days. First purchase was a Remington 1100 20 ga. which has lead to may others over the years...first handgun a Glock 21...first rifle a Marlin 336 30-30. Now into tactical type stuff (or at least tactical for CA)...Savage 10fp .223 20", stainless mini-14, Remington 1100 comp master, SA M1A Socom 16, etc...most missed is the Steyr Mannlicher Model M pro I sold for rent 20 years ago!

gp911
January 13, 2006, 08:49 PM
BB guns aside,

First shot: single shot .410
First owned: bolt-action .410(!), wish my brother hadn't cut the barrel and stock down and ruined it...
First bought myself: Glock foh-tay (G23) sold to finance a car repair (paging Jeff Foxworthy)

gp911

Gun_nut
January 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
My first gun i shot was a .22 bolt action rifle and the first gun i owned was a savage model 340a 30-30 bolt action shes sure a beauty..:)

gsmith
January 14, 2006, 04:41 PM
First gun I shot was with the Boys Scouts. It was a .22 bolt.

First gun I purchased was a S&W 681, .357 magnum. I still take this with me to the range more than any other gun. Lots of fun!

G

DevLcL
January 14, 2006, 05:46 PM
1st owned and shot: Marlin Mod 60, 22lr.

I traded a cheap set of golf clubs for it. (I dislike golf :D ) It's still sittin in the safe.

My friend who owned a 10/22 and a .45 got me into shooting. He has since moved to other hobbies... while I'm on #9.

-Dev

kahr40
January 14, 2006, 08:17 PM
When my dad died I inherited a piece of ????? Bauer .25. Fired it once. My first positive shooting experince was when I was hired with a police department. The chief, John Goodfellow, taught me to shoot and to enjoy it. The 2nd gun I owned was a model 10 S&W. Didn't like it. Sold it and got a 686 S&W that I still own. Its still my favorite.

Rob62
January 14, 2006, 09:00 PM
My first gun was a Winchester model 190. This is a semi automatic .22RF rifle. My second gun was a Ruger M77 in 30-06. Both of these guns were stolen in a house burglary shortly after I got them.

I then purchased a Remington 581 a .22RF bolt action rifle that I later sold when I joined the US Army. However in a moment of nostalgia and self relection, I replaced this gun with another 581 and plan on keeping it until I die.

Rob

hms365
January 14, 2006, 09:11 PM
When I was about 12, I saved up enough and my Dad trusted me enough, to get my very own H&R single shot 20 gauge. Recently, I just happen to see the receipt for it, $42. Great little gun, nice and light, and still my favorite for grouse hunting - I got 3 last fall with it.

Chut1st
January 14, 2006, 11:14 PM
1st shot: Dad's S&W Police and Military .38 bought before I was born in '54. Still got it, the original box, cleaning rod and oiled paper. It's still mint.

1st owned: Remington 552 given to me by my father on my 11th birthday. Still got it. Not quite mint 'cause there have been many, many thousands of .22's through it.

1st bought: Remington 788 in .308 Win. Also got my first deer with it.

dodge
January 15, 2006, 12:18 AM
My first was a H&R model 158 Topper 20 gauge given to me for my Chritmas after I turned 12 yo. Still have it and can't count all the small game that fell to this gun. I still shot it at clay pigeons on occassion with the last time almost throwing the gun over my sholder as I forgot how light it was in comparison to wither my 12 gauge or 16 gauge. The first one I ever bought on my own was a old 1893 Mauser in 7x57 which I used for deer hunting for a couple of seasons but never got a deer with it.

Nathan67
January 15, 2006, 12:36 AM
The first gun I shot was my dads 12 ga., not sure of the make. The first gun I owned was a Remington 870 Express Magnum, with synthetic stock. The first handgun I shot and owned was a SW 686 6 in. barrell.

ajax
January 15, 2006, 12:39 AM
Mine was a .410 H&R when I turned 13. I had been shooting since I was 6 or 7 But it was a family tradition to give it on the 13th birthday. Marlin .22 was my first purchased firearm. Model 60 it was.

Eric86GT
January 15, 2006, 12:45 AM
My uncle took me shooting when I was 11. I don't remember exactly what gun it was, but I know it was a 9mm semi-auto pistol. I bought myself an air pistol and a couple air rifles after I turned 16 and would shoot in the garage. I didn't shoot a real rifle for the first time until I was 19 or 20 and it was a 10/22. I bought my first gun when I was 23, a 1942 91/30. I'll never get rid of it.

SAvulgarghost
January 15, 2006, 01:29 AM
Ruger 10/22 for the first gun I ever owned, I got it after study abroad junior year of college in Japan. Great gun, absolutely no regrets about it. Fun as can be and has exploded the head of many a red squirrel. After years of using the trusty pellet gun, I still had a few red squirrels in the yard but after the aquisition of the Ruger, the fox squirrels reign unchallenged.

Smith Model 15 for my second, phenomenal pistol with a trigger that makes everyone who shoots it jealous :neener: and made in 1958, which I think is rather cool for a pistol that locks up tight after a good number of Cor-Bons and is almost rifle-accurate.

Now I need to get some sort of shotgun, centerfire rifle, and an autoloader and my collection is complete!*

*Incomplete until I have at least a dozen revolvers :evil:

raghorn
January 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
The first real firearm I ever shot (BB guns not counted) was a snubnose pistol in .38 or .357 mag. A friend's dad took us to the range when we were about nine years old to shoot it after his house got robbed. It was way too much for me to handle and scared the crap out of me.

The next time was another friend's Remington 572 Fieldmaster when I was 15. I loved it, and my folks bought me one just like it for my 16th birthday. I still have it and shoot it regularly with my kids.

The first pistol I owned was a S&W 2214, followed quickly by a Sig P220; my first shotgun a Remington 870 Wingmaster.

MountainPeak
January 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
First gun I ever owned was a Marlin single shot .22 Model 101. It has a cocking ring, and a gold trigger. I've owned it for about 42 years now. :)

asleepinTucson
January 15, 2006, 06:19 PM
Growing up in NYC, with a very liberal Mom and "yes dear" Father, I had little knowledge of firearms. I had an uncle who let me shoot his BB rifle and then finally got to shoot a 22 with snake shot at clay pidgeons in BoyScout camp. At 18 a friend enlisted in the coast gurad, became a gunnersmate with access to the armory. He brought me in one day to shoot a variety of handguns. I couldn't even hit the paper.

Fast forward to Adult life in Tucson, AZ

first gun shot that I remember: rented S&W 66 3" with wadcutters

First gun bought: Ruger P-95 9mm

Since then have bought and sold many handguns but my favorites are glocks and S&W revolvers. My 686 4" is a favorite, I think because it is nostalgic of the 66 I first shot.

Johnny_Yuma
January 15, 2006, 06:25 PM
.357 Magnum. I was 12. Thanks for the Best Christmas EVER, Dad.

I wish I still had that gun.

If an U.S. Army w/o named Jack who attended UTC reading this remembers buying that gun from me after meeting at a Chick-Fil-A, please write back. I will pay double at least what you paid for it. We both worked for a Ranger named Mark J and had some crazy Thai friends. And I really miss that revolver.

220_Swift
January 15, 2006, 06:40 PM
First gun I ever shot, and owned was a Remington model 12c (I think) with an octagon barrel that my dad gave me when I was 8. The first gun I bought on my own was a Remington 700 Classic in 220 Swift. Both were lost in a house fire years ago. I'm trying to find replacements for both now that funds permit.

BrianB
May 31, 2008, 03:15 PM
First gun I shot was an old Remington Speedmaster .22.

First gun purchase was my XD. Like it, but it shoots a lot straighter than I do. Well, back to the range!

xjchief
May 31, 2008, 04:02 PM
The first gun I shot was smith 38 special when I was in 5th grade. I got to fire 1 shot.

The second was an M60 in ROTC spring camp. :D The third was an M16A1 also in spring camp.:D

The first gun I bought was an AR-15 when I turned 18. I bought it because it was the only gun I had any idea of how to field strip and shoot. I still have it and don't plan on ever giving it up.

Timthinker
May 31, 2008, 06:07 PM
The first firearm I owned was a Ruger 10/22 given to me by my father when I was an adolescent. Now, the first firearm I purchased was a clip-fed Remington 581 some years ago. Thanks for asking your question, since it led me down memory lane.

Timthinker

Vegaslaith
May 31, 2008, 06:35 PM
First gun shot:1911 in 9mm
First gun owned: Winchester 1300 12GA

44AMP
May 31, 2008, 07:00 PM
First gun I ever shot was Mom's rifle, a JC Higgins single shot bolt action .22.

First gun I owned was a Winchester model 270 .22, my 14th birthday present.

Dsparil
May 31, 2008, 07:25 PM
my first gun overall was a .22 LR marlin carbine. my first handgun was a beretta 92fs.

pappy
May 31, 2008, 07:25 PM
It was way too many years ago to remember what the first gun I ever shot was other than it would have been one of my Dad's and I was probably pretty young. My guess would be that I now own it because my Dad, like me, never ever let loose of one once it was added to the collection which I inherited when he passed. The first gun of my own was a Winchester Model 57 pump that I was given for my birthday. I do not recall how old I was, but Dad sawed off the stock because I was too small to reach the trigger with it shouldered. He saved the piece and later glued it back on when I grew, looks tacky but I wouldn't trade that gun for anything.........

Boris Barowski
May 31, 2008, 07:29 PM
shot: Heckler & Koch USP .45 ACP
owned: Marlin 336W

borrowed the HK from a friend, still love that one. Great caliber to start shooting :D

plinky
May 31, 2008, 07:45 PM
First shot, my Grandpa's Win. 62 pump .22. That little gun had an awesome solid feel to it. My brother has it now.

First owned, Win. 670 in .243. My Dad pretty much picked it out and it was a good pick. We did a little accurizing and it shot very well. Sold it to a school buddy 20 some years ago when I needed money and he still has it. :cuss:

rugbyer81
May 31, 2008, 07:47 PM
First I shot: Ruger 10/22 when I was probably 8 or 9.

First I owned: Beretta AL391 Urika when I was 15.

graybeard321
May 31, 2008, 07:52 PM
First gun, i shot was a remmington model 31 16 gauge shotgun. The first gun I purchased was a matched set of berretta model 76 in 22 lr for me and the wife's 1st Anniversary 35 years ago.

Ativanivar
May 31, 2008, 08:25 PM
My father gave me a Winchester Model 1200 20ga when I turned 13. I still have that gun, and all the great memories of he and I hunting together.

subierex
May 31, 2008, 08:28 PM
Smith 586, 6". I miss it dearly.

no_problem
May 31, 2008, 08:34 PM
Moisin Nagant 1891 with octogonal receiver. First boy o ammo was Norma 7.62x54RR at a buck a round...in 1982.

pyle
May 31, 2008, 08:37 PM
My very first gun was a Winchester 20 gauge shotgun - single shot. I remember looking at it every time I went into the local OTASCO. Best I can recall - I was in the 7th grade when I bought it (think it cost about $50).

Although my father had been in the military (won shooting awards) and had a 12 gauge shotgun of his own - for some reason he was opposed to the purchase but not so much that he would deny me my desire (God bless him for that). I remember his exact words today. "Son, you can buy that gun but I can't promise you when you'll be able to shoot it - we don't have a place to shoot right now - you know." I didn't even care - I just knew I had to have that gun.

It hung on a gun rack that I had made in a shop class for about 3 years before I shot it for the first time. :eek: That was one of the best days of my life. Actually, my brother-in-law took me out shooting it. I remember running about 3 boxes of shells through it. I remember the barrel getting hot as I shot one shell after another. Still have it today - in great condition.

blkbrd666
May 31, 2008, 09:14 PM
My first rifle was an Ithaca M-49 in .22 s,l,lr(Thanks Dad!). My first pistol was an Arminius HW7 in .22 lr,magnum(Thanks Grandpa!). I still have them...pictured below. My first personal purchase was a new Walther PPKS in .22(Thanks Self!...and Mom&Dad for tuition!:))

If you enjoyed reading about "What was your first gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!