City dwellers move to country and are shocked to find hunting !!!

PDA

scout26
January 11, 2006, 07:10 PM
From http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/top/4_1_JO19_HUNTING_S1.htm

Frankfort is in the far south suburbs of Chicago

Residents: hunter too close for comfort
Frankfort landowner: Has right to shoot on his own property

By Janet Lundquist
staff writer

FRANKFORT A landowner hunting geese on his property has ruffled the feathers of some residents on the south side of town.

The property in question is a field along 116th Avenue between Laraway and Steger roads that is destined for residential development. The land is partially surrounded by three subdivisions that are within the village's boundaries.

Next spring, the landowner, Gander Builders, intends to seek annexation into the village, officials said. For now, the landowner apparently spends some time hunting on the property.

The land is unincorporated, and the hunting is legal.

But some residents living in the neighborhoods around the vacant land say they are worried about safety mainly for their children as they board school buses in the morning, sometimes while a hunt is under way.

"If they wanted to hunt, they could have gone farther south where there's no subdivisions," said one woman who lives near the property but did not want her name printed. "We just don't want that around here. Accidents happen."

The resident said she contacted Will County sheriff's police about the situation, and they told her that the hunting was legal and that she should not have moved to the country if she did not like hunting.

Another resident who did not want her name printed said the hunting is "disturbing."

"It's just going to take one kid getting hurt," she said. "I know it's their land; they own it. But the chance, the opportunity, shouldn't even be there because hunters have accidents all the time."

Phone calls and e-mail to Gander Builders were not returned.

It is legal to hunt with a shotgun on private property if the hunting is done at least 100 yards away from an inhabited dwelling, according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. If the nearest residence is less than 100 yards away, the hunter must get the property owner's permission.

Will County sheriff's spokesman Pat Barry said the department receives numerous complaints about legal hunting across the county. The calls are mainly from residents who have moved to rural areas from more populated areas and are surprised by the hunting, he said.

The residents contacted Frankfort Mayor Jim Holland, who said village officials looked into the residents' complaints and found the hunting was legal. Hunting or shooting firearms is not legal in the village of Frankfort.

"I can understand the concerns of the residents, but I believe the laws are structured in such a way that there is basic safety being considered," Holland said.

The hunting will end when the property is annexed into the village, Holland added.

"Maybe he's a safe hunter, but the point is, grow up. Move on to another cornfield," the first resident said. "If people ask me what I think about Gander Builders, I'm going to tell them."

"If they wanted to hunt, they could have gone farther south where there's no subdivisions," said one woman who lives near the property but did not want her name printed.
If you didn't want to be around hunting don't move to the country/rural areas. :cuss: :banghead:

"It's just going to take one kid getting hurt," she said. "I know it's their land; they own it. But the chance, the opportunity, shouldn't even be there because hunters have accidents all the time."
Uhhh, sorry, WRONG !!! Someone else here can look up the CDC statistics that show that Hunting is one of the, if not the safest sport.

If you enjoyed reading about "City dwellers move to country and are shocked to find hunting !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Creeping Incrementalism
January 11, 2006, 07:20 PM
These city slickers seem to forget that driving kills about four times as many people as shooting does in the U.S. If they are so concerned about safety and think guns are too dangerous to be around, they shouldn't even let their kids near the street.

And the gall of the resident who said, "grow up, move to another cornfield..." What else to say to this than, get used to the fact that people hunt in the country, and move to another subdivision. It reminds me of how airports that used to be in the countryside get noise abatement restrictions from people who move close to it. If you don't like airport noise, why did you move next to an airport??? Anyway, I once lived a hundred yards from the fence of a small International airport, and the noise didn't bother me any.

C. Rabbit
January 11, 2006, 07:25 PM
The resident said she contacted Will County sheriff's police about the situation, and they told her that the hunting was legal and that she should not have moved to the country if she did not like hunting.

Darn right. Somebody needs to tell those idiots off.

"And I know all about hunting, because my great uncle went hunting once!"
Not only that, they want to control what others do with their land.

"Maybe he's a safe hunter, but the point is, grow up. Move on to another cornfield," the first resident said. "If people ask me what I think about Gander Builders, I'm going to tell them."

I'm sure all decent people will shun those nefarious fiends once it comes out that they build homes next to fields where legal activities sometimes transpire. And grow up?! Just because you parked your royal *** next to him, you want to force other people to accomodate to your blissininny fears? And what does growing up have to do with it at all? Or do you mean, turn into a sheep that shies away from offending the littlest fly?

Sheesh. City folk*. They move into the country, expecting quant rustic life and get upset when people actually live their lives out their.

CR

*This is a generalization, but, as is the usually the case when I make generalizations, I don't care.
:p

The Real Hawkeye
January 11, 2006, 07:28 PM
This reminds me of an acquaintance who owned a cabin in the mountains of Vermont. He told me that neighbors, who recently moved in the property adjacent to theirs, called the police soon after moving in (when hunting season started) to report gun fire. Her report was met with laughter by the policeman who answered the phone. He informed her that it was hunting season, and that's why there was gun fire. Didn't get a follow up, but people uncomfortable with guns and hunting should either buy a thousand acres of country land and make their home in the middle of it, or don't move to the country.

Thefabulousfink
January 11, 2006, 07:47 PM
Mabey these concerned parents should take their kids to the city to play. I mean after all, what kind of responsible parent would allow their children out of their sight when an EVIL gunowner is about... much less a redneck, hillbilly, NRA, hunter/extremist.:eek:

Standing Wolf
January 11, 2006, 07:51 PM
"If they wanted to hunt, they could have gone farther south where there's no subdivisions," said one woman who lives near the property but did not want her name printed. "We just don't want that around here. Accidents happen."

Sounds like a disgruntled Kerry voter to me.

ReadyontheRight
January 11, 2006, 07:53 PM
"We just don't want that around here. Accidents happen."

Yet she allows school buses, cars and probably even pools in the neighborhood.:rolleyes:

ReadyontheRight
January 11, 2006, 07:54 PM
I suggest that the residents who are forced to give up hunting all start up hobby farms. PIG hobby farms.:evil:

DonP
January 11, 2006, 07:57 PM
I live in Frankfort, have for the last 15 years, and yes the place is in the middle of one of the fastest growing Counties (Will) in the US for the last 3 years.

The guy walking the field for birds and rabbits was probably one of the owners of Gander developments. The field is huge and her development is a brand new billiard tabel flat, treeless development and is an easy half mile from the fields they are talking about. What a Marroon she is.

This Soccer Mom is typical of the newest crop of Chicago immigrants we have now, all fleeing Daley's taxes and corruption in Cook County. But dragging their "Liberal control" mindset with them all the way. It's like the folks that buy less expensive homes in the O'Hare glide path and then are shocked to discover an airport in their back yard and want to sue somebody.

These folks move into a new development and immediately draft a 40+ page "covenant" that controls every aspect of their little enclave; no above ground swimming pools, the kind of vehicle you can park in your driveway (I'm not kidding about that) the kind of outbuilding you may (or may not) build on your own property, how many lawn ornaments you may have at one time etc..

Holland and the new Chief are pretty decent people. For the last four years Frankfort has actually REFUNDED tax money to us because they had a surplus that went unspent. Imagine that, politicians that give you your money back.

Our last Police Chief was a real PITA that gave me a real hard time when I applied for my original C&R license. He actually called me personally to tell me he was "denying the request". Then, when I told him he didn't have that authority, my letter was for information purposes only, he really got bent out of shape. I got my C&R license and he got voted out of office and then lost the next 3 elections for other county offices. Good riddance.

XD_fan

:what:

Wow, this "fact" certainly comes as a surprise to me. I've been hunting on and off for about 40 years now and remember about a dozen or so accidents in all that time. And a couple of those "accidents" were a spouse shooting a spouse. In both of those there was a second shot to the "accident". I don't recall hearing about a hunting accident here in Washington in the 10+ years I've lived here. Just amongst my living family we probably have about 300 years experience with zero accidents.

ReadyontheRight
My favorite is the stories of the city folk who build their McMansions out in the woods or the fields by the river and then are shocked when Fluffy the poodle gets attacked by WILD Animals!:eek:

Old NFO
January 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
Here we go again... It's for the CHILDREN... My A**... I think Don hit the nail on the head- They drag their "liberal" expectations out to the country and are upset when reality bites them....:fire:

Pilot
January 11, 2006, 08:11 PM
It reminds me of how airports that used to be in the countryside get noise abatement restrictions from people who move close to it. If you don't like airport noise, why did you move next to an airport??? Anyway, I once lived a hundred yards from the fence of a small International airport, and the noise didn't bother me any.

That's a great analogy and one that is close to my heart as I encounter this all the time. It would comfort me if I saw people hunting in my area. It means decent people live here.

Its a liberal control issue. They don't do it, so they don't think you should do it either. Just like flying small aircraft. They're SO DANGEROUS! OMG!

Thefabulousfink
January 11, 2006, 08:16 PM
What gets me is that they are complaining about hunting waterfowl. That is probably the safest form of hunting next to live animal trapping.:rolleyes:

Barbara
January 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
It's not just guns. A lot of them are just clueless about everything involved in living where the sidewalk ends.

Ottawa County in Michigan gives out pamphlets with a scratch and sniff of a manure for those city folks considering moving in.

Waitone
January 11, 2006, 10:29 PM
Same idiots who would be shocked to learn milk comes from cows.

FRIENDLY
January 11, 2006, 10:35 PM
If you think they dont lnow where milk comes from just think how they would respond when told where ham and eggs come from

Bruce H
January 11, 2006, 10:45 PM
There is something that needs hunted down and killed. It ain't the geese folks.

Waitone
January 11, 2006, 10:50 PM
"YOU GET EGGS OUT OF WHAT?

Lupinus
January 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
I hate these people. If you don't friggin like it get the hell out of MY neighborhood. People who move into a neighborhood and then bitch trying to get things changed should be slapped by packs of deranged clowns.

Kim
January 11, 2006, 11:58 PM
One city lady has moved into our little town. She is now on the City council. She went for a walk on a trail there. She saw a bow hunter. Just saw him walking along the trail not hunting at the time. She wanted to ban bow hunting in the entire little town. Then she wanted to ban bow hunting 300 feet from her little trail. It did not pass. She was pissed. Now she wants to make everyone in the little town recyle their garbage. Somethig tells me she will not be on the City Council next election.:cuss:

drinks
January 12, 2006, 12:14 AM
I grew up in very small towns, we had a cow , chickens and rabbits, in town.
We could hunt doves 2 blocks away, this was the '50's, a 12-13 year old girl in school who had just moved there from Michigan or Wisconsin or some such place, was asked how you git milk from a cow.
Her reply was " You pull down on the horns and the milk comes out"
She was sorta giggled at by the girls, even the 6-7 year olds and absolutely laughed out the recess yard by the boys, some of the kinder coments involved letting some boys pull her horns down for her.
:D

progunner1957
January 12, 2006, 12:24 AM
AMEN too that!!:D
"Maybe he's a safe hunter, but the point is, grow up. Move on to another cornfield," the first resident said.
She needs to grow up and wake up to the fact that city people with money to burn do not own and run the world.

The guy who owns the land owned it waaaaaaaaaay before these pricks moved in next to him - and he is supposed to stop doing a LEGAL activity on HIS land, just because they say so?? No freaking way. I hope the bird hunter tells them all "GFY.":D :D

cbsbyte
January 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
I know the feeling, I live in a semi-rural area of Western Mass. It is still a great place to live, since the wealth poured in from the tourist, during the fall season. Old run down mill towns, have been remodeled, and are now booming with tourist trade. It all started in the late sixities when the New Yorkers found the place and now have made the area into a fashion disctrict of New York City. I rarley see hunters during deer season, many have decided to flee to New York State, Vermont or Maine to hunt, because of the assine restrictions put in place in certain towns that are now controlled by ex New Yorkers, restricting hunting to state forest. City, county land and owns own land are off limits. Like clock work every year when a hunting season starts, the local newspaper, run by ex New York Times journalist, editorial runs anti-hunting and gun pieces. It probably be less than a generation until the state legislators ban all hunting do to the increase pressure from animal rights activists and people who dislike hunting. The eastern part of the state is just as bad with the urban Bostonites moving into rural areas Northwest, or Southwest of Boston and into Southern NH. :mad:

Kingcreek
January 12, 2006, 02:19 AM
I wonder what Soccer Mommy will say when the geese start doing their goose-messin on the new play ground, ball diamond, or little master Hilfigger slips and falls in it and (GASP!) greases up his new soccer uniform!
These people make me sick.

Malfader13
January 12, 2006, 02:51 AM
We have the same problem here in Colorado, becoming Calirado, and the liberal, safety nazi ideals that come with it. One of my friend that I shoot with often has access to 50 acres with a lake on it. We shoot there at times, no hunting at this point. There is a sub division about a quarter of a mile away and he has actually had the cops called on him. From what he told me was the cops sat on a hill, watched him, the property owner, and a couple other people for a while. They came down and actually confronted everyone, accusing them of shooting in the direction of the subdivision. Now the owner being ex-military, quickly called them on the foolish accusation and pointed out the targets that were set a safe direction against a short dirt berm. The cops went so far as to say the people in the subdivision said they heard bullets whizzing over them. Once again he pointed out the targets, that it was his property and being out in the country what they were doing was legal. The cops left and haven't been back. I wasn't there for all of this and may not be giving a 100% account of the occurrence but I know I have it accurate from what my friend told me. It is not only irritating to see these people come in and try to change everything, but that the cops in this case seemed to want to back them up. I am glad to see that some where in this country the authorities actually still know the law.

longeyes
January 12, 2006, 03:04 AM
But some residents living in the neighborhoods around the vacant land say they are worried about safety mainly for their children as they board school buses in the morning, sometimes while a hunt is under way.

Another resident who did not want her name printed said the hunting is "disturbing."

The same old mantras of modern life: Safety, "accidents happen," "disturbing," "one kid getting hurt." These are people who want to live in a hermetically-sealed suburban cocoon where reality is something that happens on reality tv and excitement is something in a video game. They worry about kids boarding school buses when they should worry about what these kids learn at school and the life experiences that they are never going to have because of the fear that there might be a "surprise" up ahead.

Pathetic.

Rem700SD
January 12, 2006, 03:17 AM
That makes me really appeciate my parents' home in East Texas where I grew up. I can still fire up the Browning 1919 in the back yard and no one bats an eye.:neener: 130+acres of back yard, that is!

UWstudent
January 12, 2006, 04:49 AM
clueless individuals who aren't knowledgable about hunting (b/c they never done it) cannot be moving into the country demanding the same laws as their cities

71Commander
January 12, 2006, 05:07 AM
Same idiots who would be shocked to learn milk comes from cows.

And chocolate milk comes from where?:confused:

City folk=Blissninnies:barf:

Jubei
January 12, 2006, 08:37 AM
"If they wanted to hunt, they could have gone farther south where there's no subdivisions,"

Until you clods moved in, this wasn't a subdivision, it was open country.

Jubei

Pilot
January 12, 2006, 09:02 AM
The same old mantras of modern life: Safety, "accidents happen," "disturbing," "one kid getting hurt." These are people who want to live in a hermetically-sealed suburban cocoon where reality is something that happens on reality tv and excitement is something in a video game. They worry about kids boarding school buses when they should worry about what these kids learn at school and the life experiences that they are never going to have because of the fear that there might be a "surprise" up ahead.

Pathetic.

Well said Longeyes. And it is pathetic.

1911 guy
January 12, 2006, 09:28 AM
Helped my Uncle build his house here in Ohio, nearest neighbor was just over 3/4 mile away. Now he's surrounded. Blissninny across the street calls P.D. or F.D. anytime there is gunfire or open burning. Both are legal in his neck of the woods. F.D. said next time she calls and they respond to legal happenings, she's getting a bill for turnout expenses. Uncle fires up his burn barrel at least once a week, now. :evil:

ccw007
January 12, 2006, 11:08 AM
Things like this just burns me up. If I was the land owner I would invite everyone from the high road to come up for a duck hunt:evil:.
I have learned not to use the word "never" when talking about future plans. Well I will never move to a development with a homeowner association.... Never ever it is not going to happen ever, I promise. I hope my wife reads this :D. She was talking with her mom, and her mom was saying we should move to one of these yuppie developments with houses right on top of each other. I told them we would move there after I was dead because if I wanted to do something to my house and they said no I would tell them to go **** themselves and do it anyway. Her mom said they could foreclose on your home if you did. I said not they want because I am not moving somewhere like this in the first place. You could tell it annoyed her. She is really not bad and does not get into our business, but I wanted to end any thoughts of moving somewhere like this.

Manedwolf
January 12, 2006, 11:21 AM

No, no...I think more deaths and injuries are caused by distracted suburban soccer-moms on their cellphones plowing into someone with their oversized mallmobile SUVs.

Tequila_Sauer
January 12, 2006, 11:31 AM
"Maybe he's a safe hunter, but the point is, grow up. Move on to another cornfield," the first resident said.

Not that it's true, but I have a crystal clear mental picture of this person, just based on this statement. Probably drives a car with bumper stickers that say "Bring our troops home" and "Stop the dying in Iraq" while he/she zooms through traffic 15 miles over the speed limit cutting cars off to get ahead and following way too close behind the cars ahead.

Happens all the time here in SoFla, people are only as compassionate as their convenience will lead.

CAPTAIN MIKE
January 12, 2006, 11:35 AM
I believe this should be put into that special file we call "For Crying Out Loud"

Crosshair
January 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
These people should just put their kids into one of these and be done with it.
http://gra.midco.net/5937/313_bubbleboy.gif
It worked for the class hamster, it should be good enough for their kids.

roo_ster
January 12, 2006, 11:46 AM
Next thing you know, these knucklehead ex-Chicagoans are gonna object that cattle leave foul-smelling flops in thier wake.

StopTheGrays
January 12, 2006, 12:23 PM
And chocolate milk comes from where?:confused:

You lift the cow's tail for that. ;)

xd9fan
January 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
These people make this a nation of cowards. :fire:

These "adults" are spoiled little children.

ball3006
January 12, 2006, 01:34 PM
from those black and white cows. You pull the front two for white milk and the back two for choco.....I haven't figured how the cheese becomes yellow though............When I retire, in a year or less, I will settle on my land in east Texas. You should hear all the gunfire when the clock strikes midnight on new year's eve. Sounds like a war goin' on. When I first bought the property, the neighbors were always telling me of the "gun nuts down the road". Little did they know......................:evil: chris3

SaintofKillers
January 12, 2006, 03:33 PM
Moved away from Frankfort 7 years ago for this and other reasons.

Way to many city dwellers moving into the area for peace and quiet and then whining about how there is no place to shop.

Well you folks got it now dont ya.

Congestion in that area and just north in Mokena is horrible.

Will county is soon to be like Crook.

TheEgg
January 12, 2006, 03:52 PM
We own a few hundred acres in western South Dakota, just east of the Black Hills. The land is rolling hills and is just great if you like wide open spaces. Human population is pretty sparse.

A few years ago, some people from California purchased a few acres next door and built a great big house on top of a hill. After they moved in, they got bent out of shape about hunters, hunting, etc. on our land. Tough noogies, hunting is a way of life in those parts -- not gonna change for them!

In additon, they hated the wind. Now I gotta tell you that in that part of the world, a 25 mph wind is considered a light breeze -- it does tend to get a little windy there sometimes. But why anyone who does not like wind would build their house on the open prairie on top of a hill, is beyond me.

Anyway, they sold the house and moved back to their safe little liberal world in California.

sturmruger
January 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
This was a serious issue when I lived in IA. Not only did people complain about gunfire they would just about loose it when it was time to start spreading pig manure everywhere.

If you like the city don't move to the country. My wife and I live in a small subdivision, but I looked until I found one without any covenants.

petrel800
January 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
I live in Atlanta, and this is a real problem close to where I live. Since traffic has developed into a huge problem, people have been buying small homes knocking them over, and then rebuilding new monstrocities. Well, the neighborhood behind me has seen a lot of this.

We also live very close to PDK Airport. I am now innindated with phone calls and flyers from idiots who just moved into the neighborhood and are upset that, oh my god, planes make noise when they take off and land.

As much fun as it is to give them hell when they call about their anti capitalism . . . I mean anti airport club, I just find it amazing that people are either a.) that stupid, or b.) have that much of an "after me you come first attitude."

scout26
January 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
The Egg,

How much for the house on the hill ??

Fred Fuller
January 12, 2006, 04:34 PM
City slickers who move to the country are also shocked to discover that roosters crow in the morning (EVERY morning) and you can't make them stop, that cow flops stink (other manure does too, and some folks might even bring in a truckload of it and scatter it in the field right next door), that farmers sometimes drive tractors at all hours of the day and night (in the field right next door), that old men often drive old pickup trucks reeeaaaalllly sslllloooowww down the highway (and weave a lot too, while they inspect the cows, crops, etc), that dirt roads have dust half the time and mud the other half- the list is too long to enumerate. But they are shocked, SHOCKED I say, to discover that country life is different.

lpl/nc

Woodland_Annie
January 12, 2006, 04:56 PM
Sounds like the kind of people who move to the country to get away from it all and then build a McDonald's on every corner!:banghead:

But not all transplanted urbanites are like that...me, for one. I love the air, seeing trees, do a little plinking, and playing with the dogs. That's what it's all about, folks!;)

TheEgg
January 12, 2006, 06:58 PM
At the time, about 5 years ago, I think they sold it for about $350,000 which included ~ 5 acres. It was about a 3,000 square footer, if I remember right, very nicely appointed.

Over the last few years, both property and homes have continued to rise in the area, so I don't know what it would be today.

Sistema1927
January 12, 2006, 08:19 PM
Just like the idiots who move next to an airport and then complain about the noise :banghead:

We need more chlorine in the shallow end of the gene pool

V4Vendetta
January 12, 2006, 08:37 PM
"Just like the idiots who move next to an airport and then complain about the noise"

I agree. I live in the woods & hear gun fire all the time. I don't mind. At least I know it's at animals & not some drug dealers executing someone. Uzi's & shotguns sound differently. Those folks who don't like it should move back to the city. I praise the police for not doing anything on this matter. They make cops look good.:)

xd9fan
January 12, 2006, 08:39 PM
We own a few hundred acres in western South Dakota, just east of the Black Hills. The land is rolling hills and is just great if you like wide open spaces. Human population is pretty sparse.

A few years ago, some people from California purchased a few acres next door and built a great big house on top of a hill. After they moved in, they got bent out of shape about hunters, hunting, etc. on our land. Tough noogies, hunting is a way of life in those parts -- not gonna change for them!

In additon, they hated the wind. Now I gotta tell you that in that part of the world, a 25 mph wind is considered a light breeze -- it does tend to get a little windy there sometimes. But why anyone who does not like wind would build their house on the open prairie on top of a hill, is beyond me.

Anyway, they sold the house and moved back to their safe little liberal world in California.

I'm sure they thought you were savages as well.....some people:rolleyes:

V4Vendetta
January 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
Does anyone have a e-mail address where I can send the cops in that town a "Good decision" email?

Woodland_Annie
January 12, 2006, 08:59 PM
Frankfort IL Police: Administrator@frankfortpolice.net

Mayor Jim Holland: mayorvillageboard@villageoffrankfort.com

Will County Sheriff has no email address but here is their web site: http://www.willcosheriff.org/

Hope this helps.:)

Lupinus
January 12, 2006, 09:23 PM
people like that make me wish I had the money for a few hundred acres so I could plop a house in the middle of it and not be bothered by anyone, then if they did manage to move in and bugged me somehow I'd start a cattle operation on the property right next to theres, hopefully the wind would be right too :D

STW
January 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
An unnoticed fallout from the "Californians," "New Yorkers," and "Bostonians" moving into an area is that the locals tend to paint them all with the same brush. I moved to Billings, MT last month from Carlsbad, CA (on the beach 30 miles north of San Diego). I've noticed a few folks look at me sideways and seem to have certain expectations because of my last home. For example, the DMV here now requires proof that you have a right to be in the US for a drivers license. When I mentioned that I'd just go up the street to the court house for a copy the face of the lady helping me went from sullen to smiling. All of a sudden I changed from a Californian to a Montanan.

I imagine more folks will be surprised if they get me talking about such themes as grazing rights on federal land, water rights, ranching and farming practises, mining, land use, The Department of the Interior, etc., etc. My views are colored by an appreciation of history, facts, and too many relatives working as ranchers, roughnecks, and farmers now and in the past not to know that the Rockies are not the Berkshires. (I own a gun or two too.):D

Note: One of the problems of those other types moving to an area is that they do buy big bunches of land and procede to force their views. The man now owning my grandfathers ranch closed down a hunting access road that had been used for decades and also shut down access to an old mineral spring that I remember swimming in as a child. He is a money guy in Manhattan and can afford very good lawyers. His eastern attitude "it's mine, stay away" is gradually changing the west.:(

cracked butt
January 13, 2006, 02:21 PM
There's a reason why people in Wisconsin call people from the Chicago area 'FIBS' along with various other terms.

strambo
January 13, 2006, 03:01 PM
"If they wanted to hunt, they could have gone farther south where there's no subdivisions," They did...then someone went and built darn subdivisions around it. Are they supposed to keep buying land ahead of the developments and move each time? When they bought the boring house with no character, they probably thought "backs to greenspace" was a great selling point.

Woodland_Annie
January 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
There's a reason why people in Wisconsin call people from the Chicago area 'FIBS' along with various other terms.Sorry, the only thing I can come up with for FIBS is Festering Immature Butt Sores.;)

But what does it really stand for?

CypherNinja
January 13, 2006, 03:52 PM
Sorry, the only thing I can come up with for FIBS is Festering Immature Butt Sores.;)

But what does it really stand for?

That might actually be it. :evil:

Anyway, Crosshair, what episode was that from? I'll have to watch it. :cool:

50caliber123
January 13, 2006, 05:16 PM
Let me say something about a certain "New Yorker" I work with. She's more extreme than others, I bet, but it proves city ignorance. One of her friends in Michigan, where I live, work, and unforttunately, met her was shot by police for mugging somebody and running from the cops. He had a weapon, did not listen to the police yelling at him to drop the weapon and stop, they shot him. She was angry. "I can't believe this! Police shooting people is outrageous!" Maybe the guy shouldn't have committed armed robbery, and ran from the police.... anyway, she feels uncomfortable with the amount of guns owned by Michigan residents and how unfair that "someone in Michigan will shoot back, rather than fight unarmed if attacked", so she brags about illegally purchased weapons and body armor to protect herself. A hypoctrie in my book. If you don't like a place YOU moved to, you DO NOT have the right to make everyone think and do the things you want them to to make you happy.

scout26
January 13, 2006, 06:51 PM
FIBS* is what the Wisconsin Border Patrol, errrr State Troopers use describe people driving the vehicles they pull over, as "Revenue Generators" is not politically correct.

There should be a sign at the border that says "Welcome to Wisconsin, Hand Over All Your Money, Now Go Home."

* "F'ing Illinois B*st*rds"

Ares45
January 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
Seems to be a recurring theme. Same thing is happening in my area. Makes me wonder exactly what the city slickers expected of country living...

More PO'd Urbanites (http://www.nwobserver.com/articles/2006/01/13/local_news/top_story/1hunting.txt)

TrapperReady
January 13, 2006, 10:00 PM
Scout26 - I find it humorous that you're complaining about WI taking money from Illinoisans. Going the other way, we have a $1.50 toll booth as soon as we cross the state line on I-294, plus a bunch more as we continue south.

My mom still lives in the Chicago 'burbs (where I was born and raised), and it's amazing how when you cross into Illinois the speed limit drops, but traffic moves faster (until stopped by the toll booth snarls).

You see, in other surrounding states, the speed limit is kinda-sorta adhered to much of the time. If it's posted 65mph, then you're taking a chance driving much over 70mph. In Chicago traffic, a posted 55mph is meaningless, since a lot of folks drive 75mph or faster. It's no wonder they get pulled over.

There should be a sign at the border that says "Welcome to Wisconsin, Hand Over All Your Money, Now Go Home."

You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

Crosshair
January 14, 2006, 01:13 AM
CypherNinja

Don't know the episode name. It is the one where the home schooled kid wants to go to public school to see what it is like. His parents put him in there so he doesn't get hurt. Funny one to watch.

Woodland_Annie
January 14, 2006, 07:52 AM
You see, in other surrounding states, the speed limit is kinda-sorta adhered to much of the time. If it's posted 65mph, then you're taking a chance driving much over 70mph. In Chicago traffic, a posted 55mph is meaningless, since a lot of folks drive 75mph or faster. It's no wonder they get pulled over.Funny, the same thing happens in Cleveland on the Shoreway (I-90/SR-2) every day. The speed limit is 50 mph; and a Cleveland police officer clocked me doing 75 in that stretch and waved "Howdy" with a big grin on his face as I drove by him.:uhoh: He didn't pull me over, although I was kinda embarrassed.

Nowadays, though, the police and mayor get along better than they did then, so they might stop people going 25 over the speed limit.;)

Fair warning to you potential speed-demons.:evil:

CypherNinja
January 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Funny, the same thing happens in Cleveland on the Shoreway (I-90/SR-2) every day. The speed limit is 50 mph; and a Cleveland police officer clocked me doing 75 in that stretch and waved "Howdy" with a big grin on his face as I drove by him.:uhoh: He didn't pull me over, although I was kinda embarrassed.

Nowadays, though, the police and mayor get along better than they did then, so they might stop people going 25 over the speed limit.;)

Fair warning to you potential speed-demons.:evil:

HAHAHA!!! I know exactly what your talking about. A couple years ago I was going to Linolcn Electric Welding School and most mornings fastlane traffic would be going 90mph around the corner where 90 merges with Rt2.

Some days it was like driving in a road rally. :D

The cops have been clamping down the last few years, though.:(

Not real hard, but enough that most people don't exceed 70 anymore.

22WMR
January 21, 2006, 10:45 PM
Ottawa County in Michigan gives out pamphlets with a scratch and sniff of a manure for those city folks considering moving in.

I thought that was Allegan County?

I get a kick out of people who move around my area in ottawa county. It is on the border of allegan and near the lake... people sob all the time about this area. Should have thought about that before you moved here.

If you enjoyed reading about "City dwellers move to country and are shocked to find hunting !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!