Luger Bang bang---Crack!

PDA

Wildalaska
April 9, 2003, 12:54 AM
Was semi aggravated today, so took my 1916 Erfurt Luger out of the truck (dont worry purists its a well worn shooter), loaded up some reloads and started blasting. The first shot was dead on, noticed the second and third flying around. It jammed on the fourth and I could barely get the toggel open. Totally jammed on the firth, and when I got the toggle open, the breech block literally fell apart in my hands. I t had a crack half way across and was shattered where it fits into the toggel. No other damage I can see. The broken piece looked virtually crystalline. Granted its a 90 year old abused gun, but I am sort of bummed.

Anybody else ever have an experience like this?

BTW anybody got a breech block, cheap?

WildsturmunddrangAlaska

If you enjoyed reading about "Luger Bang bang---Crack!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
April 9, 2003, 01:17 AM
:(

I just sold a handful of Luger barrels online for a friend; I'll ask him what he did with the rest of the guns... ;)

Wildalaska
April 9, 2003, 01:25 AM
Hey Thanks Tam...bet ya would have loved to see my face when pieces of metal came off in my hand when I got the breech opened..it was like....

:what:

Good thing that by now, livin in Alaska and workin where I work, I am immune to the sight of a busted gun..

Although I did remeber cringing when some kid brought in a pre ban Galil that he blew up..

WilddergrosseAlaska

Blackhawk
April 9, 2003, 01:55 AM
People tend to think that hardened, tempered steel is stable. It's not. As it ages, its crystalline structure changes for the worse.

Everything man makes deteriorates. :(

WonderNine
April 9, 2003, 03:54 AM
Old metal is not the same as modern metal. Lots of sulfur in the old stuff compared to modern. It is more brittle.

Al Thompson
April 9, 2003, 07:20 AM
Hey Wild, see if you can find John Lawson here or on TFL. He's in SeaTac and is a Luger guy.

BigG
April 9, 2003, 08:49 AM
Bummer. Hope you can find a part to get your shooter back in operation. I always thought the weak spot would be the pivot pin.

mete
April 9, 2003, 10:16 AM
" virtually crystalline" ? all metals have a crystalline structure. For some idea of the cause the fracture surface and the microstructure must be examined.

Wildalaska
April 9, 2003, 02:40 PM
" virtually crystalline" ? all metals have a crystalline structure. For some idea of the cause the fracture surface and the microstructure must be examined.

Hey Im not a metalurgist, I was just describing how it looked...

Dont usually see broken steel..just blowed up stuff...:D

WildbutImshootingmycarbinetodayAlaska

Greg G
April 9, 2003, 03:02 PM
Join the Pistole Parabellum Forum and post your experience there. They also have a buy/sell section.

www.lugerforum.com

Mike Irwin
April 9, 2003, 03:24 PM
Wild Alaska,

Did it have a "frosty" look to it"?

Wildalaska
April 9, 2003, 04:48 PM
Did it have a "frosty" look to it"?

Thank you. Much better way to describe it.

WildtotallyinarticulateAlaska

Mike Irwin
April 9, 2003, 08:26 PM
That frosty look is the prime indication that the metal has "crystalized" to the point where it greatly affects the part's strength.

I don't know the mechanics, but someone told me that the crystalization is actually caused by impurities.

Every broken C96 Mauser bolt I've seen has had this frosty look across the broken area.

Blueduck
April 9, 2003, 09:28 PM
Best smith I ever knew gave me a reality check during my brief flirtation with surplus guns. He was showing me some things about an old Mauser I'd bought, explaining the craftsmanship and brilliance of the bolt action design that as far as he was concerned reached perfection about 80 years earlier and everything else was just downhill.

At the end of all this gushing he looked at me and said "Steel can do many things as it ages, getting stronger is never one of them".

Wildalaska
April 10, 2003, 01:06 AM
I don't know the mechanics, but someone told me that the crystalization is actually caused by impurities.

I wonder how common it actually is...Ive owned many Lugers and this has never happened before (then again I hardly ever shot most of them)

WildbrokenboltAlaska

If you enjoyed reading about "Luger Bang bang---Crack!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!