Good Grief. I hate my State.

PDA

LynnMassGuy
January 12, 2006, 11:51 AM
You gotta' read this.

http://www.townonline.com/roslindale/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=405149&format=text

After Boston's bloodiest year in a decade, one city councilor has called on one of the largest manufacturers of guns in the country to install satellite-tracking technology in its weapons.
District 5 City Councilor Rob Consalvo, who represents Roslindale and Hyde Park, recently wrote a letter to Springfield-based Smith & Wesson asking the chief executive if he would blend GPS technology with the company's newly manufactured guns.
"There is an insatiable appetite for guns in urban neighborhoods," said Consalvo, who has also been pushing for a gun offender registry. "If we can stem that tide, if we can put a choke on that supply, we're going to reduce the amount of teenagers with guns in the city and less gun violence."
Consalvo mentioned Boston's adoption of GPS-enabled school buses and snow plows as the most recent examples of high-tech keeping tabs on the most routine things. Even cell phones have GPS technology embedded in them.
The city councilor picked Smith & Wesson because it's a Massachusetts-based company.
"I'm calling on them to step up to the plate," he said. "They need to install some technology like GPS or Lojack or some tracking technology. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know what that is. So they'll be easily tracked once those weapons are stolen ... I think given the fact that Smith & Wesson is located in the state, they have a greater responsibility."
Whether the company itself would latch on to the idea of tracking its customers' guns is another story. A company spokesman didn't return a phone message by the Transcript's deadline.
About privacy concerns that gun owners might have, Consalvo said, "It's a piece of property. It's not on a person."
In a Jan. 6 letter to Michael F. Golden, president and chief executive of Smith & Wesson, Consalvo wrote, "While I understand that illegal gun use is not the fault of your company or legitimate gun owners, I implore you to seriously consider this idea as another way to make our cities safer."
A Boston Police Department spokesman wasn't specific about supporting the initiative or not.
"The Boston Police Department supports any type of gun control," said Officer Michael McCarthy. "We leave that to the lawmakers. We'll promote gun safety."

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Grief. I hate my State." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrTuffPaws
January 12, 2006, 12:07 PM
has called on one of the largest manufacturers of guns in the country to install satellite-tracking technology in its weapons.

BAWAHAHAHAHAHA

Man, I hope Fienstien does not hear about this idea?

Henry Bowman
"I'm not an engineer, so I don't know what that is.""I'm a blissninny utopian who lives in a fantasy wourd where everything is fluffy bunnies and flowers." :rolleyes:

I think given the fact that Smith & Wesson is located in the state, they have a greater responsibility."Yet another good reason for S&W to relocate.

MrTwigg
How about an RFID tag <> for every politican ?:what: At least then we'll know where they are !:neener:

LynnMassGuy
January 12, 2006, 12:08 PM
I'm sure the bad guys would be vigilant about replacing the batteries.

GTSteve03
January 12, 2006, 12:09 PM
Yet another good reason for S&W to relocate.

They should come to GA. Glock's here already. Maybe we can start stockpiling them. :evil:

Technosavant
January 12, 2006, 12:17 PM
"The Boston Police Department supports any type of gun control," said Officer Michael McCarthy. "We leave that to the lawmakers. We'll promote gun safety."

They'll support any type of gun control?

OK, I have some ideas for them:
1) The police issue weapons must ALL have integral locks, and those locks must be engaged when off duty.
2) When not in uniform, no carry without the same concealed carry permit the citizenry must obtain.
3) If the citizenry can't have it, neither can the police (so much for the MP5s the SWAT folks might want to have).

Or do we think they would have problems with these?

Tequila_Sauer
January 12, 2006, 12:24 PM
What's so bad about that? Sounds like a good idea to me. And while we're at it, let's have a sensor in cars, so that if you go over the speed limit, you are immediately tracked via satelite to make sure you don't continue to speed. A speeding ticket will arrive in your mailbox the next day.

Also, there are some bad things going on behind the locked doors of people's homes, we ought to install cameras just to make sure John Smith doesn't get any smart ideas and think about hitting his wife, Jane. After all, a watched and tracked America is a safe America.

Where do people get this stuff?

Pilot
January 12, 2006, 12:27 PM
Where do people get this stuff?

George Orwell?

Tequila_Sauer
January 12, 2006, 12:31 PM
It really is amazing to me. After all of the great minds this country has had and all of the great literature written (not necessarily from this country) concerning personal freedoms and the danger of government size, politicians still advocate things like tracking devices and cameras in various public and private areas.

1984 and Animal Farm were required in my school. Surely, it was required reading in the school of some of these people as well. Do they view it as merely fiction with no real world application? I don't understand.

GTSteve03
January 12, 2006, 12:36 PM
1984 and Animal Farm were required in my school. Surely, it was required reading in the school of some of these people as well. Do they view it as merely fiction with no real world application? I don't understand.
No, they read it and really liked the sound of being on the side of Big Brother or the Pigs. Then they just made it their life goal to make the real world the same way. :(

Pilgrim
January 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
Gunstar: "Good evening, this is Gunstar. How can I help you?"

Caller: (Whispering) "Help me. There is an intruder in my house and I can't find my pistol. I think my wife hid it."

Gunstar: "Certainly, sir. What is your account number or telephone number we have on record."

Caller: "Ahhh, (xxx) 555-2525."

Gunstar: "Thank you, Mr. No Clue. Our tracking device indicates your pistol is in the bedroom closet.

Caller: (Whispering more hoarsely) "Thank you, I found it.

Gunstar: "You're welcome, Mr. No Clue. Is there anything else I can do for you? Call the police? Call for an ambulance? Call for the coroner?"

Caller: "Well, there is one more thing. I can't find the key to unlock the integral gun lock."

Gunstar: "I'm sorry Mr. No Clue, it appears that your particular model did not come with an electrically activated lock. If you had purchased a more recent model with an electrical lock Gunstar could have helped you."

Caller: "Arrrghhh!" (Sounds of bedroom door being kicked open. Gun shots.)

Gunstar: "Mr. No Clue? Mr. No Clue?)

Caller: "Gurgle, gurgle, gasp, sigh.)

Gunstar: "Mr. No Clue? I've called for the county coroner. Thank you for using Gunstar. We remain here 24/7, ready to assist you."

benEzra
January 12, 2006, 01:07 PM
onsalvo mentioned Boston's adoption of GPS-enabled school buses and snow plows as the most recent examples of high-tech keeping tabs on the most routine things. Even cell phones have GPS technology embedded in them.
Well, it's obvious this guy didn't have any degrees in physics or engineering...

Just how small does he think a snowplow's GPS receiver is? The size of a computer chip?

A cell phone is ENTIRELY a transceiver, with a fairly sizeable antenna, and only a few dozen hours of battery life, so you have to keep it constantly charged. He hasn't a CLUE how this stuff works...

Hutch
January 12, 2006, 01:51 PM
Clues are not necessary for a politician to possess before contemplating more gun control. Bayonet lugs, anyone?

000Buck
January 12, 2006, 02:06 PM
This is the equivalent of requiring a person that is drinking alcohol to wear a GPS tracking device while alcohol is in their system. That way, if they drive drunk or get into a drunken stupor and kill someone, the govt can track them while they do it. I wonder if that saint Ted Kennedy would be supportive of that?:fire:

thumper723
January 12, 2006, 02:33 PM
This is why I am glad I moved out of Carver, and will never move back. I don't even like visiting anymore.

sturmruger
January 12, 2006, 03:01 PM
I think this idiot needs to look into what kinds of gun criminal are actually purchasing. How many gang bangers are going to want to purchase a $700 revolver or a $1000 1911!!

losangeles
January 12, 2006, 03:08 PM
Also, there are some bad things going on behind the locked doors of people's homes, we ought to install cameras just to make sure John Smith doesn't get any smart ideas and think about hitting his wife, Jane. After all, a watched and tracked America is a safe America.

Good idea! In some states, there are still some illegal bedroom acts. The cameras can put a halt to those activities in a hurry. And the authorities can have a monitoring center that operates 24/7 to watch if any couples perform any of these salacious acts.

So, when the couple has their day in court, the district attorney can break out the tapes for the jury to see the offending act. Maybe they can use multiple high definition big screens so that there is no doubt to the jury about the salacious act.

Brilliant!

losangeles
January 12, 2006, 03:14 PM
Defense attorney: Your honor, his ***** only skimmed the surface of her ****, as the video shows. There was no full penetration your honor.

Prosecuting attorney: Replay in slow motion, please. Your honor, the replay clearly shows penetration. This is against the state law, section *** in the penal code ***.

Defense attorney: Zoom in on the center of the screeen, please. Replay, please. Reviewing the point of infraction. Defense rests.

Technology is wonderful.

shermacman
January 12, 2006, 03:22 PM
I think it is a great idea. Satellite tracking devices in all guns and all cars, RFID chips in all ammo. Tracking devices planted under everyone's skin. DNA databases for everyone. Ballistic fingerprints for all firearms.

We will all be so busy in our new government jobs sorting all this data that no one will have time to commit crimes anymore.

Oh, and leave the boarders wide open...

Cosmoline
January 12, 2006, 03:22 PM
I hope S&W finally moves out of that hell hole.

iapetus
January 12, 2006, 03:30 PM
Well, it's obvious this guy didn't have any degrees in physics or engineering...

Just how small does he think a snowplow's GPS receiver is? The size of a computer chip?

A cell phone is ENTIRELY a transceiver, with a fairly sizeable antenna, and only a few dozen hours of battery life, so you have to keep it constantly charged. He hasn't a CLUE how this stuff works...

Actually, you can get very tiny GPS recievers and transmitters.

I went on a falconry course about a year and a half ago, and all the birds were fitted with a transmitter (about the size of a grape,strapped to their leg), so that if they flew off they could be tracked.

More recently, when I was studying surveying at university, we were told that they can now make GPS reciever chips even smaller, and very cheeply too (about $5 each, when ordered in the thousands). Those would be used for tracking parcels etc while being delivered.

I'm sure it would be quite possible to fit a gun with a GPS reciever, and a a transmitter so it could be tracked remotely.

Of course, it would need batteries, which would need to be replaceable, and so could be removed to deactivate it. Or you could just keep the gun in a steel box when not in use to block the signal.

Now: what might be a good idea would be putting recievers in bullets, so the cops could trace wounded BGs :evil:

Skeptic
January 12, 2006, 03:40 PM
Now that's funny......

losangeles
January 12, 2006, 05:05 PM
Now: what might be a good idea would be putting recievers in bullets, so the cops could trace wounded BGs :evil:

Now, there's an idea for the politicians. GPS in each bullet.

Manedwolf
January 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
District 5 City Councilor Rob Consalvo, who represents Roslindale and Hyde Park, recently wrote a letter to Springfield-based Smith & Wesson asking the chief executive if he would blend GPS technology with the company's newly manufactured guns.

It'd serve them right if S&W bailed out of the state to friendlier climes, anyway. It's cheaper elsewhere, too. They could always move to NH!

gripper
January 12, 2006, 07:23 PM
Hey, when if I get clear in court next week, I'm not staying here either....freaking corrupt snakepit in th eNortheast is no where I wish to remain.

Igloodude
January 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
What's so bad about that? Sounds like a good idea to me. And while we're at it, let's have a sensor in cars, so that if you go over the speed limit, you are immediately tracked via satelite to make sure you don't continue to speed. A speeding ticket will arrive in your mailbox the next day.

Boy, you're pretty lenient, there. Why mail the speeding ticket, when the fine can automatically be deducted from the bank account, the auto insurer can automatically raise the premium, and (with however many tickets are reached) the car can be remotely disabled and scheduled for removal?

:barf:

shaldag
January 12, 2006, 09:20 PM
"Consalvo wrote, "While I understand that illegal gun use is not the fault of your company or legitimate gun owners, I implore you to seriously consider this idea as another way to make our cities safer.""

and of course, how this would make the city safer is not clear. I'm sure the criminals will cooperate in making their location known to authorities.:rolleyes:

"They need to install some technology like GPS or Lojack or some tracking technology. I'm not an engineer....."

no, you are a grandstanding politician who couldn't find his arse with both hands and a flashlight.:(

orionengnr
January 12, 2006, 09:37 PM
because the barrel is now filled with rotten apples...

Warning! Metaphor Limit has been reached! No further metaphors will be permitted in this post!

anyway, come on down to Texas, you will have plenty of support here!

Warning! Excessive Punctuation limit reached! ... :)

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2006, 10:18 PM
It's satire, right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Grief. I hate my State." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!