New York Permit (final)

PDA

Vermont Guy
January 12, 2006, 02:16 PM
I got my permit yesterday (1/11/06). I had gone to the sheriff's office to followup on advice received on a previous post. I went to let them know that when I received my permit I already had two handguns to place on the permit. I thought that might expedite the matter. My wife is still waiting (one month) to have these put on her permit from a different county.

I was told that it wouldn't affect the process because the process was already done. My permit was in the office and they just hadn't told me yet. The date on the permit is 1/9/06. My records show I applied on 11/3/05 so make it two months and one week from the time of application. It took several months to fill out the forms and find the references. Before that six months had to pass to establish residency in NY.

There was no repeat fingerprinting. The reference forms did not have to be notarized.

I have contacted a local gun dealer and the guns will be shipped to him. He tells me that my county is much easier to work with then my wife's county. It should be no problem to have the guns added to my permit once they arrive. He will charge me $25 per gun. I don't think that is an unreasonable fee for him to charge for the service. I do think the state mandated service is out of line.

The new permit is restricted to hunting and target shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "New York Permit (final)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
January 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
Do you and your wife live in two different counties :confused: or did you apply that way for some other specific reason?

Legionnaire
January 12, 2006, 02:36 PM
Congrats on the permit. Now order the following. Study it. I think you'll find it very interesting / enlightening. Be safe.

http://www.looseleaflaw.com/catalog/detail.html?isbn=1-889031-04-6

rero360
January 12, 2006, 02:55 PM
congrats. did you go for that permit intentialy or did you try for a concealed carry and thats what they gave you? I got mine in onondaga county with no problems at all, completely unrestricted carry. so thats all you have to do to have unregestered guns get put on the permit, very cool, I have a WW2 beretta that could be mine if I can get it on my permit. good deal. enjoy and happy and safe shooting

Vermont Guy
January 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
The law says you can apply in the county where you live or where you are employed. My wife used to live in the county where she works and so she knew more potential references there. The sheriffs prefer the references be from the same county but I found that they will relax that restriction. We also thought it would be a plus to have a foot in two counties in case one turned out to be impossible.

My wife has no interest in carrying on a regular basis.

The sheriffs make it pretty clear in the instructions that "Hunting & Target" are what you are to ask for and they do not as a rule issue CCW. So the first step seems to be to get the guns into the house.

The next step is to go before a judge and ask that the restrictions be removed. In the meantime, when I travel out of state I can carry on my Florida permit.

Vermont Guy
January 13, 2006, 11:59 AM
Gosh, Legionnaire, that's 330 pages and $34! I could use it as a shield!

In Missouri a lawyer active in the rights movement put together a little wallet sized card to help gun owners stay out of jail. It would be nice to have something like that for New York.

Missouri had a lot of gun laws too but there must be a few key NY points that would be most relevant to day to day activities.

If you enjoyed reading about "New York Permit (final)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!