Price check(s)

PDA

mole
January 12, 2006, 01:39 PM
An elderly lady I know is wanting to sell off her late husbands's firearms. I took a look at them and wanted to know what some of you thought their values should be. I might purchase them for myself, or place an ad in the paper for her. I'll use an scale of excellent, very good, good, fair, poor, and bad. Excellent means they look almost new. Good means that it has visible wear and tear on it, but you wouldn't be ashamed to claim it. Poor means that it has very evident wear and tear or flaws, so it certainly wouldn't instill pride in the owner. Bad means that it is almost a junker. All are in decent mechanical shape for the most part and fired with no problems. Due to time and light conditions I wasn't able to judge accuracy, but the little shooting I did seemed decent enough. All but the Winchester were filthy/neglected. I gave the barrels and chambers a quick (read substandard/temperary) cleaning to make sure there were no obstuctions before firing. A few hours would be required to clean and fix them to meet most shooter's standards.

Rossi stainless steel 5 shot .38 special 1 1/2 inch barrel revolver with wooden grips and fixed sights. In FAIR shape. It's extremely dirty and has some corrosion on some non vitial areas, but I believe that it can be cleaned up rather nicely. Everything is nice and tight. Trigger pull is subfair, but may improve with a good cleaning.

ROHM model 66 .22lr revolver with 4 3/4 inch barrel. Cheap plastic grips, single action. BAD shape. The barrel says .22 magnum, but the cylinder says .22lr. I imagine someone replaced the original cylinder with a .22lr replacement. It's of the type you half cock it, open a latch on the right of the frame before the cylinder, turn the cylinder by hand, insert rounds one by one, and eject the spent shells one by one with a push rod attached to the barrel. I was rather hesitant to fire it, so I did not fire it. A price tag in the box shows $34.95, so I thought it might be an unsafe cheapo. For what it's worth, the very intelligent and knowledgable man I learned about guns from and who shot competatively for ~30 years thinks it's alright. Instructions are in German and English, so it must be an import.

Remington "THE TRAGETMASTER" model 510 bolt action single shot in .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. 25 inch barrel. FAIR shape. Stock has it's share of scrathes and a little water damage. Metal is a dark brown color similiar to the color left behind after a surface rust problem, but no pitting or other physical flaws. The bore is in decent shape, but the crown does have small scratches and dings on it. The action isn't too smooth, but a little TLC may improve it.

Marlin GLENFIELD MOD. 65 in tube fed semi-auto .22lr with 22 inch barrel. From what I have found so far the model 65 is the same as the model 60 except that the entire tube magazine of the 65 is made of brass instead of the 60's having a brass insert only. The stock's finish has a few flaked off places and the receiver has some bad scratches, but I'd still consider it in GOOD shape. The tube does have some corrosion on it, but it will likely clean off decently. I could not examine the bore, but the crown appeared to be fine. It fed and shot without any problems, but the bolt did not hold open after the last shot. I don't know if it is supposed to or not. The fact that it is so filthy might have impeded the hold open action if it did have one.

Winchester model 94 Trapper in 30-30 win with 5 round capacity. It has a 12 inch rate of twist and the saddle ring. EXCELLENT condition. The action isn't even broken in. It ejects straight up. It has no safety unless you count the half-cock. The manual has "Form No. ML-5-82" which the man mention earlier says make indicate that it was purchased in 1982 or 1983. Original price tag has a price of $250. This gun is spotless and in excellent shape. I ran 10 rounds through it yesterday with no problems except a bad primer on a reload.

My thinking is that I can throw the Rossi in my BOB, clean up the Marlin 65 and give it to my girlfriend (gotta encourage her right?), keep the Reminton Targetmaster to train her (soon to be mine) nephews and our kids later, and use the Winchester 94 as a brush deer gun. The ROHM might make a useful paperweight.

I want to get a good deal, but not cheat the lady any. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated by myself and the nice lady. Keep in mind that this is Georgia, so the prices will be lower than those generally found further north.

thanks,
mole

p.s. I'll make sure she has a suitable house gun (she says she has one but didn't know anything about it), and if not, I'll clean up the Rossi and insist that she keep it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check(s)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HankB
January 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Suggest you take a look at gunbroker.com and see what guns like these are actually selling for. They really sound like the owner/inheritor didn't take very good care of them.

As a WAG, the Rossi might go for $100 at the outside . . . if it's stainless and still rusty, that's an indication of neglect. (Most SS guns are only rust resistant, since the rustproof alloys don't heat treat.) Rossi really isn't a well-respected name in firearms, and I personally wouldn't want one. If it's functional, best the lady keep it.

The Rohm is a junker . . . using it as a paperweight (as you mentioned) is probably the best use for it.

The dinged-up .22 single shot rifle might be worth $40 - $50. The Glenfield, maybe $75 at most . . . it all depends on just how bad it is.

The Model 94 sounds like the best of the bunch, but used lever action .30/30s are a dime a dozen. If it's really near perfect and I really wanted it, I might go $175.

Again, these are just WAGs . . . no doubt someone who's "in the business" will be able to give you more accurate values.

ReadyontheRight
January 12, 2006, 02:36 PM
That Remington .22 Targetmaster is just about the best first rifle a youngster could get. I had the exact same gun for my first rifle. Currently serves as varmint/less-than-lethal stray dog chaser (w/ birdshot) by my father's back door.

They don't make them anymore, so it's worth fixing up. In good shape they go for around $100-$135 on Gunbroker. HankB is probably right on the value if it's beat up.

The Win 94 may be worth a LITTLE bit more than $175. For some reason they have been going up in price used lately. Sounds like a great find in that shape and with the saddlering.

What about something like ~$300 for all but the Rossi PLUS you will clean up the Rossi, buy her $50 worth of self-defense ammo and give her some training on it?

Win 94, Marlin Glenfield and Remington Targetmaster. IMHO Three of the best classic rifles you could get!:) Don't let 'em go to a stranger.

mole
January 12, 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys, any more opinions?

Flyboy
January 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
Were I you, I'd grab the Targetmaster myself. I have one that used to be my dad's when he was a kid, and that rifle is a big component in my plan to learn to shoot (well) this year. It's every bit as accurate as my match-grade Kimber, and will take you a long way at the range.

Moonclip
January 12, 2006, 10:20 PM
Offer a package deal and a low price. If she does not like it and wants more tell her to go to the local gunshop and see what they offer than come back to see you. I'd be hard presssed to even pay $50 for the RG.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check(s)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!