How often do you carry?

PDA

pax
January 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
Okay, this is kinda-sort in conjunction with two other polls I put up:

Men's poll: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=176338

Women's poll: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=176312

If you vote in this one, please go vote in one of the above polls too.

Thanks,

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
progunner1957
January 12, 2006, 02:49 PM
Every day. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared.":D

thorazine
January 12, 2006, 03:04 PM
I am a astronaut. When I leave the house, there is a gun with me 100% of the time :D

MeanStreaker
January 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
I voted for being a man 50% of the time.... wait! That's not right. Well, you get the idea.

The only reason I couldn't vote for carrying 100% of the time is that I can't carry at work and feel uncomfortable leaving a handgun in the car for 9-10 hours a day as someone may see me remove it and know where to find it five days a week.

TexasRifleman
January 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
Well I'm not an astronaut or Space Shuttle door gunner, but I carry 100% of the time as well unless I'm travelling in states that don't allow such things.

Biker
January 12, 2006, 03:13 PM
Every day, all day. Better to need one and not...ummm...not have one and....never mind.
Biker

Legionnaire
January 12, 2006, 03:23 PM
Would be 100% if I could, but not professionally practical ... especially when traveling. I voted 50% of the time.

McCall911
January 12, 2006, 03:26 PM
50 percent is about right for this guy/man/dude.

thumbody
January 12, 2006, 03:27 PM
I carry most nonworking hours. No firearms allowed on company property so I can't carry 100%.

rero360
January 12, 2006, 03:29 PM
I carry 100% of the time except when I go to school, seeing how its illegal to have firearms on college property and campus security no longer stores weapons for students anymore. its a real shame

Stiletto Null
January 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
Needs an option for "I'm underage or am still in the process of getting a permit".

Fred Fuller
January 12, 2006, 04:16 PM
...and I carry while _at home_ 100% of the time that I'm wearing pants too.

lpl/nc

Werewolf
January 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
If I'm out of the house I'm armed - 100% (well probably 95%) of the time.

Like the man said:

Most people will never need a gun. BUT! When they do need one they'll really, really need one.

jrfoxx
January 12, 2006, 04:53 PM
I voted for 100% of the time, but I am in the Navy, and thus cannot carry to work on base, but if I am going ANYWHERE other than on the base only, I carry 100% in the 'civilian world'.

grimjaw
January 12, 2006, 04:54 PM
I had to say 75%. There are some places I work (gov't installations, military bases, Washington DC) that don't allow it. But I carry whenever it's legal.

jmm

UWstudent
January 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
i carry about 90% so i rounded it up to 100% :cool:

Werewolf
January 12, 2006, 04:58 PM
If I'm out of the house I'm armed - 100% (well probably 95%) of the time.

Like the man said:

Most people will never need a gun. BUT! When they do need one they'll really, really need one.

Kurt_M
January 12, 2006, 04:58 PM
I carry where I can, but being in college puts a bit of a damper on that. So around 75%.

Chipperman
January 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
Only one woman has voted so far.
C'Mon, ladies!

fjolnirsson
January 12, 2006, 05:18 PM
After living in a state/county which denied me my right to self defense, I take carrying very seriously. If I'm awake, I have a gun. Always. The only time I won't have a gun is if I'm required to go into a courthouse or jail area, which hasn't happened so far, and hopefully won't.
I don't go places that require me to disarm. So far, I haven't seen any no weapons signage here in Oregon. I won't patronize a business that denies me my right to carry. Part of the reason I left CA was to take my dollars away from them.

The Viking
January 12, 2006, 05:20 PM
Never carry any kind of firearm, cuz its illegal here. I may or may not have a very sharp implement in my pocket all the time though...

TarpleyG
January 12, 2006, 05:49 PM
I carry everyday except when I am at work because policy forbids it. Stupid policy but I need a job.

Greg

IndianaDean
January 12, 2006, 06:09 PM
The only place I don't carry is at work. And our official company policy says ccw'ers can leave their guns locked in their cars on company property. Since they allow me to do that, and I have my car on video surveillance all the time with me less than 30 yards away, I do not break the policy.
I carry all other times however, even at home.
And when I leave it in the car, I have it locked in a case from this company:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

sm
January 12, 2006, 06:17 PM
;)

Oldnamvet
January 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
Since I work at a University, can't carry there. Don't want to leave it in the car since they do get broken into often. So I also don't have it one the 45 minute drive back and forth to work. That leaves me to in-state vacations and on weekends. So less than 25%.

Technosavant
January 12, 2006, 06:23 PM
I've been increasing my frequency of carry. Once I get my pocket holster for my 642, I expect it to be near 100% (exceptions being when headed out of state or just going to be spending a lot of time at places where it is not allowed).

sgb
January 12, 2006, 06:25 PM
24/365

SomeKid
January 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
75%, just because I go so many places where I cannot.

(College, dates to actual restaurants...)

springmom
January 12, 2006, 08:18 PM
Every single time. No exceptions, UNLESS I am going someplace that is specifically forbidden, not only the building but the parking lot. And the only place like that is my son's school, and he'll only be there until May (I hope I hope I hope!!!!!) at which point there won't any "unless" at all. :)

You know, Murphy's Law, the one time I leave it home will be the ONE TIME IN MY LIFE I'd ever need it. :eek: Sure as a bear s%^@s in the woods.

Springmom

mbs357
January 12, 2006, 08:23 PM
I never carry a gun because I cannot (19 years old).
I do, however, carry up to five folding knives on me...
Two in pants pockets, three in various pockets in my coat.

Stevie-Ray
January 12, 2006, 08:27 PM
Only times I don't is when impractical/illegal, so 75%

Hypnogator
January 12, 2006, 08:41 PM
My "always" gun is a Kel-Tec P-32. It ain't called an "always" gun for nothin'. :D

I carry my Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro whenever possible, with the K-T as backup.:cool:

Lupinus
January 12, 2006, 09:07 PM
No carry yet for two reasons, one being I am only 20 and the second being I as yet have no suitable carry weapons, I own two old handguns neither are nearly reliable enough that I would trust my life on them even if I could legaly carry. That isn't to say when I leave the house I am not armed...just not with guns ;)

Ala Dan
January 12, 2006, 09:08 PM
Man 100% :D

Zundfolge
January 12, 2006, 09:10 PM
I picked I am a man. When I leave the house, there is a gun with me 100% of the time.

But in reality: I am a man. At home or away, there is a gun with me 100% of the time.

Invisible Swordsman
January 12, 2006, 09:46 PM
I figure I'm at about 98 or 99 percent, so I rounded up;).

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
Always.

Regards,
Rabbit.

roo_ster
January 12, 2006, 11:50 PM
I voted 100%. The only times that is not true is when traveling ot states by air that do not acknowledge RKBA.

My work does not allow CCW & I obey that rule, but I leave the house with CCW anyway.

fletcher
January 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
If I didn't attend college and work on a college campus, I would be able to make that '75% of the time' a '100% of the time'. Otherwise, unless I'm going somewhere where I'm unable to at least keep it in the car, it goes with me.

seansean
January 13, 2006, 11:06 AM
I said 25%, to cover those times I've carried in a "non-permissive" environment. My problem is, I spend the majority of my life in places where it's illegal to carry(I live/work in CA, I'm from NY, and family is in NJ). I rarely go to places my utah permit is valid. Guess I need to travel to more places.

DirksterG30
January 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
Man - I carry wherever I legally can, so 75%.

Missashot
January 13, 2006, 11:30 AM
Call me a cheapskate, paranoid, or whatever, but I think that since getting a CWP isn't too cheap, I tend to carry every where I go.:p
I even have one of my .45 stuck on me while sitting here on the computer in my living room.:uhoh:
Besides, in the last year or so, I have bought several guns, so I am trying them all out to see which ones are most comfortable to carry and how I should try to carry each particular gun.:scrutiny:

Rock45
January 13, 2006, 11:48 AM
Being a Federal Employee I am prevented from carrying at work :banghead: ...I am armed when I am not at work. :D

ball3006
January 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
all the time. Otherwise, I carry a firearm every where I go except to/from work and at work. They fire your for that.........Retirement is anytime after this coming March.............chris3

TIMC
January 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
Every time I walk out the door there is a gun near by. I usually carry most of the time but if I am not carrying because The wife and I are going out and I will be drinking she will have my back because she does not drink and also has a CHL. Oh and she does carry 100% of the time!
It's nice to have an armed designated driver!:D

Herself
January 13, 2006, 01:36 PM
I have a gun with me 100% of the time, not including occasional airpline trips or visits to government buildings. Sometimes it would take longer to get to it than other times: "with me" is not always "on my person or in my purse."

I've got pocketknives all the time (except planes :cuss: TSA!). I'd like to claim it's because I am such a tactical ninja, but the truth is, a good knife is a real fingernail saver! My "one-handed deploy" knife is a Japanese carpenter's knife, ideal for opening shipping cartons or whatever... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222&ap=1 or http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=106053&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID=106053

The straight razor in my purse is just for old time's sake; when I was younger and didn't own a gun, I carried one of those. They're not actually good weapons but they're a remarkable deterrent.

--Herself

waterhouse
January 13, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'm surprised at the number of 100%s. Do you just not go places that don't allow guns? Do you leave the guns in the car if you have to?

I go to the post office a couple times a week. I go to bars for a darts league, and sometimes even to drink. The other day I had to meet a background investigator for a gov't job at a federal building, so I left my gun at home that day too.

I wouldn't mind carrying TO most of these places (the drinking being an exception) but I'm not really comfortable leaving a gun in the car . . . is there a good, safe way to do this?

thanks in advance.

Optical Serenity
January 13, 2006, 02:18 PM
Well, considering I'm a cop, I carry 100% of the time I work and then when I'm off I carry even more (three guns when possible on me) so yes, 100%.

Herself
January 13, 2006, 02:45 PM
Waterhouse, in Indiana, one carries only by (must issue) permit and "concealed is concealed;" there's no way that I know of for businesses to disarm their customers, no magic sign wording or dimensions. If you're carrying openly, they can ask you to leave.
Employers can make carrying a weapon on company business and property a termination offense; they can establish rules that do not allow carry on their property, so one must take care to not flout such rules. (ahem).
"Off-limits" places, like the combined court/city government/police building in Indianapolis or the House and Senate chambers in the Capitol building, usually have a sign listing what can't be carried in...right in front of the metal detector you must pass through to enter. The airport is the same way, though I would strongly caution against open carry.

If they want you disarmed here, they take steps to ensure you are. If there isn't a checkpoint, as far as the law's concerned it's more of a suggestion, a reminder to be discreet. "No guns" signs mean "No visible guns."

--Herself

TexasRifleman
January 13, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'm surprised at the number of 100%s. Do you just not go places that don't allow guns? Do you leave the guns in the car if you have to?

I go to the post office a couple times a week. I go to bars for a darts league, and sometimes even to drink. The other day I had to meet a background investigator for a gov't job at a federal building, so I left my gun at home that day too.

thanks in advance.

Actually that's exactly it, I avoid places that don't allow guns.

As for the post office, that's a fun thread we haven't had in a while :D
The Fed regs say you can't have a firearm unless it's for "other lawful purposes" and many will say that if you have a carry permit in the state where the post office is located then that's certainly a "lawful purpose". No one has been the test case yet because the point is CONCEALED. For a while that one was as regular a topic as the "9mm vs .45" debate.....

Molon Labe
January 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
I've never owned a handgun.

I've always been a rifle kind-a-guy. Rifles are cool. ;)

But that might change this year...

rbernie
January 13, 2006, 03:12 PM
Well, this is kinda hard since my vehicles usually have something special in 'em regardless of whether I'm carrying on my person. Does that count?

MyRoad
January 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
I work from home. Even if I carried 100% of the time when I am *not* at home, I would only be carrying about 5-10% of my total "awake" time. I figure that statistically speaking for me, if I'm going to need a gun, the chances are very good that it would be while I'm at home. That said, I probably carry 50% of the time (home or not) averaged out over time. Some days/weeks I carry 100% home or not and some days/weeks not at all anywhere. Makes no sense, but I do what I feel like, no more, no less.

Biker
January 13, 2006, 03:42 PM
I work from home. Even if I carried 100% of the time when I am *not* at home, I would only be carrying about 5-10% of my total "awake" time. I figure that statistically speaking for me, if I'm going to need a gun, the chances are very good that it would be while I'm at home. That said, I probably carry 50% of the time (home or not) averaged out over time. Some days/weeks I carry 100% home or not and some days/weeks not at all anywhere. Makes no sense, but I do what I feel like, no more, no less.
Nothin' wrong with goin' with your gut.
Biker
:)

SapperLeader
January 13, 2006, 04:25 PM
I am a man, carry 100% of the time. Only times I have been disarmed in the past year, were three country concerts, and a day trip into DC. Those times weapons stayed in the vehicle. Other 361 days, it was there :)

tttuac
January 13, 2006, 08:59 PM
I said 75% cause I am still trying to get used to carrying with Fl clothing. 100% with my kids... will put xx clothes on to protect them! G26 Hard to loose.

palerider1
January 13, 2006, 09:16 PM
i carry 95% of the time. unless i go to my kids school, or church.

rhubarb
January 14, 2006, 12:02 AM
I am a man. Therefore, when I leave the house, there is a gun with me 100% of the time. If I ain't asleep, I got a gun on my person. Maybe 10% of the time when I'm asleep.

Kamicosmos
January 14, 2006, 12:19 AM
I voted 50% because I can't carry at work. Used to always have it in the car in the lot, but I bought a new Mustang, and haven't found a secure place to hide it in there yet.

At home and on days off, I carry everywhere except when I sleep. Or if I forget to put the gun on, which has been happening alot lately...:confused:

38SnubFan
January 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
I am a MAN. If I leave my house, the gun goes with me.

If I'm going somewhere where my gun isn't permitted, it's in a locked case in the trunk.

Unless it's a school, in which case, I guess it HAS to stay home. :(

Only other exception would be the occasional trip to DE to pick the other half up from her mother's place to bring her home (she doesn't drive).

So all in all, probably 97%-99% of the time.

-38SnubFan

Zundfolge
January 14, 2006, 01:44 AM

I live in a state with very few restrictions on where one can carry.

I don't carry where its illegal, but in Colorado I can carry to a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.

As for where I can't carry; I have no reason to go into any schools, I don't go into government buildings very often (just to renew DL, plates and CHL :D ), and I work for a small company that where I'm allowed to carry. So part of the reason I'm able to CCW 100% of the time is that I really don't have any reason to go anyplace I can't carry.

fjolnirsson
January 14, 2006, 02:09 AM

Well, I live in Oregon, which has a fairly unrestricted CHL. Anywhere is fair game, except for courthouses and jails. Aside from that, I avoid places where I can't carry, either due to law, or prejudice(sp?) against gun owners.
And there is that bit TexasSigman mentioned about the Post Office. I don't test it, usually. I buy stamps at the grocery, and I mail letters at the local mailbox.

cbsbyte
January 14, 2006, 03:08 AM
I don't carry a gun on me. In this state even though it is leagal to carry if one has the correct class of License to Carry. Many people do run into problems with some local town/city police officers who either don't know the law or don't care and use trumped up charges to have your license revoked. Also if a person's weapon ever was uncovered do to clothing problems, or fell out of the holster in a public place, and other people saw it happen the carrier, depending on who witness the unveiling , could loose their license. Also most business do not allow people to carry on their property. Personally I don't know anyone that carries in Mass except when they are on their own property or maybe if they are hunting. I should add that I do have a pistol on me in the car.

Snagglepuss
January 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
Although I have my CCW I only carry when I feel I might encounter a need which is very rarely in my neck of the woods. I really only have the CCW in case I am pulled over and for some stupid reason I have not cased up my gun correctly.

gsmith
January 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
I carry about 75% of the time. I need to get a good pocket gun, so I can
raise the average.
G

Jkwas
January 14, 2006, 05:59 PM
Can't carry at work. Won't leave a gun in the car (theft). So, at night when I go out or on the weekends. About %25 I guess. I really wanted it to protect my family after hurricanes anyway. During that period, it would be %100. ;)

kahr40
January 14, 2006, 08:02 PM
I answered 75% but ti probably closer to 90%.

meef
January 15, 2006, 11:32 PM
Can't carry at work, carry everywhere else - except where prohibited.

Therefore - 50%

Stickjockey
January 15, 2006, 11:35 PM
Answered 75%, but it's probably closer to 70%. I work "on the other side" at an airport, and the Feds really don't have a sense of humor about things like that. If you meet me on the street, however, rest assured I'll be packin'.

sturmruger
January 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
For right now I am only carry when I am in MN which is about 50% of the time. Someday when we have CCW here in WI I will carry every day.

Working Man
January 16, 2006, 11:04 AM
100% unless laws/metal detectors prohibit.

Frandy
January 16, 2006, 11:22 AM
The reason I responded with a pretty low percentage is because the laws in NC prevent me from carrying most of the time. I work five days a week and can neither carry nor leave a weapon in my car within the company's parking lot. And, there isn't any other reasonable place to park. So, that means I can't have my weapon with me from the time I leave the house on any of these work days until the time I arrive home. That's a big chunk of my life.

While I'm on our property or inside the house, I again am not carrying (no, I don't carry when I go to the bathroom), so there's another chunk of my life.

If I go to the movies or any other venue that charges admission, any location that serves alcohol, a bank (inside, anyway), any government location, the local county and city parks...well, this is more time I can't carry, though where I can in these situations, I at least have my weapon locked in the car (not at the parks though, for example!)

So, no matter how much I might want to carry, the limitations placed on me make it difficult to do so. It's almost worth it over the weekend to go shopping or ANYWHERE, so I can carry. :evil:

Dusty Rusty
January 16, 2006, 11:26 AM
The only time I'm NOT carrying is when I'm going to and from work as well as at work. I work in a prison and guns are banned from the premises. I wish they would set up some kind of armory at the front entry so we could at least have them with us while we are on the road. Some people live a good distance from there but stuff happens close to home too.

EddieCoyle
January 16, 2006, 11:28 AM
This is tough. I picked 25%. That percentage would be WAY higher if I stayed home more. I can't carry a gun at work so there's a big chunk gone. I also travel on business about 2 weeks per month and on those trips, I'm likely to hit 3 or 4 destinations (with flights in between). Even when I'm travelling in the US, it's not practical getting carry permits for everywhere and then checking bags (I NEVER check bags unless I have to).

I live in a very gun-unfriendly state in an area of the country where the states are small. In the normal course of events, I cross state lines quite often. I have an "All Lawful Purposes" concealed carry permit for MA, also NH, and ME (don't need one in VT). I go to RI, CT, and NY frequently but I'm not licensed to carry in those states.

Work, travel, and going to states where I'm not legal seriously cuts into my gun carrying time.

dbracin
January 16, 2006, 11:36 AM
My Keltec P-3AT is ALWAYS is my pocket. Unless of course I left it at home in favor of the Kahr PM-9. ;)

dbracin
January 16, 2006, 11:39 AM
I live in NC and while I do not advocate breaking the law... concealed is.. well concealed. :rolleyes:

The reason I responded with a pretty low percentage is because the laws in NC prevent me from carrying most of the time. I work five days a week and can neither carry nor leave a weapon in my car within the company's parking lot. And, there isn't any other reasonable place to park. So, that means I can't have my weapon with me from the time I leave the house on any of these work days until the time I arrive home. That's a big chunk of my life.

While I'm on our property or inside the house, I again am not carrying (no, I don't carry when I go to the bathroom), so there's another chunk of my life.

If I go to the movies or any other venue that charges admission, any location that serves alcohol, a bank (inside, anyway), any government location, the local county and city parks...well, this is more time I can't carry, though where I can in these situations, I at least have my weapon locked in the car (not at the parks though, for example!)

So, no matter how much I might want to carry, the limitations placed on me make it difficult to do so. It's almost worth it over the weekend to go shopping or ANYWHERE, so I can carry. :evil:

Frandy
January 16, 2006, 01:54 PM
I live in NC and while I do not advocate breaking the law... concealed is.. well concealed.

We all make choices...we all decide the risks we take. I want and need my job and I want and need my freedom from potential incarceration. :evil:

SLCDave
January 16, 2006, 03:23 PM
Can't carry at work, carry everywhere else.

Zach S
January 16, 2006, 03:47 PM
I voted for being a man 50% of the time.... wait! That's not right. Well, you get the idea.

The only reason I couldn't vote for carrying 100% of the time is that I can't carry at work and feel uncomfortable leaving a handgun in the car for 9-10 hours a day as someone may see me remove it and know where to find it five days a week.
I voted for 75% of the time, for the same reason.

Double Maduro
January 16, 2006, 04:25 PM
Pax,

I haven't read all of the posts, so if this is a repeat, please ignore.

You left two categories out of your poll.

1. I am a man and carry during all of my waking hours.
2. I am a woman and carry during all of my waking hours.

Like many here, probably, I carry all the time, not just when I leave the house.

Good Poll.

DM

coma
January 16, 2006, 04:50 PM
I am a man and I carry 50% of the time. Not as much as I would like to, but I am stuck in Liberial Land Central AKA: "Massachusetts" , As shuch I can not carry at work because my work place does not allow it, and they do not allow any one to have any guns of any type on company property, Not that they search peoples cars, but if they found out you did have one in the car, even if it was locked up. Your fired on the spot.

Most of the rest of the time I have the P239 on me.

Frandy
January 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
I am a man and I carry 50% of the time. Not as much as I would like to, but I am stuck in Liberial Land Central AKA: "Massachusetts" , As shuch I can not carry at work because my work place does not allow it, and they do not allow any one to have any guns of any type on company property, Not that they search peoples cars, but if they found out you did have one in the car, even if it was locked up. Your fired on the spot.

Hey, I live in North Carolina and have the same limitation. North Carolina, as in Jesse Helms land...currently 2 Republican US Senators...Bible Belt...don't have to be in Machachuchetts...

thumper723
January 16, 2006, 05:05 PM
Live in Jacksonville FL. Cannot carry to or from work (Naval Station Mayport) even though I pass through rough neighborhoods. Once I come home, 75%of the time (not carrying if I am going to a bar, or a cookout, or a sporting event).

carebear
January 16, 2006, 05:07 PM
The poll doesn't say you carry it 100% of the time, it says you have a gun with you when you leave the house. If you always carry to work, and then leave it in your car, that's 100% not 50%.

This is about being armed away from home, not CCW-ing every second.

Skipper
January 16, 2006, 05:56 PM
I carry ALL the time,at home or away. I try my best not to go anywhere where I can't carry a sidearm.
Regards,
SKIP

IZinterrogator
January 16, 2006, 06:48 PM
I carry all the time, unless I know I have to go onto Fort Hood during that trip. They frown upon that kind of behavior. :cuss:

charliemopic
January 16, 2006, 07:29 PM
I live in Illinois, am law abiding, therefore I cannot and do not carry.
If IL. were to have a CCW provision I certainly would carry. I would not carry to, from or at work because the job forbidds firearms.
I AM law abiding.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!