Popular Mechanics' new gun-stereotype cover image

PDA

Manedwolf
January 13, 2006, 12:19 AM
Lovely. Article is about identity theft, so the cover is a circuit board made to look like a gun, like guns mean criminals...ha ha. :barf:

Anyone want to write to them?

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/200602.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Popular Mechanics' new gun-stereotype cover image" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crosshair
January 13, 2006, 12:35 AM
We MUST ban these Computers.......Oh, wait.:rolleyes:

birddog
January 13, 2006, 12:36 AM
Maybe I'm getting old, but this just doesn't bother me.

GunnySkox
January 13, 2006, 12:41 AM

I'm only eighteen and I can't quite work up an appropriate amount of indignation about it.

~GnSx

zahc
January 13, 2006, 12:41 AM
I think someone is being over sensitive. Guns are tools of violence. Take it.

Besides, PM is a very progun mag and run lots of gun ads.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 13, 2006, 12:42 AM
Popular Mechanics is very pro-gun. The editor even published a letter to subscribers telling them that they could bitch about Popular Mechanics covering guns all they liked; but that this coverage would not change.

So I doubt this is as big a deal as you are making it...

Hk91 Fan
January 13, 2006, 12:56 AM
Hey now,

I usually never post, yet, I feel that it is necessary for me to reinforce what Mr. Roberts has mentioned. Popular Mechanics is run by folks that are on our side. I have read the editorial that Mr. Roberts spoke of. I would leave this one alone.

McCall911
January 13, 2006, 01:05 AM
I thought that "Glock" on the cover was sorta neat.

Manedwolf
January 13, 2006, 01:18 AM
Hey now,

I usually never post, yet, I feel that it is necessary for me to reinforce what Mr. Roberts has mentioned. Popular Mechanics is run by folks that are on our side. I have read the editorial that Mr. Roberts spoke of. I would leave this one alone.

Well, I'm just thinking from the perspective of "blissninnys, sheep, gun phobics and those more apt to follow that line of thinking see this on the newsstand shelf"... and it further reinforces their negative stereotype. Gun = thing bad people use = bad.

Now, if it they had done a composition using the circuit-board gun (which is cool) in a way that emphasized that it represented YOUR defenses against the identity-thieves...such as putting the SS card behind the gun instead, and having the gun facing a page-edge fade into nebulous "internet threat" abstractions, and place the "how to fight back" in a way that indicated that's what it represented...then I'd say it'd be a better message. My opinion.

grimjaw
January 13, 2006, 01:34 AM
Wasn't the Glock the firearm of police units? Sends a mixed message to try to imply it's only used by criminals. I think they could have gotten their point across with a different image, though.

jmm

HighVelocity
January 13, 2006, 01:42 AM
Is that a Glock foty? :eek: :D

Justin
January 13, 2006, 02:14 AM
*yawn*

Chrontius
January 13, 2006, 02:55 AM
I should point out that in this month's issue, there's an excellent rundown of the XM-25 ... umm, cannon-thingy in there, along with the SOCOM S.C.A.R. (That just sounds bad-ass ^_^)

And that they run such articles frequently.

Besides, I think the circuit-glock looks kinda cool.

Stiletto Null
January 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
It's Popular Mechanics, dude.

Change your panties, they're too tight.

jojo
January 13, 2006, 09:24 AM
It's Popular Mechanics, dude.

Change your panties, they're too tight.

:D +1 on that. Making a lot out of nothing.

Janitor
January 13, 2006, 09:30 AM
*yawn*
Exactly.
-

Lebben-B
January 13, 2006, 09:34 AM
I thought Glocks weren't that complex. :)

That thing on the cover doesn't need a gunsmith so much as a computer engineer.

Mike

Big_R
January 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
Actually, I thought that was Glock's entry into the "smart gun" market.

Ryan

svtruth
January 13, 2006, 10:30 AM
it was going to be about a new smart gun.

oldschool
January 13, 2006, 10:31 AM
I may have to dig some old parts out of the trash, I mean spare parts bin, and do one up in a 1911 pattern. Integrate a Motrola Razor into the frame and youd have a neat "conversation" piece.

Henry Bowman
January 13, 2006, 10:35 AM
What do guns have to do with identity theft other than to imply that gun=crime?

BigG
January 13, 2006, 10:48 AM
What do guns have to do with identity theft other than to imply that gun=crime?

Robbery without a gun - kind of like taxation.

Ditto on the *yawn*

GunnySkox
January 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
It's a GeForce fo'ty! I hear that if you overclock it, it'll shoot .45 ACP, too!

:D
~GnSx
I win.

engineer151515
January 13, 2006, 12:15 PM
I thought we were going to get into the "smart gun" debate (more likely - debacle)

Popular Science (as opposed to Popular Mechanics) ran a story on the smart gun development lately.

http://img.timeinc.net/popsci/images/2006/01/tech0106gun_485v2.jpg

Article
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/generaltechnology/73317e40d3a48010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

eab
January 13, 2006, 12:16 PM
It's a GeForce fo'ty! I hear that if you overclock it, it'll shoot .45 ACP, too!

~GnSx
I win.

Thats FUNNY :D :D :D

walking arsenal
January 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by birddog

I'm only eighteen and I can't quite work up an appropriate amount of indignation about it.

I'm indignant, but thats a daily acurance for me.

Herself
January 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
Tsk! You haven't looked at it the right way. It's not guns = crime, it's Glocks = crime!

That's why I don't carry one.

This stuff is sooooo easy!

--Herself

springmom
January 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
I thought it was sort of clever. Would have been more interesting to see them try to turn that motherboard into a revolver....

Popular Mechanics is pro-gun. They're just indulging in some eye-grabbing graphics, not editorializing.

Springmom

DragonFire
January 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure the image is really that negative towards guns.

I think it's suppose to symbolize that people are no longer just being "robbed" at gun point but also by technology, depending on the contents of the actual article, it could also symbolize that you not only need to defend yourself with a gun, but also with technology.

Basically its more technology=weapon than it is gun=crime.

Just my 2 cents.

Windhover45
January 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure what the indignation is for. I look at the cover photo (techni looking Glock atop a Social Security Card), along with the written headline "...Here's how to fight back," and come up with the image of the gun as a weapon against High Tech Identity Theft.

Technosavant
January 13, 2006, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure the image is really that negative towards guns.

I think it's suppose to symbolize that people are no longer just being "robbed" at gun point but also by technology, depending on the contents of the actual article, it could also symbolize that you not only need to defend yourself with a gun, but also with technology.

Basically its more technology=weapon than it is gun=crime.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 here. Robbery is no longer a personal violation; it can be done without ever being within hundreds of miles of your victim, and identity theft can scam more (and take longer to clean up) than your average mugging.

I used to love PM. In high school, I began subscribing to Road & Track instead. Maybe I need to go back to PM, especially if they are pro-gun. They usually had some good articles on new tech.

molonlabe
January 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
I want one. especially if it plays I tunes and mpegs has a camera and at least 4 gigs of memory.

and holds at least 15 rounds and is called The IGlock

kjeff50cal
January 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
Isn't that the gun that piece of...... politician wants the MA legislature make the gun manufaturers sell?:neener:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/01/12/firearms_tracking_device_urged/

kjeff50cal

cosine
January 13, 2006, 04:15 PM
I though it was a pretty cool picture, and my first thought was that it was going to be an article about "smart guns."

The caption with the picture says High-Tech Crime is Getting Worse -- Here's How to Fight Back

Maybe they're thinking "gun used against crime in lawful self-defense" judging by the way they put that magazine cover together
Just a though.

George Hill
January 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
That's not a stereo type. Calm down. It's a prototype.
That's the new Glock X86 with Hyper-Threading Hyper-Velocity.

redneck2
January 13, 2006, 05:31 PM
That's not a stereo type. Calm down. It's a prototype.

Yeah, cause if it was a stereo type, it would be model 5.1 and made by Bose

sturmruger
January 13, 2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry I can't seem to find anything wrong with this picture.

Technosavant
January 13, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah, cause if it was a stereo type, it would be model 5.1 and made by Bose

And it would have the same quality as something made by, say, Jennings, while costing more than a Nighthawk Custom 1911. Meanwhile, columnists who have never fired a gun before will declare it the best, safest, and most lethal device since the invention of the firearm.

nfl1990
January 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Popular Mechanics is very pro-gun. The editor even published a letter to subscribers telling them that they could bitch about Popular Mechanics covering guns all they liked; but that this coverage would not change.

I remember that, that was hilairious.
I also remember that for like 3 months after the S&W500 came out they ran at least one full page ad and in one of them they wrote an article on it. They also have an ad for Henry Repeating Arms every month.

Kruzr
January 13, 2006, 07:25 PM
?? Not only am I not bothered by it, I think it is clever and appropriate for the title of the article.

Kodiaz
January 14, 2006, 12:26 AM
When they start selling smart guns can I buy the dumb guns.

hksw
January 14, 2006, 11:25 AM
"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to use this here Dell Inspiron......BZZZZZZZT (smoke)"

Gifted
January 14, 2006, 05:20 PM
So now that plastic guns have settled into the market, they're making them out of silicon too?:neener:

DMK
January 14, 2006, 06:25 PM
The caption with the picture says

" High-Tech Crime is Getting Worse -- Here's How to Fight Back"

Maybe they're thinking "gun used against crime in lawful self-defense" judging by the way they put that magazine cover together
Just a though.That was my first thought too.

I saw the cover and thought cool, a computer in the shape of the gun as imagary of how we can protect ourselves.

kahr40
January 14, 2006, 07:55 PM
I don't see anything negative here. It's not about smart guns. A gun is a method of self defense. The graphic demonstrates defense against high tech crime.

Even if it was about smart guns thats no problem as long as the approach is balanced. The antis are going to keep pushing them . PM looking at technology is part of what the magazine's mission. As long as the coverage is balanced no problem.

Dionysusigma
January 14, 2006, 09:46 PM
hksw: "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to use this here Dell Inspiron......BZZZZZZZT (smoke)"

BWAAA HAA HAAA!! :D :D :p

Skunkabilly
April 24, 2006, 12:25 PM
I don't like it. It might hurt my hand on a reload with those little pins there.

dhoomonyou
April 24, 2006, 04:40 PM
zahc

I think someone is being over sensitive. Guns are tools of violence. Take it.

"tools of violence" ?

Now I am offended.

Offwhite
April 24, 2006, 04:53 PM
It looks like some crazy Glock

Justin
April 24, 2006, 04:57 PM
Skunkster, since when did you take up being a Necromancer?

mbs357
April 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
Lovely. Article is about identity theft, so the cover is a circuit board made to look like a gun, like guns mean criminals...ha ha.
When I first saw it I thought of it as a metaphor to fighting back...
The way its over the persons' SSC makes it look like it's protecting it.
But that's just me.

Carl N. Brown
April 24, 2006, 06:12 PM
It re-inforces the stereotype of gun = robbery.

mbs357
April 24, 2006, 06:41 PM
I dunno..
I just associate something being behind something as being protected/defended by it.
If the muzzle was pointing at the SSC, then I'd have to agree.

Valkman
April 24, 2006, 08:10 PM
I might've got worked up if it was a 1911. But it's a Glock. Meh. :p

adaman04
April 24, 2006, 09:07 PM
That has been in a magazine rack that is in my daily route for weeks. At first I thought it might have something to do with guns so I got excited. That didn't last long.

Skunkabilly
April 24, 2006, 09:50 PM
Skunkster, since when did you take up being a Necromancer?

Necromancer? That's like, an SAT word, and I did bad on my Verbal :uhoh:

Daniel T
April 25, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think it was referring to your ability to raise the dead. Like this thread. ;)

sm
April 25, 2006, 01:23 PM
*yawn*

Tunnel vision is not good. One needs to step back at times and ask if the glass half empty - or half full. Some seem ready to pounce on anything...

My first impression, which if you add $5 to my thoughts you get change back from a gallon of gas btw...

What do I see and read?

Title Who's Stealing Your Identity?

High-Tech Crime is Getting Worse
--Here's How to Fight Back

Well, I will never see SSN monies most likely, so in a way .gov has been using high tech to steal my money. Criminals use high tech to steal Idenities, having been through ID Theft of sorts- yeah, I can relate.

The gun: hey .gov uses high tech all the time as do the criminals to steal information. Granted .gov and criminals - I repeated myself in some cases.

Hackers get into a business system, then unless you pay them the blackmail money, you cannot gain access to business files. A lot of this goes unreported as to not get into public record, and to lessen embarrassment.

Gun symbolizes getting "held up" in a high tech way.

Gun symbolizes using high tech "weapons" to defend one's self from evil.

"So how did you Steve get popped? You always speak of being aware?"

Easy, my mail, bank statements, CC billing and College Materials ( with SSN # for ID,] went into the wrong pigeon hole apt complex mail box. These two mailboxes were for apts vacant for a bit. I called, fumed, ranted, inquired...to no avail to everyone to STOP, as I had not gotten mail. USPS temporary even with my photo ID and DL would not me "inquire" as to the mail in a mailbox not mine, not even a vacant one. Landlord somehow used a master key (huh) and threw away all the "junk mail" in those mailboxes.

It was too late for me, and I raised nine kinds of cain.

I know more about all this this, needs to stay private.

I can say I figured out whom was trying to "pull something " on mom via the mail. All it took was me having her put "suite C" on her return address on something. Mom lives in a house...when "somethings" came back...I knew exactly whom had been attempting to pull a scam. "Apt D" on another of hers revealed another.

Think like a thief.

I don't even own a TV, only get one mag 'script, sometimes read other mags...

My energies are on what it takes for me to be me, and that of a responsible firearm owner. Not really interested in wasting my time unwadding panties and shorts of others...just hate it when they breathe MY air when anal about some stuff....

I have seen a lot of scams in my day, just some now are able to be done using more high tech means.

I am learning about ACLs (Access Control Lists) Firewalls , Routing Configs, and all sorts of things to - among other things, to be better able to DEFEND and stay Safe.

I mean we do say around here to train the brain, to get training no matter what defensive tool we choose to learn, carry, and have handy...

Then again I am one known to attend a Anti-Gun meeting, PETA meeting to see how my enemies think. I can be dumb as a brick, blend in, and learn from opponents.

Learn from everthing .

One can learn from mistakes - just a whole lot less expensive and painful if someone else's mistakes.

Justin
April 25, 2006, 02:32 PM
Necromancer? That's like, an SAT word, and I did bad on my Verbal

For a guy who can say "carbon fiber" in about a dozen languages, I find this hard to believe. :p

I think it was referring to your ability to raise the dead. Like this thread.;)

Bingo. :)

Skunkabilly
April 25, 2006, 02:41 PM
Ahso. Weird. Scoured 'new posts' and not sure how this one came up.

Carl N. Brown
April 25, 2006, 02:44 PM
if the glass is being emptied, it is half empty.
if the glass us being filled, it is half full

If you enjoyed reading about "Popular Mechanics' new gun-stereotype cover image" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!