reloading .22's

PDA

belton-deer-hunter
January 13, 2006, 11:23 AM
i know that you cant reload the brass but is it possible to find the primed brass and laod them your self? i have looked and havent found them i know they are a dime a dozen but i wouled like to load my own for a while jsut to have some thing to do

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading .22's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
January 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
"i have looked and havent found them"

I don't think you will either, no matter how hard you look. If by chance you do find any primed cases, your next task is going to be finding the heeled bullets for them (or a mold to cast them) followed by finding a die set to seat and crimp them.

Let the commercial manufacturers do your legwork for you while you look for something else to do.

Geno
January 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
It does sound fun! Furthermore, one could experiment with the bullet's shape, density and weight for optimal accuracy, penetration, etc. You might contact Lee or RCBS and inquire as to the possibilities. If that doesn't pan out anything, contact a company that manufactures .22LRs and ask them.

For my part, I have long wanted to design (or to have someone design) a .22 cartridge, somewhat smaller than the .22 Hornet, still using a centerfire primer, with about 2 grains of powder, under a 40 grain hard cast lead projectile, for a proposed velocity (subsonic for accuracy) of about 750 fps. I think this sort of round, in a T/C Contender, would be a whole lot of fun!

However, that aside and back to your question, I had thought of exactly this possibility some years back and never followed up on it. Please let me know what you learn.

Doc2005

Vern Humphrey
January 13, 2006, 02:49 PM
You can almost reload them -- there are subcaliber inserts that use .22 Ramset blanks. These are basically steel cartridge cases, and you insert the bullet (they make them in just about any caliber) in the neck, and the .22 blank in an offset chamber in the head, so the firing pin from your centerfire rifle will strike it.

m0ntels
January 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
I read something a while back on Rimfire Central or some other forum about pulling 22 WMR bullets and replacing them with Hornady V-Max bullets. Also heard stories of someone on eBay selling bags of primed 22 WMR cases.

As for 22 LR, read another forum story that a guy bet him $20 he couldnt reload a fired 22 LR. The guy ended up mixing strike anywhere match heads with water and using that as primer, adding a few grains of BP or such, then the projectile from another bullet and he fired it and won the bet.

Other than that, I cant help ya. At $1/50 rds for preloaded stuff though and the dangerously small amount of powder, that is one cartridge that even I wouldnt reload. And I load 9mm and 12 gauge 2.75" loads. :o

Randy

Vern Humphrey
January 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
Ross Seifried writes about being on a quest to find a reloadable .22 LR. And here I thought the .22 Hornet would cover that.:D

Jim Watson
January 13, 2006, 04:41 PM
There is the .22 CCM - Cooper Centerfire Magnum - of .22 WRM dimensions, but centerfire. Cooper isn't making them any more and I don't know where you would get components.

There are a couple of sources for centerfire conversions of the 5mm Remington.

Once upon a time there was a .22 Long Rifle Centerfire, made in Europe for gallery insert barrels for bigger caliber guns but not requiring offset firing pin gadgetry.

Not to mention the infamous .221 Askins.

I have heard the usual stories of handloading .22 WRM.

MNgoldenbear
January 13, 2006, 04:43 PM
I think you used to be able to shoot them again, in a manner of speaking. I seem to remember reading that RCBS started out making swaging dies to form 22 centerfire bullet jackets out of .22 LR casings. Hence the name "RCBS" -- Rock Chuck Bullet Swage, after the "rock chucks" that were prime varmint targets in the Sierras. When manipulating rimfire rounds, do remember that if you're playing with live cartridges, the priming compound is IN THE RIM, which is also about the only good place to try to get a grip on the case. Could result in unfortunate ignition. :(

PO2Hammer
January 13, 2006, 04:49 PM
I read an article where silhouette shooters would pull the bullets on .22lr rounds and the reload them with bullseye or red dot with a heavier bullet. I cant remember how they dealt with heeled bullets
For my part, I have long wanted to design (or to have someone design) a .22 cartridge, somewhat smaller than the .22 Hornet, still using a centerfire primer, with about 2 grains of powder, under a 40 grain hard cast lead projectile, for a proposed velocity (subsonic for accuracy) of about 750 fps. I think this sort of round, in a T/C Contender, would be a whole lot of fun!

I've been thinking the same thing. I was in the gun shop yesterday and a guy just picked up a set of dies for the new FN five-seven round. It struck me that it might be the ultimate mini .22.
The case is tiny, with a cylindrical body and sharp shoulder and it takes .224" bullets. Loaded rounds and brass are available.

The Bushmaster
January 13, 2006, 10:45 PM
give me a break fella's. For $15 or less you can get a brick of 500 rounds of your favorite .22's...Then go plinkin'...:D

PO2Hammer
January 14, 2006, 03:53 AM
That's too easy, besides, nobody makes an accurate CB round.

Chawbaccer
January 14, 2006, 01:00 PM
Why not chamber a rifle in .25 ACP?
Anyways I remember an old advertisement for liquid priming compound for the rf, try shipping that thru the mail these days.
Also my recollecting is that CCI supplied primed .22 mag brass to hornady for the development of the .17 rf.
I've also come across instructions for wildcattin the 22lr, I think it was for a .14.

larryw
January 14, 2006, 07:15 PM
I know some folks who used to reload 22LR for matches by disassembling loaded rounds and going from there.

Most quit because they got sick of picking the brass bits out of their hide after the cartridge exploded. The rest quit after the governing bodies made reloaded rimfire ammo against the rules due to the danger involved in reloading said ammo.

PO2Hammer
January 14, 2006, 09:48 PM
Another neat one that I used to shoot many moons ago is a OO buck pellet (.360") coated with Alox over two grains of Red Dot, Bullseye or Unique in a .38 spl or .357 mag case.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading .22's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!