I know we don't need another Firefly thread

PDA

zahc
January 13, 2006, 12:53 PM
But it's SO good! I'm so happy to watch a positively pro-gun, pro self defense, pro libertarianism TV show.

It just needed saying again. Go buy the box set.

If you enjoyed reading about "I know we don't need another Firefly thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Herself
January 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, of course we needed another Firefly thread! The old one had quieted down.

If the future looks like that, it won't be totally awful. At least there's still some looseness around the edges.

--Herself

zahc
January 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
One of my favorite parts is where one crew member is presented as ominously confronting Malcolm in the ship with what appears to be an assault rifle. Then he very gravely expresses that he wishes to trade it!:p

Guns != violence, I love it.

TexasRifleman
January 13, 2006, 01:12 PM
One of my favorite parts is where one crew member is presented as ominously confronting Malcolm in the ship with what appears to be an assault rifle. Then he very gravely expresses that he wishes to trade it!:p

Guns != violence, I love it.

Yeah, but he's offering to trade it for a woman..... bad trade. I traded in some things for a wife once. Guess which I wish I'd kept......

HankB
January 13, 2006, 01:12 PM
Then he very gravely expresses that he wishes to trade it! Yeah, but remember what Jayne was trying to trade his favorite rifle for?!?! :D

edited to add: TexasSIGMan was just a little quicker on the ENTER key than I was.

Herself
January 13, 2006, 01:25 PM
It would have served him right if Malcom had taken him up on the deal. It might've served Saffron right, too. Probably not, though.

It was after that episode, I think, that Jayne offered his opinion that "girlfolk aren't to be trusted."

He's right. We're not. Boyfolk ain't to be trusted either, though, not til ya know 'em!

My husband points out that every time the crew pass up carrying a weapon, like on the Mudder's planet or when Mal won't let Jayne carry grenades in the movie, they end up wishing they had them. No guns = danger. Another good message!

--Herself

davek
January 13, 2006, 01:36 PM
Look what the mailman brought meeee last Wednesday. :neener:

http://www.fototime.com/{592BD9B3-63C9-4A93-91AB-46A1B43C18FD}/picture.JPG

wingnutx
January 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
"that's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth"

TexasRifleman
January 13, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but remember what Jayne was trying to trade his favorite rifle for?!?! :D

edited to add: TexasSIGMan was just a little quicker on the ENTER key than I was.

You can't beat us hardcore Firefly nerds to a thread can ya :D

Razor
January 13, 2006, 08:57 PM
Look what the mailman brought meeee last Wednesday. :neener:

http://www.fototime.com/{592BD9B3-63C9-4A93-91AB-46A1B43C18FD}/picture.JPG

You just got one? Sheesh, newbie....:neener:

:)

Okay, who can ID all the firearms used in the episode "Heart of Gold"?

The Freeholder
January 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
Look what the mailman brought meeee last Wednesday.

Ah, but did you get the matching gloves?

Silver Bullet
January 13, 2006, 09:16 PM
I posted this info over at APS, but I guess I can post it here, too.

Firefly Easter Eggs and Scripts

Some of this has been presented before, but now for your one-stop shopping pleasure I'm summarizing the eggs I know about plus the location of the Firefly theme song in Serenity.

Firefly DVD set Easter egg
1. Boot up Disk 4.
2. Select “Special Features”.
3. Highlight “Joss Sings the Firefly Theme”.
4. Hit the DVD controller left arrow; the curly graphic on the left side of the screen should change from white to yellow.
5. Hit the DVD controller Play key.

Adam Baldwin sings “Hero of Canton”.

Serenity DVD Easter egg
1. Highlight “Bonus Materials”.
2. Hit the DVD controller left arrow; the wedge on the right side of the screen (at the 9 o’clock position) will enable.
3. Click the wedge.

Some background info on how the Fruity Oaty Bar advertisement was created.

Firefly theme on Serenity DVD
I've read people were disappointed that the theme song from the Firefly series doesn't show up in Serenity. Actually, it does. At the end of the credits at the end of the movie, the movie theme segues into an acoustical guitar version of the Firefly theme song. Very cool; very poignant. I'm reminded how good the music was in Firefly. My favorites are the music all through Out of Gas and at the funeral at the end of The Message. By the way, don't fast-forward through the credits to get to the Firefly theme. The closing theme for the movie, played all through the credits, is fantastic in its own way.

Scripts or very detailed synopses of every Firefly episode can be found here:
http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/EpisodeGuide

Select an episode and then select Read the script.

The script of the entire Serenity movie can be had here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1845760824/qid=1136905377/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-8657741-9718447?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Chinese-to-English translation of much of the Chinese phrases spoken and written is here. It's your chance to find out who invited someone to "engage in a feces hurling contest with a monkey." Not very lady-like. :)
http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/

Props from the movie:
http://www.propstore.com/list/cat_id/8/pos/0/num_display/15/view/0/ob/itm/movs/877

davek
January 13, 2006, 09:19 PM
Ah, but did you get the matching gloves?

No, but I'm gonna knit me a cunning hat.

wingnutx
January 15, 2006, 12:36 AM
I need one of those hats to wear to the range.

I have reserves next weekend, maybe I'll wear it in formation.

Tsonda
January 15, 2006, 12:57 AM
Oh yes we do! (sorry this is the edited part) Thanks for the hidden stuff, how do people find this? Where did you find the t-shirts? I am thinking of asking my Grandma to knit me a cunning hat as well!

Bruce333
January 15, 2006, 10:50 AM
Where did you find the t-shirts? I am thinking of asking my Grandma to knit me a cunning hat as well!

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/firefly
http://www.fireflyfans.net/marketplace.asp

davek
January 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks Silver Bullet!

I've been wondering what that long winded rant was that Wash gave Zoe in "War Stories".

"All the planets in space flushed into my butt!"

I'm gonna start using that every time my wife tries to give me the runaround. :D

Oh yes we do! (sorry this is the edited part) Thanks for the hidden stuff, how do people find this? Where did you find the t-shirts? I am thinking of asking my Grandma to knit me a cunning hat as well!

I got mine at bluesunshirts.com (http://www.blusunshirts.com)

And here (http://dryope.typepad.com/superfly/jayne_cobb_hat/) are some resources on Jayne's hat.

davek
January 15, 2006, 11:53 AM
dp

Herself
January 15, 2006, 02:11 PM
A little noodling around on Cafe Press will also produce quite an array of Firefly/Serenity goodies.

--H

Silver Bullet
January 15, 2006, 05:27 PM
I agree, that Cafe Press site is surprising in the quantity of Firefly items.

One thing missing, though, is some sort of model of the ship:

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=37364

Scroll down about 55% to get to the Serenity Zippo lighter and "ornament."

Herself
January 15, 2006, 05:53 PM
H'mmm. Nice ornament and the Zippo lighter is pretty much the 1911 of fire-producing devices!

Here's an example of a Cafe Press buy, along with a gun that wasn't seen in the series but could have been...

--H

Silver Bullet
January 15, 2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the hidden stuff, how do people find this?
Some of the computer program Easter Eggs I’ve seen have such convoluted “keys” to get to them that I assume the only way people know about the eggs is if a program insider passed the word along to someone.

The Firefly/Serenity DVD keys are simple enough that somebody could have discovered them accidentally, I think.

What I don’t understand is why are these features hidden in this manner ?

Drizzt
January 16, 2006, 03:31 AM
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:27:26 -0000
Subject: Something touching.....

For those of you who haven't seen this. I caught reference to it on
the forums.prospero.com/firefly site...it was a link to a posting on
the fireflyfans.net site. Whether true or not I can't attest to but
still something that touched me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STATIC
Murphy's Second Law of Combat: If your attack is going particularly
well, you've walked into an ambush.

I know that a couple of people who are not real thrilled that some of
us soldier-type guys shout out firefly-isms during combat, and I can
honestly understand that. However, I hope that Joss and Tim read this
and find it inspiring, and I hope that everyone feels their guts knot
up as much as I did. . .and maybe a tear or two will well up in your
eyes, as they are streaming down my face just from the telling of
this. . .

As you all know, I've been a soldier stationed in Afghanistan for
quite some time now. Many of you know that I'm posting this from my
own home tonight, as I have been permitted to come home for ten days
on leave. It's been a very long time since I've been home. I flew from
Afghanistan to Frankfurt via military cargo jet (C-17 for those 'in
the know'), and the next morning, we got on a commercial flight to
Chicago. I got off the plane, grabbed my big-assed duffel bags and
prepared to wait in line for customs, and to my delight, the Customs
officers were pulling any soldier-types out of line and passing them
through, with a pat on the back and a 'welcome home'. I immediately
had to re-check my bags for my final flight, and after doing so, I
made a beeline outside. I crossed the street and walked into the snow,
the first I'd seen since January 2003, and stood at the base of the
American Flag for a second before I finally became overwhelmed and
fell to my knees. I grabbed a double handful of snow and rubbed it all
over my face. When I stood up, I realized there were almost 20 other
soldiers with me, all who had the same idea. Most of us didn't know
each other at all, but for that moment, we were brothers who had been
best of friends all our lives.
We decided to head on inside, and one young man, his name was Mike,
was still overwhelmed with emotion and could not stand. Another
soldier, a friend of his, went to lift Mike, and I took Mike's other
arm. Mike smiled weakly and thanked us. Here's where it gets tough to
even tell the story, and I hope Joss and Tim read this. . .

Mike's friend said, "You know the saying, Mikey. . .when you can't run
anymore you crawl. . ." and before he could say anymore, I finished it
for him. "And when you can't do that anymore, you find someone to
carry you."

Mike and his buddy, and about half the guys who were standing there
with us all smiled. We looked up at the flag and Mike said, "They
didn't take the sky from us." Turns out they were all Browncoats, and
they were home from Iraq for good.

Joss, Tim and all the rest of you. . .I don't know if you had any idea
that what you created would be so powerful, and provide such
inspiration for those of us who serve, but it does. Thank you.

And to all of you whom I've come to call my friends on this site,
thank YOU. Because of your love and support, the 'bad guys' are unable
to take the sky from ME.

I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Makes ya proud to be a Browncoat eh?

Pevey
January 16, 2006, 08:33 AM
It was nice to know my Customs brothers up North are treating the servicemen right. Its a small thing to shoot someone to the head of the line and give them a "Welcome Back" but its the least we can do considering how you guys put it all on the line for freedom. Not everyone gets what it means for a traveler to come back home and be treated like a person and I'm glad at least in your case, we did something right. I don't usually post but your story got me where it counts. Thanks for the sacrifice.

Silver Bullet
February 1, 2006, 11:25 PM
Another interesting link:

http://www.twoevilmonks.org/firefly/ffintro.htm

Half of the episodes have photos and descriptions from that particular episode. Half will be filled in later. Maybe.

Kinda like watching an episode on fast-forward. Almost.

Silver Bullet
February 1, 2006, 11:49 PM
An MP3:

http://media28a.libsyn.com/podcasts/thesignal/signal_001_20060201.mp3

KriegHund
February 1, 2006, 11:54 PM
Serenity is an excellent movie. Lots og good stuff (10mm MP5's, UMP's,,,)

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...

http://www.fireflywiki.org/img/Ballad_of_Serenity.mp3

Coolness :)

# Nee ta ma duh tyen-shia suo-yo duh run doh gai si. [Mal sounds like Nee ta ma duh tyen-shia soy ya duh ren doh goy swa.]
# "F*** everyone in the universe to death."
# Mal, on learning there's a mole on board

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Silver Bullet
July 9, 2006, 11:45 AM
Sci-Fi channel has a Firefly marathon this coming Friday. Ten episodes in a row.

hoji
July 9, 2006, 03:36 PM
In mine and my wife's opinion "Firefly" was one of{if not the best} best shows to ever air on television.
The movie was one of the most enjoyable experiences at a theater in a long time.{ We saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse, anyone in the Austin area knows this is the best place to see a movie}
I wish they would bring it back.

Stickjockey
July 9, 2006, 04:27 PM
Oh, there's some out there aimin' to misbehave:

http://www.fireflyseason2.com

Who knows?:evil:

Edit, to add-

RE: Drizzt's little bit; if that don't meet the definition of "Big Da-- Heroes," I don't know what does.

evan price
July 9, 2006, 07:37 PM
Was pretty durn near the best show on TV when it was running, heard rumors the SCIFI network may want to order Season Two although after Serenity The Movie it is obvious it won't have all the same cast.

Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Silver Bullet
July 9, 2006, 08:33 PM
it is obvious it won't have all the same cast.
Not so fast. The show's creator has been quoted as saying that all the characters would return if there were a new movie. And, there's a six month gap between the last tv episode and the movie; theoretically they could fit all the shows in that time, although the River story arc would obviously be very muted, since we would already know how that comes out.

There were several different characters for whom the tv episodes hinted about whose pasts could be further developed: Reverend Book ("He ain't no shepherd" -- Jubal Early, Objects in Space); Inara, and her mysterious syringes and cryptic utterances ("I don't want to die at all" -- Inara, Out of Gas); and the Blue Sun corporation.

That was part (although by no means all) of the fun of that show. Even as the various episodes thrilled and enthralled us, the creators were dropping little hints of things to come.

SiG Lady
July 9, 2006, 10:35 PM
It's NEVER a bad time for a repeat Firefly-lovin' thread!!! Feel the loooooove.... :cool: :cool:

Yeh, for Jayne to offer one of his best guns for the woman was a gesture we had to recognize as serious... But it was funny, too. :D

All the guns in "Heart of Gold"...??!! My God, they used every gun imaginable!!

OK, now where's MY Blue Sun tee-shirt........

GrammatonCleric
July 9, 2006, 10:55 PM
I love this show. I wish it were still around. It is the only TV show I've ever purchased on DVD. The last I heard of any story continuation, is that Joss is writing another comic book series. I doubt many of you read comic books, but I enjoy reading them.

evan price
July 9, 2006, 11:04 PM
Silver Bullet: Without spoiling it for anyone who has NOT seen the movie, how do you explain how it can POSSIBLY have the same cast? Even if yes, we run some more in the time between ending of Season 1 and the Serenity movie, those of use who saw the movie know the eventual outcome.

Although of those certain characters who wouldn't normally be back after the movie- I really liked them!

Jayne: "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command here."

Silver Bullet
July 9, 2006, 11:45 PM
I dunno either. That's the show's creator's job to figure out ! :p

1911user
July 10, 2006, 12:53 AM
I'm working on a couple of firefly newbies now. I loaned them both the movie and series DVDs; they better become converts! It's still selling well on Amazon although the price is constantly up and down on the series. I'd love to see season 2 and script writers can perform miracles if needed. As far as the guns in Heart of Gold: everything in the prop room and anyplace else they could scrounge from.

Bruce333
July 10, 2006, 08:58 AM
Silver Bullet: Without spoiling it for anyone who has NOT seen the movie, how do you explain how it can POSSIBLY have the same cast?Because it's Hollywood! The most common way of bringing back characters is in flashbacks. There is also more than enough time, in the Serenity verse, to insert stories inbetween the series and the movie.

I'd love to see more about Book and Inara.

Book: This is precision work: sharpshooters. From the look of these wounds, I'd say a 54-R sniper rifle, laser sights.
Jayne: You do a lot of shooting at the abbey there, Shepherd?
Book: Rabbits.
Jayne: For stew, sure.

Yeager
July 10, 2006, 09:14 AM
Anyone else think that this show was canceled after the first season because of the strong pro-gun pro-freedom pro-independence overtones? *tinfoil hat*

mbs357
July 10, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thar be easter eggs through out the show too.
First episode, around the time Inara docks with Serenity you see an Imperial Shuttle taking off and flying away.

In that episode with the floating houses above the ocean you can see an SR-71 flying in the background as our heroes land.

statelineblues
July 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
My wife, a HUGE Buffy fan, turned me on to Firefly - yes, I'm a product of the '70s sci-fi craze - and I really liked the show. But I can see why it failed; today's audiences are looking for psuedo reality, not escapism. I swear the mindset now is "don't make me think - just entertain me". Joss created a show that needs to be WATCHED, not just for the plot, but the subtle twists and turns that the charaters interaction with each other and the outside galaxy provide.
Remember, Joss is a big Star Wars fan - there's more than one referance to "SW" in the TV show and the movie.
And as for continuing the show, it would be easy. As was said earlier, "It's Hollywood!" A couple of examples: during her confinement, the blue hands found that River has telepathic powers, and can send and recieve thoughts instantly. Imagine what that would mean to communicating over the vast distances of space...
The Browncoats are still around, only hiding out - and some of them want to start the war again...
And there are always the ever-present villians to throw int the pot.
There would have to be some changes, but I could see it coming back; after all, who in 1970 would have believed "Star Trek" would ever return?

ibex
July 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hm, I've been thinking (never a good omen)... :neener:

Is it just me or is Buffy (the whole show, not just the character) profoundly anti-gun? If so, why the complete reversal of paradigm? Is it just that a pro-gun attitude didn't fit into the theme/genre of BtVS? Did Joss Whedon have an epiphany that changed his mind? Something else?

statelineblues
July 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
C'mon, ibex - what fun is there in just shooting a vamp? Kinda like Indiana Jones and the sword-weilding fighter....

the naked prophet
July 10, 2006, 11:27 AM
In one of the commentaries (yes, I have the series and listened to/watched all the commentaries and extras) Joss Whedon mentions that he hates guns, he won't even touch them.

I kinda thought that he'd do well if he produced "Lights Out" as a series, kind of the way it was written. That whole anti-gun thing could be a problem though.

Justin
July 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
Joss is on record as being pretty much your typical lefty.

It's a true testament to his abilities as a writer that he is so convincingly able to present characters that are so unabashedly and obviously liberty-oriented; characters who aren't just a mouthpiece for his particular world-view.

silliman89
July 10, 2006, 12:11 PM
In one of the commentaries (yes, I have the series and listened to/watched all the commentaries and extras) Joss Whedon mentions that he hates guns, he won't even touch them.

It's a true testament to his abilities as a writer that he is so convincingly able to present characters that are so unabashedly and obviously liberty-oriented; characters who aren't just a mouthpiece for his particular world-view.

Yes. I'm very impressed that he is able to overcome his own point of view.

In fact, now that I think about it, all the actors choose to live in LA LA land. It only stands to reason that some of them must not like guns either. But you never get that from their characters.

DigitalWarrior
July 10, 2006, 12:24 PM
The bedlam bards have a wonderful set of songs based on Firefly.

My favorite is "out of gas".

It pointed out that the man who boards Mal's vessel was a browncoat too.

Browncoat!= Brown shirt. One I would shoot with, the other I would shoot at.:neener:

I used to laugh at the star-trek geeks, but then I found Serenity. Now you will see me running around with a brown leather coat.

statelineblues
July 10, 2006, 02:40 PM
Sorry to all out there for my lapse! I did mean browncoats! I'm a history buff and my only excuse is that I have watching too much History Channel lately.........:o

'Card
July 10, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'd beg to differ on that one. In virtually every Whedon interview I've ever read (and I think I've tracked down a healthy percentage of 'em) the man refuses to label his politics, but comes across as a sincere libertarian.

As far as the discussion about if/how they'd continue the saga without major character changes, remember that this is the guy responsible for Buffy, and he's notorious for resurrecting deceased or departed characters. Also keep in mind that the series thus far has given us little more than a glimpse of the technology available to the Alliance. We've already seen one character's mind at least partially transferred to a machine. I think all sorts of things are possible within that universe.

"I aim to misbehave."

Silver Bullet
July 10, 2006, 09:05 PM
First episode, around the time Inara docks with Serenity you see an Imperial Shuttle taking off and flying away.

In that episode with the floating houses above the ocean you can see an SR-71 flying in the background as our heroes land.

I'll have to watch for those. Guess I missed them the first sixteen times I watched those two episodes. :)

I did notice in the Battlestar Galactica pilot a Firefly class ship flying overhead. Occurs about 15 minutes into one of the episodes, I think the first.

Some of the same special effects guys from Firefly were later working on BG.

Dave R
July 10, 2006, 09:32 PM
From the look of these wounds, I'd say a 54-R sniper rifle, laser sights.Did he say 54R? Like 7.62X54R? Proof that Moisins are still in use in 2312 or whenever Firefly is set. (Or was that a Dragunov??) They just upgraded the optics, and its going strong on it 5th century...

Bonus points for identifying the base rifle from which Vera is built...

Silver Bullet
July 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
in 2312 or whenever Firefly is set.

According to this site:

http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/FireflyTimeline

the year 2517 would be a pretty good guess.

the naked prophet
July 10, 2006, 11:21 PM
I don't think that hating guns could be compatible with being libertarian, though I hate abortion and consider myself to be libertarian, so I guess that's possible.

But I don't recall, in any episode or the movie, anybody's mind being partially transferred to a machine?

statelineblues
July 10, 2006, 11:58 PM
I still find it odd that there are wheel guns and lever actions........I want Jayne's wallpaper!

mindwip
July 11, 2006, 01:15 AM
There are a lot of autos in Firefly, but i think the main char. use wheelguns because it gives it a more western feel

statelineblues
July 11, 2006, 03:21 AM
And did anybody else see the resemblance between Zoe's gun and Steve McQueen's Mare's leg from "Wanted: Dead or Alive"? Or am I just the last one to figure that out...

Warren
July 11, 2006, 03:53 AM
In Buffy they didn't want to do guns because that would not fit with the feel of the show.

It was about getting up close and personal with the beasties.

Now, in Angel in the last few seasons Wesly Wyndham-Price became quite the gun slinger. Wearing a double shoulder holster and keeping a shotgun under his jacket.

There is one fight in a restaurant where he just blazes away with all sorts of weapons.

Also he caps a demon with a 1911 IIRC in a creative way.

And Lorne, the green demon guy, uses a gun in one of the final scenes IIRC a GLOCK.

Joss no likey the guns but how do you do a western without 'em? He may not like horses either but would have to have them.

DigitalWarrior
July 11, 2006, 10:56 AM
Warning: Extreme dorkery to follow.

Joss had said that the reason he had them shooting all manner of weaponry was that he believed that in this situation only the rich/gov't would have advanced technology. He said he was inspired by the pirates who would have flintlock pistols, in spite of the fact that they were long obselete. These are guys who can't afford to buy a gorram catalyzer, which is a nothing part, but absolutely essential. They are not going to spend money on stuff they do not have to... Except Jayne, who has "Vera".

the naked prophet
July 11, 2006, 12:22 PM
And did anybody else see the resemblance between Zoe's gun and Steve McQueen's Mare's leg from "Wanted: Dead or Alive"? Or am I just the last one to figure that out...

I had read somewhere that it's actually the same prop. And Vera is the gun from some movie with William Shatner or something.

Justin
July 11, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'd beg to differ on that one. In virtually every Whedon interview I've ever read (and I think I've tracked down a healthy percentage of 'em) the man refuses to label his politics, but comes across as a sincere libertarian.

I recall reading an interview last year where Whedon stated that Mal is pretty obviously libertarian, and that he didn't agree with Mal's philosophy.

I could, of course, be misremembering, and would be thrilled if I am.

silliman89
July 11, 2006, 02:50 PM
They are not going to spend money on stuff they do not have to... Except Jayne, who has "Vera".

"7 men came to kill me. The best of 'em carried this. I call her Vera."

That's from memory, so it's prob not word for word accurate. The point is that Jayne didn't pay money for Vera. He took it off the body of the guy who tried to kill him.

statelineblues
July 11, 2006, 09:40 PM
I've never understood the Hollyweird concept of "I've just shot 5 guys with AK's using my little .38 - now I'll run past them and leave the heavy firepower behind......."

Remember, if at first you don't succeed, get more ammo - or a bigger gun.

Strings
July 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
honestly, I fail to see an anti slant to Buffy.... Yeah, she tells the one guy that guns don't work (remember that you're talking about magical beasties), and one of the main characters gets shot. Otherwise, I don't remember anything pro or anti...

Dr.Rob
July 12, 2006, 01:52 AM
yes but we WANT another Firefly thread.

neat old guns on the show all the time, including the Astra 400 'water pistol'.

Mortech
July 12, 2006, 04:09 AM
OK am I the only one 'lusting' after a gun like 'Vera' ????????

Warren
July 12, 2006, 04:25 AM
OK am I the only one 'lusting' after a gun like 'Vera' ????????

A Callahan Full-Bore Autolock?

No thanks, any weapon that needs to be surround by O2 to work is not going to be that reliable.

Kaylee
July 12, 2006, 07:39 AM
Vera was based around a Saiga 12 guage semi-auto, with lots of other parts bolted on. Originally used in an Eddie Murphy movie.

Zoe has a cut-down "Mare's Leg" 1892 Winchester. Yes, Joss has said it was directly inspired by "Dead or Alive"

And yeah.. that Joss can present a show that so many folks who prolly wouldn't agree with him on a gosh-darned thing past the color of the sky absolutely love, well.... I gotta respect the man. I don't think I could write a decent commie story. :)

mbs357
July 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
zomg it's Kaylee!!
<_<

DR
July 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
Kaylee,

Did anything ever come of your project to create a functional version of Mal's sidearm? It's such a neat looking firearm that it really ought to exist. :)

Kaylee
July 12, 2006, 07:28 PM
DR - I'm afraid it's on the "indefinately back-burnered" pile right now. Once I'm resettled again, if I make friends with some local machinists I might give it another go. The drawings I have are still around someplace.. if I recall correctly it took changing around some stuff to make it actually workable.

mbs -- different Kaylee (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1343816&postcount=38) :p

mmike87
July 12, 2006, 08:13 PM
I honestly believe that Firefly was one of the BEST television series, ever. Right up there with MASH. It had something for everyone - you didn't even have to like Sc-Fi to enjoy the show which was really a character drama that just happened to take place in the future on a spaceship with a hot hooker. :D

Who doesn't think Kaylee was just super-cute???

Women, action, guns, space ships, humor, a libertarian twist, interesting characters, solid acting - what's not to love?

Strings
July 13, 2006, 02:54 PM
>Women, action, guns, space ships, humor, a libertarian twist, interesting characters, solid acting - what's not to love?<

How about a REALLY short lifespan? :(

For those thinking they would bring Wash and Book back: I honestly don't see Wash ever returning. However, there's nothing to say Book didn't have a child, who could come looking for his long-lost daddy (which could help reveal the good Shepard's back story)...

Bart Noir
July 13, 2006, 03:02 PM
But the optics are for in-atmosphere only. That's what happens when you buy the less expensive brand. Oh, and Jayne kills you.

Bart Noir

buzz_knox
July 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
I did notice in the Battlestar Galactica pilot a Firefly class ship flying overhead. Occurs about 15 minutes into one of the episodes, I think the first.

If memory serves, it's when (future) President Laura Roslin is in her doctor's office, getting the bad news. A Firefly transport goes past the upper windows.

Silver Bullet
July 13, 2006, 08:57 PM
Mr. Knox, you have a good memory.

I found this site

http://www.poobala.com/battlestarandfirefly.html

a few days after I posted my comments.

mmike87
July 13, 2006, 09:25 PM
there's nothing to say Book didn't have a child, who could come looking for his long-lost daddy (which could help reveal the good Shepard's back story)...

Book did say "I never married" whenever someone called him "grandpa" - but you never know.

Silver Bullet
July 13, 2006, 09:30 PM
How about a nephew coming to look for his long-lost uncle ?

roo_ster
July 13, 2006, 09:42 PM
I was able to get two folks hooked on Firefly after y'all led me down the path of righteousness.

The first was easy. My neighbor is a s/f dork like me.

The second was the piece de resistance. My dad, who doesn't like s/f was staying up with me to O'Dark:30 to watch the series when he visited a few months back.

Oh, and I think a bi-monthly Firefly thread beats the heck outta beating 9mm vs .45 to death.

MechAg94
July 13, 2006, 10:04 PM
I got my Dad to watch it as well. Just had to show him one show and have him see the kill-the-SOB, Wild West attitude.

MechAg94
July 13, 2006, 10:11 PM
Don't forget, Firefly marathon on SFC tomorrow morning. I think it starts at 8 AM or some time in the morning.

Ian
July 13, 2006, 10:31 PM
If Firefly continues in any way with Joss Whedon involved, Book will be back. In Joss' other work (Angel and Buffy), dying simply cements a character's presence in the storyline for another season or two. :)

Warren
July 13, 2006, 11:16 PM
There ain't no magic in the 'verse.

Only way we see Book again is in flashbacks either of stuff that happened on Serenity that we did not see in the series or if the crew stumbles upon someone that knew Book and his past and that person told them.

Could be in the time it took to repair Serenity Mal and the Op had some conversations....may be that Mal now knows abit about Book.

statelineblues
July 13, 2006, 11:50 PM
And remember, flashback is a wonderful technique... since Ron Glass is still around, there could always be new stuff filmed and then inserted (like it has been done on NextGen).

Strings
July 14, 2006, 12:46 AM
yep... he says "I never married". Although you could imply "I never sired children", you can't say for sure. Heck... he may not even KNOW he sired children. And you can't assume contraceptives have become 100% effective...

DigitalWarrior
July 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
Plotline of a future episode arc to follow:

There are many people who believe that the Shepard was a retired operative. While this is an OK storyline, I think that there would be something much cooler. If you remember, when Book was shot, he went to an Alliance cruiser for aid. They looked at his card, and knew who he was, someone very important. Operatives do not have "VIP: operative" stamped on their IDs.

I think it would be neat if Book was a retired full bird colonel for the Alliance.

Mal is involved in some manner of nastiness, and is offloading his cargo, when the man who he is selling to punches Mal in the face without apparent justification. The man points to the interior of the ship where pictures of Wash and Book hang. The man says "what reason in the verse would you have for putting that butcher's picture on the wall?"

Book was not born with that name, but was Colonel Richard Wilkins. I will call him Book, for the sake of readability.

Cut to The battle of Serenity Valley. The rebels are holding that Gorram Valley, against all odds. The incompetent commander of the Alliance forces was overconfident, and failed to commit enough supply ships to battle, since they . It is looking bad for the Alliance, as they are running low on supplies, and will have to surrender.

Captain Book is a recognized strategic talent but is in another area, a low-intensity conflict, battling pirates and scumballs (no posse commitatus act). He has plenty of supplies, but no ships. He uses his military unit to siezes private property (all of the ships at a local space station or something). He then impresses (what we went to war with Britian for in 1812) the people on the space station. He forces them to combat load the supplies onto their own ships, forces the space station to fuel the ships, places guards on the ships, and has them deliver supplies to the planet Hera (where the battle of Serenity Valley took place). He does all of this without orders after hearing the reports on the Cortex classified feed.

In transit, he orders his ships techs to reconfigure the ships transponders to each report themselves as a battle cruisers. He reports what he has done to central command, with the expectation of being court-marshalled and thrown in the Brig. When he recieves the response to his message he finds that , in recognition of his initiative, he is to take command of the botched assault on Serenity Valley. When the Independants see there are a half dozen battle cruisers on their way, they issue the order to their people to lay down arms, and turn their air support around.

When Book arrives, he rallies the men, resupplies the drop ships, and has them perform the bombardment we see in the opening show. He rallies the men and performs a brilliant deep flank manuever.

After the sound pummeling, Book is furious that so many good men have been killed by rebellious backwater hicks. He issues the order to leave the people on the ground for more than a week. It allows him to destroy the evidence of his crimes, and it gives him the satisfaction of Starving and Bleeding out the murderous and intractable Independants. He was promoted to the rank of General. After he sees the footage of the valley after the week, he is horrified at his actions.

In the following year he becomes a sloppy drunk. By the grace of God, he sees what he has become, and decides to change. He changes his name, so that he is named after the bible, and then enters the abbey. He hopes to gain heaven through redemtion. When he leaves, he sees a ship named after his crime, and a cheerful girl in front of it. Intriguing.

One thing that particularly pains Book is Mal's lack of faith, since it was Book who robbed him of it.

buzz_knox
July 14, 2006, 01:09 PM
Oh, and I think a bi-monthly Firefly thread beats the heck outta beating 9mm vs .45 to death.

What would Mal say about that?

"Them what needs shooting need to be shot a lot. So, never you mind about the caliber. Just keep shooting till they don't need it no more.

Why are we still having this conversation?"

buzz_knox
July 14, 2006, 01:10 PM
Mr. Knox, you have a good memory.

When it come to sci fi and guns, yup.

Warren
July 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
Strings:

In OiS Book was clear that he had not had sex, then again as River passes by we get another glimpse into what he might be. But that glimpse does not square with his actions in the movie. If he was a deep Op after the Tams why would he shoot down the Fed fighter?

DW: That sounds interesting but might not be convoluted enough for a Mutant Enemy Productions plot.

buzz_knox
July 14, 2006, 02:22 PM
In OiS Book was clear that he had not had sex, then again as River passes by we get another glimpse into what he might be. But that glimpse does not square with his actions in the movie. If he was a deep Op after the Tams why would he shoot down the Fed fighter?

What if he wasn't an operative but something more important, say a minister without portfolio. Someone with nearly the same authority as a parliament member and the same information (i.e. he knows what River is), but without the high profile.

roo_ster
July 14, 2006, 03:30 PM
Let me geek on this...

What if he wasn't an operative but something more important, say a minister without portfolio. Someone with nearly the same authority as a parliament member and the same information (i.e. he knows what River is), but without the high profile.

I think Book was an operative or something similar, found Jesus, dropped off the map, went into the monastery, and then left to walk the universe, again.

AJAX22
July 14, 2006, 04:31 PM
I love firefly, I wish I'd seen it when it was live on tv.

although as I type this thread, reruns are running (the words 54 R sniper rifle were just uttered) in War Stories.

Mal's pistol has always bothered me, I don't know what its made from, and I haven't figured out how it works. all the pictures I can find are of low quality, and the few high quality ones don't look like they should work.

Jayne's pistol however looks like one I could fabricate with some extensive machining on a leMatt

zoom6zoom
July 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
Ajax, there are a few pictures of Mal's sidearm on this page, don't know if they are any better than what you have seen:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3l.html

Kaylee
July 14, 2006, 10:13 PM
1. For what it's worth, Book only says that his order requires a vow of chastity. He does not say at any point anything about his life prior to joining the order. So the "Book's kid" option is still wide open. :)

2. Buzz.. nicely said. I do believe you've channeled the good captain perfectly. :D
"anyone tries to kill you... "

3. Mal's pistol was custom-made. There's a snubby .38 Taurus 85 inside, with the grip frame lopped off and replaced, and all covered with brass castings. There's a thread or two around here on it somewhere. Jayne's was indeed built off a LeMat.

statelineblues
July 15, 2006, 01:25 AM
DigitalWarrior - Excellent story line!! The only twist I can see is why River never caught on; something like that would most likely have been picked up by her...but, it's Hollywood, and you can explain away anything (who out there remembers "Dallas" & Bobby Ewing?)

How about an episode that explains how Zoe and Wash got together? Although it would have worked better played out over several episodes, that's another storyline that could be explored.

Handgun Midas
July 15, 2006, 01:33 AM
One thing that has always bothered me about Firefly is how most of the guns make stupid motorized noises when they are readied. I mean, it's TV, so the guns have to click anytime they are touched, but is also the future so the clicks have to be replaced with electric motor sounds to demonstrate the progress of technology.

Also, the guns often make laser gun noises when fired. I can't watch the episode "Safe" anymore because the shootout looks "OK Corral" but sounds like "Star Wars."

Warren
July 15, 2006, 01:43 AM
True, I've asked before why professional gunmen would have weapons that make such anti-tactical sounds.

And you are right about Safe, that one scene is the most unwatchable of the whole Firefly canon.

TCB in TN
July 15, 2006, 02:26 AM
I usually love Scifi stuff, but until today had never watched firefly before. Got up this morning and turned on the tube, couldn't find anything interesting and happened to stop on Scifi and never got off the couch until 5 this evening. That is a great show! Now I got to go buy the movie, and all the DVDs, last thing I needed was to get hooked on some show, but I sure am.:D

Silver Bullet
July 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
Welcome aboard the Firefly transport Serenity !

You've got something to look forward to. I think the Sci-Fi Channel marathon only ran ten episodes. The DVD set has 14.

Dan M.
July 15, 2006, 04:37 PM
Here's a question: toward the end of the episode "Out Of Gas", when another crew is trying to hijack the crippled Serenity, and the captain of that ship has just shot Mal, Mal pulls out a 1911 type pistol that is in a holster tied to the side of a piece of equipment of some sort. Anybody recognize what kind of holster it is? Looks like a Blade Tech or Comp-Tac of some sort.

Warren
July 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
We have a hard enough time identifying the guns, now you want the make and model of a holster? What kind of sadist are you?

statelineblues
July 15, 2006, 11:26 PM
This shows how exciting my Saturday nights are....

The holster is a belt slide pancake style; brown leather; looks like it's molded for a Springfield XD or maybe a Sig. And it's not tied - it's duct-taped (wouldn't ya know duct tape stays around for 500 years...........!)
BTW, the "1911 type" pistol he pulls is a nickle plated Colt 1908 in .380 (if you look close enough, you can see the barrel is crowned - hence the .380)

Warren
July 17, 2006, 02:38 AM
I don't know why he let them on the ship. If it was me I would have said leave the part in the lock, go back to your side, I'll step out inspect the part and if it is to my liking I'll leave the cash. I'll then go back inside and you can come grab the money.

That would have been a more interesting way to film it. Mal still could have got shot when the scavengers tried to ambush him when he was in the lock. Mal retreats pulls down a much bigger gun and lights up the airlock causing the scum to retreat.

The way they did it made no sense. Mal pulls out that little gun on five or six guys and gets them to surrender? When he is wounded and all it would take is one burst from a sub-gun to end the fight?

Warren
July 17, 2006, 02:45 AM
I would hope that the next movie or season revolves around the fact that the Fed fleet in this quadrant has been near wiped out and the Alliance in general is weakened.

There would be a whole bunch of angry people is this quadrant. For ten years they have suffered at the hands and teeth of the Reavers with no help forthcoming from the Feds. Then they find out the Feds were the cause of the problem in the first place, AND the Feds charged with keeping them down have been crippled. Perfect time to launch a rebellion.

Serenity and her crew would find themselves with all manner of happy making, useful gigs then. And with not so much of the staying below the Fed radar.

Warren
July 17, 2006, 02:50 AM
One thing that bothered me about the movie was that no one noticed a planet of 30 million people disappearing from the trade nexus.

Given that Miranda was more of a core-looking place than a typical outer rim dust hole there must have been a lot of goods going out that way, yet it seems people just forgot about it.

Maybe I'm missing something. Was it a self-contained experiment? Still that is a lot of people who would have left freinds and relatives behind, would there not have been rumors or questions prior to River being cut on?

Silver Bullet
July 17, 2006, 09:19 AM
I don't know why he let them on the ship. If it was me I would have said leave the part in the lock, go back to your side, I'll step out inspect the part and if it is to my liking I'll leave the cash. I'll then go back inside and you can come grab the money.
Those terms would have been advantageous to Mal, requiring that the other ship's people do all the trusting. Mal wasn't in any position to dictate terms.

Mountaineer
July 17, 2006, 07:00 PM
And Serenity was by far the best. I had only seen a few reruns on the scifi channel. I was impressed by the movie, good plot using some hstory of the characters, great action and good special effects.

Hands of blue
July 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
One thing that bothered me about the movie was that no one noticed a planet of 30 million people disappearing from the trade nexus.

Given that Miranda was more of a core-looking place than a typical outer rim dust hole there must have been a lot of goods going out that way, yet it seems people just forgot about it.

Maybe I'm missing something. Was it a self-contained experiment? Still that is a lot of people who would have left freinds and relatives behind, would there not have been rumors or questions prior to River being cut on?

The Alliance said that there was a “terraforming incident” which explained why all the people died. Mal says something along the lines of terraforming did not hold some Settler died when they first found out that it was a plant River was talking about.

MidnightRambler
July 18, 2006, 01:00 AM
I'm guessing the Miranda experiment was secret to begin with.

I thought the Mr Universe thing was kind of silly, since he was never mentioned in the series.

Warren
July 18, 2006, 01:13 AM
If the central idea was to expose the Feds' guilt there had to be some powerful way to do that, hence Mr. Universe.

Warren
July 18, 2006, 01:29 AM
Those terms would have been advantageous to Mal, requiring that the other ship's people do all the trusting. Mal wasn't in any position to dictate terms.

They did not have to be so trusting. Their ship had power Mal's did not and they had the arms of their ship bracketing Serenity. they could have done all sorts of nasty to Mal had they been inclined.

mbs357
July 18, 2006, 07:37 PM
I think the reason none of them did anything was this.
Even though you're in a crowd of people and one guy has one gun pointed at you...there's still the thought that the one he shoots just MIGHT be you...
You really never know...so it's best to just play it safe.

Quaamik
July 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
Might have something to do with not trusting the company you keep as well.

If Mal even managed to wing one of them, scavangers and pirates always have to wonder if thier fellows might just decide to leave them behind / finish them off rather than go through the trouble and expense of patching them up.

Not a thought to inspire one to step forward into the breech ..........

statelineblues
July 22, 2006, 09:58 PM
I think the coffee mug I just got from one of the Firefly webstores says it all - "Everyday is a Negotiation and Sometimes It's Done With Guns"

beerslurpy
July 22, 2006, 11:43 PM
Firefly was choreographed by people who know nothing about guns. Remember that fight scene on the space station? How they all have rifles, but they choose to fight with pistols? I'm surprised they didnt all pull out knives so they would run faster.

Otherwise I liked the series.

Autolycus
July 28, 2006, 06:57 PM
I just became hooked on this show. They seriously need to bring it back. What kind of rifle was Jane sniping with when he killed the sniper (forgot the episode name) and took up their position?

stevekl
July 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
I always wondered what exactly "Full-Bore Autolock" means.

Silver Bullet
July 28, 2006, 10:08 PM
Their ship had power Mal's did not and they had the arms of their ship bracketing Serenity. they could have done all sorts of nasty to Mal had they been inclined.
How do you know ? They were just a salvage ship. If they could have, they would have: they were plenty willing to shoot Mal and steal his ship.

This is reality; they don't have photon torpedoes. :p

"Arms bracketing Serenity" ? Wasn't it just a connection between airlocks ?

Strings
July 28, 2006, 10:49 PM
>"Arms bracketing Serenity" ? Wasn't it just a connection between airlocks ?<

No... there was some part of the salvage ship on either side of Serenity. I took it as some for of "space-dock" incorporated into the salvage ship...

Silver Bullet
July 29, 2006, 01:46 AM
You're absolutely right. I went back and checked, and at 33:08 to 33:11 (three seconds) you have a great shot of the salvage ship "bracketing" Serenity. At 34:21 you can see the airlock extension coupling with Serenity.

I can't believe I never saw the "brackets" before; I've watched "Out of Gas" at least 30 times. :confused:

Strings
July 29, 2006, 03:18 AM
>I can't believe I never saw the "brackets" before; I've watched "Out of Gas" at least 30 times.<

Hey... it's not MY fault you're a Firefly lightweight! :neener:

TexasRifleman
July 29, 2006, 09:44 AM
OK, so now the movie has been out a while, the merchandise is in all the stores, the DVD flew off the shelves.

Did it make a profit?

Any rumor on a sequel at this point or will this be all we get?

Bruce333
July 29, 2006, 09:53 AM
I highly doubt we'll see a sequel. Whedon doesn't seem interested, and the movie didn't break even at the box office. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm DVD sales don't figure into the box office numbers.

Ian
July 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
What kind of rifle was Jane sniping with when he killed the sniper (forgot the episode name) and took up their position?

A Blaser R93 Tactical (http://www.snipercentral.com/blaser.htm), IIRC.

Edit: Yep, an R93 Tactical. You can see a screenshot from the episode (it was the pilot episode) here: http://still-flying.net/images/serenity/index.php?image=serenity562.jpg

Silver Bullet
August 1, 2006, 01:51 AM
Well, I'm getting tired of waiting for Amazon to sell the DVD set for $25 again. They've had it at that price twice; it's about $35 right now.

However ...

these folks have it for about $26:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD008929

Looking ahead to Christmas, of course !

Boom-stick
August 1, 2006, 05:01 AM
Out of the kindness in my heart and the love of my dear wife I got her a gift I knew she would treasure, Serenity DVD and the complete Firefly Boxset.

I'm a good husband :D

mcmoyer
August 1, 2006, 04:15 PM
Out of the kindness in my heart and the love of my dear wife I got her a gift I knew she would treasure, Serenity DVD and the complete Firefly Boxset.

I'm a good husband

What a guy!!

:D

Stickjockey
August 1, 2006, 04:43 PM
I always wondered what exactly "Full-Bore Autolock" means.

You know; matchlock, flintlock, caplock, autolock. :neener:

I have no idea either.

Warren
August 1, 2006, 04:53 PM
Probably a fancy way of saying "total case support with ultra-magnum rounds, so there is no worry of a Kb with this particular rifle; Mal."

Bart Noir
August 1, 2006, 04:54 PM
In the future, even on the frontier, our possesions will be more capable and smarter than they are now.

"Autolock"

The gun decides for itself whether you need semi or full auto. It has to factor in your shooting skills, the number of enemy nearby, whether the enemy is uber-brave or will duck below floor level at every shot, and all applicable local and state laws.

Bart Noir

mindwip
August 1, 2006, 07:04 PM
In the future, even on the frontier, our possesions will be more capable and smarter than they are now.

"Autolock"

It means its a smart gun, as in it can auto lock a target and help you aim, for those who play CS think of it as a aimbot. If you watch the ep with the "whores" that mal defends on the plant(sorry do not know the name of the ep, and that swhat they called them in the ep) I belive the rich evil guy has a laser pistol that has the auto lock feature too, if i remeber rightly so.

Fullbore means the whole bore moves when the Auto lock is locking on.

Hands of blue
August 1, 2006, 08:11 PM
Heart of Gold is the episode

Razor
August 1, 2006, 10:32 PM
Speaking of "Heart of Gold", did anyone ever figure out all the different firearms used in that episode?

Dave R
August 1, 2006, 11:05 PM
ALL of them? Sheeesh.

Well, one was a fairly stock Winchester levergun...

Stickjockey
August 1, 2006, 11:05 PM
Lots of Marlin leverguns, thats fer sure.

Silver Bullet
August 2, 2006, 10:13 PM
Serenity is on Cinemax tomorrow. Maybe that will stir up some additional interest.

XD Fan
August 4, 2006, 03:07 AM

I can one-up this! I got my wife the boxed set of Firefly for a graduation gift (her Masters Degree). I thought maybe I had not done enough to recoganize the occasion, but she was estatic! Okay I acutally did do a couple of other, somewhat more expensive things, but Firefly was far and away her favorite.

What a wife! Oddly enough, she didn't let me take back the other more expensive gifts when I realized she was excessively happy with the DVDs. I do not understand; I could have bought more guns! Sheesh!

the naked prophet
August 4, 2006, 01:03 PM
We only get one TV channel in my town, and cable is just a waste of money, so... we just watch Firefly over and over and over...

Silver Bullet
August 8, 2006, 10:51 AM
I hope I can post this without the thread getting locked. :eek:

Amazon is selling the Firefly DVD set for $25 again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQS0F/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/002-4496290-0388826?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

They've done this at least twice in the past, but only for a week or two or three before it returned to $35.

hankdatank1362
August 9, 2006, 11:17 PM
Ummmmmmmmmm.....

What the Hell is FIREFLY? I'm very upset that I've missed out on something apparently so cool for so long.:mad: Anybody clue me in on what this show is all about? At first, I thought it was like some old version of FIREPOWER TV, but now it sounds like anime or something like that to me.

Strings
August 9, 2006, 11:21 PM
It was a sci-fi show (live action) created by joss Whedon (same guy that did Buffy... and Angel). VERY libertarian in outlook, and with Whedon's usual great character work...

statelineblues
August 9, 2006, 11:41 PM
"Firefly" was a Sci-Fi TV show that was on a couple of years ago, created by Joss Whedon, who was also the creator of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" movie and TV show. The plot is basically about the crew of a small cargo spaceship named 'Serenity' (known as a "Firefly" type ship) and the adventures they have travelling around a distant galaxy about 500 years in the future. The show was given an "old west" feel to it - hence lots of guns and action. Unfortunately, it only lasted one season - 13 episodes, of which ten were broadcast. Joss also wrote and produced the full length movie "Serenity" using the same basic plot and characters.
If you are into sci-fi, it is well worth it to watch - this is one of those shows that was never given a chance to grow and see how good it really was. Rent the TV DVDs (it is also one of those shows you have to watch from the beginning, first episode, to really understand what's going on. Then rent the movie. It kinda goes in that order.

cnyankee
August 10, 2006, 12:23 AM
it was a shame that it didnt have a longer run. it was a great show..tivo it everytime it comes on and i had the box set but daughters stupid friends stole it.

Razor
August 10, 2006, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately, it only lasted one season - 13 episodes, of which ten were broadcast.

Not to be picky, but there were 14 episodes, 11 of which were broadcast during the original F*X run. Which was actually only half of a season.

:banghead:

statelineblues
August 17, 2006, 02:30 PM
Now, back to the show...

who can ID the pistol River is holding? ("War Stories")....

Sorry - can't seem to be able to post the pix...go back to Ian's post and use the "Still-Flying .net" link to "War Stories", pictures, page 9; image is at the bottom of the page!

buzz_knox
August 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
It's a customized Star Firestar. Probably a 9mm with a muzzleweight.

Silver Bullet
August 23, 2006, 10:53 PM
A model of Serenity is now available.

Pictures:
http://www.serenitystuff.com/2006/08/19/the-serenity-ornament-is-shiny/

Store:
http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Serenity-Ornament___217120?qt=ssda

Carl N. Brown
August 24, 2006, 04:24 PM
Rewatched "heart of Gold" Gee, my Marlin 336 is weapon
of choice of unregistered companions. I am not sure how
I should feel about that.

Tsonda
August 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
Serenity is on at my house right now, of course it pretty much is that or Firefly.

James

jason10mm
August 25, 2006, 09:37 AM
Also, just to clarify for the newbies, "Serenity" is the continuation of the series "Firefly". Supposedly it is the compressed plot for what would have been season 2. You don't HAVE to see "Firefly" before "Serenity", but I would highly recommend doing so.

I showed my wife the pilot episode of Firefly on friday evening, by sunday we have watched the entire set!

I'm planning on getting a HD-DVD player just so I can get Serenity on HD DVD.

Oh, I forgot, there is a three issue comic that sorta "bridges" the series and the movie. The collected trade edition can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593074492/sr=8-2/qid=1156512807/ref=sr_1_2/102-4642875-3601749?ie=UTF8

It has been mentioned before, but I always enjoyed the Starship Troopers gear they had to recycle for "Train Job". That is some of the sharpest "future gear" I've seen, though Aliens still wins (BMX gear, yeah! :P

Also, with regards towards Joss's anti-gun leanings, there was an episode of Buffy where she started crime-fighting for profit. At one point she had foiled an armed robbery and had the gun in her hands. She reacted with disgust and dropped the pistol, which OF COURSE discharged upon hitting the ground :( Naturally the disgust with guns may have come from the writer or be a character trait of Buffy, a life long **********n, but including the gun going off on the ground really just throws it over the top.

bdutton
August 25, 2006, 10:29 AM
Firefly/Serenity rocks! Watched 'Our Mrs Reynolds' last night for about the 8th time. This show never seems to get old!

MarkDido
August 25, 2006, 05:55 PM
I've never been a big sci-fi buff, but I thought Firefly / Serenity was great. I think the SciFi channel ran them all back to back one day, so I Tivo'ed them.

Also now a big fan of Farscape, and looking at Gigi Edgely (Chiana) sure doesn't hurt.

Unfortunately, also short lived (I believe 5 seasons)

The lead in Farscape (John Crichton) is now a member of Stargate SG-1, which I really haven't gotten into yet, but probably will because of Crichton.

sixgunner455
August 26, 2006, 03:14 AM
Don't look now, but there's a Firefly alum on SG-1.

Kaylee
August 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
so... about the guns of Firefly....

(hint hint)

:)

-K

Silver Bullet
August 26, 2006, 12:38 PM
For those asking about Zoe's "mare's leg", here's an informative reference:

http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/ZoesCarbine

(staying on the good side of Kaylee ... :) )

seeker_two
August 26, 2006, 04:06 PM
Don't look now, but there's a Firefly alum on SG-1.

so... about the guns of Firefly....

(hint hint)

I thought it was on-topic.... ;)

j/k

So, what was the artillery piece that Mal had mounted on Serenity in the movie?.... :cool:

FSCJedi
August 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
I would so totally buy a functional version of Mal's pistol! In a heartbeat (wallet permitting)! I'd put it right next to my functional DL-44 (Han Solo's blaster pistol) that I plan on having made sometime in the future. Kaylee, please keep us informed about your endeavor to make a functional one!

ScorpioVI
September 3, 2006, 03:29 AM
Firefly fans...

... have you guys ever heard of game called Pardus (http://www.pardus.at)? It's a free, web-based, massively-multiplayer space-based game. If you can read this post, you can play this game. The game is fairly open-ended, you can do whatever you want within. Trader, fighter, mercenary, pirate? Which will you be?

The reason I'm posting here is because the Blue Sun Corporation of the Pardus 'verse is always in need of quality recruits, and I can't think of a finer bunch of ruebens to recruit from than THR. To date the Blue Sun Corporation (led by yours truly) boasts 36 members. All Firefly fans, and most of the gun & knife persuasion. A few military and LE folks in the ranks since I've done most of my recruiting from USN. Basically we play the role of the Blue Sun Corporation from the Firefly series, before they went bad. Two by two... hands of blue.

http://www.thebluesuncorporation.com
http://www.tacticalpursuits.com/images/misc/bluehandsunlogo.jpg

To start just log on to http://www.pardus.at and create an account. You'll have to finish up the tutorial and pick a race (http://www.pardus.at/index.php?section=manual201). I recommend Keldon because they have a bonus on the hardest skill to develop (cloaking) but it's up to you. Afterwards it's a matter of making your way to our sectors, using up 50,000AP (action points) and earning 1000XP (experience points) and then you can join BSC. Check us out under your Diplomacy > Alliances overview (#89 Blue Sun Corporation).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or in Pardus (also ScorpioVI in there). Looking forward to playing with you guys!

http://www.tacticalpursuits.com/images/misc/bluesuncollage.jpg

Silver Bullet
September 24, 2006, 01:59 PM
I was watching sports news on tv yesterday, and they happened to show some players on the sidelines whose helmets indicated their team name was Beavers (probably Oregon State).

However, the player in front had his helmet strap moved up to the top of his helmet, partially blocking the 'B', and it looked like Reavers.

I thought, cool, some school named their team after the Reavers ! :D

artech
September 26, 2006, 11:18 AM
How the heck did I miss this thread so many times? Firefly rocks!:D

So, I was looking on the auction sites for a 'Lassiter' and can't seem to find a functional one anywhere, can someone with a C&R help out?;) Hey, that's gun related!

What I want to know is what all Jayne had behind his bunk. There was a whole mess of stuff in there. Any thoughts?

Skibane
September 27, 2006, 01:08 AM
artech, if you've got the stomach to gaze upon whatever's hiding behind Jayne's bunk, you're a better man than I! Honestly, some questions are better left unanswered...

BTW, Summer Glau (River Tam) made her debut on CBS-TV's THE UNIT earlier tonight. She plays the girlfriend of a new Delta Force member, and was cute as a bug (as usual).

Panthera Tigris
September 27, 2006, 01:50 AM
I saw Summer on The Unit tonight. TU and NCIS are two of my faves.

Firefly was the ultimate however.

ScorpioVI
October 3, 2006, 06:34 PM
I've been watching Standoff on Fox where Gina Torres plays the hostage negotiator leader. Pretty much the same role as Zoe, deadpan and a very dry sense of humor.

Razor
October 3, 2006, 09:11 PM
Has anyone gotten or seen the recently released Firefly: The Official Companion book? It's supposed to have an article or two about the weapons they've used. (see? guns related!) :)

Is it worth going through the trouble of special ordering it?

ScorpioVI
October 3, 2006, 09:47 PM
Bought it, have it, love it. Posted about it in the other thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=86039

Well worth it for the closeups and details on the guns and knives alone. Cast interviews and scripts were nice on top of that. Can't wait for Volume II next year.

Panthera Tigris
October 3, 2006, 10:56 PM
I like Standoff also, primarily because of Torres. I have stopped watching Stargate SG1 though. I think it has run its course. The aliens they're dreaming up now to me are just getting silly and tired.

Or, more likely, I liked SG1 and that kind of stuff until Firefly spoiled me. The other one I really loved that ended way too soon was Jeremiah on Showtime.

Nowadays I content myself with shotgun shooting, the aforementioned programs and Animal Planet stuff.

ScorpioVI
October 4, 2006, 07:10 AM
The other one I really loved that ended way too soon was Jeremiah on Showtime.

I was digging Jeremiah too (strangely enough a good chunk of the cast in that show ended up on Battlestar Gallactica).

You might want to check out Jericho (Mondays on CBS). Covers the aftermath of a nuclear attack on the US and what survivors of Smalltown USA have to do. Looks promising, and just on it's second episode.

Panthera Tigris
October 5, 2006, 01:58 AM
I've been watching Jericho too. So far I like it.

statelineblues
December 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
Sci - Fi channel is having another "Firefly" marathon today - it's about half over, but hey - they're all good!

arthurcw
December 12, 2006, 01:55 PM
thanks for the tip.

Manedwolf
December 12, 2006, 01:58 PM
Universal HD regularly runs Firefly in HD, now. And wow, does it look nice.

Carl N. Brown
January 4, 2007, 04:54 PM
I am currently living without cable and find myself
goin back to my Firefly/Serenity DVDs out of dozens
of DVDs and hundreds of VHSs.

So another Firefly thread cannot hurt.

Silver Bullet
March 8, 2007, 02:25 AM
I just gave away my ninth Firefly DVD set.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd judge the reactions to the show as 4, 4, 5, 2, 5, 4, 3 (no feedback from #8 or #9). My daughter said she put off watching the last episode because she couldn't bear the thought of it all ending. That's my little Browncoat !

I'll feel vindicated if one of my recipients buys sets to give away (hoping that the gifts start to spread exponentially). Actually, I think one fellow bought a set for his son, so maybe there's hope for a sequel or ... in a perfect world ... another six seasons of the tv series !

Cybrludite
March 9, 2007, 04:37 AM
In a little over a month the Bedlam Bards will be performing in Baton Rouge, and a sizable chunk of Browncoats from south Louisiana will be going to hear them. Should be quite the shindig...

ScorpioVI
March 28, 2007, 06:27 PM
I've lost track of the # of sets I've "given away" (some of them were just downright stolen from me!!!) LOL! Last Christmas Target had the DVD sets for $19.99. That's all I was giving out for Christmas.

MarkDido
March 29, 2007, 08:00 AM
Not Firefly, but SCIFI is running Farscape - The Peacekeeper Wars on Monday 4/2 (at least here in Orlando anyway!)

TrybalRage
March 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
A month or two ago I rented the DVD set, then the movie.

I felt cheated that the whole thing had to be wrapped up in a movie, there was SO much story/character development that could have been explored.

I hate FOX.

Glockman17366
March 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
For those of you who liked the hat Jayne wore in a few episodes, here it is:

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092421&cp=2069836.2064999.2075097&parentPage=family

This hat has been around a lot longer then the series. Filson makes really high quality stuff. For those of you who are city dwellers or not hunters, this hat looks kind of geeky. However, once you wear it on a cold, damp or snowy day, you'll forget about any geeky comments you may get. I wear mine on any Winter day which I'll be outside for more then a short time. But I bought it because I saw it on Firefly.

"Firefly" was a dynamite show. I bought the movie and the series DVD's. Unfortunately, Amazon had a lot of the series DVD's that wouldn't play (I had two in a row) so if you buy the series DVD's, make sure they play beyond the menu.

Another very cool series that got better as it went along was "Babylon 5".

M60
March 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
Another Brown Coat Checkin' in.

Best show that has ever graced my TV.

Mark.

D.S. Ambrose
June 10, 2007, 12:38 AM
Wanna see Serenity in the theaters? You can, this month (select venues only).

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/

Pass the link around, this is so cool, get your tix now.

Carl N. Brown
August 25, 2007, 10:09 PM
too good a series/movie to leave dormant

Anyone else notice the M1A1 carbines rack-mounted
on the rear of the hovercraft at the beginning of the movie?

I guess out on the rim, they used stuff they could
reproduce with primitive technology.

FSCJedi
August 26, 2007, 02:34 AM
Kaylee, any forwarding on the production of a functional Mal pistol? I wasn't joking about buying a real one. :cool: One just hopes it would be accurate and reliable. :D

nwilliams
August 26, 2007, 02:51 AM
Wow!

Didn't realize this show had such a following on here!

Anyone pick up the new Serenity Collectors Edition that just came out recently?

http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Collectors-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B000Q9IZ5C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5162045-2370833?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1188110665&sr=1-1

I'll probably pick it up this week if I get the chance.

Warren
August 26, 2007, 02:59 AM
Have it but have not watched it yet.

FSCJedi
August 26, 2007, 02:59 AM
Yep, sure did. I already own Serenity, but I'm stationed in South Korea currently, so I bought the collector's edition to send to my sister and brother-in-law back home along with another copy of the series. Hopefully we'll have a few more Browncoats in the future.

Bazooka Joe71
August 26, 2007, 03:06 AM
Wow, 8 pages on Firefly and I have never even heard of this show.:confused:

Guess I'll have to check it out.

Quiet
August 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
Wow, 8 pages on Firefly and I have never even heard of this show.

Guess I'll have to check it out.

You won't be disappointed. :D

It's a shame FOX cancelled the series before it could really take off. But, they were out to kill it before they started airing the episodes due to sometype of beef between the show's creator (Joss Whedon) and some execs at FOX.

alucard0822
August 26, 2007, 02:39 PM
Another browncoat checking in, I was always curious what the Buhnder was, must have been chambered in 45gap:neener:

wolf_from_wv
August 26, 2007, 03:23 PM
The Overdue Media library comic strip started a series on 8/20:

http://www.unshelved.com/archive.aspx?strip=20070820

Jack Straw from Wichita
August 26, 2007, 03:32 PM
Anyone else notice the M1A1 carbines rack-mounted
on the rear of the hovercraft at the beginning of the movie?

I hadn't noticed them before, so I popped in the DVD after reading your post. Sure enough, two M1A1s sitting there, plain as day. Don't know how that escaped my attention.

Of course, I told myself I was only going to watch that scene to check out the carbines and wound up playing the whole movie, much to my wife's annoyance . . .

-Jack

Razor
August 27, 2007, 07:31 PM
Wow, 8 pages on Firefly and I have never even heard of this show.

Ha! Do a search here, this thread is one of the smaller ones on Firefly...

Check it out! You won't be disappointed! :D

hrgrisso
August 27, 2007, 07:58 PM
Just checking in. Didn't know about the Collectors Edition but now my CC is charged... Thanks all! :neener:

MIL-DOT
August 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
i was turned on to this show by freinds that stumbled onto it down in honduras !! i thought it was kinda stupid,and wouldn't stop cracking jokes,but by the end of episode one, i told them," OK,i get it,that was pretty cool". a week or so later,when the last episode ended, i went into WITHDRAWL !! no kidding. back stateside, i bought it from amazon for $29, and forced my brother to watch it, but it wasn't till the final episode (jubal early,the bounty hunter) that he was really hooked, but the movie "serenity" just blew him away.
oh yeah, them were some cool GUNS,too !!:D

Landlocked Pirate
August 27, 2007, 09:15 PM
MIL-DOT
I see you're from the great and sovreign State of Georgia C.S.A. same as me. Thought you'd be interested that in some of the commentary that's included with the DVD set the show's creator says that the Browncoats are kind of analgous to the Confederate South, fighting for a noble but lost cause against an overwhelming Big Government force. That just makes a great show all the better! And have you noticed that Mal says "Y'ALL"?

Hugo
August 28, 2007, 12:39 AM
Give the new Battlestar Galactica a try! Eclectic guns galore and a "Never Give up!" attitude. Olmos is awesome and very like Lt. Castillo as a very badass Adama. Plus some of the cylons are Fraking gorgeous women now!

Plus this 4th season is sadly the last one where they finally get to find Earth! Hope the culture shock is deep yet funny. I'm hoping they land in Las Vegas for shore leave.... :D I hope to see Starbuck playing Poker and enjoying the free "Ambrosia" and cigars.

Chem Geek
August 28, 2007, 01:18 AM
Well I hold a very special place in my heart for Firefly / Serenity, one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi shows. I thoroughly enjoy the new Battlestar Galatica as well.

I'm geeking out big time this weekend and going to Atlanta for Dragon*Con the east coasts biggest Sci-Fi convention. It was great last year, met Alan Tudyk and Summer Glau, both extremely nice and very funny in person. Yep, I'm a super geek. :neener:

Some of my favorite quotes:
"Keep it clean, you've only got to scare him." "Pain is scary."

"Well my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle."

"I call her Vera."

"You know, I've saved lives. Dozens. Maybe hundreds. I reattached a girl's leg. Her whole leg. She named her hamster after me. I got a hamster. He drops a box of money, he gets a town."

Jayne: 'Cause I don't know these folks. Don't much care to.
Mal: They're whores.
Jayne: I'm in.

Jayne: Oh, my John Thomas is gonna pop off and fly around the room, there's so much tasty here.
Wash: Would be you get your most poetical about your pecker.

Silver Bullet
August 28, 2007, 01:20 AM
Give the new Battlestar Galactica a try!
Oh, yeah, Battlestar's great ! I give it a 8 on a scale of 10

I give Firefly an 11.

Warren
August 28, 2007, 07:36 AM
Non-shiny Cylons is not shiny.

MIL-DOT
August 28, 2007, 10:32 AM
hey BALROG54....no, we haven't checked out any of the extra stuff on the dvd's, just the episodes themselves, but we'll definately get around to it. like a complete geek half my age, i just googled "blue sun t-shirts" and ordered me up one ! i'm supposed to be heading way down south again soon to work with the friends that turned me on to "firefly", they're gonna spaz when they see it. " WHAT? WHERE THE HELL"D YOU GET THAT? WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING US ONE ? AAAHHHH !! " something like that !

Landlocked Pirate
August 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
Mil-Dot
Makes me feel like giving a big REBEL YELL!!!

ScorpioVI
August 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
TRRRAAAAPPPPP!!!!

LOL, you guys check out the new extras in the Collector's Edition? The footage of Summer Glau training for her fight scene is freaking cool. That girl's got talent!

Robert
August 29, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'll be in my bunk.

JackCrow
August 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
Wow, I also didn't know about the Collector's Edition, I'll be picking that up tis weekend for sure!

Landlocked Pirate
August 29, 2007, 09:54 PM
I already had the movie (Serenity) but then the Collector's Edition came out and I had to buy it, too, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. From the reviews I've read it's supposed to be worth double dipping.

SaMx
August 29, 2007, 10:02 PM
The show is great. Much better than the movie IMO. I don't have the collectors edition but I do have the dvd. The extras section is awesome. Jayne's song is hilarious.

NCLivingBrit
August 30, 2007, 11:07 AM
Another Firefly nut here :)

Horrible story: I won the cunning hat at 2006's Raleigh "Serenity Now" event, had it stowed neatly away in the cupboard and my wife went and threw it out when we moved.

I miss that cunning hat.

Warren
August 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'm partway through the cast commentary and it is just OK. Too many people involved I think.

I would have liked Nathan and Alan to do a commentary. In the commentaries for the series theirs for "War Stories" was the absolute best.

Stevie-Ray
August 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
I had never heard of the show until Serenity came out, and it looked so good I bought it blind. Not disappointed in the least and will now probably buy the boxed set of Firefly.

Sawyer
October 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
many sites are now quoting Alan Tyduk's recent comment that he believes a sequel to Serenity is coming.

FSCJedi
October 6, 2007, 02:48 AM
I read that too, Sawyer. I certainly hope so!

Warren
October 6, 2007, 03:53 AM
Really?

Whedon can get a Serenty sequel made but not a Spike movie? Seems odd.

I though the Buffy/Angel series had a much bigger if not as vocal fanbase than did Firefly.

FSCJedi
October 6, 2007, 04:03 AM
Really?

Whedon can get a Serenty sequel made but not a Spike movie? Seems odd.

I though the Buffy/Angel series had a much bigger if not as vocal fanbase than did Firefly.
Nah, when it boils down to it, the majority of the Buffy/Angel fanbase is nothing but a bunch of emo kids. They enjoy watching the shows, but it's too much of a hassle to fight for a movie.

Firefly has the Browncoat movement, and we've already beaten the system twice, so that makes us mighty.

Warren
October 6, 2007, 04:06 AM
I'll be very happy to see it happen. Even though two of my top thirteen favorite characters will not have major roles.

Strings
October 6, 2007, 04:36 AM
>the majority of the Buffy/Angel fanbase is nothing but a bunch of emo kids. They enjoy watching the shows, but it's too much of a hassle to fight for a movie<

Ummm... not quite...

It was my understanding that Buffy was supposed to end at Season 5 (when she dies at the end). The fans clamored for more, and got 2 more seasons out of Joss...

Really, Buffy and Angel are just about as interesting (for Spoon and I) as Firefly. Joss makes REALLY good characters, and gets the right talent to portray them. While Buffy and Angel were VERY over the top with fantasy elements, they were remarkably consistant realities. And there was an amazing amount of character growth through the run of both shows...

I think that's what irks me about Firefly's cancellation: I knew right from the begining that there would be interesting character development, and Fox kept that from happening... :(

statelineblues
October 6, 2007, 08:12 AM
many sites are now quoting Alan Tyduk's recent comment that he believes a sequel to Serenity is coming.

Heard this from my daughter (a big Buffy & Firefly fan) - but still no confirmation from Joss.

Sawyer
October 6, 2007, 09:24 AM
Joss is co-writing and overseeing Angel comics for IDW, (as he did for the Dark Horse Buffy season 8 comics), so we'll finally find out what happened after the last stand in the alley.

D.S. Ambrose
October 6, 2007, 08:51 PM
Joss Whedon said that any Serenity sequel likely hinges in part on how well the Collector' Edition DVD sells (which if you check amazon.com sales ranks, is doing pretty well sitting at #98 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd/ref=pd_dp_ts_d_1/103-1582541-2190240).

Warren
October 6, 2007, 10:31 PM
Of course it could all just be a cynical plot to sell more Serenity DVDs.

Here is the relevant quote from Alan Tudyk

"They had to put [the new DVD] out because they've been selling out of the other one and so Universal's like 'So, let's do another one’. And now… there's now a chance there's going to be another movie."

"Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another."

furyalecto
October 7, 2007, 12:07 AM
I really hope is not a plot & another movie is within the realm of possibility.

I remember rumors that the box-office of the movie was the performance point on which Joss' hopes were pinned. It did not make the requisite numbers & his hopes were dashed (per rumor at the time.)

Warren
October 7, 2007, 01:52 AM
I wonder if it Serenity did make a big enough profit after all.

Many of us paid to see the moie multiple times and purchased the first DVD and the second DVD set.

That has go to have added up to something.

See this site http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=Serenity.htm

The movie cost 39 mil +10 mil in ads and made 38 mil in the theaters here and abroad so it came in a little shy there but sales and rentals of the first DVD as of FEb last year 2 mil x 14.99 + 9 mil in rentals = 39 mil (http://www.fireflyfans.net/showblog.asp?b=3444) and that pushed the movie into the black by about 28 mil minus whatever the retailers got from the sales and rentals. So call it 50-50 and drop the studio's take to 20 mil for the sales and rentals and you get a total of 59 mil on a 50 mil investment.

That is a hair under a 20% ROI, now add in the take (which I cannot find for some reason) for the second DVD set and the take might be as high as 25% to 30%.

You would be hard pressed to find an investor unwilling to try for a 25% to 30% profit on something.

Not every movie has to hit 100% returns or better. We get jaded by the news of the current blockbuster hit that takes in a huge haul forgetting that most movies never do that. They don't hit home runs, they just hit bloop singles or a gapper double and the studios are happy and they keep funding movies like that.

So optomistic I am.

Ian
October 7, 2007, 07:14 AM
"Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another."

Having your character die in a Joss Whedon show guarantees that you'll have at least two more seasons of work. :)

Don Gwinn
October 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
Can't wait.

I might give my wife the Collector's Edition of Serenity for her birthday. :)

Carl N. Brown
October 9, 2007, 12:17 PM
OK, is the rumor about a sequel or a prequel?

Sawyer
October 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure there isn't even a script yet, also after the rumor came out, someone at a convention asked Morena Baccarin (Inara) if anyone contacted her with any news about a sequel, she said no.
also, now that I think about it, they're all busy and under contract with new projects, there would be a quite a bit of difficulty rounding them all up again:
Nathan Fillion - Desperate Housewives
Adam Baldwin - Chuck
Morena and Jewel are in Stargate Atlantis
Summer Glau is a Terminator in the Sarah Connor Chronicles
Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk have movie careers - Gina was in a recent Chris Rock movie, Alan in 3:10 to Yuma

Strings
October 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
All that means is, it would take some time to set things up. If the interest is there to make a sequel, the actors will somehow find the time...

SaMx
October 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
A new movie would be good news. Even better would be a show on the sci-fi network, but I think Fox still has the TV rights.

statelineblues
May 16, 2008, 12:37 PM
OK, bringing this one back from the 'verse, but for all you browncoats there's a FIREFLY marathon on SciFi right now....:D

Lew
May 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
Damn, wish I had a television. And cable. And free time.

This is a good reminder that I need to buy the box set.

SuperNaut
May 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
http://images.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazoyX0YuanBnfGxvYWQ9TDAsaHR0cDovL2ltYWdlcy5jYWZlcHJlc3MuY29tL2ltYWdlLzk5Mjg2OTJfNDAweDQwMC5qcGd8fHNjYWxlPUwwLDE3MCwxNDgsV2hpdGV8Y29tcG9zZT1ibGFuayxMMCxBZGQsMTU1LDEyNXxjcD1yZXN1bHQsYmxhbmt8c2NhbGU9cmVzdWx0LDAsNDgwLFdoaXRlfGNvbXByZXNzaW9uPTk1fA==

MarkDido
May 16, 2008, 02:36 PM
Damn!

Missed all but the last one (the "Jayne - Big Damn Hero" one)

csmkersh
May 16, 2008, 02:50 PM
Buy the Firefly box set if you can. It's got 2 programs that never aired. Have that and Serinity in my DVD library.

MakAttak
May 16, 2008, 04:06 PM
"also, I can kill you with my brain"

My fiancee (who is not a sci-fi fan in the least) will randomly say that to me.

Who needs a gun if you've got River? (I don't so I will cling to my guns, thank you)

MIL-DOT
May 16, 2008, 04:15 PM
We watched "Serenity" again recently, i'd forgotten how many great lines ( and GUNS, i said GUNS !! ) were in that movie. A favorite ...
" are you willing to die for it?"
" yeah...........of course,that ain't plan A ".

Apple a Day
May 16, 2008, 04:15 PM
I just watched part of Serenity on DVD and noticed that there were a pair of M-1 carbines on the back of the mule in a rack when they did the security company vault heist in the beginning. Mal was sitting right over them, leaning back firing at the Reaver vehicle and never reached for them. Dadgum waste of firepower, him with that little single-action with those carbines in easy reach.
<shrug> you notice something new every time you watch it.

PTK
May 16, 2008, 04:30 PM
Saw it for the first time today, started either 6AM or 7AM. Good day to be home!

Pretty interesting show, but... silly. In a good way. :)

Bendutro
May 16, 2008, 04:37 PM
Firefly, Arrested Development and Futurama.

Three reasons to tell the mouth-breathing Fox executives that they don't know a good show when they air it.

mindwip
May 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
quick question i see the deluxe version says it has never before seen footage, does that mean its in the movie (which makes it a longer run time)or scenes that are not in the movie.

Thanks

csmkersh
May 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
Delux version of what? Firefly or Serinity? Both have material that wasn't shown on TV or the theaters.

Rustynuts
May 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
OK, I liked Firefly when it was on, but what does the Blue Sun shirts have to do with the show? Sorry, guess I'm not a fanboy!

Atla
May 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
Theres a lot of 'Blue Sun' advertising in the background.

Joss had a plan to use them in one of the seasons, sort of like a huge congolmerate. (Think of Coca-Cola, Enron, and Microsoft combined)

mindwip
May 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
Delux version of the movie, i was referring back to the guy before me sorry for not making that clear!

seeker_two
May 16, 2008, 09:52 PM
Firefly, Arrested Development and Futurama.

Three reasons to tell the mouth-breathing Fox executives that they don't know a good show when they air it.

Don't forget Space: Above and Beyond and Profit..... :cuss:

freebird60
May 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
space: above and beyond. I loved that show, ended with a cliff hanger:fire:

PTK
May 17, 2008, 08:26 PM
Is "Vera" a dressed up Saiga-12? I can't quite tell...

Also, FINALLY a show without sound in space. I'm liking this.

If you enjoyed reading about "I know we don't need another Firefly thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!