Firearms tracking device urged

PDA

fjolnirsson
January 13, 2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/01/12/firearms_tracking_device_urged/
Councilor Rob Consalvo wants to put a tracking device into newly manufactured guns and have legal gun owners retrofit their firearms so owners and police can locate and retrieve stolen guns the same way police use a computer chip to locate stolen cars.

''Let's use that same technology to track weapons so we know where they are when they're stolen or bought illegally," he said. ''I think it's a common-sense idea."

How 'bout we put tracking devices on politicians?
Mmmmkay?

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearms tracking device urged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
January 13, 2006, 05:57 PM
Drop an RFID chip in a bottle of 20 year old Scotch for Senator Kennedy, in case he goes off a bridge in the rain again....

engineer151515
January 13, 2006, 06:26 PM
Lets hope they put the chip in the removable portion of the hand grip.

:)

Johnny_Yuma
January 13, 2006, 07:03 PM
"It's a common-sense idea" always seem to translate as "This is an unwarranted abridgement of your rights"

migoi
January 13, 2006, 07:08 PM
In order for this to function it would need a GPS receiver AND some type of transmitting device such as cell phone technology. The GPS receiver would be able to pinpoint the location of the gun but it would still need to have some device to transmit those coordinates to someone who cares.

Both of these devices run on batteries. Where in the world would you find the room on a handgun to put these devices? Not to mention the fact that both GPS and cell phone signals can be stopped using a couple of layers of tinfoil.

migoi

dolanp
January 13, 2006, 07:15 PM
Did someone forget to remind madam politician that those car theft tracking systems are optional equipment installed by the owners?

Alex45ACP
January 13, 2006, 07:19 PM
From a purely practical viewpoint, without even getting into what a serious human rights violation this would be, there's no way that would work in real life.

Lucky
January 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
Where I am there are laws so that even if you don't harm people yourself, if you motivate or espouse others to do it, you are committing a crime. I sort of think they should add politics to the list of hate crimes.

Then you could send people to trial and prison when they suggested neo-fascist acts of hatred and abuse against lawful populations, by simply considering car-owners or gun-owners to be a political group.

Turkey Creek
January 13, 2006, 10:33 PM
I need one of these for personal use- I could put it somewhere dark and cozy on/ in my person and have a reciever to tell me where I am at all times- seems to be about as pratical and useful- Good Lord, will it ever end?

Standing Wolf
January 13, 2006, 10:52 PM
I think it's a common-sense idea.

Lots of peculiar, patently anti-American schemes seem common sensible to dunces.

SMMAssociates
January 14, 2006, 12:32 AM
Junk science....

Junk thinking....

Hm.... Sounds like a familiar pattern, doesn't it? :eek:

Regards,

kahr40
January 14, 2006, 01:45 AM
How 'bout we put tracking devices on politicians?
Mmmmkay?
I have a suggestion as to where we could insert the tag...:rolleyes:

DesertRat
January 14, 2006, 02:18 AM
:fire:

Give Mr. Consalvo a piece of your collective minds...

www.cityofboston.gov/contact/default.asp?id=17

rick_reno
January 14, 2006, 02:18 AM
I need one of these for personal use- I could put it somewhere dark and cozy on/ in my person and have a reciever to tell me where I am at all times- seems to be about as pratical and useful- Good Lord, will it ever end?

I know where I am all the time - I'm always directly above the center of the Earth.

This idea is nothing more than a legislator getting involved in technology that he can't begin to comprehend. We need a law that keeps them out of things they can't understand - and keeps them firmly rooted in bribery.

Freedspeak
January 14, 2006, 02:23 AM
I have a suggestion as to where we could insert the tag...
Yesterday 11:32 PM

Yes, but wouldn't it have to be re-installed on a daily basis?:evil:

oneslowgun
January 14, 2006, 03:04 AM
I REALLY don't think that the "Gun Control" drooling idiots would really want this to be law. This is one case that would "Prove the negitive". That would just destroy the claims of the VPC, and the Bradys so completely, that movement in this direction would be fought tooth-and-nail. Think about it, I am just one of, what almost 15,000 that view, or are members of THR, and I own a G21 I bought 10 yrs ago...I've had it on me horse back riding, ATV riding, in my car, on my person... for the last ten years... it still hasn't caused a crime, or been at the scene of a crime. Heck that G21 wasn't even my "carry" gun. My handgun collection has been up and down over the last 10 yrs, but I don't think it has dropped below 10-12 handguns over that time. How many here have about that many in their safe? Or more? If they were being tracked my, and the handguns of THR subscribers ALONE would be more then able to "skew" any report or "investigation" on handguns.

It would just prove that all of us "Law Abiding Citizens" aren't the problem, and that would be WAY too big a blow to their agenda.

Sir Aardvark
January 14, 2006, 03:11 AM
Once the technology gets to the stage that we have "Smart Guns", we can just have them phone home every day to tell us what they've been up to.

I would train my "Smart Gun" on how to pick ticks off my dog and also show it how to phone for a pizza.

What would you do?.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearms tracking device urged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!