Robbed in Prince George's -- of Our Peace of Mind

PDA

shermacman
January 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
This is the most breath-taking example of a clueless liberal mugged by reality. "He could have had a gun...!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/13/AR2006011302301_pf.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Robbed in Prince George's -- of Our Peace of Mind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geekWithA.45
January 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
It's best to remember that the walls of any sanctuary, real or imagined, may be breached.

Be Prepared.

nolefan
January 14, 2006, 03:23 PM
Wow, he kinda sounds like a complete moron. I feel bad for his poor kids.

Reality- it's what's for breakfast.

usp9
January 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
This is the most breath-taking example of a clueless liberal mugged by reality. "He could have had a gun...!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/13/AR2006011302301_pf.html

I was born and raised in PG county, lived there for 47 years. It has become what the article describes, islands of Mayberrys in a sea of crime and hate. My wife and I decided we had held out long enough, then realized things would not be improving. To the contrary things got worse...much worse.

Schools are terrible, overcrowded, old, kids are violent.:cuss:
Government so top heavy nothing accomplished but salary hikes.:p
Roads congested :mad:
Crime rampant. Home broken into twice. Robbed once while at a park. Robbed at gun point at work.:evil:

And try, just try to get a carry permit in the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND, for the purpose of protecting yourself.:banghead:

We gave up and moved to Virginia and have been happy ever since. :)

Hawkmoon
January 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
Anyone who could describe suburban Wshington, DC, as "affordable" hails from another planet.

A few years ago I was offered a position in Washington. The initial salary offer was, IIRC, about 25% higher than what I was then being paid, and while I wasn't in 6 digits it was a respectable salary. Once I began comparing housing costs and cost-of-living, however, I quickly discovered that even on top of a 25% increase, I would effectively be losing 15% to 20% of real buying power if I accepted the offer.

And at the time the state I lived in was considered to be one of the more expensive states in the country.

The only way anyone could think of any place in or near Washington as being "affordable" would be to live in an area where sane people would not want to live. Reading between the lines of her rant, that seems to be the case.

carebear
January 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
It's a she, which makes the response a little more understandable.

Notice the response of the other "decent" people, which she is now considering, is flight to another, safer (whiter? :rolleyes: ) neighborhood. She balances the assumed safety of Silver Springs against the "multi-cultural diversity" of PGC.

She needs to hear, but won't understand, Cooper's comment on evil.

"An unarmed man has no response to evil but to flee from it, and evil is not overcome by fleeing."

Not that she would apparently be willing to do violence in her own or her families defense anyway. She lacks the mindset and would probably actively refuse to gain it. :scrutiny:

dasmi
January 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
(whiter?)
Ya, it did sound that like was her underlying message.

Highland Ranger
January 14, 2006, 04:28 PM
Too bad she didn't teach those kids about empowerment; send them to a Karate class, teach them how to shoot. Teach them how to live and die free.

More sheep for the slaughter . . . . . . are they so "civilized" that it doesn't make them angry?

Let me take that back, even an animal will defend it's young . . . . sounds like these people weren't very civilized at all.

HankB
January 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
The author's experiences and views demonstrate something very basic - the choices you make do make a difference.

It would appear she doesn't even realize yet that she's made some bad choices.

R.H. Lee
January 14, 2006, 04:55 PM
I didn't know where 'Prince George's County' was until I googled it. Here's a blurb from their website: Johnson said, the county will also seek funds for several revitalization projects including $5 million for the Gateway Arts and Entertainment District and the African-American Heritage and Cultural Center, $3 million for the International Corridor Multicultural Service Center in Langley Park. :rolleyes:

Just another failing blissninny liberal utopia.

losangeles
January 14, 2006, 04:57 PM
Or recognize a community for what it really is, devoid of all her idealism, and move to a place where it's not like that. She sounds like she has some means, so she should use it and move to a more appropriate place.

Realistically, someone like that probably will never appreciate or be capable of defending herself and her family. Unless maybe some personal tragedy comes knocking on her door (like some local BGs threatening to kill one of her child every day) and then maybe not even then.

ka50
January 14, 2006, 05:18 PM
yeah no concealed carry in maryland is allowed

she needs to stop all this rhrtoric, and either move to a friendly state that will allow her to pack some serious gun or write to her dumbass politicians. Crying about "omigod he might've had a gun" isn't going to help anyone.

Vern Humphrey
January 14, 2006, 05:39 PM
"Why did they hurt that man? Why? He wasn't doing anything ."

They hurt him, Honey, because they could. They were many, he was one. They were young, he was old. And he didn't have a gun.

Spot77
January 14, 2006, 07:08 PM
PG County has been the talk of the town lately with their out of control crime problem and failed agendas.

One resident even went so far as to start her own blog:

http://gorypg.esmartweb.com/

Thisis a response from her when asked by a member of MarylandShallIssue.org about her stand on firearms:

>I believe that:
>
>. Most, if not all, gun laws are unconstitutional.
>. Laws requiring permits for "concealed carry," or any carrying of
>guns, are unconstitutional.
>. Politicians who support most gun laws are oath-breaking liars.
>. Gun laws neither prevent crime nor protect crime victims.
>. Laws calling for greater punishment of criminals when they use guns
>in committing their crimes are acceptable.
>. Prosecutors who wink at such crimes should be removed from office.
>(Jack Johnson did that both when my neighbor was murdered, and when the
>son of a friend was the victim of an attempted murder and was unable to
>protect himself).
>
>Do the above answer your question adequately?
>
>My blog will be reporting and commenting on any gun control bills in
>the new General Assembly if they are sponsored or publicly supported or
>opposed by members from Prince George's County.

So that makes at least TWO people I know that have their heads on straight in PG County (Cliff here at THR is the other one)

Norton
January 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
So that makes at least TWO people I know that have their heads on straight in PG County (Cliff here at THR is the other one)

What about me?:neener:

I have to travel into this cesspool everyday for work and I have to tell you that other than the school that I teach at and the trap range I make a concerted effort to never stop anywhere in the county.

It's every bit as bad as indicated in the article and in many areas they are worse. The College Park/University Park/Greenbelt areas are the good areas and they still lead the state in car jacking, robbery, and car theft. Other areas of the county are basically free fire zones.

Let's wait and see which legislators are going to join the lock step vote of the gun ban crowd when we get to Annapolis this session.

Technosavant
January 14, 2006, 09:27 PM
I read through that, and you know what I found missing?

Any attempt at arriving at an answer on how to stop it. All she does is cry about how "the bad man might have had a gun." No decision to stop being a knockover. No resolve to fight for legal CCW. Not even a call for gun control (well, maybe an implied one, but even that was weak). Just a description about how a troubling event has frozen her in that moment.

You know what happens when a deer is frozen in the headlights of a car? It dies. You know what happens when a person is frozen in the presence of violence? The same thing.

She may not have the willingness to do anything personally, but she should at least get out of the way of those who do.

Vern Humphrey
January 14, 2006, 09:41 PM
I read through that, and you know what I found missing?

Any attempt at arriving at an answer on how to stop it. All she does is cry about how "the bad man might have had a gun." No decision to stop being a knockover. No resolve to fight for legal CCW. Not even a call for gun control (well, maybe an implied one, but even that was weak). Just a description about how a troubling event has frozen her in that moment.

What do you expect? She's a liberal.

You know what happens when a deer is frozen in the headlights of a car? It dies. You know what happens when a person is frozen in the presence of violence? The same thing.

She may not have the willingness to do anything personally, but she should at least get out of the way of those who do.

She can't do that -- she's a liberal. Getting in the way of other people, foisting off on them controls and laws that make things worse -- that's their thing. It's like Restless Leg Syndrome for them.

Standing Wolf
January 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
Pamela Gerhardt teaches narrative nonfiction writing and persuasive writing at the University of Maryland.

She needs to persuade herself to get back in touch with reality. People don't live among predators: at most, they survive.

garyk/nm
January 14, 2006, 10:56 PM
Not sorry I left PGC in 1974.
What happened to the fools giving the beat-down in front of Target? More than likely nothing. Catch and release.

XLMiguel
January 15, 2006, 01:15 PM
in the vibrant mix of Prince George's County

Bwaaahahahahaaaaa! "vibrant mix" - that's funny! Granted, there are some nice (civilized) little enclaves in PG, but by and large, it's a cesspool. There's nothing I can say about PG county that won't come off as racist and bigoted, but I would speculate that if you aren't prejudiced when you move there, you very likely will be when you leave. It's a very sorry, sad place, maybe even worse than DC (DC has an excuse, i.e. Congress).

trueblue1776
January 15, 2006, 01:28 PM
he sees a vibrant mix, we see a natural born victim.

Hockeydude
January 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
"Will my son's friendships with children of all ethnicities, races and economic levels make him a better person?"

When I came to America I only made friends with Russian kids since those are the only ones I trusted. I guess I'm a bad person now.:rolleyes:

January 15, 2006, 02:28 PM
My daughter and her family live in Bowie, which on the border of PG and Anne Arundell counties. A few years back things had gotten so bad in PG that Bowie tried to secceed to Anne Arundall. PG wouldn't let them go because the area provided most of the taxes to run the hellhole known as PG county. Check a crime statisric map and the whole of PG is red except for the edge by Anne Arundall. Fortunately the daughter is a believer in having the difference...

And she's(the writer) a good liberal who will stay in her "deversivied neighborhood" until it kills her and/or her kids. Then it will be the fault of the gun...

Norton
January 15, 2006, 03:22 PM
"Will my son's friendships with children of all ethnicities, races and economic levels make him a better person?"

One of my teacher colleagues was extolling the virutes of the "vibrant mix" of people in our school all the while withdrawing her kids, selling her house and moving to Howard County :rolleyes:

Norton
January 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
It's a very sorry, sad place, maybe even worse than DC (DC has an excuse, i.e. Congress).

It's actually getting to be a lot worse in PG than in the District itself because so much of DC has been reclaimed into high end residential areas and the people who were living there have crept over into PG. Thank God Anne Arundel is still a decent place to live.

ka50
January 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
Just in case people are unaware of that area - the area (south-east DC and neighboring Prince George's county) is LITERALLY like Africa.

You will not see a single white man on the street if you're unlucky enough to get lost and wind up in south-east.

I'm not a racist, but how come is it that areas where there are mostly white folks crimes are somewhat low and in areas where black folks live the crime is skyrocketing?

I remember somewhere that white population is quickly becoming a minority...

CrazyIrishman
January 15, 2006, 04:12 PM
At one time Maryland was called "The land of pleasant living" but that was before the liberals invaded. If you take a peek at legislation that is directed at gun ownership, CCW, etc., you'll see that alot of it originates from politicians from Prince Georges or Montgomery counties. Of course the rest of the state has its liberals but IMO the majority is located in these two counties.

As for concealed carry,FORGET ABOUT IT if you're "only" a lowly resident of this state regardless of need !

I've never lived in PG county but I have done work in the area. I am a resident of Anne Arundel Co. In the past I have tried to educate a few liberals that I came in contact with about firearms and for whatever reason they just don't "understand". They can't grasp the concept of protecting one's family or theirselves. Instead,they prefer to call the LAW for help!

Vern Humphrey
January 15, 2006, 04:37 PM
One of my teacher colleagues was extolling the virutes of the "vibrant mix" of people in our school all the while withdrawing her kids, selling her house and moving to Howard County :rolleyes:

How many times I gotta tell you guys? Liberals make rules for other people to follow. Sheesh!:barf:

Norton
January 15, 2006, 05:17 PM
At one time Maryland was called "The land of pleasant living"

A National Bohemian fan I see :D

As for concealed carry,FORGET ABOUT IT if you're "only" a lowly resident of this state regardless of need !

That will continue to be true if everyone accepts the status quo. It may be "less impossible" than you think. Besides, if we don't try we'll never know.

CrazyIrishman
January 16, 2006, 04:02 AM
Hey Norton,

My best friends dad (who lived right across the street)did art work for a couple of businesses,one of which was National Boh. I seem to remember their motto all over the place. Years ago during the summer months his dad would ocassionally have a neighborhood party in his back yard . The beer.... you guessed it, National Boh! Most of the time anyway.

In regards to CCW for our state I feel that unless we can change the minds of the liberal politicians in the General Assembly we won't get it. I have been active in contacting politicians by email,snail mail, and telephone to express my opinion in an intelligent manner regardless which side of the fence they are on. Its tough trying to explain to a rabid liberal why they should not repress our SECOND AMENDMENT rights anymore than they already have without calling said liberal a !@#%@#$^#$$^# after I hear their reply. OTOH I have also called those that voted on our behalf to thank them.

I was hoping that the governor would somehow help us out with getting CCW passed. Maybe he's working behind closed doors....I don't know. I do know that he was instrumental in defeating the AWB the liberals wanted.

Wouldn't it be nice if one day the liberals in this state woke up and finally had a grasp on reality and not a fairytale?

(ps: sorry for the rant)

Warren
January 16, 2006, 04:26 AM
Y'all realize that if she does move to a more gun friendly area she will, at some point, start agitating for more gun control. In fact she will start pushing for more of what she left behind. More welfare, more diversity programs, more government in general.

So I think it is best she stay right where she is.

cracked butt
January 16, 2006, 08:29 AM
Y'all realize that if she does move to a more gun friendly area she will, at some point, start agitating for more gun control.

Who says she isn't already? I'm sure she already feels threatened by the 99% of the contenental land mass where guns are legal but crime is very low. Guns scare the multicuturals and artists away or something. Its amazing how people as naive as her live long enough to produce offspring.

svtruth
January 16, 2006, 10:12 AM
blind spot about self defense she sees the invasion of big, national/international chain stores as an economic positive. They pay low wages and take the profits from the community.

Dave P
January 16, 2006, 11:12 AM
"My children cried all night after the fighting men fell on them. We did not go to that Target for many months. "

Sounds like she is doing a very commendable job of Passing on the "Way of the Sheep" to her offspring . I wonder if they lit a candle, held hands and sang Kumbya or We are the World?

Camp David
January 16, 2006, 11:16 AM
There's nothing I can say about PG county that won't come off as racist and bigoted, but I would speculate that if you aren't prejudiced when you move there, you very likely will be when you leave...

This is the Best description of Prince Georges County I have ever read! Bravo Mike! I feel the same...

PG County has been polluted by criminals from DC! Sorry but it is true... And crime statistics back me up... Can't tell you how many people I have spoke to recently in Fairfax County, VA that use to live in PG County but left due to crime and the quality of PG County being destroyed! Now PG County is a disgrace.

Missashot
January 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
I was born in Prince George's hospital. And my family lived there for a couple of years afterward.
But after reading this article, I'm VERY thankful that they had the good sense to get out when they did.:scrutiny:

Spot77
January 16, 2006, 11:56 AM
In regards to CCW for our state I feel that unless we can change the minds of the liberal politicians in the General Assembly

Since we'll never change their minds, let's look at it a slightly different way:

In regards to CCW for our state I feel that unless we can change the liberal politicians in the General Assembly

Simply deleted few words from your quote and THAT is what our strategy is. :evil:

OSS
January 16, 2006, 12:24 PM
PG County is in fact a hell hole... I live in Virginia, just south of DC... but I have a few friends who unfortuantely live in PG. I absolutely hate going up there, especially since I can't take my gun with me. :cuss:

I could never raise kids in a place like PGC, much less live in a state that violates my right to be armed, among others.

shermacman
January 16, 2006, 12:45 PM
The amazing quote for me was "aromatic Swedish cinnamon buns and Frappuccinos". In her vacant mind, diversity means entertainment. Now, she is shocked that diversity can also mean drug-addicted, violent thugs wandering around unchallenged.

This of course follows the Grand Liberal Fool's Parade that the rain forests and ANWAR need to be preserved so that Kumbayah singers can feel good about themselves. It is all narcissistic egotism. No matter what the cost, financially or physically, one must feel good about one's self. All is self satisfaction. Even when it puts your children at risk of violent harm.

mjolnir
January 16, 2006, 01:10 PM
I took a job within my company and had to work there in '98. I quit after two months. It was the only area I've seen to date (besides D.C.) with bullet holes in our outdoor equipment.

Driving in the metro D.C. area is bad enough with the lunatics around here, but the drivers in P.G. county have taken it to a whole new level...a level beyond road rage, more like vehicular violence.

There is a level of barbarism and medieval ignorance and cruelty among the low income blacks in D.C. & it's direct extension, P.G. County. And I say that without any bigotry, as I am half-Asian and have had bigotry directed at me by folks of all colors. Because it's not a matter of race at all.
That same description of barbarism applies to some white immigrants in NYC, or lowest class white Londoners, in the 1880s. What they have in common is being a member of a outsider sub-culture, poverty, ignorance, and worst of all, a government that perpetuates those conditions.

See, there are many good black folk in both places who are virtual hostages to these youthful thugs; not enough means to move, and only prayers to protect themselves (not that prayers aren't sufficient, but if God wanted us to be totally dependent on him, he would have made us without arms and legs and metalworking skills...wait a minute, snakes seem to get by just fine...anyway, you get the point). I mean, who do you think is mostly being killed, robbed, and raped? Of course, the only ones that make the leftist papers are ex-NY Times reporters.

The governments of both places are literally third-world marxist banana "republics." The pages of the Washington Times (the only paper that bothers to actually report on government malfeasance) are filled monthly with sordid incidents of corruption....kickbacks from departments overseeing public construction, outright and blatant election fraud, the fire chief getting his position by fabricating his background, policemen robbing and raping in their off hours, parking attendants skimming the take; I could go on for pages.

Those are the people you [leftists] want to fix the problems? Those are the people that are perpetuating the problems!

The only proper response to the outrage of 911 was to issue knives at the boarding gates to everyone over 18, along with the phrase, "with your knife or upon it."

Not to create a huge bureaucracy to "protect" us. Protection lies in the hands of free men and women.

Yes, some good men, women, and children would die at the hands of would-be terrorists, but when a planeload of armed folk can't prevail over a few scumbags, the nation is doomed. Who's to say the difference on Flight 93 wasn't a pocketknife or two?

The only proper response to the outrages of D.C. and P.G. county is to issue guns to everyone over 18, and for the citizens there to organize vigilance committees, and for the police to stay in their stations for 1 week.

20cows
January 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
They were in heaven.

Before our move to Washington, my husband and I lived in a one-theater town in Texas for four years. We watched "Schindler's List" nine months after its release, butting elbows in the musty dark with descendants of cowboys on armrests waxy with age.

But did not recognize it.

We were excited to come to Washington. We bought the "Places Rated Almanac" and found the city ranked No. 7 in the country -- No. 6 in health care, No. 6 in education, No. 3 in the arts. The ocean looked so close, the mountains just west, even the climate seemed good after Texas. And suburban Prince George's County seemed to offer the perfect combination of diversity and affordability.

Glad they left.

TheEgg
January 16, 2006, 02:00 PM
I stood there, clamping on the hands of my children.

Prey reaction -- freeze and hope the predators pass you by.

Sad that she is teaching her children to be prey.

mister2
January 16, 2006, 02:52 PM
An early poster to this thread Googled Prince George's County to realize where it was. Google University Park, which is the subdivision development in which the writer lives.

Listed for the second time by Washingtonian Magazine as "The Best Place To Live in Prince George's County," the Town has traditionally attracted many professionals working for the University of Maryland, the public sector, and private business.

For a place that's bought its exclusivity (and apparent security) for decades, it's disappointing to realize that the fog of denial does not extend to Target. Poor babies!

Pilot
January 16, 2006, 04:16 PM
"A man (wearing a symbol of peace, a Rastafarian hat, no less) in the car next to mine threw a soda can at me and yelled profanities."

"Symbol of peace." Oh puhlease! This woman is a helpless, liberal, BLISSNINNY!

trueblue1776
January 16, 2006, 04:25 PM
I wear a holster, a symbol of piece

:D

Hot brass
January 16, 2006, 05:16 PM
I hope she gives speaches in her area, I don`t want to hear from her. :barf:

Lindenberger
January 17, 2006, 01:42 AM
Not sorry I left PGC in 1974.
What happened to the fools giving the beat-down in front of Target? More than likely nothing. Catch and release.
That ain't no beta sigma. In the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Maryland (ruled by Dems for 50 years) with a Republican eunuch for Chief Exec--he just made it a felony to assault (read:touch) any cop--even one who needs his donkey beat)--you defend yourself--you go to gaol. If you're the perp, they put you in treatment, hold a candlelight vigil, and pray to the fairies (I guess--they sure don't believe in God) that you'll wake up the next morn a goodie-two-shoes. This "Republican" gov just wants to be Gov. He don't give a damn about conservative ideology or anything else. And you know, Washington, D. C. (Dodge City, to the New Jack boys), Baltimore (Tombstone Territory) and Detroit are all vieing for 1st place among America's most dangerous cities. That could not have been said when those cities were majority white. Any arguments to the contrary?

Lindenberger
January 17, 2006, 02:08 AM
. . . . There's nothing I can say about PG county that won't come off as racist and bigoted, but I would speculate that if you aren't prejudiced when you move there, you very likely will be when you leave.

When I was a kid, you could walk from one end of Baltimore to the other without fear. Now you have to be afraid that if you defend yourself, your donkey is grass. And if the perp is black, the (black) cops will not only lock you up, but lie and throw the book at you. The black judge will max your legal sentence. I know people to whom this has happened. The solution??? Don't move to Maryland. Unless you're black.

Lindenberger
January 17, 2006, 02:24 AM
They were in heaven. But did not recognize it. Glad they left. That's quite a theology in itself. But, back to my point. I'm not "glad they left," 'cause this God-forsaken state is full of'm.

Skeptic
January 17, 2006, 11:59 AM
Calvert county for me!!!

I have to go into PG county everyday for work, but you can bet that I do not go there unless I have to.

The county below PG is Charles county and now it too is becoming a haven for criminals. somd.com headlines will show you what Waldorf is like nowdays..... hijackings, carjacking, home invasions, robbery of all kinds.

And its damn near impossible to get CCW here......

CrazyIrishman
January 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
Hi Spot,

Thats not a bad strategy but who would the libs vote for to represent them in the General Assy' and who is also a friend of gun owners, OR an the very least won't sell us out lock,stock, and barrel? I imagine its possible but IMO PG county seems to breed nothing but lib politicians. It has been my experience that many libs are 1) stuck in fairy land, 2)see ALL CIVILIAN guns as evil,and 3)ignore (gun)facts and refute w/ mindless myth & drivel from the Brady Bunch etc..

If you enjoyed reading about "Robbed in Prince George's -- of Our Peace of Mind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!