Can I own this?

PDA

DontBurnMyFlag
January 14, 2006, 02:09 PM
Such a sad question to have to ask. However, in NJ, can I own a folding or collapsible stock on my yugo sks? I heard that I am allowed a certain number of evil features. However, Im not sure if that applies to the stock or not. I could not find any information online so if someone could please clear this up, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I own this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geekWithA.45
January 14, 2006, 06:36 PM
Max of 2 Evil features on a semi auto, must also check list of "banned by name" arms.

Evil features, IIRC:

Folding/collapsing Stock
Pistol Grip
Flash Hider
Bayo Lug (IIRC, the permanently attached fold out SKS bayo doesn't count)
Grenade launcher (careful w/ the SKS on this!)
Detacheable magazine (max of 15 rnds, in any event)
and uh.....heat shield?

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm getting rusty. YMMV.

joab
January 14, 2006, 06:47 PM
I just went through this on another thread

changing out the stock requires you to replace a minimum of eight parts with USA made parts
Look at what I bubba-ed (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194830)

nfl1990
January 14, 2006, 08:35 PM
Bayo Lug
Yeah, that'll really stop those drive by bayonetings.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=113179&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=assault%20firearms&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={179F}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=0&y=0&zz=w."Assault firearm" means:

(1)The following firearms:

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

(2)Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above.

(3)A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.

(4)A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds.

(5)A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.I guess it depends on whether your SKS has a detachable mag or not. (This is the third time I've had to edit this because the statute is so incomprehensible. :rolleyes: )

- NF

joab
January 14, 2006, 11:11 PM
It's not a matter of being an assault weapon
Changing out the stock changes the guns C&R status that it was imported under

An assault weapon restriction would be regional the the C&R importation status is federal
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

http://www.tapco.com/page.asp?id=73

DontBurnMyFlag
January 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
wow, what a confusing law. But I live in NJ and Im used to confusing laws that we can do without. So anyway, in order for me to have the Tapco collapsible stock on my Yugo sks I would need to remove the following.

bayonet and lug
and
grenade launcher

is that correct? will I have to change some internal parts too?

Thanks for all the information by the way too.

RavenVT100
January 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
Actually, you're going about this a little bit wrong, let me explain.

What's stopping you from attaching the stock isn't NJ law, it's federal law that states that imports other than C&R have to have a certain number of US-made parts to be legal. By removing the Yugo's parts, you'll be taking it out of the C&R category and it will have to be legal as far as import regs go.

The NJ AWB does not apply to rifles WITHOUT detachable mags. Otherwise your SKS would be an assault weapon, since it already has a bayonet attachment and a grenade launcher, both of which are "evil features."

joab
January 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
The easiest thing to do is change the magazine to a USA made replacement mag, change the op rod and the piston to USA parts. And add a American made muzzle break.

Or remove the Bayo lug and cut off the barrel below the launcher

DontBurnMyFlag
January 15, 2006, 05:39 PM
I already have an american made gas piston. I also remember seeing a way to remove the grenade launcher without cutting the barrel. **EDIT** correction, I was talking about the grenade launcher sights, my mistake

Raven VT 100. I know that this is federal law, I was just comparing it to confusing NJ laws. Thanks for the clarification though.

Ok, So since I have an american gas piston I have to:

get a american operation rod
get a USA magazine
and
remove the bayonet (Do i have to cut off the lug or does it come off with the bayonet?)

The Tapco collapsible stock contains 3 compliance parts (pistol grip, stock and handguard) FYI

Will all that cut it?

joab
January 15, 2006, 05:56 PM
I also remember seeing a way to remove the grenade launcher without cutting the barrel. Yes but then you have a threaded barrel

joab
January 15, 2006, 06:00 PM
get a american operation rod
get a USA magazine
and
remove the bayonet (Do i have to cut off the lug or does it come off with the bayonet?)If you relace those parts with US compliance parts you don't have to remove the bayonet lug.
The lug would need to be removed to eliminate the evil feature if that was necessary

DontBurnMyFlag
January 15, 2006, 06:32 PM
whats wrong with a threaded barrel? Does that mean the threads are exposed on the outside of the barrel now?

Thanks for all the info.

joab
January 15, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yes and it means that they are capable of accepting silencers or other muzzle attachments that may be banned.

California bans them and requires the barrel to be cut I don't know about NJ, but I would think that a threaded barrel would be illegal. A brake would cost about $20and would make the gun look better, check on the legality though
The op rod is about $10 and an American made non detachable mag is about $15.
The piston is the most expensive part
The parts are all pretty much drop in

DontBurnMyFlag
January 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
I already have the gas piston from TAPCO.

In my local gun store they have the HK Mk23 with a threaded barrel. AFAIK, threaded barrels are legal in NJ, but I will look into that later.

To attach a muzzle break, what would I have to do?

joab
January 15, 2006, 07:48 PM
I honestly don't know about the legalities of threaded barrels there, but it's a good guess that if a reputable shop is selling one then it's OK

Let me dig up the article on removing the launcher

It's basically driving out the pin and unscrewing it, just not that easy sometimes

joab
January 15, 2006, 08:03 PM
Here's one method.
It's a bit more complex than the one I was looking for because it concerns itself with not damaging the launcher, which I don't care too much about

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/grlaunchremove2/index.asp

DontBurnMyFlag
January 15, 2006, 11:47 PM
wow. thanks for all of that. ill think about chaning the sks and getting some stuff done. it will be a project lol. thanks.

DontBurnMyFlag
January 15, 2006, 11:49 PM
also, I dont really care about damaging the grenade launcher. so driving the pin out and unscrewing it is another way to do it? i could give it a go if i had more info on how. but once again, youve been alot of help.

joab
January 16, 2006, 12:09 AM
Just replace the little homemade clamp with a pipe wrench.

apparently heating up the launcher helps in taking it off.

I'm going to be doing it either tomorro or next weekend so I'll let you know if I screw it up.

Also removing the grenade sights is not as hard as they make it out to be.

I just used a drill to ream out the rivet on one side and then used pliers to bend the sight just enough to lift it off. Took about 5 minutes.

joab
January 16, 2006, 12:16 AM
The picture in the site I provided is the project I started last week end
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194830

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I own this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!