Q:CA GunLaw-"used"vs."new"&30day lockout

PDA

ziadel
January 14, 2006, 11:47 PM
asking this question for someone else on another board.

I'm a California resident.
I recently purchased a Kimber 1911 and currently waiting out the 10 day waiting period before I can receive it.
I understand I need to wait 30 days from that purchase date before I can buy another new handgun.

Someone informed me that the 30 day lock-out only applies to new guns, not "used ones." So my questions are:

A). Is that true?
B). If true and I buy a "used" handgun do I receive the handgun at the end of this current 10 day waiting period? or is there a separate 10 day waiting period for the second gun from the time I bought it?
C). If true would it only applicable to a used purchase from one private seller to another through an FFL dealer? or would it also true of a used purchase sold by an FFL dealer (e.g. through Gunbroker.com or Gunsamerica.com)?

The answer isn't clear to me - even after going through the California Gun Laws.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q:CA GunLaw-"used"vs."new"&30day lockout" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CAnnoneer
January 14, 2006, 11:49 PM
Your local Turner's Outdoorsman should know the details. Just give them a call. Here is their website:

http://www.turners.com/

AFAIK, private transfers are exempt from the 30-day rule, but actually buying from the store (either used or new) is subject to it.

QuickDraw
January 14, 2006, 11:55 PM
A.Yes
B.A new 10 day period
C.All firearms (except certain C+R firearms) must
go through a FFL,therefore a 10 day wait.
Person to person transfers(PTP) are exempt from the
"one handgun a month" rule.
Hope this helps.
Its tough to navigate the gun laws of California.
They do that on purpose.:banghead:

QuickDraw

If you enjoyed reading about "Q:CA GunLaw-"used"vs."new"&30day lockout" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!