Moderator dumb question

PDA

Kim
January 15, 2006, 12:01 AM
I am by asking this question going to show my ignorance. How does a moderator moderate a disussion board. Do you have to sit around and watch it constantly. How does the man behind the curtain really work??????????????????????:o

If you enjoyed reading about "Moderator dumb question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
January 15, 2006, 12:12 AM
Thats not dumb, I've wondered the same thing. Does a moderator read every single post scaning for contraband language.

Kim
January 15, 2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks, I don't feel as silly now. But I am curious.

Firethorn
January 15, 2006, 12:26 AM
Well, if you wander over to slashdot or other member moderated forums, it's mostly the moderater reading and enjoying(why would they hang out if they don't enjoy the place?). They just have some extra buttons designed to punish the wicked(as defined by the moderator).

Common powers:
The ability to edit or delete any post.
The ability to ban, with the duration of their choice, any poster
Open, close, or delete threads.
For bad posts, if they don't read it, some member hits the 'report bad post', and it's brought to the moderator's attention. Could be private messages, or a moderator only forum.

Advanced Powers:
Banning IPs and Groups of IP's.
Activating filters. For doing stuff like transforming four letter word for fecal matter into Sh**
Garnering advanced information on users for usage in complaining to the troll's ISP, or in the case of a couple boards, hacking into the troll's computer and visiting retribution.
Renaming Users. Example: One another board, a guy with the the nick 'Hapsburg' was so annoying that his nick became 'n00b1' Can be used for non-correctional purposes like marrige if their real name is used.

Mal H
January 15, 2006, 12:35 AM
Firethorn listed about all the stuff we have that other members don't have access to. However, he left out the magic potions and incantations that help to spot the "evildoers" as Nell would have said it. :) We keep those secret formulas closely guarded.

Trust me, we don't have the time to read all the posts so we do depend on the general membership to help us find anything that doesn't belong here.

Oh, and we also have the ability to move threads around as you can tell.

"Ignore that man (or woman) behind the curtain!" :D

pax
January 15, 2006, 12:40 AM
There are a lot of us and that helps the workload tremendously -- what one doesn't catch, someone else will. :)

... most the time. :uhoh:

We really do depend on the members to alert us when there's a problem, or at least not to make it any worse while waiting for a moderator to come along and wave the magic wand over it. Those who pour cooling water on flames, or ignore the flames altogether, are much appreciated.

pax

Kim
January 15, 2006, 01:11 AM
Well thanks. Not magical at all. :D

Snagglepuss
January 15, 2006, 12:09 PM
Always wondered, never asked. Thanks, I now consider myself enlightened as to the powers of the hallowed.:D

Coronach
January 16, 2006, 06:58 AM
*I* actually do have magical powers. The other mods are the mundane ones. Me? I'm magical.

In all seriousness, we tend to read a lot of the threads, but by no means all threads or all posts. After belonging to the board for a while, you can pretty much pick out some threads that need "special attention" just by looking at the title.

That "Report This Post to Moderator" button helps us a lot.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Moderator dumb question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!