winchester Model 11 "widowmaker"

PDA

chestnut ridge
January 15, 2006, 12:17 AM
This shotgun is not one I know anything about. How did it get its
nickname?

If you enjoyed reading about "winchester Model 11 "widowmaker"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SRG
January 15, 2006, 01:01 AM
I did not know that the M11 was called "widowmaker". On the other hand, the Marlin M19 is also called the "widowmaker" and even Marlin recommends not shooting one. The Cowboy Action game does not allow Marlin M19s in competition.
I am racking my brain trying to remember the gun's internals as one came across my bench about for years ago. The bolt locking system is so weak as to allow the bolt to fly rearward should the system fail.
Is the M11 plagued with the same weakness?

Dave McCracken
January 15, 2006, 09:08 AM
The 1911 Winchester had no charging handle, since that was covered under Browning's patents. It had a knurled section of the barrel that one grasped to hand cycle the action.

Oft idioti did so while it was pointed at them. On occasion, the thing fired.

When used in accordance with The Four Rules, it was a decent, good pointing shotgun.

For a while, Winchester would exchange them for a Model 12. Winchester made no other autos until after Browning's patents expired.

Rpriestlyjr
January 17, 2006, 01:26 PM
Yep, no bolt handle. It is recoil operated. So the shooter would load the magazine, grab the knurled section of the barrel and push down towards the receiver to charge the bolt and load a shell. With oil on the barrel or gloves on, the hand could (and I'm sure it did) slip letting the bolt load the round in the chamber and 'slam-fire,' resulting in a sudden loss of one's head.
I had the opportunity to screw around with one for a while and just didn't like it. Never put a loaded shell in it.....the gun just scared me.
I've never been a fan of auto-loaders since I've seen more than my share of 'slam-fires' in quality guns. Though I do have an Auto-5 and 11-48, I take extra care as to where the muzzle is pointed.

If you enjoyed reading about "winchester Model 11 "widowmaker"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!