Legal in UK, but not US (!)

PDA

iapetus
January 15, 2006, 08:31 AM
I found this website selling deactivated Russian firearms:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_aksu.htm

I was supprised to see that while this is classed as "not a gun" by UK law, and so unrestricted, it is banned from import to the US :scrutiny:

Now, if I could actualy see a point in paying over 400 ($700) for a vandalised AK, I might even be able to say :neener: for a change!

BRITISH MARKET: Due to the fact that AKSU 74 (MGV) is built by using the pre-deactivated original AK parts, the MGV is completely inert and is being treated as a dummy assault rifle and NOT a firearm and therefore it is NOT subject to licensing control by the FSS (POLICE APPROVED). All AKs are new & come in original Tula factory package. Price: 395-00 + 10 Next Day Special delivery

USA MARKET: Due to the fact that deactivated rifles have a real receiver (gun part banned for importation into the US), we do not sell deacts to the US

If you enjoyed reading about "Legal in UK, but not US (!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CAnnoneer
January 15, 2006, 05:36 PM
Actually, deacts that can be illegally converted to active guns may not be such a great idea. Somebody goes and robs a bank with them and then there is a huge outcry to get rid of all EBR, including standard firearms legally owned by law-abiding citizens.

Neener is also inappropriate because the federal AWB expired, so people in many states (not Cali) can buy the real thing legally.

G36-UK
January 15, 2006, 06:32 PM
IIRC, over here the gun has to be butchered so much internally that it can;t be re-activated.

I just found out you can have handguns as long as they're over a certain length. (so Alucard still has legal guns;) )

Mind you, most peole just get them because it's a pain in the ar*e to get a FAC (not to mention according to a friend who used to be here, it gets harder to renew practically every year).

If we pull out of the EU, can we try and join the USA? Maybe then, we'd get some decent laws for firearm ownership.

Byron Quick
January 15, 2006, 06:39 PM
I'm quite sure that Scotland would qualify for statehood. It would be quite a shock to many of your countryment, though.

Cosmoline
January 15, 2006, 06:47 PM
It just have to have a "republican form of government" and get approval from Congress and the Pres. Unicameral legislatures such as Nebraska's are OK, so I suspect a state parliament would also pass muster.

Hkmp5sd
January 15, 2006, 09:50 PM
The reason it cannot be imported into the US is ATF requires the receiver to be torch cut to deactivate the gun. The way these are deactivated, it looks like you could return them to functional condition fairly easy, a parts kit and grinder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Legal in UK, but not US (!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!