Good News and Bad News in Ohio This Week

PDA

308win
January 15, 2006, 10:27 AM
Good News: Supreme Court Justice Alice Resnik announced she isn't standing for reelection.

Bad News: Ohio passed its version of the Patriot Act. In 90+ days LEO can ask for your ID (w/o PC) and failure to produce can get you arrested. Next will be searches of person, vehicles, possessions w/o PC; stay tuned. Of course this is all in the name of security; Rs control both Houses and there were 2 dissenting votes in the house.

The slope is getting more and more slippery.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good News and Bad News in Ohio This Week" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Molon Labe
January 15, 2006, 10:31 AM
LEO can ask for your ID (w/o PC) and failure to produce can get you arrested.I will not comply with this law. My line has already been drawn.

I guess an arrest is in my future.

1911 guy
January 15, 2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, things are gonna get downright interesting here in Ohio soon. Personally, I can't wait until Taft is gone. I'm really beginning to believe that Daffy Duck would be a better governor.

Logistics
January 15, 2006, 11:24 AM
link?

Desertdog
January 15, 2006, 11:26 AM
In 90+ days LEO can ask for your ID (w/o PC) and failure to produce can get you arrested.I thought being arrested for not having an ID was settled by the SCOTUS a long time ago; or has that been reconsidered by them?

1911 guy
January 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
This idea has indeed been resurected and passed into law by our esteemed governor here in Ohio. Goes into law in April. I don't have a link, but I'm sure if you search for the Cleveland Plain Dealer (newspaper) it will be in there.

gm
January 15, 2006, 01:43 PM
so what happens if you have no id with you?

this would certainly fall under unreasonable without probable cause.if a politican had done something even remotely similiar,years ago,he would be ruined and probably thrown out of the country.if this is indeed true, its very dishonorable and shameful on his behalf.things sure have gone downhill and our ideals changed to believe this crap is acceptable for anyone,let alone a politican.

"your papers please!"
"sorry,dont have them on me but my name is ....."
"stop!..your papers are not in order!..hands up!..hands up!"

so whats the GOOD news?

Kim
January 15, 2006, 05:05 PM
I believe there was a recent USSC case on this. They said the police can ask you to identify yourself and you must do so.

Car Knocker
January 15, 2006, 06:35 PM
I believe there was a recent USSC case on this. They said the police can ask you to identify yourself and you must do so.

HIIBEL v. SIXTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT OF
NEVADA, HUMBOLDT COUNTY, et al.

Hiibel was asked to identify himself by an officer during the course of an investigation into an assault. Hiibel refused, claiming Fifth Amendment protection. USSC upheld his conviction because, among other factors, Hiibel was unable to articulate how revealing his name could have been used against him in a criminal case.

Herself
January 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
It's a little more complicated than that. The upshot of the USSC case (aka "Hiibel Decision") was that, if your state laws included a requirement to produce ID on demand, such a law was not in conflict with federal law and the state could do it; but there is no requirement that any state must.

The thugs in OH's legislature, having been told they could transform their state's procedures for a Terry stop into something from a Hollywood version of Occupied France, proceeded to make is possible.

In many police stops, you're someplace where you'd need to prove your age (bar) or you're operating a motor vehicle and must prove you've got the proper license for that privilige; this trumps your expectation of privacy: you do have to comply when asked for ID and always have. It's the walking-down-the-sidewalk, minding-your-own-business sorts of stops where OH police can now demand, "Papers!" So those who choose non-compliance, pick your battles carefully.

I live in Indiana. While Ohio's CCW progress was a ray of light, between their rights-grabbing Big Brotherism and the Illinois nanny-state, I wonder how long we can hold on. Odd that us savage, armed Hoosiers lag either state in crime stats, isn't it?

--Herself

If you enjoyed reading about "Good News and Bad News in Ohio This Week" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!