CCW pistol

PDA

Oldnamvet
January 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
I am probably going to buy one of the following 3: Bersa, Makarov, CZ-83.
Caliber considerations aside, how do they stack up again one another? I have only had the opportunity so far to handle the Bersa and it fit me quite well. Has anyone owned and used any 2 of these or even all 3?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Werewolf
January 15, 2006, 01:10 PM
Don't know squat about the Bersa but I've fired my Son in law's Makarov on a number of occasions. I wasn't impressed. Not terribly accurate, small grip and shot high and left. I know that one does not a sample make but still...

Neither am I a big fan of .380 but if that's what you want then the CZ is the way to go. CZ makes fine weapons. I own 3 of them (two CZ-75B's and a CZ-550). All three have been reliable, accurate and easy to maintain weapons. Based on that experience I'd have to recommend the CZ-83.

grimjaw
January 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
Oldnamvet, if I were going to choose one for primary CCW, it would probably be the CZ. I would only make that choice because of the additional capacity, not because it's a better pistol than the other two or that it's ideally suited to the role. You might be able to find a CZ82 chambered for 9x18, although I haven't seen them come cheap. If you've got a C&R, you could conceivably find a good deal on a nice Makarov.

The sights on the Bersa and CZ are good, definitely better than the Makarov.
The Bersa and CZ will come with a warranty, Maks won't. Of course, a monkey (I qualify) could repair most anything wrong with a Makarov, and there are parts kits available, so warranty isn't as important with that gun.
The Bersa and CZ have more convenient magazine releases, Makarov is European style.
The trigger pull on Makarovs can vary widely. The Bersas that I have tried were nothing to write home about, but might be a little bit better than the average Makarov. Can't comment on the CZ. They're all SA/DA.
The CZ is the only one of the three with a frame-mounted safety, and it's ambidextrous.
CZ and Makarov are both thumb down to release safety, Bersa is thumb up.
Bersa and Makarov safeties also act as decockers, not sure about the CZ.
The Makarov is extremely easy to detail strip and reassemble. I can't comment on the other two, but the CZ seems to be most like the Makarov, so field stripping it should be simple.
Weight w/o magazine is in this order, from lightest to heaviest: Bersa, Makarov, CZ. The Mak and CZ are very close unloaded.
I personally think the Bersa is the prettiest gun of the three, and CZ is the ugliest. But the ugly duckling is the one I'd want with me. Outside of your choices, I'd take a Browning BDA (got one? I'll trade you a Mak for it). The Makarov was my first semi-auto, and I still like it. The only thing it really lacks is better sights and higher capacity, IMO. The double stack versions out there don't have glowing reviews, mostly because of the magazines. I have a pistol better suited to CCW (Kahr K9), so I don't carry the Makarov any more. It's not suited for deep concealment so it doesn't qualify as a BUG. It's become a range/fun gun. I'm actually thinking of replacing it with a Glock 19, please don't tell anybody.

Hope this helps.

jmm

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!