browning high power vs 1911

PDA

mattdus
January 16, 2006, 12:40 AM
I love the 1911 but I shot a High power in .40S&W yesterday and loved it.
now I cant decide on which one to purchase for a carry gun. based on over all reliabiliy and ease of use which would you all preffer? I am sure that the 1911 will likely win out but I will give everyone the chance. please post why you like one over the other.

If you enjoyed reading about "browning high power vs 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waterhouse
January 16, 2006, 12:45 AM
This won't help you choose at all, but I went with 1911 because it fits my hand and the hi-power doesn't. I sold my hi power (9mm) last year and don't miss it at all.

U.S.SFC_RET
January 16, 2006, 12:45 AM
Get a well tuned .45 ACP 1911 and you will never regret it. It is a part of americana sort of like the Harley Davidson.

TexasRifleman
January 16, 2006, 12:49 AM
Til you shoot a 1911 in 10mm you don't know what you're missing :evil:

Here's a Delta and a Razorback:

http://homepage.mac.com/jayc67/1911.jpg

Ohen Cepel
January 16, 2006, 12:54 AM
I love the HP in 9mm as it was meant to be. Not such a fan of it in .40, therefor, I voted for the .45.

Would have gone with the original HP over the 1911 myself.

Either way, you can't go wrong though!

IndianaDean
January 16, 2006, 01:36 AM
+1 Ohen.

grimjaw
January 16, 2006, 01:37 AM
I don't own a 1911. Even as much as I love my Hi-Power, I still voted 1911/.45.

jmm

10-Ring
January 16, 2006, 01:52 AM
I'm not a 40 fan and as BHP & 1911's go, I like'em ALOT. If the choice is between a 40 & a 45, I'd go w/ the 45 ;)

DHart
January 16, 2006, 01:55 AM
That's a choice that's just wrong to have to make. You need both! I have numerous samples of both platforms and while the 1911 is probably my favorite, the BHP in 40 has a reliability and capacity that is a huge challenge to the 1911. The BHP reliability right out of the box is superb... better than the "average" 1911 by far. No bobbles, extractor adjustments, magazine "issues", whatever... they're just solid as a rock. All the BHP really NEEDS is a good trigger job. After that, they really are a superb defense gun and very comfortable to shoot in 40 caliber. I feel very well protected indeed with one of my BHP's loaded with 11 180 gr. Golden Saber rounds. Feel in the hand is amazing, pointability superb, reliability - unsurpassed. Of course the 1911 is really something else again, speaking of which, I've got a gorgeous, reliable, accurate blued Colt XSE government sitting right beside me, standing at the ready... ;)

Black Majik
January 16, 2006, 03:50 AM
Tough choice, but I'm a diehard 1911 fan. I'm not a diehard HP fan.

1911 gets my vote

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 16, 2006, 04:19 AM
I've always been a huge fan of both the P35 and the 1911 in their original guises.

I've owned a couple of 1911's and a great many HiPowers. All BHP's were 9mm. My personal opinion is the .40 BHP is an abomination. I don't mean anything personal about it, I simply think the BHP is best in 9mm.

If you want a single action semi in .40, consider a CZ SA or a RAMI. They were engineered for .40, not modified to fit.

Regards,
Rabbit.

palerider1
January 16, 2006, 04:51 AM
i have a colt 1911 and love it,,,,,,,,,what a classical beauty.:)

Erinyes
January 16, 2006, 04:58 AM
For me it's no contest. The BHP just fits my hand better than any other handgun I've ever fired. And I have to disagree about the .40S&W High Power being an "abomination." FN actually put a fair amount of engineering into it. The slide was actually redesigned for the .40 BHP. It's thicker and heavier than the 9mm's. And most importantly, I don't have to fiddle with the darned link to put the gun back together. :neener:

DHart
January 16, 2006, 05:17 AM
Erinyes has it right on the BHP in Forty... the gun was re-engineered specifically for forty, beefed up for it (thicker slide, three barrel lugs vs. 2, etc.), and handles the caliber with great ease. You wouldn't know this without examining and closely comparing the 9mm HP to the .40 HP... and shooting the forty. I would say the BHP is arguably at least the equal, if not the better of any other forty caliber platform out there. I also have a HP in 9mm and find it a bit of a let down after handling and shooting my two HP's in 40. As I said above, however, the trigger in a Hi Power really needs the touch of an expert like Don Williams (who specializes in Hi-Powers) - once someone like Don has finished with it, the HP trigger is wonderful indeed.

denfoote
January 16, 2006, 05:25 AM
If it had been a Hi-Power in 9mm, then it would be different. But, it has to be a 1911 in this case!!

Marshall
January 16, 2006, 10:59 AM
For a carry gun?

The reliable, dependable, non-finicky Hi-Power of course, regardless of 9mm or 40 S&W.

DHart
January 16, 2006, 01:45 PM
For a carry gun?

The reliable, dependable, non-finicky Hi-Power of course, regardless of 9mm or 40 S&W.

+1 on the "non finicky" part... we all love our 1911's, but sure do have to put up with a lot of extractor adjustments, magazine issues, etc. I'm constantly amazed at all the functional issues we 1911 lovers put up with for the platform. I have some 1911's which have been trouble free, but also a number of them that have needed coddling or have the occasional bobble.

With the Hi-Power, they just run and run and run... never a bobble in any of mine, just non-finicky reliability from the first round. Makes the 1911 look downright troublesome by comparison. But we sure do love our 1911's, don't we! ;)

TexasRifleman
January 16, 2006, 02:06 PM
+1 on the "non finicky" part... we all love our 1911's, but sure do have to put up with a lot of extractor adjustments, magazine issues, etc. I'm constantly amazed at all the functional issues we 1911 lovers put up with for the platform. I have some 1911's which have been trouble free, but also a number of them that have needed coddling or have the occasional bobble.

The only 1911's I have ever owned that were not 100% reliable out of the box were guns I bought used and someone had "worked" on them.

Every NIB 1911 I've ever had has run 100% reliably.

The problem with 1911's is that everyone thinks they are a gunsmith when they own one.

Pilot
January 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
I love the HP in 9mm as it was meant to be. Not such a fan of it in .40, therefor, I voted for the .45.

+2

My thoughts exactly. I just don't see a need for .40 when you have great guns in 9MM and .45.

raghorn
January 16, 2006, 02:40 PM

+3!

Vitamin G
January 16, 2006, 03:09 PM
I went with the 1911 only because the BHP is a .40

Personally, I carry a 1911 and a BHP, seasonally. As the seasons and weather changes, so does my gun. I'm not worried about thick heavy coats in the summertime.
Plus, its an excuse to have both.

Ken Rainey
January 16, 2006, 07:01 PM
I don't like the .40 S&W cartridge because of it's design - high pressure with no room for error - and the pistols that chamber them because most were not designed specifically for it but quickly modified to accept it....that being said, if I were to want a .40 caliber pistol, I just might choose the Browning High Power platform (with a couple of modifications to make it more user friendly) because they did design the pistol to handle the cartridge and made sure of it before taking it to market. Note that I do not have any personal experience with the BHP in that caliber but do own one in 9mm.

Between the two, I'd pick the 1911 in .45 for the better trigger and ease of complete disassembly as well as launching a larger bullet at lower pressures. If you want to shoot a bullet similar to the .40, the .45 is available in 185 grains at around 1000 fps from several manufacturers....

Yeah, you might have to change a part or two or tweak this or that depending on who built the 1911, but maintaining a properly set up 1911 is easy to do...you really have to hold your mouth in just the right place and have three hands to be able to completely disassemble and reassemble a BHP - at least thats how it is for me ! Of course, YMMV....

Ken

IndianaDean
January 16, 2006, 09:44 PM
The only 1911's I have ever owned that were not 100% reliable out of the box were guns I bought used and someone had "worked" on them.

Every NIB 1911 I've ever had has run 100% reliably.

The problem with 1911's is that everyone thinks they are a gunsmith when they own one.

+1. I too have only experienced problems with 1911s that had been customized.

Candiru
January 17, 2006, 12:06 AM
I voted 1911 only because I personally don't care for .40. If the option had been for a BHP in 9mm, that would get my vote.

rbernie
January 17, 2006, 12:09 AM
The problem with 1911's is that everyone thinks they are a gunsmith when they own one. +1.

rbernie
January 17, 2006, 12:10 AM
double tap

mattdus
January 17, 2006, 03:55 AM
The reliable, dependable, non-finicky Hi-Power of course
this was my thought. every 1911 I have fired had some kind of problem with feeding / jamming. if the high power is more reliable then that would be my choice. as far as 9mm or .40S&W goes I just dont feel too good about 9mm, that is a personal preference although I do have to agree that its an incorect preference as I regularly carry a 5 shot .38 in a pocket. that and the .40 is avalible at a local shop used but like new for what seems to be a fair price for a gun that is like new never fired.

gfen
January 17, 2006, 04:40 AM
Stock vs. stock, the 1911 safety feels safer than the HP safety. Its a nice, positive "click."

On the other hand, if I were going to consider lugging around a full, service sized steel single action gun, I'd consider the Hi-Power SFS. To engage the safety, you push the hammer in. Result? Hammer down, safety on. Not-Quite-Cocked-But-Still-Locked. Condition 1 and a half, I suppose. ;) Wipe the safety off, and hte hammer becomes cocked automagically!

But, that's if I were considering something big and fat on my hip. I'm not. You are, though. ;)

BusMaster007
January 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
Just when I was all caught up in 1911's in .45 and BHP's in .40, which happens every year along with the desire to own a Winchester Model 70 and a S&W revolver... :banghead:

...I begin to appreciate my choices in:
Beretta, Remington and Ruger
...all over again... :neener: :D

( I think I'd choose the BHP in .40 )

McCall911
January 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
Check out that recoil spring in the .40-caliber HP! Man, is that baby stiff!

f4t9r
January 17, 2006, 05:11 PM
I like both , Browning is good stuff

Northslope Nimrod
January 17, 2006, 05:28 PM
I like the BHP in 9mm...mostly because 9mm is cheap to shoot.
But if you can get a 1911 to run as reliably as my BHP...I would vote for the 1911. First, they have a better trigger with double tap capability. The BHP trigger doesn't lend itself to double taps well. Second, I like the grip safety.
Thus, if the 1911 had the same trigger as the BHP then I would choose the BHP.
Both are great. I currently have a BHP and I'm hoping to add a 1911 soon!

TC-TX
January 17, 2006, 07:16 PM

+1

The BHP in 9mm is just an Awesome Experience!

Missouri Mule
January 17, 2006, 07:17 PM
I love the 1911 and am very fond of the BHP.
What I don't like is the .40 .

The 1911 and the .45 acp are a marriage made in heaven as is the BHP and the 9mm. I'm not wild about the 9mm itself but JMB saw its potential.

Personally I will leave the .40 to the newcomers on the gun design scene.

scubie02
January 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
In theory I want to like the Browning HP. But in reality, every one I have fired has had a not so great trigger (yes, they can be worked on, but I'm talking as they come), which quite possibly lent itself to the less than stellar accuracy I have tended to also experience. I also read recently that they have cast frames? I had not heard that before, but if true--none of the more reputable 1911's use cast frames.

Whereas as of yet I have not owned a 1911 that didn't have at least a decent trigger, that wasn't reasonably accurate (some astoundingly so), and all of mine have been perfectly reliable. So for me, I'd have to vote 1911. Someday when I have extra money would I own a HP? Sure. But I already own several 1911's, and keep adding new ones...:evil:

The Real Hawkeye
January 17, 2006, 08:16 PM
The High Power is designed for the 9mm. A great gun, but you are asking too much of it to chamber it in a hot number like .40 S&W. Frame life is going to be abysmal. I voted for the 1911 because that's what I carry. It's a .45 ACP and smacks bad guys down with authority. Mine are all reliable and shoot well. They are also very comfortable to carry concealed.

FEATHERWEIGHT
January 17, 2006, 09:00 PM
Neither for a carry gun. Best carry gun ever is a 642 or 442.

IndianaDean
January 17, 2006, 10:33 PM
I had a 642. Got rid of it. 38 special is not a great defense round, and it stung my hand too much to fire it any.
I'll take my Kimber Ultra Carry II with .45 acp over the 642.

That One Guy
January 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
I just got rid of a Taurus PT 92 in order to pick up my 1911. I probably put 3500 rounds down the barrel of that Taurus without a single missfire,jam, or problem, but after a few rounds with a Taurus 945 I knew I needed my own 45. Went with a Colt 1991A1. I only have about 80 rounds down the barrel, but I love it, not sorry to see the 9mm go at all.

McCall911
January 17, 2006, 10:52 PM
Check out that recoil spring in the .40-caliber HP! Man, is that baby stiff!

Further:

I can heartily endorse the Browning Hi Power only in 9mm, even though I can't seem to shoot them without slide bite. (Unless I position my hand in an unnatural angle, for me.) I love 'em but can't use 'em.

I can't OK the Browning Hi Power in .40 S&W for the same reason, although slide bite may not apply to you. But, really, that recoil spring is very stiff (compared to the 9mm) and very kink-able due to the lack of a guide rod. It remains to be seen, but I also wonder about the durability of this pistol because of the near-10mm power that's being squeezed from the Forty. (And I actually like the .40, but only in suitable weapons.)

Marshall
January 17, 2006, 11:26 PM
Any BHP .40S&W failures been reported, if that means anything? The gun weights 35oz to the 32oz of the 9mm, if that means anything? I have many different Browning firearm products in handgus, rifles and shotguns and haven't ever had a product failure due to the caliber of any gun they have produced, actually any product failure at all, if that means anything? Why am I posting this? I don't know, it probably means nothing?

I like the BHP 9mm better too, if that means anything?

browningguy
January 18, 2006, 12:54 AM
For me the High Power makes a better carry gun, because it happens to fit my hand well. I have a pair of MkIII's in .40 that I alternate for carrying, as well as an Inglis and a Competition model in 9mm. 10 rounds of .40, or 13-17 rounds of 9mm are about equal in my book so either is a good choice.

After many thousands of rounds down range I finally had my first High Power failure, the original sear in my Chinese contract Inglis gave up the ghost.
In my experience the High Powers are one of, if not the, most reliable pistols ever made. It's the one pistol that if necessary I would take out of the box, put it in a holster, and never worry about a "break-in".

DHart
January 18, 2006, 03:11 AM
In my experience the High Powers are one of, if not the, most reliable pistols ever made. It's the one pistol that if necessary I would take out of the box, put it in a holster, and never worry about a "break-in".

My thoughts exactly. My Browning Hi-Powers in 40 are very comfortable to shoot, accurate, and, above all, supremely reliable. (My only caveat is that they all need a proper trigger job. That done, they're amazing. Trigger jobs by Don Williams - 4.5 lbs - made my BHP's what they should be. )

gopguy
January 18, 2006, 05:50 PM
I love my 1911s in .45acp. I also love the Browning, but only in 9mm. Not fond of the .40 Browning at all......

Bartholomew Roberts
January 20, 2006, 04:50 AM
I love my Hi-Powers; but I would go .45 1911 here. The Hi-Power is a great gun and I know it well; but the 1911 has a better trigger and reset. If we were talking 9mm I might go the other way; but we aren't.

Texfire
January 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
I voted 1911 only because I personally don't care for .40. If the option had been for a BHP in 9mm, that would get my vote.

+1

Tex

JMusic
January 20, 2006, 11:17 PM
+4 BPH

If you enjoyed reading about "browning high power vs 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!