What has a study of violent crimes meant for you?

PDA

starfuryzeta
January 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
So the mayor has initiated a study (http://wokv.com/news/local/011606_murderrate.html)on "the factors involved with violent crimes will help them reduce the numbers." This is due to a recent rash of murders, which puts the 2006 rate on track with being higher than the previous few years.

For those who live in communities that have had these sort of studies done before, have they lead to changes in regards to ownership or use of firearms?

If you enjoyed reading about "What has a study of violent crimes meant for you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pilgrim
January 16, 2006, 01:08 PM
Studying the causes of crime is a pretty good way to get a grant. As a result, the causes of crime have been studied and pretty much all have been discovered. The solutions are much more elusive.

In my opinion, the solution to crime is drive the criminals out of your town and over to the next town, city, county, state, etc..

Pilgrim

rhubarb
January 16, 2006, 11:08 PM
I don't know about community-wide effects, but personally studying crime reports and research on crime rates in my county led directly to me purchasing guns and becoming licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

Standing Wolf
January 16, 2006, 11:22 PM
Studying the causes of crime is a pretty good way to get a grant. As a result, the causes of crime have been studied and pretty much all have been discovered. The solutions are much more elusive.

In my opinion, the solution to crime is drive the criminals out of your town and over to the next town, city, county, state, etc..

The root cause of crime is criminals.

The solution to the problem of crime is to lock up the criminals.

Now, was that so complicated?

HankB
January 16, 2006, 11:37 PM
Some studies are used, at least initially, to justify a call for more gun laws. Such was the case in a 20-year study of murders committed in Chicago and a comparison of the murder rates in Seattle & Vancouver.

These studies seem to have fallen out of favor since the redneck right wing reactionaries always do unpleasant things, like examine demographic breakdowns of the murder rate.

When it turns out that murders and other violent crimes are disproportionately represented in certain demographic portions of the populace, the studies simply are not talked about any more.

Preacherman
January 17, 2006, 12:17 AM
I don't know about violent crime, but I've studied violent criminals at first hand (being a chaplain in a high-security prison) for quite a while. These individuals are the best possible argument in favor of private firearms ownership!

starfuryzeta
January 17, 2006, 12:40 AM
I agree, but as the culture of the city changes to a more urban environment (at least, from my perspective), I feel that changes will want to be made to placate the populace/sheeple. I fear, one of the first things, will be anti-gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What has a study of violent crimes meant for you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!