Kahrs, Step Aside: New Sheriff in Town!

PDA

Mad Magyar
January 16, 2006, 12:40 PM
Now that I got your attention, Kahrs are great, but just to let you know about another nice compact for carry: DAEWOO DP51C...(Under $300)
After shooting the .40 and really admiring its quality and firing ability, especially in "tri-action", had to know if their 9's were up to snuff.
N.I.B., cosmoline and all, this is one "bad dude":cool:
Just a hair beyond 7", 10+1 capacity, ambi-safeties with a passive firing pin safety. The 3-dot sight gets you on target fast. The trigger guard is perfect for my off-hand forefinger hold. Don't get me started on the amazing, "Tri-Action", imagine holstering pistol with hammer down, safety on, but your first & subsequent shots are single-action. Hell, Jeff Cooper might even appreciate this "puppy".;)
A weapons intructor clued me in on these Daewoos. He was using the 9's & .40's in his classes for the past eight years, never failed him, and his students kept wanting to buy/steal them from him.:evil:
Now if they only made a .45?:uhoh:
http://tinypic.com/kcgpj9.jpg
On the Range: These BG's no match for the Korean Nightmare!:D
http://tinypic.com/kch2jm.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahrs, Step Aside: New Sheriff in Town!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DirksterG30
January 16, 2006, 05:24 PM
Mad Magyar,

How does the size (width & height) & weight compare to Kahr?

1 old 0311
January 16, 2006, 05:30 PM
Looks good. Daywoo's have always built pretty good guns, they just never seemed to 'catch on.' Maybe because they make cars, TV's, radios, and a load more stuff that they didn't market their firearms as much?

Kevin

MCgunner
January 16, 2006, 05:51 PM
Sorta looks a little like a 3913. Nice.

Mad Magyar
January 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
Dirkster, using the K9 for comparison. Not sure what the price range is for Kahrs...Hope this helps...

DAEWOO DP51C vs KAHR K9

Length: 7.2 to 6.0
Height: 4.8 to 4.5"
Barrel: 3.7 to 3.5"
Weight: 26oz to 25oz
Sights: Fixed: 3-Dot vs. Drift Adj: White Bar dot
Magazine: 10 to 7
Firing Mode: SA,DA,"Fast Action" vs. DA

denfoote
January 16, 2006, 08:02 PM
Very nice but I ain't gunna trade my Kahr in on one!!!

oneslowgun
January 17, 2006, 03:19 AM
I would like to try one of these out, if I could find someone near me (Central OH) who had one. I'm not much of a .40 fan, so I tend to just 9mm, or .45, and that looks like a slick compact 9mm. I have been wanting to try out that "tri-Action" for some time.

Man, I wish I had enough money to at least "buy to try" all the firearms that I have seen that caught my eye. :D Of course, even if I did have that kind of money, I would probably go broke buying ammo!:eek:

Shear_stress
January 17, 2006, 11:06 AM
I've run a few rounds through a friend's DP51 and really enjoyed it. By all accounts it is a great gun.

On the other hand, the comparison to a single stack, "DAO" (actually a partially-cocked striker) pistol is an odd one. The Kahr is designed for concealed carry while the Daewoo DP51C, though a compact, is a scaled down sevice piece. Consequently the Kahr is slim (slide width of 0.90"), has no hammer or external controls, and is free of sharp surfaces that can snag when the piece is drawn. Note also, that despite the similar barrel lengths, the Daewoo is still an inch longer. I am glad you are happy with your gun, but why not compare the Daewoo to something like a CZ P-01?

The Real Hawkeye
January 17, 2006, 12:06 PM
I've run a few rounds through a friend's DP51 and really enjoyed it. By all accounts it is a great gun.

On the other hand, the comparison to a single stack, "DAO" (actually a partially-cocked striker) pistol is an odd one. The Kahr is designed for concealed carry while the Daewoo DP51C, though a compact, is a scaled down sevice piece. Consequently the Kahr is slim (slide width of 0.90"), has no hammer or external controls, and is free of sharp surfaces that can snag when the piece is drawn. Note also, that despite the similar barrel lengths, the Daewoo is still an inch longer. I am glad you are happy with your gun, but why not compare the Daewoo to something like a CZ P-01?I agree. I think the Daewoo is probably a fine gun, and is inovative in its own way, but it really is not comparable to a Kahr P9, which weighs in at around 17 oz, and is a lot slimmer and more ergonomic.

Mad Magyar
January 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
Sounds good to me on using a different comparison. Can someone post a CZ P-01? Like to know more about them or something similar to my Daewoo compact.
Thanks...

Shear_stress
January 17, 2006, 03:27 PM
Here's a link to the CZ P-01 on CZ USA's website. As a shortened version of the CZ-75BD (albeit with a forged Al frame with integral rail), the P-01 is pretty comparable to the Daewoo. Size and weight are very similar.

I've got a P-01 and I love it.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=28

Also check out the CZ-75 Compact. Pretty much the same idea as the P-01, but less feature intensive.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=36

Janitor
January 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
P-01 (custom grips though) :

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/Get-a-grip/ivory_needlewood_03.sized.jpg

bulbboy
January 17, 2006, 05:01 PM
VERY NICE GRIPS!! Where did you get those??

Janitor
January 17, 2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks much.

They were made by THR user Omega. The wood is Australian Ivory Needlewood.

Double Naught Spy
January 17, 2006, 08:36 PM
The Daewoo has cheap cost, but it is about the same as an Officer's or Concealed Carry Officer's 1911.

It is interesting that it is compared against the largest Kahr. One of the cool aspects of Kahrs is their subcompact line that is much smaller.

A weapons intructor clued me in on these Daewoos. He was using the 9's & .40's in his classes for the past eight years, never failed him, and his students kept wanting to buy/steal them from him.

If the guns were that good and that cheap, I am surprised they aren't being sold as fast as they can be imported.

bulbboy
January 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks much.

They were made by THR user Omega. The wood is Australian Ivory Needlewood.

Does he have a website?

orionengnr
January 17, 2006, 08:57 PM
Not.:rolleyes:

Can that thing fit in your front jeans pocket, undetected?
Is it as light and small as an aluminum j-frame S&W?

(The Emperor...has...NO CLOTHES!!!)

Next. :neener:

albanian
January 17, 2006, 09:08 PM
"On the other hand, the comparison to a single stack, "DAO" (actually a partially-cocked striker) pistol is an odd one. The Kahr is designed for concealed carry while the Daewoo DP51C, though a compact, is a scaled down sevice piece. Consequently the Kahr is slim (slide width of 0.90"), has no hammer or external controls, and is free of sharp surfaces that can snag when the piece is drawn. Note also, that despite the similar barrel lengths, the Daewoo is still an inch longer. I am glad you are happy with your gun, but why not compare the Daewoo to something like a CZ P-01?"

Glad someone said this before I had to. If you try and compare the Daewoo to a Kahr you are going to lose. The Kahr is much smaller and easier to CCW. Compare the Daewoo to something it is not something it is not.

I think it looks like a S&W 6906. I would be interested to see how it stacks up against that or a Compact CZ or something that is more in it's class size wise. The compact S&Ws and a CZs are good guns and they have a loyal following for good reasons. The Daewoo has a long row to hoe before it can be seriously considered to be in their company.

Check back with us in 15 years and if the Daewood has proven itself by then, maybe I will check one out. I buy American when I can so I see no need to rush out and buy a Daewoo.

Marnoot
January 17, 2006, 09:47 PM
Does he have a website?http://www.czgrips.us

scubie02
January 17, 2006, 10:02 PM
"looks like there's a new shepherd in town..."

Janitor
January 18, 2006, 09:18 AM
Does he have a website?http://www.czgrips.us
Oops missed the question bulboy sorry. Looks like Marnoot handily took care of it though. Good deal.

Yea, Sam (Omega) is one hec of a nice guy, and manages to get his hands on some pretty outrageous woods. Rather than muck up this Daewoo thread with yet another of my photos, here's a couple closeups of the grain on some Omega grips -

On my 75B: http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/Get-a-grip/australian_silky_oak_05?full=1

The Ivory Needlewood above:http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/Get-a-grip/ivory_needlewood_05?full=1

Unfortunately, the photos don't really do the wood justice.

---
Back to the Daewoo - yea. I agree with everyone that has said that the Kahr is not the right gun to compare this too. Not at all. The single stack Kahrs are in that group of pistols that are the last word in concealability for a 9mm.

Soon as you add the double stack grip, things change. Yea - you got more rounds. But you've also got a lot more trouble hiding the thing. At least in summer. Still doable, but not nearly as simple an issue.

The P-01 or something in that class is arguably a much better comparison.

unspellable
January 18, 2006, 09:43 AM
I have one in 9 mm and one in 40 S&W. I consider it a very good pistol but have to side with those who view it as a service pistol rather tha a deep concealment pistol. As for capacity, I have all pre-ban high capacity magazines that hold MORE than 10 rounds.

The tri-action, when carried cocked with hammer down is not half cocked like a Glock, it's fully cocked, a very light trigger pull raises the hammer up to engage with the rest of the works. You can double tap a single round if it doesn't go the first time. (Anybody ever actually have a centerfire cartrdige go on the second whack?)

They DID sell all they imported. The rub is that not that many were imported for two reasons. One is that Daewoo landed the South Korean military contract which kept the production line busy for a while. The other was that they went through some serious financial problems that halted production for a time. Remember they have their fingers in many pies, cars, TVs, computer monitors, you name it. The firearms line is a very small fraction of the enterprise, so they can get into financial toruble even with the firearms business going full tilt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahrs, Step Aside: New Sheriff in Town!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!