If I want a small light weight 9mm....

PDA

ezypikns
January 17, 2006, 01:02 AM
for personal defense, I think my choices are pretty much a Glock, an XD, or maybe a Kahr. It should be as reliable as possible, and fairly easy to carry. I'm just wondering if I've missed something.

Opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "If I want a small light weight 9mm...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TC-TX
January 17, 2006, 01:04 AM
Do yourself a BIG favor and consider the Taurus PT111... Hi Capacity, Lightweight, Great Shooter and Great Price!

How can you go wrong?

atblis
January 17, 2006, 01:08 AM
CZ
The Kahrs look really really interesting though. I am a CZ nut, and the Kahrs have me taking a really good look at them.

oneslowgun
January 17, 2006, 01:21 AM
Depending on your definition of "light", I have found that the CZ P-01 is a real fine pistol. Also, while I haven't had a chance yet to try out a CZ RAMI, I have heard good things about this little "Pocket Rocket".

Just as a side note, "Light Weight" dosen't really seem to be a factor if you go with high end leather. The "fit" of your holster makes a real differance on perceived weight of the piece.

Of course, YMMV, and this is only MY opinion.:scrutiny:

Steelharp
January 17, 2006, 01:30 AM
My personal experience only... the Kahr's I've had should have been spelled C-R-A-P. I know that isn't the case for everyone, probably for a limited few... but I'll never own another one.

Lonestar.45
January 17, 2006, 01:34 AM
The Rohrbaughs have intrigued me, except for the price.

I've got a Kahr PM9 less than 6 mos old, and I've been happy with it. No malfunctions, 400 rds and counting.

grimjaw
January 17, 2006, 01:59 AM
the Kahr's I've had should have been spelled C-R-A-P

I've had the opposite experience, and have even considered getting another one. K9 works for me perfectly. I'm not interested in their polymer line, though.

CZ P-01 is another interesting one, but I haven't been able to shoot or handle one.

Steyr S9 or M9.

Walther P99, but definitely handle one before buying. They're different.

jmm

Croyance
January 17, 2006, 02:46 AM
When I was in a similar situation, the only choises you listed that were availible were the Kahr and the Glock. For various reasons, I chose the Kahr and have been very happy.

For what its worth, if possible I choose to wear a little more and conceal a Commander sized 1911 or a Browning HiPower. If I could find one at a reasonable price, a S&W 39 series would be nice, that single stack frame probably lie pretty flat.

thepanda
January 17, 2006, 03:05 AM
I'd have to agree with the CZs and would also suggest a Beretta Cougar. The Mini Cougars and Cougar L are both a good size for carry, are infinitely reliable, and come chambered in a multitude of options (.357, .40, .45, 9mm). My pick would be the Cougar L because it's grip falls right between that of a full size and a mini, is slimmer than a full size Cougar, has a good defense capacity (13 rounds of 9mm ammunition), and I just bought one. :rolleyes:

The-Fly
January 17, 2006, 03:18 AM
while its not super light, the G26 is a great carry gun. 11+1 rounds using a pierce finger extension, highly accurate and low recoil.

oneslowgun
January 17, 2006, 03:31 AM
Dangit Panda, I have been trying to find a Couger L to try out for a while now. Why do all you guys keep teasing me with pistols I cant get ahold of?;) Next I suppose someone is gonna say they have a Taurus .410 revolver. :banghead: :D

You guys are killin' me!:)

thepanda
January 17, 2006, 03:41 AM
Dangit Panda, I have been trying to find a Couger L to try out for a while now. Why do all you guys keep teasing me with pistols I cant get ahold of?;) Next I suppose someone is gonna say they have a Taurus .410 revolver. :banghead: :D

You guys are killin' me!:)

There was one on Gunbroker for quite a while going for $399, but it was finally sold a few days ago. I got a great deal on one with 2 10 round mags and 3 13 rounds mags the other day from a private seller on the Beretta forums. If I happen to come across another one I'll send you a PM.

DunedinDragon
January 17, 2006, 09:03 AM
Do yourself a BIG favor and consider the Taurus PT111... Hi Capacity, Lightweight, Great Shooter and Great Price!

How can you go wrong?

Totally agree on the PT111. It's probably one of the best values out there in a small profile 9mm with LOTS of features and a great finish. The biggest thing you have to deal with on the PT111 is the long trigger pull, which will be the same on the Kahrs and other DA pistols. If that trigger pull seems to long for you then you might want to go with the Glock or XD. They're DA as well, but they don't feel like it as much.

As for me, the long pull on the PT111 wasn't really that much of a problem because it's very smooth and I'm easily able to hold my sight picture through the pull. I also take solace in the fact that if I'm ever placed into a situation where I have to use it, the longer trigger pull will give me that much more of a moment to consider the action I'm about to take, and potentially back off if necessary. That would be MUCH harder on a Glock or XD. I still carry my Glock 19 on colder days, but on warmer days with less clothes I prefer the PT111.

MCgunner
January 17, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'll stick with my 14 ounce +P capable Kel Tec P11. I shoot it well, it's flawless and accurate. It combines up to 13 rounds of Cor Bon in a tiny little gun for under $300. It's hard to beat. I like the revolver like long DA trigger for CCW carry, too. I don't like the SA like "safe actions" or the Kahr. I have no experience with Taurus's autos. I think I'd want a Kel Tec in preference to a Taurus, though, just because of the factory response. I've heard bad things about Taurus and only good things about Kel Tec as far as servicing the weapons.

For those who cannot shoot DA revolvers and will not learn, the Kahr and Glock are probably a better choice. I don't like carrying a gun with that light of a trigger and no safeties. I want a real DA trigger, not a 6 lb one with a pull length that resembles a SA with a lot of creep. I think of my little P11 as a flat, light weight, accurate, reliable, easier to carry J frame concealed hammer that shoots a load with snubby .357 ballistics with a lot less flash/bang. It is easier to load than a revolver and carries a lot more ammo on board. It's my favorite carry gun.

armoredman
January 17, 2006, 10:22 AM
CZ PO1. I carry one all day in an IWB rig in AZ heat, no problem. The CZ 2075 RAMI is also a good light small pistol, and my wife loves hers.

BillinNH
January 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
I agree with Mcgunner's assessment of the Kel-Tec P-11. For me, it is the best compromise of all the qualities that I want in a carry gun. I've had mine since 1998 and have not yet seen anything I would trade it for, for its intended purpose.

Bill

wally
January 17, 2006, 11:25 AM
CZ
The Kahrs look really really interesting though. I am a CZ nut, and the Kahrs have me taking a really good look at them.

The new CZ polymer RAMI might be just what you are looking for. It'll do cocked and locked or DA/SA hammer down carry. Its noticably lighter, and thinner in the grip than the standard RAMI.

The Taurus PT111 is IMHO a very good value and if you like DA revolvers its a good choice but its trigger is not as good as most S&W J-frames.
The Kahr trigger is to me much better than the PT111 or Glock.

The Kel-Tec P11 trigger needs help. Is the P11 "drop-safe"? I'd heard it doesn't pass the CA or MA tests, not that these were designed to help gun owners, but they seem a reasonable starting point for a feature I do like on a carry gun -- it should not discharge if dropped from a reasonable height.

--wally.

quiettype
January 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
The hard to find Colt Pocketnine.16 ounces unloaded,aluminum alloy frame with a stainless slide.

The Real Hawkeye
January 17, 2006, 11:55 AM
for personal defense, I think my choices are pretty much a Glock, an XD, or maybe a Kahr. It should be as reliable as possible, and fairly easy to carry. I'm just wondering if I've missed something.

Opinions?Go with the Kahr. I've had a P9 since they first came out. Super ergonomics, and after many thousands of rounds not a single malfunction, regardless of ammo type. Eventually, a small plastic part did break, but the gun continued to function flawlessly, even with the part breakage. Since I bought my gun, they started using a steel part instead of plastic, so when I sent it back to them for repair, they retrofitted the steel part on mine and sent it back within a week. Still 100% reliable, and now more durable to boot. Cannot recommend it more highly.

Brian Williams
January 17, 2006, 02:23 PM
Keltec p-11 good gun

S&W620
January 17, 2006, 02:35 PM
Many people don't like them, but Glock makes a very nice 9mm.

000Buck
January 17, 2006, 02:35 PM
I just got a Kahr PM9 last week and fired just short of 200 rounds through it with NO problems. I know others have had problems, but I love this one, it is super tiny for a 9mm and has a great trigger for being so long. Much smaller than a G26, which I love as well, but the G26 is just a bit too big to carry in my front pocket.

Rock45
January 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
I have to second the Walther...or, more accurately, the new Smith SW99OL.
I have had the full size Walther P99 for way over a year, very impressed...just bought the downsized version ( the S & W ) and will get it to the range very soon for trials...but impressed with the feel of it!

Bryan

MattB
January 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
Another vote for the SW990L. A very nice gun.

Northslope Nimrod
January 17, 2006, 05:57 PM
CZ PCR

Erich
January 17, 2006, 06:02 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/Erich505/RohrbaughGrandmaGadoTday1Dec5007.jpg

I like the Rohrbaugh's weight (lighter than any Kahr), size (smaller than any Kahr - about the same size as the Intratec Pro-Tec 25 that I had in the early '90s), and second-strike capability. It cannot use 9mm +P or +P+ ammo, but I can live with that. Personally, I prefer a heel-release mag in a pocket pistol - this is the pocket nine that I chose. :)

jeepmor
January 17, 2006, 06:12 PM
I like the Taurus. I bought myself a PT145 about 4-5 months ago and have ~750 round through it without issue. I liked it so much that I bought my wife a PT111 in stainless because she stated the 45 kicked a bit much for her. I don't feel much difference myself, but don't tell her that. No issues with it at 200+ rounds through it.

If you want even lighter, there is the titanium PT111 in 9mm. At 17ounces unloaded, it is quite easy to pack around all day. I handled one when I picked up my PT145 from my FFL contact. Felt nice, but smaller grip than 45 model, finish was nice, same as the non-titanium models, but lighter. Looks like a stainless gun because titanium is sort of aluminum colored.

Good value gun in my opinion. I've read stories of the early models cracking, but that appears to have been addressed in newer models, so don't buy the older ones. Only other compact I see myself with in the near future is a compact.

I can't comment on the CZ or EAA line, but I am looking at them and have handled a few. Nice fit in my hand, but my hands prefer a larger frame over a smaller one.

jeepmor

sgb
January 17, 2006, 06:23 PM
Lots of used LE trade in S&W 9mm running around and a 3953 sounds like it fits your bill.

Fun2Shoot
January 17, 2006, 06:39 PM
I recently revised my CCW choice to a 9mm. I had chosen between my Bersa Thunder.380 and my S&W snubby mod #642 .38 +P rated. I decided that .380 was under powered and a 5-shot revolver was just not enough capacity. Both are fine guns though.

My new CCW is the SA XD-9 sub-compact (3" barrel)

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-sub-compact.shtml

I chose it over a Sig P239 and the Kahr PM9 as the nearest competitors.

http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicpersonalsize-models.asp?product_id=43

http://www.kahr.com/pistols_9mm.html

The XD-9 is light at 20.5oz w/o mag. Has 10 rds mags. Is OK w/+P 9mm. Is much less expensive that the other two I looked at. I have shot over 1K rds with my XD-9 service 4" with perfect reliability to date. Same goes for the new Sub XD as of my early use. The sub XD is slightly larger than the Kahr and slightly smaller than the Sig.

The Kahr PM9 was about $650 at Gander Mt. and the Sig P239 goes for about $700+ in LGS's. My nib XD-9 w/3 mags ( 2-10's and 1-15 rd) plus XD OWB holster was just under $500 and you can find better than that if you look longer for a sale.

Good luck in your search. Hunting for the right gun is a joy in itself, IMO :)

orionengnr
January 17, 2006, 09:49 PM
May buy a Rohrbaugh when I hit the lottery:rolleyes:

In the meantime, Kahr PM9 has got my vote...(and my money)

TheFork
January 17, 2006, 09:58 PM
glock 19 is the best small 9mm made or if you want the ultimate get a P2000sk by HK.

KONY
January 17, 2006, 10:18 PM
Totally agree on the PT111. It's probably one of the best values out there in a small profile 9mm with LOTS of features and a great finish. The biggest thing you have to deal with on the PT111 is the long trigger pull, which will be the same on the Kahrs and other DA pistols. If that trigger pull seems to long for you then you might want to go with the Glock or XD. They're DA as well, but they don't feel like it as much.

As for me, the long pull on the PT111 wasn't really that much of a problem because it's very smooth and I'm easily able to hold my sight picture through the pull. I also take solace in the fact that if I'm ever placed into a situation where I have to use it, the longer trigger pull will give me that much more of a moment to consider the action I'm about to take, and potentially back off if necessary. That would be MUCH harder on a Glock or XD. I still carry my Glock 19 on colder days, but on warmer days with less clothes I prefer the PT111.

Ditto! :)

Jkwas
January 17, 2006, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunedinDragon

Ditto!

Double Ditto! My wife adopted ours, so I might buy another one for myself!

carebear
January 18, 2006, 05:10 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/Erich505/RohrbaughGrandmaGadoTday1Dec5007.jpg

I like the Rohrbaugh's weight (lighter than any Kahr), size (smaller than any Kahr - about the same size as the Intratec Pro-Tec 25 that I had in the early '90s), and second-strike capability. It cannot use 9mm +P or +P+ ammo, but I can live with that. Personally, I prefer a heel-release mag in a pocket pistol - this is the pocket nine that I chose. :)

Pennies of skateboard tape on a $600 pistol.

Checker that bad boy. :D

Manedwolf
January 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
glock 19 is the best small 9mm made or if you want the ultimate get a P2000sk by HK.

The problem I find with the Glocks is that they're too chunky for good CC by a lot of people of slender build. Especially if you wear a tapered-cut shirt, you're going to have a visible object at your waist under the shirt.

Look at the width of a Glock next to a Kahr PM9 or CW9 or the like, the latter of which is only .9"!

That, and the grip designs of Glocks just don't work for some people. I'm not sure why, but I can comfortably hold and shoot something as tiny as Beretta 950, but I just can't deal with the small Glock ergonomics and can't find a comfortable grip on the things.

The Real Hawkeye
January 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
The problem I find with the Glocks is that they're too chunky for good CC by a lot of people of slender build. Especially if you wear a tapered-cut shirt, you're going to have a visible object at your waist under the shirt.

Look at the width of a Glock next to a Kahr PM9 or CW9 or the like, the latter of which is only .9"!

That, and the grip designs of Glocks just don't work for some people. I'm not sure why, but I can comfortably hold and shoot something as tiny as Beretta 950, but I just can't deal with the small Glock ergonomics and can't find a comfortable grip on the things.Exactly right.

Bobo
January 18, 2006, 04:23 PM
A couple more options:
Kel-Tec P-11 http://www.kel-tec.com/prod01.htm
Skyy CPX-1 http://www.skyyindustries.com

albanian
January 18, 2006, 04:53 PM
I would steer clear of the plastic Kahrs and all the Kel-Tecs. Glock, XD and the all steel Kahrs are all very fine guns. Also you might want to consider a S&W 3913 or similar. My 3913 weighs about the same as my Kahr K-9 and is only a little larger in all dimensions but cost me about half as much. It like all S&W autos, is 100% reliable. The 6906 is another good one that is a double stack mag, they can be found in the surplus market for about $300 if you look.

The Kahr would be my first choice and I carry a K-9 when I can. A S&W 642 when the K-9 is hard to pack.

Dragun
January 18, 2006, 05:44 PM
small + lightweight + 9mm ( + how about extra capicity) can't beat a Kel-Tec P-11. stock capicity is 10 + 1, but i also have 2 stainless S&W 5900 mags (15rd.) for mine. yea, they stick out the bottom a little:D

brickboy240
January 18, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'd go with the XD subcompact. I have a fullsize XD-40 and can't kill it. I have tried...but it simply keeps on ticking.

Wondering how durable the XD really is? Have you heard the Glock guys say its not as tough as a Glock? This test is old, but I doubt you'll ever get close to the abuse this XD-9 saw: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

Get the XD...you won't be sorry.

- Brickboy240

MCgunner
January 18, 2006, 06:31 PM
small + lightweight + 9mm ( + how about extra capicity) can't beat a Kel-Tec P-11. stock capicity is 10 + 1, but i also have 2 stainless S&W 5900 mags (15rd.) for mine. yea, they stick out the bottom a little:D

There's a 12 rounder factory (Mec Gar) available now that's flush fitting. I bought aftermarket 5900 S&W mags that didn't work worth a flip, wouldn't latch and retain. I understand from others that S&W mags will work, but at the time, after the ban, those aftermarket junk mags were all I could find. I gave up on the idea. I mean, If I can't hit the guy in 11 rounds as accurate as that gun is, I deserve to be shot.:rolleyes:

I like the S&W 3913, accurate, reliable, and danged sexy. It weighs too much, though. It's very flat and easy to conceal, just that a gun that heavy tugs on the belt after a while. It's at the upper limit of weight that I can tolerate for all day. That's why I like the high tech, light weight polymer Kel Tec. It just works better for me. I can wear it all day long and never be bothered. It's always there and ready, been so for near a decade. I've fired a lot of rounds though it and it never bobbles and shoots where I look.

Erich
January 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
Carebear - $900 pistol! :)

I think there might be anodizing issues with checkering it. Anyway, Eric Rohrbaugh shot mine and - while he was appalled that I put skate tape in the carbon fibre stocks - he liked how it shot! :neener:

carebear
January 19, 2006, 03:03 AM
Carebear - $900 pistol! :)

I think there might be anodizing issues with checkering it. Anyway, Eric Rohrbaugh shot mine and - while he was appalled that I put skate tape in the carbon fibre stocks - he liked how it shot! :neener:

Hard to beat that for a kudo. I checkered my Colt LW Commander and I've not noticed any issues. Course I only paid $450 for it new. :evil:

3rdpig
January 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
My first choice is a Glock 26 but I have no problems with the Kel-Tecs, I own a P40, P11 and P32, just prefer the Glock for EDC and consider the G26 the best full power (which to me means 9x19 or better) carry gun I've owned or tried, and I've tried a bunch in the last 27 years of daily carry. It's as reliable as it's larger brothers, can use the full length magazines, is easy to shoot and quite accurate. The Glocks also have a low incidence of parts breakage compared to some other lightweight, full power pistols. Holsters, mag carriers and other accessories abound and factory mags are cheap. Also, the finish is very tough, rusting is almost nonexistant and the gun requires very little in the way of care. Since less oil is better for a Glock there's very little oil in or on the surface of the gun to retain dust and dirt. I'm 6'4" and 230 so I could conceal any gun I wanted to, but the little sub Glock just pops into a kydex IWB holster and disappears. And for some reason the subcompact Glocks fit my big hand better than the compacts. I've been carrying mine daily for a year now and wouldn't go back to any previous carry gun unless I felt the need for a full sized service pistol. No matter what you think about polymer guns or Glocks if you carry a gun daily and are unsatisfied with your current carry gun, or are looking to start carrying daily, the Glock 26 is worth a good look, it's really a sweet carry piece.

ezypikns
January 20, 2006, 01:09 AM
I bought a Kahr PM9. Great pistol. Surprisingly accurate for such a little thing, and ultra concealable. Thanks to all. I value your opinions.

MrMex
January 20, 2006, 04:17 AM
For the money, the p11 keltec is a great buy! I dont leave home without it:) !

Mad Chemist
January 20, 2006, 05:06 AM

I'm getting my first G19 this Sat.:D :D :D

MCgunner
January 20, 2006, 09:15 AM
I think the 19 is a perfect size for a Glock. The little 26 is awful heavy for its size. The 19 is still quite compact, hides IWB with only a little more bulge, isn't a whole lot heavier. The 26 is a fine piece, just I think I'd go with a 19 if I got a Glock. I don't own a Glock, don't like the triggers for carry, but they sure are accurate and very popular to shoot IDPA with. I've thought about it for that reason, games. The trigger about as easy to shoot as a single action, really feels like a single action that's a little mushy, and no safeties to mess with on the draw. That makes 'em fast and precise for a game gun.

Erich
January 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
ezypikns, thanks for the update! Use it in good health! :)

Dollar An Hour
January 20, 2006, 11:39 AM
I bought a Kahr PM9. Great pistol. Surprisingly accurate for such a little thing, and ultra concealable. Thanks to all. I value your opinions.

Congrats! I'm looking for a small DAO 9mm as well, I think it's coming down to the PM/MK9 Kahr, Taurus PT-111, and Kel-Tec P-11. I've always liked the feel and thin width of the Kahrs, but they're pricey.

MCgunner
January 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats! I'm looking for a small DAO 9mm as well, I think it's coming down to the PM/MK9 Kahr, Taurus PT-111, and Kel-Tec P-11. I've always liked the feel and thin width of the Kahrs, but they're pricey.

The Kel Tec is under an inch in width. Not sure about the Taurus. Someone said the Kahr was .9" wide? That's about the same as the double stack P11. Any of these guns are easy to hide IWB, though. I don't know if any of 'em is a bad gun, just that some uses a different trigger system. Some like the light, short throw triggers. I prefer longer throw revolver like triggers. Of course, there are those who will have nothing to do with DA or DAO or anything not based on the 1911. Different strokes for different folks. It is good to have options.

SHavis
January 23, 2006, 08:58 PM
Another vote for the Kahr PM9. I'm letting go of a couple of other semiautos because, well, I just like the PM9 better.

SHavis
January 23, 2006, 08:58 PM
Another vote for the Kahr PM9. I'm letting go of a couple of other semiautos because, well, I just like the PM9 better.

mlgar71
January 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
I agree with TC-TX. I have Taurus PT111ti, very lght and dependable. I have put over 700 rounds thru it with NO jams or hic-ups..:rolleyes:

Inline_6
January 25, 2006, 08:54 PM
HK P2000SK

jeremywills
January 26, 2006, 01:35 AM
My pt111 SS has well over 1500 rounds, probably more I have basically stopped keeping count and its been rock solid from day one, not a single hiccup yet. FWIW I have gotten my less than 300 dollars worth. The Kel Tec and Kahrs were also very close considerations. Personally liked the Thumb safety of the Millenium, its right where it should be, operates much like a 1911 and being that I was initally taught on a 1911 style pistol, that thumb is almost automatic for me. Yes, I know redundant for a DAO gun, but hey, you have to choose what works best for you.

I still like the Kahr and the G26 was also a potential contender, either is probably one of the next pistols I consider if I ever buy another. I think the Kahr will be a little easier to conceal and carry. I passed on the Kel Tec, just IMHO not worth the time or consideration. A buddy of mine does have a Sig 239, great gun, I shoot it well, but for me it just feels too big and heavy for CCW, thats me though, YMMV.

MR.G
January 26, 2006, 12:07 PM
The Kel-Tec P-11 holds 13 rounds, will handle +P, and fits in your pocket. Mine has been very reliable.

gt3944
January 26, 2006, 12:10 PM

How can you go wrong?

I agree, I want a lightweight and most of all reliable 9mm go with the PT111, you wont be dissapointed..for the price

jeremywills
January 26, 2006, 01:27 PM
+1, its just a tad bigger than the keltec p11, both would be fine given thier price point is about the same more or less

Greg Bell
January 26, 2006, 11:31 PM
Yet another vote for the PM9!:D Mine has been 100% since day one. I keep it loaded with Gold Dot +p and it is pretty damn accurate with that load.

shep854
January 26, 2006, 11:55 PM
Another vote for the P11. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.

All the "micro-9s" are good guns. My first choice would have been the Kahr CW9 (polymer-frame), but it's pricey and hard to find. I bought a Kel-Tec P11, which has been a great shooter through nearly 1000 rounds. The light weight and long trigger take work, but it's worth it. The only problem I've had was some failures to feed, but that seemed to be caused by relaxing my grip. Even then, a touch on the slide chambered the round. FWIW, it also has a repeat-strike capability.

I carry it very comfortably in my front pocket.

5string_dean
January 27, 2006, 01:09 AM
I really do like my Kel-Tec P11.... it's small, light, hold's up to 13 rounds, surprisingly accurate (given the looong trigger and shooort barrel) and cheap (paid $205 for mine new). About the only thing that might get me to trade it in would be if Kel-Tec comes out with the long-rumoured Kel-Tec single stack 9. I know I'd be giving up a few rounds, but a slimmer gun could just dissappear!

Nematocyst
January 27, 2006, 05:10 AM
My main handgun is my K9.

It's reliable (several hundred rnds without a hickup).

It feels good in my hand: solid, great fit, smooth.

YMMV.

My other handgun is a SW 642,
but it recoils more.

If I had only one, it'd be my K9.
(Got the 642 for concealment purposes.)

Nem

Rmacin247
January 27, 2006, 07:16 AM
I love my walther P99 AS as it fires great, feels comfortable, 1k plus rounds with no misfire and it looks badass. http://photos-725.facebook.com/n10/188/11/42003904/n42003904_30057725_8872.jpg
http://photos-714.facebook.com/n10/188/11/42003904/n42003904_30057714_5579.jpg

Dr_2_B
January 27, 2006, 09:45 AM
Kel-tec P-11. When looking at pocket concealment, the slightly tapered nose and the small size of the grip seem to make it the best design for getting the most power and capacity into the smallest dimensions. It just seems that they've carved off every unnecessary millimeter.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34609&stc=1&d=1138373017

shep854
January 27, 2006, 10:12 AM
Matheath, is that skateboard tape on your pistol? It looks very neat. Does it get uncomfortable during extended shooting?

apowell
January 31, 2006, 08:00 PM
There is a little 9mm Bersa listed for sale on this forum:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=179238

Disclaimer: It is my Mom selling it, but it is a nice little gun that has been shot very little.

albanian
January 31, 2006, 09:02 PM
I think the Kahr K-9 is the best in that catagory. You can't go wrong with a Glock or a SA XD-9 but they are larger than the Kahr. Don't forget the S&W autos. The 3913 can be found at good prices and it is still a first class pistol!

CajunBass
January 31, 2006, 09:11 PM
Add one more vote for the Kel-Tec, P-11. It carries in a jacket pocket just fine.

MCgunner
January 31, 2006, 10:29 PM
Kel-tec P-11. When looking at pocket concealment, the slightly tapered nose and the small size of the grip seem to make it the best design for getting the most power and capacity into the smallest dimensions. It just seems that they've carved off every unnecessary millimeter.

I put the magazine finger extention on my primary magazine and a Hogue Handall finger groove grip thing on it. Since I don't pocket carry the gun, it makes the thing handle like a service size gun. Doesn't do anything for the short sight radius, of course, but that's the price you pay for compact concealment. I carry mine IWB in a Rosen Workman tuckable holster. I feel quite well armed with this little cannon. ;) I COULD carry it in a front slacks pocket. I've got slacks I bought for the big front pockets. I REALLY like 'em when they have two front pockets one on top of the other. That's pretty cool, almost like having a gun pocket built in. But, I'm normally in jeans. If I pocket carried mine, I'd stick one of my spare mags in it without the finger extention, but I think I'd leave the Handall on it even though it'd be better set up like yours for pocket carry.

dkochan
February 1, 2006, 12:04 AM
I have a Kahr P9, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, Kel-Tec P11 and Rohrbaugh R9. All of these guns are small, light-weight 9mm pistols. I find the Glock 26 to be most the blocky and least concealable of this bunch because it is the thickest. However, if I can conceal the 26 I will carry the 26 because I shoot the fastest with the 26. If I had to choose only one of these of these guns, I would go for the PM9 because it is the smallest of the five that can shoot +P rounds and can have night sights. Besides, the Kahrs have really smooth DAO triggers. The P11 has the worst trigger of the bunch but is the most affordable.

If you enjoyed reading about "If I want a small light weight 9mm...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!