Case deformities with 300WSM

PDA

JSV69
January 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
I have a friend who recently purchased a Remmington 700 in 300 WSM. He is considering reloading this caliber due to the costly price of the round but the fired cases look to be swelling and stretching to the point where they don't appear safe. I have seen cases swell and stretch in my time but nothing like this.The ammo he is using is factory Winchester Supremes but I'm not sure of the Bullet weight. 150 grain I think. I recall seeing an article some years back that explained the reason for the belt on magnum calibers. Is this deforming of the brass typical on these chamberings without the belt or could he have a chamber that is slightly out of specification? The rifle functions fine but is nothing to brag about accuracy wise. I personally have no use for somthing this big but he likes the big boom and concussion. If anyone has any ideas please reply.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Case deformities with 300WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steve4102
January 17, 2006, 07:46 PM
Got any pictures of these cases???

dakotasin
January 17, 2006, 10:26 PM
no, it is not normal. my 300 wsm burps reloadable brass.

the 300 wsm is a very high pressure cartridge, though, so if there are flaws w/ the chamber, bolt, or whatever, it will show up fast in this chambering.

hairtrigger25
January 17, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have not had any problems with deforming of brass, and mine shoots very good groups. I am shooting a Browning A-bolt.

scotty
January 18, 2006, 01:25 AM
Steve4102 asked the right question.

I also have a Browning A-bolt in 300WSM. While this is not a rifle I fire frequently, my now twice fired brass looks just fine.

JSV69
January 18, 2006, 09:02 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input on the case problem. I will try to get a postable picture of the cases for your examination. I tried to explain that this deforming didn't seem normal to my buddy but neither he or I are really familiar with these new short magnum calibers we are old school I guess. The rifle that is producing these cases is one of the new extreme conditions 700 Remmingtons in a stainless and he paid considerable for it. For the guys that have the Browning rifles What kind of groups are you getting at say 100 yards and what kinds of ammo are you having the best luck with so I can pass this along to my buddy. Thanks again for the replys to my queastion. JSV69

superhornet
January 18, 2006, 09:48 AM
Shooting the 300WSM out of a Savage. No problems with brass and this cartridge is easy to reload. Like the others I would like to see the pictures of the brass from the Remington. Hand loading the 180 grain Accubond over a charge or W760 has accounted for 6 white tail, one elk and one buffaloe...it works........very accurate rifle...

If you enjoyed reading about "Case deformities with 300WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!