357 Sig ordered wrong bullets, will they work?

PDA

JSM
January 17, 2006, 10:41 AM
I orderded and received Rainer 124 grn. RN's. Meant to order the FN. Now I've got them and don't want to pay the shipping to return them. Does anyone have experience shooting these in an autoloader? Can I expect difficulties with the points getting caught and jamming? I've got an HK USPC.

Thanks, Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "357 Sig ordered wrong bullets, will they work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
January 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
"Can I expect difficulties ..."

I doubt it. More RN practice ammo is used than most any other type of bullet. In theory, they should actually work better than flat nosed bullets, but in a well tuned pistol, you shouldn't tell any difference.

ReloaderFred
January 17, 2006, 12:12 PM
I'm afraid you're going to have a problem loading the RN bullets in the 357 Sig. Most of the 9mm RN bullets are pretty much the NATO profile, with a long nose and ogive, with a short bearing surface. This was done to enhance feeding in the myriad 9mm firearms in use by members of NATO.

You'll find that when you try to seat the bullet to the correct OAL for the 357 Sig, the bearing surface of the bullet will be inside the case, and not held by the short neck of the cartridge. There won't be enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place. If you try to load the bullets out far enough for the neck to hold them, they probably won't fit in your magazine, since that's the limiting factor in most guns.

If you have a 9mm, use those bullets for loading in that caliber or in .38 Super, but I'm afraid they won't work for you in the .357 Sig. The Sig round was designed from the ground up to use either flatpoint or hollowpoint bullets, and you're pretty much going to have to stick with those two designs.

Do you know anyone close by you could trade with? I trade bullets all the time with friends who reload.

Hope this helps.

Fred

caz223
January 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I had a few extra and tried it, I can't believe it would work.
It doesn't.
You need either the FN or HP bullet.
You just don't have enough bearing surface to match up to the neck.

***EDIT***
I just read the box I checked, and they were 115RN.
You may want to have someone else chime in to see if the 124RNs work.
I know the HP/FP are the best, however.

Mal H
January 17, 2006, 12:33 PM
Very good point, ReloaderFred. I hadn't thought of the bullet purchase aspect of the 9mm RN's.

JSM
January 17, 2006, 12:34 PM
Fred,

Makes perfect sence. Thanks. Hopefully I can trade them. BTW my EGW U-die for 40 S&W arrived yesterday. I looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Scott

ReloaderFred
January 17, 2006, 01:29 PM
I have made RN bullets into FP bullets by running them into a C-H bullet swaging die and bumping them to flat points. That was only because I had a lot of round nose bullets and some time on my hands and wanted to see if it would work. It's slow and laborious, but it does work. They were pretty accurate, too, but it's much better to just start out with the right bullets.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "357 Sig ordered wrong bullets, will they work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!