Ted Kennedy to quit club that bans women

PDA

Desertdog
January 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
Ted K. to quit club that bans women
By Jules Crittenden
http://news.bostonherald.com/localPolitics/view.bg?articleid=121646

U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy — who ripped Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito for ties to a group that discriminates against women — says he’s going to quit a club notorious for discriminating against women “as fast as I can.”

Kennedy was outed by conservatives late last week as a current member of The Owl Club, a social club for Harvard alumni that bans women from membership.

In an interview with WHDH Channel 7’s Andy Hiller that aired last night, Kennedy said, “I joined when I . . . 52 years ago, I was a member of the Owl Club, which was basically a fraternal organization.”

Asked by Hiller whether he is still a member, Kennedy said, “I’m not a member; I continue to pay about $100.”

He then said of being a member in a club that discriminates against women, “I shouldn’t be and I’m going to get out of it as fast as I can.”

The Harvard Crimson reports that, in 1984, the university severed ties with clubs like the Owl, citing a federal law championed by Kennedy.

Meanwhile, Kennedy admitted to Hiller that he himself probably couldn’t pass Judiciary Committee muster.

“Probably not . . . probably not,” Kennedy said.

The committee will vote on Alito’s nomination on Jan. 24, and the full Senate will begin debate the next day. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said he looks forward to a “fair up-or-down vote.”

If you enjoyed reading about "Ted Kennedy to quit club that bans women" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tequila_Sauer
January 17, 2006, 02:30 PM
And the hits just keep on comin'

The Judicial hearings for both Roberts and Alito have been almost sad. It's just a bunch of people sitting around pumping a dry well and then doing their best to not be discouraged when, surprise, there's no water in any of their attempts.

Both parties sink deeper and deeper on, what seems to have become, a daily basis.

Henry Bowman
January 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
Both parties sink deeper and deeper on, what seems to have become, a daily basis.I can't completely disagree, but what despicable behavior have the R's engaged in in the Alito hearings?

Re: Kennedy, I assume his swim club is co-ed.

Tequila_Sauer
January 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
I wasn't speaking of the Rs with respect to the Alito hearings. I would expect nothing less than full support for Alito from the right. He is their guy afterall, or so the party line tells us.

El Tejon
January 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
That's great! Classic liberalism.:D

Do the things you accuse others of.:)

Tequila_Sauer
January 17, 2006, 03:22 PM
I think he also announced he's quitting the Chappaquiddick Combination Defensive Driving and Water Safety course.

Justin
January 17, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, but are there any clubs with women members who'd accept him?

El Tejon
January 17, 2006, 03:46 PM
Justin, yes, it was a collection of strip clubs in Boston called "The Combat Zone." Many clubs with women there would accept Uncle Teddy.:D

BostonGeorge
January 17, 2006, 03:49 PM
Justin, yes, it was a collection of strip clubs in Boston called "The Combat Zone." Many clubs with women there would accept Uncle Teddy.:D

Not anymore El T. You'd be amazed what the neighborhood is like if you haven't been for the last 5-7 years. The new Ritz Carlton Boston Common is less than a block away from the former "Naked I."

longeyes
January 17, 2006, 04:00 PM
"The Yuppies are coming, the Yuppies are coming!"

BSlacker
January 17, 2006, 05:39 PM
Do they meet under a bridge in a Oldsmobile? :)

Carl N. Brown
January 17, 2006, 05:53 PM
A fraternal club for men only?

What's next, a club for expectant mothers for women only?

Has Ted Kennedy been hoist by a PC petard?

El Tejon
January 17, 2006, 05:56 PM
BostonGeorge, hence the use of the word "was.":)

Yeah, we get out there twice a year. Yes, it has cleaned up, but geez, man, got to let me mock Uncle Teddy.:D

Zundfolge
January 17, 2006, 06:04 PM
Ted: "The club bans women? I thought for sure there was a 'g' in there somewhere ... screw that I'm outta here!"

BostonGeorge
January 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
BostonGeorge, hence the use of the word "was.":)

Yeah, we get out there twice a year. Yes, it has cleaned up, but geez, man, got to let me mock Uncle Teddy.:D

Aha, I guess that slipped past me. :) :) I work about 2 blocks away so I drive through the old "zone" just about every day.

Waitone
January 17, 2006, 06:20 PM
Isn't that special!

steveno
January 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
I'm sure that Mary Jo's family is happy to hear that

ArmedBear
January 17, 2006, 07:02 PM
Ted Kennedy can jump off a cliff, for all I care.

Furthermore, it's safer that he is kept from women, anyway.

Standing Wolf
January 17, 2006, 07:28 PM
Are you sure we're showing enough respect to the Hero of Chappaquiddick?

greg700
January 17, 2006, 07:31 PM
Surely the republicans could nominate Ted Kennedy for something....Then he could have his own hearings...

c_yeager
January 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
Frankly, I think the safest place to keep a Kennedy is in a room full of nothing but other men. Placing him in mixed company just makes life that much more complex for the fairer sex.

steveno
January 17, 2006, 08:42 PM
just hide the booze

Kim
January 17, 2006, 11:32 PM
NOW would take him as a member. Wouldn't be a surprisef if he is not already a member.:eek:

GigaBuist
January 18, 2006, 01:13 AM
I can't completely disagree, but what despicable behavior have the R's engaged in in the Alito hearings?

It wasn't despicable behavior so much as it was pointless behavior. The Republics in both Roberts and Alito would drone on and one about their personal beliefs on various issues and when the nominee would refuse to answer their response was along the lines of "Yeah, I know you'd say that because you're on OUR side. Wink wink, nudge nudge." I half expected a snap of the fingers a "knowing point" to the nominee sometimes. Toss in a "call me" sign while you're at it.

Rarely would they ask a question which would set the nominee up to be a knowledgable or unknowledgable person of the law. The Republicians tried to paint them as conservatives, which is also what the Democrats did, but they tried to do it while dicussing politics instead of the law, which missed the entire point of the hearings.

I hate to say it, because it frightens me, but the last two hearings (the only ones I've ever watched in my life) make it rather obvious that our Senators are nothing more than Mental Midgets competing in the Special Olympics at these hearings, but Arnold isn't sponsoring them. He's in the middle of it all and competing. I find that difference that striking.

cracked butt
January 18, 2006, 01:21 AM
I guess its better for old Teddy to be associated with a club that discriminates against women than to be associated with a club that bludgeons women. Oops, too late, I guess a member of his family already did that. There is more disfunction and lack of ethics in that family than any 10 families on the Jerry Springer Show combined It truely amazes me that anyone could ever take him seriously.

cracked butt
January 18, 2006, 01:23 AM
I hate to say it, because it frightens me, but the last two hearings (the only ones I've ever watched in my life) make it rather obvious that our Senators are nothing more than Mental Midgets competing in the Special Olympics at these hearings,

Or in any other day to day activity for that matter. The best and the brightest they aint.

mountainclmbr
January 18, 2006, 01:41 AM
Teddy has already shown he can swim better than the women he hangs around with. Better to avoid a repeat performance and just play God over the unwashed masses.

MD_Willington
January 18, 2006, 06:17 PM
I think he also announced he's quitting the Chappaquiddick Combination Defensive Driving and Water Safety course.

:evil:

RealGun
January 18, 2006, 06:32 PM
Is a thread on Ted Kennedy ever about issues, ever productive? I mean, once you get past the tired old baggage, what's left? We wish he would go poof, okay.

Gunpacker
January 18, 2006, 07:01 PM
Well since he is quitting the club, maybe he will have time to spend with the illegitimate child that Nat'l Enquirer is disclosing. This according to Sean Hannity today.
Seems like Republicans are throwing some bombs back at the dems. Used to be that only Repubs had bad things disclosed about them in order to gain political advantage. Maybe some of hitlerys dirt discovered from the stolen FBI files is beginning to lose effectiveness as Congress changes.

Mastrogiacomo
January 18, 2006, 07:07 PM
http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=121772

If you enjoyed reading about "Ted Kennedy to quit club that bans women" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!