Teen Shot Dead by Detective; Police Say Suspect Was Holding Fake Gun

PDA

Sven
January 2, 2003, 08:51 PM
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA1KXGDHAD.html

Teen Shot Dead by Detective; Police Say Suspect Was Holding Fake Gun

NEW YORK (AP) - A 17-year-old boy was shot to death by a police officer Thursday as he held a fake gun to the head of the officer's undercover partner during a sting, authorities said.

The detectives were investigating recent robberies of delivery men at an apartment building in the Hamilton Heights section of Manhattan. A few hours later, officers in Brooklyn killed a suspected car thief in the fourth fatal shooting by police this year.

Anthony Newsome was shot in a hallway as he held an imitation gun to the head of a detective dressed as a delivery man, authorities said. The detective's plainclothes partner fired three shots at Newsome, striking him once in the chest. Police said the officers had thought the fake gun was real.

-

Can't blame em.

If you enjoyed reading about "Teen Shot Dead by Detective; Police Say Suspect Was Holding Fake Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yohan
January 2, 2003, 09:17 PM
Another case of suicide by cop perhaps?

Triad
January 2, 2003, 09:30 PM
There's a thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=1510) in L&P about NYC wanting to ban toy guns. Considering this story and this quote from the news article in the other thread For Maurice Davis, a salesman at Toys "R" Us, his unfortunate childhood encounters with both real and toy guns are seared on his memory. Growing up in Brooklyn, Mr. Davis was forbidden to play with toy guns. But when he was 11, a playmate pointed a toy gun at a police car. The cops mistook the toy for a real weapon, and sprinted toward them, brandishing guns. "I told my friend, 'Just drop the gun!' " says Davis. you'd think they'd just ban stupidity.

Orlando5
January 2, 2003, 09:32 PM
Kids today are too spoil or stupid for their own good. Can't blame the cop.

rick458
January 2, 2003, 09:38 PM
ANYTIME you point a Fake gun at somebody with a Real gun
you automatically die, I cannot understand the popularity of Replica Firearms, or realistic looking pellet /bb guns just seems like an invitation to a funeral to me

seeker_two
January 2, 2003, 09:40 PM
Moral of the story: Don't point a gun (real or fake) at anyone, esp. a cop.

Or strong message will follow...:what:

Standing Wolf
January 2, 2003, 10:20 PM
Never show up for a gun fight without...

Aw, never mind!

Jim V
January 2, 2003, 10:26 PM
Sometimes, the learning curve gets real steep and the lessons learned are moving at 1,100 FPS.

Rangerover
January 2, 2003, 10:32 PM
Just another method of cleaning the gene pool.

Anyone who points ANYTHING besides his finger at a cop deserves what he gets.

Are people getting dumber? I submit Exhibit A: "Jackass The Movie".

The Prosecution rests.

Kobun
January 2, 2003, 10:32 PM
Darwin Award for sure. :rolleyes:

Redlg155
January 2, 2003, 10:51 PM
Things must have changed a lot since I was a child.

If you pointed a cap gun at a Police Officer more often than not he would point his finger back at ya and say "bang! bang!"

Oh well..things change.

About the kid?..nope, I'm not saddened. If he would put a fake gun to an officers head he certainly would do it with the real thing.

Good Shootin
RED

Azrael256
January 2, 2003, 10:59 PM
The last time I pointed a cap gun at a cop he whipped out his cap gun and shot back... 'course the cop was my dad, and we were in my back yard.

Normally I bristle when I hear about a cop shooting somebody with a fake gun, but this wasn't a 5 year-old with a cap gun. There was plenty of information there to indicate that the kid had intent to kill the partner. I feel sorry for the cop who has to see that image in his mind when he tries to sleep tonight.

Blackhawk
January 2, 2003, 11:06 PM
Darwin award for sure, but his parent(s) should be cited for negligent parenthood....

PATH
January 2, 2003, 11:16 PM
I'll never understand why people do such stupid things. The police officer has no way of knowing whether the gun was real.
It was a clean shoot. Don't point anything that looks like a gun at a LEO. LEO's want to go home at night. They are justified in protecting themselves in these situations as there is no time to determine whether the gun is real or not.

dave
January 3, 2003, 12:04 AM
I agree with all the above posts.

One more thing, don't point a fake gun at anyone NOT an leo either. If I were to have a fake gun pulled on me, when out walking the dog or something of the sort, don't expect any diffrent reaction.

I remember a time, when on duty and responding to a "man with a gun" call, I saw a male, 6'2", 225 lb, holding a small semi auto. Lucky for him, he dropped it when told to. It was unloaded and the "man" was a drunk 16 year old. I would have fired at him if needed, but.........Jeeeeez! What was he thinking?

The best part? As I have my pistol pointed at him, telling him to drop his weapon, his mother comes out of the house and yells "Don't shoot my BABY!". Yeah, her baby.

I'm getting to old for this.

Sven
January 3, 2003, 12:16 AM
http://www.idpa.com/safety.htm

The 2nd Law of Gun Safety - Never Point A Gun At Something You're Not Prepared To Destroy!

2dogs
January 3, 2003, 12:19 AM
A 17-year-old boy was shot to death

Of course this "boy" now becomes one of the 15 billion (or whatever number they use) "children" that Sarah Brady and MMM and the rest say are killed by firearms every year:what:

Edited for clarity.

JohnBT
January 3, 2003, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry the guy's dead.

Having said that, what's with the 17-year-old boy stuff? Boy?

By my 16th birthday I was 6 feet tall. weighed 170#, had a job and a driver's license.

John

Seawolf
January 3, 2003, 02:07 AM
I'll take bets the family sues the police department on this one.

4v50 Gary
January 3, 2003, 03:43 AM
Don't bring a toy to a gunfight.

islander-11
January 3, 2003, 03:38 PM
More media bias - the headline screams "Teen Holding Toy Gun Shot Dead By Detective". Yeah, he held it to the head of a cop when the other cop took the shot... This crap makes me crazy...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...-shooting_x.htm

Teen shot dead by detective
NEW YORK (AP) — A 17-year-old boy was shot to death by a police officer Thursday as he held a fake gun to the head of the officer's undercover partner during a sting, authorities said.

The detectives were investigating recent robberies of delivery men at an apartment building in the Hamilton Heights section of Manhattan. A few hours later, officers in Brooklyn killed a suspected car thief in the fourth fatal shooting by police this year.

Anthony Newsome was shot in a hallway as he held an imitation gun to the head of a detective dressed as a delivery man, authorities said. The detective's plainclothes partner fired three shots at Newsome, striking him once in the chest. Police said the officers had thought the fake gun was real.

The detectives went to the building after a manager of a nearby Wimpie's hamburger restaurant reported a suspicious food order. Employees said staff had been robbed at least three times in recent days as they delivered hamburgers, french fries and sodas to the building.

The shooting provoked anger from building residents and the window of a police department vehicle was smashed. Several people were arrested.

Later Thursday, police said they shot and killed a man after he crashed a suspected stolen minivan and struggled with officers.

Early Wednesday, two men were fatally shot by police in Brooklyn after they were seen firing guns in separate incidents.

"It would appear in both cases that police officers were acting according to regulations and using the training that they've received to protect the public," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The medical examiner's office said Thursday that Anthony Reid, 21, and Jamal Nixon, 19, died from gunshot wounds to the back. Police said both men traded fire with police.

PATH
January 3, 2003, 03:42 PM
Lessons learned here:

1) Don't point real or anything that approxiamates real firearm
at police officers.

2) Don't shoot at police officers.

Why all the hand wringing from the press?

pinduck
January 3, 2003, 03:56 PM
Looks like potential for nomination for Darwin Award

Kevlarman
January 3, 2003, 04:44 PM
Boohoo. Idiot holds a gun to a cop's head and gets shot? Oh the humanity! :rolleyes:

KMKeller
January 3, 2003, 04:49 PM
I agree with BlackHawk. My six year old knows better than to point ANY gun, toy or otherwise, at something he does not intend to shoot.

thumbtack
January 3, 2003, 05:08 PM
The only person I feel sorry for is the LEO. The guy was 17 and should know better then to try and rob people.

I agree with islander11 there is a negative spin here.

45R
January 3, 2003, 05:12 PM
Darwin Award Nominee.............

The cops are getting flamed by the press WHY???????:fire:

Drjones
January 3, 2003, 07:15 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - A 17-year-old boy was shot to death by a police officer Thursday as he held a fake gun to the head of the officer's undercover partner during a sting, authorities said.

Anyone who would threaten someone in such a manner in a NON-SD situation deserves to die anyhow. I'm sure he wouldn't grow up to be a model citizen anyway...

The detective's plainclothes partner fired three shots at Newsome, striking him once in the chest.

:rolleyes:

Coltdriver
January 3, 2003, 08:39 PM
There is another thread on this forum where the posters think that the banning of these replica fire arms is an infringement on gun rights.

There are toy recalls every year.

These so called toys should be banned from production, period.

My teen age son brought home one of these that I could not distinguish from a real Beretta 92 from three feet away. I confiscated it immediately.

Children have incomplete judgement (so do many adults of course) but to allow a kid access to a replica is to invite disaster.

There are many examples of kids being killed by police when the police came upon the kid and could not tell the difference between the replica and a toy. I have stated in other threads, these are not cap guns, these are not buzz lightyear ray guns, these are not bright orange squirt guns.

These things look just like a full size version, right down to slide action and magazine.

A toy recall is in order here as you can not instill judgement in a teen ager and these things do not serve the cause of gun rights in any way.

cratz2
January 3, 2003, 08:39 PM
The summer between my fifth and sixth grade years, I walked into a convinience store that I had been in 1,000 times. We had been playing some flavor of cowboys and indians (though we tended to play drug dealers and narcs) and had a pretty realistic gun tucked in my belt. The store owner (who, had sold to me literally 300 or 400 times) pulled out the gun with the biggest bore I've EVER seen. Pointed right at me and said in a low and loud voice, 'DROP IT!' Looking back, I probably sounded like Brett from Pulp Fiction... the one that kept responding, 'what?' When I realized what he wanted me to do I threw that gun down so hard it broke into about 8 pieces.

A toy gun is still a gun. These days, the realistic guns are really really realistic. If you have one in your car and esp if you point one at a cop. If you do... bad things are sure to ensue.

Ed Brunner
January 3, 2003, 09:15 PM
Fake gun and fake brain too.

Drizzt
January 3, 2003, 11:26 PM
NYPD Officer Fatally Shoots 17-Year-Old
Fake Gun Found At Shooting Scene

POSTED: 4:23 p.m. EST January 2, 2003
UPDATED: 7:38 p.m. EST January 2, 2003

NEW YORK -- An undercover police detective shot and killed a teenage robbery suspect who police say was holding a fake gun to his partner's head this afternoon.

Police say detectives were investigating two recent robberies linked to deliverymen in a Hamilton Heights building at 148th Street.

Police say the boy, 17-year-old Anthony Newsome, held a gun to the head of a detective dressed as a delivery man. The other officer, dressed in plainclothes, then fired three shots at Newsome, striking him once in the chest.

The gun turned out to be a toy pistol.

Newsome was taken to Harlem Hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival. The officers were taken to Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, where one of the detectives was treated for trauma.

The identities of the officers were not immediately released.

Police said the detectives had gone to the building after a manager of a nearby Wimpie's restaurant called police to report a suspicious order of food.

Restaurant employees say deliverymen had been robbed at least three times in recent days as they delivered orders to the building.

News of Newsome's death provoked anger from neighbors outside the building. Residents shouted at police and the windshield of a police car was smashed. Several people were arrested.

Less than four hours later on Thursday, police shot and killed an unarmed 35-year-old man driving a suspected stolen minivan in Brooklyn. Police said officers briefly chased the Mazda, but called off the pursuit before the van crashed into a private car at 86th Street and Bay Parkway.

As police converged on the crash scene around 5:15 p.m., a struggle ensued in which a male suspect was shot. The man was not immediately identified.

In separate incidents early Wednesday, two men were fatally shot by police in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn after both were seen firing guns, authorities said.

The medical examiner's office said Thursday that both men had died from gunshot wounds to the back.

Anthony Reid, a 21-year-old Brooklynite, died after his aorta, esophagus and lungs were pierced by one of four slugs that hit him in the back and the backs of his legs, said Ellen Borakove, the medical examiner's spokeswoman.

Reid was shot during a chase that took place Wednesday morning after officers heard him shooting at bargoers, police said. The early findings of a police investigation show that officers traded fire with Reid as he ran away from them, said Michael O'Looney, a police spokesman.

Jamal Nixon, 19, also of Brooklyn, died Wednesday after one of two shots to the back perforated his lungs, police said. Officers said they traded fire with Nixon after they spotted him shooting a pistol in the air just after midnight.

O'Looney said he could not provide the preliminary results of the investigation of that shooting, but he said there were no indications of police wrongdoing.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the Wednesday shootings seemed to have been proper.

"It would appear in both cases that police officers were acting according to regulations and using the training that they've received to protect the public," he said.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/1865974/detail.html

.....but, but, he was such a good boy. It was a toy, he wouldn't have never hurt nobody. Why'd they have to shoot him?

puh-leese...... :rolleyes:

Ala Dan
January 4, 2003, 06:11 AM
"Momma's shouldn't teach their son's to grow up to
be Gang Banger's" - author unknown

It's apparent this perp was acting out, as if he was
in the "real world"! Don't fault the LEO's involved, cuz
I would have done the exact same thing; for the
protection of my partner.:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

If you enjoyed reading about "Teen Shot Dead by Detective; Police Say Suspect Was Holding Fake Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!