Doctors seek kitchen knife ban

PDA

Brat7748
January 17, 2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1559829/posts

Key points • Doctors claim long kitchen knives serve no purpose except as weapons • 55 out of 108 homicide victims in Scotland were stabbed last year • Police superintendents say a ban would be difficult to enforce

Key quote "Many assaults are impulsive, often triggered by alcohol or misuse of other drugs, and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available, potentially lethal weapon, particularly in the domestic setting" - Dr Emma Hern, writing in British Medical Journal

(Excerpt) Read more at news.scotsman.com ...

If you enjoyed reading about "Doctors seek kitchen knife ban" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Atticus
January 17, 2006, 06:52 PM
This brain damage must be associated with heavy metals in the diet or such.

MS .45
January 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
I heard about this a while back. What will this doctor suggest if the weapon of choice changes to something else (chair, lamp, tire iron, bat, hammer, pen, pencil ect..)? Human nature will not be legislated.

fourays2
January 17, 2006, 07:29 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1559829/posts

Key points • Doctors claim long kitchen knives serve no purpose except as weapons • 55 out of 108 homicide victims in Scotland were stabbed last year • Police superintendents say a ban would be difficult to enforce

Key quote "Many assaults are impulsive, often triggered by alcohol or misuse of other drugs, and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available, potentially lethal weapon, particularly in the domestic setting" - Dr Emma Hern, writing in British Medical Journal

(Excerpt) Read more at news.scotsman.com ...
it's hard to believe that supposedly learned people can be so stupid.

carlrodd
January 17, 2006, 07:36 PM
after reading the whole story, and noting that the interviewed "chefs" claimed that big knives were not necessary in the kitchen, i can only conclude that whatever barbarian originally came up with the idea of a big kitchen knife must have been a savage, murderous beast, and that my mother is a closet homicidal maniac.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
People who visit a doctor are 87% more likely to have a serious illness than those who do not.

Ban doctors.

- NF

odysseus
January 17, 2006, 08:03 PM
Other news headlines:

"British Doctors recommend stiff laws on chewing of food to prevent choking."

"British Doctors appeal to lawmakers for large fines for failing to tie shoelaces."

"British Doctors recommend harsh penalties for getting into a car and driving"

"British Doctors ask for regulation on mops, and their ability to create slippery floors"

:D

Iain
January 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
An amusing example of how small the world is.

This ancient (and ignored by all relevant authorities) piece of news was revived in another thread on here just yesterday. I presume it found it's way to freerepublic and then back here again.

palerider1
January 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
i think this doctor thumped his texbooks too hard on his head when in college:banghead:

McCall911
January 17, 2006, 08:10 PM
<sigh>

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=177181

swampsniper
January 17, 2006, 08:14 PM
An amusing example of how small the world is.

This ancient (and ignored by all relevant authorities) piece of news was revived in another thread on here just yesterday. I presume it found it's way to freerepublic and then back here again.
You posted to assure us that it isn't going to happen?
You should be aware that we sit here guarding our liberty, but can't understand just what you Brits are up to, over there!:D

Iain
January 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
This particular incursion upon my culinary liberties does seem unlikely.

It's quite an old story, and if I remember correctly it did provoke widespread derision, even here. Several 'celebrity chefs' came out and stated they hadn't been approached by this doctor and that they quite liked their big pointy knives thank you very much.

Sistema1927
January 17, 2006, 09:54 PM
If they ban large knives, then they will also need to ban dowel rods, broom sticks, etc. This is due to the fact that a small knife (or even a piece of flint) can be attached to a long rod and turned into a nice long spear.

You can't turn back the hands of time to abolish nuclear weapons, and you can't turn back the hands of time to abolish firearms, and you can't turn back the hands of time to abolish swords and knives. Heck, you can't even turn back the hands of time to abolish a sharpened stick.

Fly320s
January 17, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'd better run out and get that 12" Henckels chef's knife I have my eye on before it's too late. Better get the cleaver and 6" tactical santoku while I'm at it.

Molon Labe
January 17, 2006, 10:06 PM
In 100% of cases, a hand is used to hold a knife when it's used to stab someone. A hand is also used to hold a gun. In addition, hands are used to wield brass knuckles, baseball bats, and ice picks. Hands are also used to make fists, which are commonly used in barroom fights.

Do you see it now? The root problem is hands.

We need to regulate hands.

odysseus
January 17, 2006, 10:13 PM
Better get the cleaver and 6" tactical santoku while I'm at it.

Love those santoku's. Nothing faster through dicing for me...

progunner1957
January 17, 2006, 10:34 PM
The answer to all the violence is simple: Outlaw everything - I MEAN EVERYTHING - that a person could possibly use as a weapon to hurt or kill another person or themselves.

Such as:
Scissors
Nail files
Razor blades
Electrical cords
Ropes
All heavy cord
Lawn mower blades
Large flashlights
Gardening implements/hand tools
Hard liquor
Pain medication
Sleeping medication
Wire coat hangers
Ink pens
Pencils
Belts
Padlocks
Screw drivers
Hammers
Heavy wrenches
Hack saws
Rat/mouse poison
Metal/hard plastic levels over 6 inches in length
"C" and "D" cell batteries
Gasoline
Drain Cleaner
Garden Hose
Bricks
Baseball/softball bats
Tennis rackets
Hockey sticks
Metal yard/meter sticks
Heavy glass beer mugs
Heavy glass/ceramic coffe cups
Shovels
Hoes
Rakes
Lengths of 2x4 longer than 6 inches
Weed eaters
Butter knives
Steak knives
Kitchen knives
Hair spray
Deodorant spray
Pliers
Wire cutters
Tinsnips
Socks

Any and all of the above items can be used as a stabbing weapon, cutting weapon, impact weapon, poision or garrote (choking weapon), for example:

Padlock on a belt: Impact weapon
Pen/pencil: Stabbing weapon (eye socket)
Hard liquor combined with pain/sleeping medicine: Poison weapon
4-6 "C" or "D" batteries in a sock: Impact weapon
Hair spray: Poison weapon (spray in eyes)
Wire coat hanger: Garrote

The only true solution: Outlaw EVERYTHING.:barf:

Janitor
January 17, 2006, 11:43 PM
Padlock on a belt: Impact weapon
A sock full of pennies. ...

Edit:
----
Oops - missed your sock and batteries. Never mind. Ok. Break a credit card and note how sharp an edge it can leave. Nasty jagged wound too. At least so I hear it might be.

It would be interesting to see just what would go on the good doctors list of things that don't need to be controlled before they hurt somebody.

Sleeping Dog
January 17, 2006, 11:47 PM
Doctors claim long kitchen knives serve no purpose except as weapons
I've had English food. Doctors could claim that kitchens serve no purpose except as weapons.

:p

(just kidding ... haggis ... mmmm)

Regards.

Pawcatch
January 18, 2006, 07:46 AM
We beat this topic to death back in May and all that is out there is that tired old article.Why hasn't hardly anybody else jumped up and supported it?
I've searched all over the net and watched BBC every day and I have yetto see it mentioned again in the British press.
But that doesn't stop many on this forum from acting like it's about to become law.
So I don't think we actually have a leg to stand on unless it actually becomes law.

Janitor
January 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
So I don't think we actually have a leg to stand on unless it actually becomes laws.
Hmmm. Read this and had to wonder.

I infer from your post that if it actually were to become law, that we would have a leg to stand on?

Which leg would that be? The one that says people in another country are welcome to tell them how to run theirs?

PATH
January 18, 2006, 10:08 AM
You just cannot make this stuff up!:D

EddieCoyle
January 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
They should do it for the children.

Pawcatch
January 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
Janitor,
that's basically what I'm saying.Maybe not to that extreme,but that's the idea.

ball3006
January 18, 2006, 04:19 PM
none of my kitchen knives are registered and there is no paper trail from when I bought them.........but then again, this is from a country that makes sausage in a sheep's stomach and drinks their beer warm.............chris3

swampsniper
January 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
SENATE, No. 1384
By Mr. Shannon, a petition (accompanied by bill, Senate, No. 1384) of Charles E. Shannon, Timothy J. Toomey, Jr., David P. Linsky and Paul J. Donato for legislation relative to the possession of a machete. Public Safety and Homeland Security

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Year Two Thousand and Five.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE POSSESSION OF A MACHETE
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1.

Subsection (b) of section 10 of chapter 269 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2002 Official Edition is hereby amended by inserting after the word “inches”, in line 67, the following word:- , machete.

SECTION 2. Said subsection (b) of said section 10 of said chapter 269, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

For purposes of this section, “machete” means “a heavy knife at least 18 inches in length and having a blade at least 1.5 inches wide at its broadest measurement. This subsection shall not apply to carrying a machete on one’s person or in a vehicle if the machete is carried for the purpose of cutting vegetation or if the machete is being transported for the purpose of cutting vegetation. In a prosecution of a violation of this subsection, there shall be a permissible inference that such carrying of a machete is not for the purposes of cutting vegetation. Such presumption may be rebutted.

Any individual who requires a machete for the purposes of cutting vegetation shall register the machete with the local police department on an annual basis and, upon payment of an appropriate annual registration fee as determined by the local granting authority, shall be issued a permit authorizing him to possess the machete solely for the purposes of cutting vegetation.

MD_Willington
January 18, 2006, 06:45 PM
There will be a rash of drive by pointy stickings if this passes...

New weapon of choice will be a cricket bat I suppose...:rolleyes:

swampsniper
January 18, 2006, 07:06 PM
We issue machetes to all our kids at the age of 6. The kudzu would get them , otherwise!:D

Zedicus
January 18, 2006, 08:42 PM
This brain damage must be associated with heavy metals in the diet or such.
Funny you should say that, Many Homes and Buildings in the UK still have Lead Water Pipes.
(hence why I allways drank filtred water over there)

swampsniper
January 18, 2006, 09:03 PM
Funny you should say that, Many Homes and Buildings in the UK still have Lead Water Pipes.
(hence why I allways drank filtred water over there)
I have been messing with lead for decades, ever since I tied my first shrimp net, and burnt dead car batteries for the lead I needed for the weights on the net. For many years, when I was into competition, I cast at least a couple of hundred pounds of bullets a year. I even have several pounds of mercury squirreled away, for deleading barrels. I don't think I am crazy, yet!

jazurell
January 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
I don't think I am crazy, yet!

Awe shucks, you just don't realize it yet swampsniper.... But don't feel bad, most of us are getting there too.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Doctors seek kitchen knife ban" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!