More nonsense in MD

PDA

K-Romulus
January 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
As if it wasn't bad enough fighting off the legislature AND the AG, the gun-ban crowd now has a new stealth approach to pushing "gun safety" through a public office. :cuss:

For some background:

The current MD Comptroller, Willam Donald Schaeffer (80-something years old), the former Gov. and former Mayor of B-More, is an old-school Democrat who actually shoots straight and tells it like it is. Because he has some integrity, the far-left crackpots in Montgomery County and other far-left strongholds in this state have targeted Schaeffer in the upcoming primary because he is a "DINO.":rolleyes:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.vozzella06jan06,1,7049310.column

1 bean, 2 beans, 3 beans ... now on to bigger things

Laura Vozzella
Originally published Jan 6, 2006

Collecting taxes and counting beans. Those are the chief duties of the state comptroller. Sure, he also gets to monitor the quality of motor fuels and make sure that shot of Smirnoff you order at the corner bar really is 80 proof. But the latter task sounds like more fun than it really is, since it's a bunch of inspectors who go out to Maryland watering holes, not the comptroller himself.

So who can blame Peter Franchot for trying to make more of the job that he's trying to wrest away from William Donald Schaefer?

The way Franchot sees it, the state's comptroller also should be out there supporting abortion rights, gun control and, however belatedly, the nation's 42nd president.

Franchot, a Montgomery County delegate who is challenging Schaefer in the Democratic primary, lays out this vision in a list of New Year's resolutions issued by his campaign. Among them:

"I resolve we will have a Comptroller who stands for the right to choose.

"I resolve that we will have a Comptroller who supports meaningful gun control.

"I am resolved to support Bill Clinton, Martin O'Malley, Doug Duncan, Terry Lierman and the other outstanding leaders who make our Democratic Party great."

(Schaefer, as governor, endorsed the elder George Bush over Clinton in 1992.)

"It just boggles the mind that Mr. Franchot doesn't really understand the job he is running for," says Mike Golden, Schaefer's spokesman. "He's confused. He thinks that the duties of the comptroller are the same as those held by the governor of the state of Maryland. Maybe Mr. Franchot ought to read the state constitution and find out what the duties and responsibilities of the comptroller are before he continues this campaign."

Tim Daly, spokesman for Franchot, acknowledges that the resolutions go beyond the ordinary duties of the comptroller, which he says are "obviously more fiscal in nature." But he says the comptroller has broader powers, including his vote on the Board of Public Works and the bully pulpit available to any statewide officeholder.

"The only statutory powers are fiscal in nature," he said. "[But] the role of this position goes much beyond the statutes that are in place and go to helping to craft the legislative agenda of the state."

For his part, Schaefer has hardly donned the green eyeshade and kept his nose stuck in the ledger books since he became comptroller. The former governor and Baltimore mayor has used his appearances at Board of Public Works meetings to sound off on all manner of topics - from Gov. Parris Glendening's relationship with an aide to the quality of service provided by non-English-speaking fast-food workers.

This year's election is becoming more and more crucial (if it is possible to be even "more crucialer.") If you are able to do something about the Democratic primary (i.e., vote), then you need to be there that day . . .:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "More nonsense in MD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smurfslayer
January 18, 2006, 05:36 PM
Did you LTE the Sun yet?

Trip20
January 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
I miss Maryland so much; where I was born and raised. But, I can never move back. I'll just visit, stuff my face with crabs and oysters... and fly.

Good luck with the LTE, as SmurfSlayer suggests.

K-Romulus
January 18, 2006, 06:32 PM
Did you LTE the Sun yet?

working on it . . . I just saw this article today . . .:banghead:

roscoe
January 18, 2006, 08:34 PM
Good old Don Schaefer - I used to say hello to him at Connellys back when we used to eat crabs there, back before they put Harborplace up.

Norton
January 18, 2006, 09:43 PM
Good old Don Schaefer - I used to say hello to him at Connellys back when we used to eat crabs there, back before they put Harborplace up.

Mmmmm.....Connelly's.....wow, that's old school Baltimore. I miss that city as the new one resembles the old one in no way.

K-Romulus, let us know when you submit yours and I'll send mine right after so that you have a good chance of getting it published.

K-Romulus
January 20, 2006, 02:11 PM
Don't give me any grief about my politics . . . I already get it from BOTH sides!:neener:

After reading Laura Vozzella's Jan. 6 column, "1 Bean, 2 Beans . . .," it seems from where I sit that we Democrats have a choice between either continuing the sensible economic policies that resulted a billion-dollar state surplus, or dropping those policies to help promote a far-left politician's status among the Montgomery County dinner-party crowd.

Comptroller Schaefer has demonstrated his leadership by getting Maryland's fiscal house in order. Del. Franchot's presented alternative is to drop the fiscal focus of the Comptroller's office and, instead, promote nonsense like "more gun control" in MD, a state that already has some of the most draconian firearms regulations in the US.

Franchot's candidacy speech talked about Democrats who were proud to stand up and be Democrats, but extremist rhetoric from MD Democratic officials like Del. Franchot actually makes it embarrassing for me to publicly state that I, too, am a Maryland Democrat.

I ask other Maryland Democrats with some common sense to join me in supporting Comptroller Schaefer in the primary and election, and reject the far left's attempt to sacrifice Maryland's fiscal health for the sake of political posturing.

In the meantime, today here is a gem from Cease-Ownership's legislative guy: :rolleyes:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/letters/bal-ed.le.20jjan20,1,3575967.story?coll=bal-opinion-letters

Concealed weapons won't make us safer

Gun enthusiasts such as the writer of the letter "Concealed weapons could cut crime rate" (Jan. 16) often cite flawed research that falsely attributes falling crime rates in some states to concealed weapons, instead of to improved police practices and changing demographics.
Allowing anybody to carry a concealed handgun would make Maryland more dangerous. And carrying a concealed gun would have been no help against the high-profile crime sprees of recent years. For instance, the Washington-area snipers crawled into their car's closed trunk and shot through a peephole with a highly accurate sniper rifle.

Many other killers shoot to settle scores with family or other close acquaintances such as those involved in the illegal drug trade.

If Maryland makes it easy for anyone to carry a handgun, the death toll from domestic disputes will increase dramatically and our state will become a lot less safe.

Matt Fenton
Lutherville

The writer is a member of the board of CeaseFire Maryland Inc.

Helmetcase
January 20, 2006, 03:04 PM
Its funny how they miss the point when they write stuff like that; when they attribute decreased crime to changing demographics or police tactics, they're undermining their own argument.

Even if it's true that CCW doesn't decrease crime (and I don't think it is), it's also thusly abundantly clear that CCW doesn't increase crime either.

Senator Giannetti has been the subject of the worse kind of bathroom writing on the wall type tactics as well. There's a guy who put his ass on the line to vote the right way, not the politically expedient way. (http://progunprogressive.com/?p=53) He deserves to be re-elected.

Helmetcase
January 20, 2006, 03:17 PM
My LTE to the Sun today:

People like Matt Fenton, who today wrote a letter suggesting that Concealed Carry won't decrease crime, seem determined to undermine their own arguments. They attribute the decrease in crime to demographic changes or police tactics; even if they were right (and they're clearly not) that liberalized concealed carry laws don't decrease crime, they're missing the larger point--that legal concealed carry laws have never resulted in an increase in crime either. In other words, states that have allowed private citizens to carry defensive weapons have not seen an increase in crime at all, and that despite letting qualified, licensed citizens carry the crime rate still drops. The idea that concealed carry leads to a Wild West shootout scenario is fallacious--if that were true, we'd have seen that happen in the other 38 states that have allowed concealed carry. And we haven't. Why do anti-gun forces always ignore that salient fact?

I'm a liberal registered Independent frustrated with the Democratic Party's inability to acknowledge such facts. If concealed carry doesn't increase crime, and is linked to decreases in crime, why won't Maryland let private citizens participate in their own defense? We can't have, nor would we want to have, a cop on every corner. The most important liberty imaginable is the liberty to have the means by which you can defend yourself. Maryland has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US, and none of them kept the criminal who robbed me on my doorstep last year (as reported in the Sun) from having a gun.

Sebastian Sassi
Baltimore

Let's see if they've got the balls to print that.:fire:

Norton
January 20, 2006, 03:50 PM
Good letter Sebastian. I'm saving up my one-a-month LTE for after the session starts since you and K-Romulus have launched an early strike.

I think that you'll be surprised and they will print the letter. Nothing gets circulation up like a good LTE war.

chaim
January 20, 2006, 05:05 PM
This year's election is becoming more and more crucial (if it is possible to be even "more crucialer.") If you are able to do something about the Democratic primary (i.e., vote), then you need to be there that day

I wish I could be there and vote against Franchot in the primaries but after the last elections cylcle I finally gave up on being a conservative Democrat and I changed my registration to Republican. The guy is scary, and I'd love to vote against him, but at least he doesn't have a chance to beat a state institution like Schaefer.

Helmetcase
January 20, 2006, 06:02 PM
Good letter Sebastian. I'm saving up my one-a-month LTE for after the session starts since you and K-Romulus have launched an early strike.

I think that you'll be surprised and they will print the letter. Nothing gets circulation up like a good LTE war.

Let's hope, I just received an email asking me to confirm that it was me who wrote the letter; I called in and left a vmail describing the letter and my name and address and phone number.

Check the paper tomorrow, I guess...a good LTE war will only help ensure our cause hits the airwaves and papers and is on the minds of the people who need be thinking about it--the legislature.

Norton
January 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
Let's hope, I just received an email asking me to confirm that it was me who wrote the letter; I called in and left a vmail describing the letter and my name and address and phone number.

Check the paper tomorrow, I guess...a good LTE war will only help ensure our cause hits the airwaves and papers and is on the minds of the people who need be thinking about it--the legislature.

I think that they will print it as it is not too personal of an attack and outlines your argument clearly and concisely. Those are the same qualities that I've worked for in my letters and I have about a 75% publish rate. Fingers crossed.....

K-Romulus
January 20, 2006, 07:10 PM
I think that they will print it as it is not too personal of an attack and outlines your argument clearly and concisely. Those are the same qualities that I've worked for in my letters and I have about a 75% publish rate. Fingers crossed.....

I got NOTHIN' . . . . I guess that's why . . .:rolleyes:

My emails got bounced back as "spam," so I had to use their webform. . .

Spot77
January 22, 2006, 10:45 PM
But wait...I thought the senior Democratic leaders called for not pushing any more gun control.....:confused: :confused: I'm so confused.

Paging Mr. Dean, Mr. Howard Dean.........

Helmetcase
January 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
So far they haven't printed it; but it seems they have a few day lag period. Maybe it'll make it in there tomorrow. If somebody sees my letter, flag me down. :cuss: ;)

Norton
January 23, 2006, 07:50 AM
So far they haven't printed it; but it seems they have a few day lag period. Maybe it'll make it in there tomorrow. If somebody sees my letter, flag me down. :cuss: ;)

Don't be surprised. Last year during all of the hearings, I ripped off a great letter. The Sun conveniently printed it 2 weeks after all of the bills were voted on. :fire:

U.S.SFC_RET
January 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
Not being able to Carry a defensive firearm in the state of Maryland just sucks. Maryland has a high crime rate ask anyone who lives anywhere around Baltimore.
It is Discrimination to a blackman who wants security with the second amendmendment. where ever there is high crime is where you need it the most not places like Alaska and Wyoming. Crime is spreading out from Baltimore like a stepped on spider, all over the place.

K-Romulus
January 26, 2006, 04:15 PM
Update:

At least one letter was published in the Sun today re:CCW . . .

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/letters/bal-ed.le.26jjan26,1,6721707.story?coll=bal-opinion-letters

Concealed weapons do cut crime rate

After reading the letter from a representative of CeaseFire Maryland Inc. ("Concealed weapons won't make us safer," Jan. 20), the only evidence of "flawed research" I could find was whatever source the letter-writer used to support his statement that allowing more Marylanders to carry concealed handguns would cause Maryland to become more dangerous.

That same baseless argument has been used in attempts to resist passing laws allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons in just about every one of the 38 states that have passed such a law.

However, no state that has passed such a law has become more dangerous.

On the contrary, most, if not all, of these states have seen reductions in violent crime.

David Titus
Windsor, Pa.

Thanks, Dave, whoever you are . . .:)

Spot77
January 26, 2006, 06:54 PM
Plus there was two pro ccw letters published in the Maryland Gazette (A local Northern Anne Arundel County paper, sister paper to The Capital) last week

Of course, one was from Girlwithagun here at THR :evil:

But I didn't know the other fellow and he lives right close to me according to his letter.

Senator Frosh is truly the only MAJOR stumbling block here. Replace him and some of our other opponents will concede.

If you enjoyed reading about "More nonsense in MD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!