steyr problem

PDA

michiganfan
April 9, 2003, 08:29 PM
got my new M 357 Sig today. I was drooling. Gun looked good felt good. Went to the range and started shooting.
The triangular sights were very easy to line up. First thirty went great. Then I had a few failure to fire. No big deal braeking in , then after about another fifty it just stopped setting off the rounds. I could here the trigger work and the firing pin working but nothing happend. Sort of like it wasn't going into battery. Any suggestions from the collective expertise. Oh it was three different types of ammo and it wouldn't set off any

If you enjoyed reading about "steyr problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Beav
April 9, 2003, 09:07 PM
What did the primers look like on the rounds that failed to fire?

michiganfan
April 9, 2003, 09:15 PM
they look like they hadnt been touched

aircarver
April 9, 2003, 09:56 PM
For starters, sounds like a waranty problem. For checking it over before you ship it out, strip off the slide assembly. Now work the trigger and push down on the 'release nub' on the 'sear platform. Check for burrs, and binding. Work in some oil if it's dry. The platform should spring load 'up' and get forced down by the 'striker tab' in the slide. If it doesnt spring back up, it won't catch & hold the striker tab, and the striker won't stay cocked when the slide goes back home. Working out a burr is about the limit of what you can do yourself, after that squawk at the seller.

dude
April 9, 2003, 10:08 PM
If you got it today and it failed today...............go back to the gunshop tommorow and request a replacement or refund.

If you charged it you can get your $$$ back with a phone call.

Blueduck
April 9, 2003, 10:19 PM
Neither pro nor anti 357 Sig ballistics wise, but is it just me or does it seem to everyone else that you hear this exact problem in a lot of 357 Sig guns???

C. H. Luke
April 10, 2003, 03:03 AM
Have an early import M40 in the 1,XXX range.
When I 1st shot it, had much the same problem. Due in part to the funky striker set-up the channel crudded up fast as there was still
some machine oil in there. Cleaned it out once and has never been a problem since.
Great Pistol!

spacemanspiff
April 10, 2003, 07:33 PM
i read an article over a year ago in which a similar problem happened. i'll see if i can dig it out tonight. IIRC, this problem is linked to why Steyr won't make the 357sig in a S series.

more info tomorrow...

spacemanspiff
April 11, 2003, 12:16 PM
i found the article. its in "Combat Handguns", March 2002, pages 46-51. The author, Richard Grassi, reviews the M357sig and reveals that two different pistols had to be used as the firing pin spring guide rod was breaking.
this was due to a piece of primer material that had flowed into the firing pin channel in front of the firing pin, blocking the firing pins forward travel.
A LEO armorer suggested that the Steyr is "unlocking early-before pressure dropped to safe levels'. as more rounds are fired, the pressure in the channnel increases and the firing pin spring guide rod breaks.

i'm not sure what to make of that explanation, since the M357 and M40 can swap out barrels. is the 357sig a round that releases much differently than the 40s&w?

the author indicated that the fired brass showed loss of primer material and sever primer wipe.

i had a discussion over a year ago with a TFL'er about this, i forget who it was, but they said they had put a tiny bit of oil on the firing pin to smooth things up. at the very least, completely cleaning the firing pin and its spring/guide rod might be a good idea. however, i am still an amateur when it comes to guns, so i could be wrong.

C. H. Luke
April 12, 2003, 06:41 PM
"....sever primer wipe."

SMS,

Although I would not characterize the firing pin smear my M40
has as severe, it's still there, and it's still pronounced. Does not seem to be a problem in & of itself. FWIW, it can be fairly common
in guns with a timing problem that does not allow for the spring to
fully move the firing pin back into the breechface.
On the otherhand I've found those tiny brass chips consistantly in the breech area and as far forward as the barrel hood. Every Glock .40 I've ever owned displays this also but to a noticably lesser extent.

"...the firing pin spring guide rod breaks."

With the way the Steyr's striker is designed I can understand how it could easily have catastrophic failures as you mention!

aircarver
April 12, 2003, 07:12 PM
My S40 does light firing pin wipe marks on the primers too.... But no functional problem to date.
Wonder if this is 'real common'... normal ?...

spacemanspiff
April 13, 2003, 05:44 AM
i should have noted that the article indicates this problem is indigenous to the m357. both m and s series for the 9mm and 40s&w havent had problems like the one described.

its possible steyr has realized the problem and this could be why they no longer manufacture the m357, but are coming out with another 9mm, this one 9x21, instead of the 9x19. least thats what i was told by a canadian distributor of steyr.

If you enjoyed reading about "steyr problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!