it's me again, lee turret newbie.

PDA

hsiddall
January 18, 2006, 05:19 PM
just tried to make a few dummy rounds to ensure my dies were set correct(from the factory). well what i got was a bullet almost countersunk into a shell. less thana 1/4" of bullett showing.

If you enjoyed reading about "it's me again, lee turret newbie." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
killer
January 18, 2006, 06:06 PM
i just got a lee turett press for christmas. and did the same thing on a 45-70 round. you must loosen the bullet seater, the nut on top, loosen it all the way and start turning it down until you get desired depth. its really easy once you get the hang of it. got to lee web sight and watch the videos they help.

countertop
January 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
Did the same thing with the first round I loaded.

Follow the advice on the Lee web page. Also, when I set mine up, I took a regular old Winchester White Box cartridge, placed it in the shell holder and raised it up.

I had both the Crimp Die and the Seating Die fully opened (I have the 4 die 45 ACP set) and raised the cartridge into the die then lowered the seating mechanism till it touched the commercial round. Did the same thing with the crimp (and then turned it a 1/2 turn). Get your self a caliper (picked on up for $22 at Midway on sale) and measure the length and width of the cartridge and you should be pretty good to go from there.

If you want to get the bullet out of that round, get one of the bullet pullers that looks like a hammer. They work great!

ATAShooter
January 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
NO NO... you must back off a New seating die and THEN start. They are no where near set at factory.

PaulTX
January 18, 2006, 07:08 PM
First set the Lee bullet seating die body per the instruction sheet that came with the die. Then turn the adjustment nob on top of the die way out - almost as far as it will go. Put the bullet on the case and run it into the die. If you are obviously too long, turn the nob a little clockwise to reduce the overall length. When you get closer to the correct length start measuring the overall length with your calipers after each trip up the die and making smaller adjustments until you arrive at the corrent length.

With experience you will get better. However - ocassionally you might seat the bullet too far in this initial setup - I do! :)

Follow the Lee instruction sheet for the rest of the dies too!

The Bushmaster
January 18, 2006, 10:44 PM
Women are always saying that men don't read the instructions...Why do you want to prove them right...L O L:D

PaulTX
January 18, 2006, 10:50 PM
Well, I would have to say most of the time I charge on without reading instructions - but in this case the Lee die setup instructions are pretty good for a newby.

JDGray
January 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
Sorry, wrong place.

hsiddall
January 25, 2006, 07:36 PM
Thanx for all the help. I just shot my first loads today and they all fired perfectly. A little flash on some but all in all great ammo.

Wilburs Horse
January 28, 2006, 01:50 AM
Thanx for all the help. I just shot my first loads today and they all fired perfectly. A little flash on some but all in all great ammo.Do you know the ins and outs of checking your fired cases for high pressure? If not a couple of dozen guys here will help you.

Uncle Don
January 28, 2006, 10:51 AM
There are new videos on the Lee webpage that show how to set it without having to use a dummy round and the method where you do. It covers both rifle and handgun seating/crimping dies. www.leeprecision.com Go to "Help Videos"

If you enjoyed reading about "it's me again, lee turret newbie." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!