Which compact 9mm?

PDA

Dollar An Hour
January 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
I've heard alot of good about the Kel-Tec P-11 and the price is right. The XD feels good in my hand, and I know the G26 has a pretty strong following as well.

Which would you choose and why? Considering price, customer service of the brand, and the reputation of the weapon?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which compact 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moonclip
January 18, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'd go Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm. Of the choices listed though if you don't mind a 14 oz 9mm with a fairly heavy trigger pull the Kel Tec is ok. I find the recoil on a Glock 27 somewhat severe but the 9mm should be less so and a decent pistol. How do you plan on holstering this gun, especially the Glock?

ReadyontheRight
January 18, 2006, 08:33 PM
You may want to also check out the compact S&W99/Walther P99.

FPrice
January 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
The only one I have any experience with is the Glock 26 and that is the one I voted for and have on my belt right now. It's light, accurate, and has very easy recoil.

I wear it in a Don Hume IWB holster.

Black Majik
January 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
I think a G19 is a true compact. The G26 is suppose to be a "subcompact," but it doesn't fit that role very well, nor does it fit the compact role well either.

The G19 is light, accurate, reliable, durable and relatively thin.

Oh yeah, the P225 would be VERY high on the list also. :)

Dollar An Hour
January 18, 2006, 08:49 PM
I'd go Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm. How do you plan on holstering this gun, especially the Glock?

IWB for when I'm not pocket carrying my J-Frame .38 Spl.

Sig is a bit spendy & bulky for me to be honest.

I screwed up, I really meant "subcompact" such as the G26, P-11, etc...

Jkwas
January 18, 2006, 08:57 PM
I vote for the Taurus PT111 Mil Pro.

Extremist
January 18, 2006, 09:41 PM
None of the above. My choice in that category would be the Walther P99C AS Trigger. :D

James

Ala Dan
January 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
Without a doubt, Springfield's XD-9 sub-compact~!:D

Old Dog
January 18, 2006, 09:53 PM
Sorry, but I've been through the Kel-Tec P-11 (mine was such a POS, if I hadn't been able to trade it off, I'd have taken it apart and thrown it away) and the Glock -- such an odd-sized, un-ergonomic piece with the silly Glock trigger, it just didn't work for me either ... I might consider the XD; a buddy has an excellent XD9 that I'm warming to, so I'm assuming the subcompact model could be worthy ...

For me, though, the only compact 9s that work are the SIG 228, CZ-75C (these two aren't real compact, though) and Taurus PT-111 Mil-Pro.

ajax
January 18, 2006, 09:58 PM
but I really like the Hawg 9 from Para. My vote was for the X/D but only because the Hawg wasn't on the poll. :)

Old Dog
January 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
Now that you mention it ... Springfield Armory, if I recall, briefly made either a Micro or Ultra Compact in 9mm. That'd be an intriguing platform to try out ...

So you've got the Hawg? And it's good? Hmm.

denfoote
January 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
Since Glock absolutely refuses to come out with a decent single stack 9mm, I got this one.

http://usera.imagecave.com/denfoote/KahrMK-9.jpg

Kahr MK9 Elite 98.

It ain't cheap, but the best never is!! :neener: :D

Fun2Shoot
January 18, 2006, 10:24 PM
I bought my 2nd XD recently and it's the XD9 sub compact this time. It replaces a Bersa .380 and j-frame S&W 642 for CCW, so my vote was of course, the sub XD in the poll.

I have rented a smaller Glock in 40SW and it's ergonomics just didn't suit me. The XD, well this is my 2nd, so obviously I like the overall feel of the frame and the XD'-9's are well known to feed any and all ammo without issues.

I considered buying a 1911 in 3" barrel, but read too many stories about how it is hard to get a 1911 45acp that short to run well w/o a lot of aftermarket gunsmithing. I don't need any more gun headaches at my stage of life, thank you. ;)

Kel-Tec's seem to run hot and cold for people. Looks interesting and if I come across a good used one someday, I may buy it just for fun, but not to rest my life on.

ajax
January 18, 2006, 10:25 PM
Old dog it's good but I have really small hands and it fits me okay. If someone has a pair of meat hooks theirs a good chance they won't like it so much.:evil:

Ichiro
January 18, 2006, 10:59 PM
I'm on the (long term) hunt for a carry 9mm as well. I've scratched Kel-Tec off the list, because I'm not interested in a gun that needs to be tuned, sent back to the factory, fluffed 'n buffed, etc. before it can be trusted.

I've also scratched the Glock 26 off the list for two reasons: (1) I don't like the light trigger pull for safety reasons (my own safety), and (2) with the thick grip, you may as well carry a Glock 19. I think the Glock 19 is a superb gun, but I still would not carry one because of the trigger.

Any double-stack 9mm seems too fat for carry. Even the Sig 239, which is a single stack, has a fairly fat grip.

On the other hand, the Kahrs are single-stack and slender, very ergonomic, and double-action only. Even the light and small PM-9 fit very well in my hand and has a nice trigger. The only Kahr I've ever actually fired was a K-9, but it is a superb gun, fun to shoot at the range, and much smaller and flatter than the SP-101 that I carry. In addition, the 9mm +P rounds are more powerful than the short-barrel .357 mag. I carry in the SP-101, and there are 7 of them (8 if you go +1). I could carry stouter loads, of course, but I feel more confident placing multiple shots with reduced recoil and flash loads.

Finally, an extra magazine is easy to carry and very fast for reloads. I'm a bit turned off of my Ruger due to several failures to reload with a speedloader at the range. The .357 rounds can hang up on the grips of the revolver and virtually jam up the gun. On more than one occasion, I've struggled with the darned thing for more than 30 seconds before finally securing the reload. It's maddening. So I switched to a speed strip for better reliability. 38s load much easier, but then I may as well have an airweight.

If I had to choose a 9mm for carry right now, I'd probably go with a steel Kahr, either a K-9 or an MK-9.

~Ichiro

Dragun
January 18, 2006, 11:10 PM
+1 for Kel-Tec P-11. was the smallest lightest 9mm around until the Rohrbaugh (or however you spell it?) beat it out. although it was at the expense of bullet capacity I think. mine has been flawless (even through the supposed 500 rd. break thing, where all bugs get worked out) with only one fail to feed in about 3000 rounds. i blame that on my son (maybe 12 at the time) first time shooting some 147gr had a FTF. i think he kinda limpwristed on it, so i finished out the mag no prob. he's 19 now and can't wait to get his own. about 7 years now and going strong makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

conkmwc
January 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
Kahr PM9

Nitrogen
January 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
I personally like the XD-9; I shoot it better than the Glock.

Honestly, whichever one of these 3 you shoot better should do you no wrong.

Dollar An Hour
January 18, 2006, 11:58 PM
If I had to choose a 9mm for carry right now, I'd probably go with a steel Kahr, either a K-9 or an MK-9.

~Ichiro

You make good points about the light trigger of the Glock.

When I made the poll, I almost included Kahr's PM-9 and MK-9, but last time I was gun shopping, the prices were up there. :eek: Anyway the Kahrs feel great in hand, and I like the DAO long trigger for a CC weapon. Like a wheelgun, but thinner, with more capacity. ;)

Kel-Tec - I've heard some folks rave about the P-11, but alot of people get disgusted with P3AT's and other Kel-Tec models. I agree that I don't want to fiddle with it, I just want it to work, and an inexpensive CC gun could turn out to be the worst deal you ever made should it not prove reliable. :(

I like the track record of the XD-9, sounds super-reliable.

9mm out of a 3"+ barrel, on paper at least, is a better SD round than .38 Spl out of a snubby. Also, I like the extra capacity of the pistol, so I'm gonna try carrying a small 9mm and see if I prefer it to the J-Frame. I'd never sell the J-Frame though to be honest. :)

I need to have another look at the P99 Compact. Are these imported by S&W, or built here in the US?

Ichiro
January 19, 2006, 12:11 AM
I love my SP, but it is a belt gun.

For a 9mm, I would want a pocket gun, maybe a PM-9 or MK-9.

For you, maybe a belt 9mm would be a better option, since you've already got a pocket gun in the 442. For that use, there are a whole bunch of good guns.

~Ichiro

VTKFJoe
January 19, 2006, 03:09 PM
its a PM9 for deep cover for me (G19 for belt/bedstand), but like Ichiro said, if you already have the pocket gun taken care of then...

I had and loved a S&W 3914, a bit smaller than a Sig p239 with the same capacity and much cheaper. Also, the Kahr K9 or P9 might be worth lookin at.

Good luck.

Joe

scubie02
January 19, 2006, 03:23 PM
I've got 2 xd's and one is a 9 compact. Its a great gun--accurate, always goes bang, fits good. But in reality most of the subcompacts really aren't much of any more concealable than my 4" LW Compact 1911, and often less comfortable because they are thicker. Its nice to drop in a coat pocket when you're walking the dog, though, as an alternative to a revolver. It does carry nice and relatively light on the belt though, but as mentioned is fatter than a 1911.

TC-TX
January 19, 2006, 07:42 PM
I vote for the Taurus PT111 Mil Pro.

+2

Hawk
January 19, 2006, 08:16 PM
I would've veered off the choices for Roarback or Rorbach or whatever but I promised myself I'd never buy I gun I can't spell.

For that reason, XD or Glock.
Easy to spell.

Works good too.

MCgunner
January 19, 2006, 09:14 PM
P11, a REAL revolver style DA trigger for safety and familiarity to a revolver man and cross training purposes. It's accurate, reliable, powerful, high capacity, light, and flat. Up to 13 rounds of powerful +P 9mm flush fit to the gun in such a small firearm is amazing to me. Of the three it is the easiest to carry and conceal. Well, I say that. I don't really know anything about the XD. But, the KT is 14 ounces unloaded and tiny, yet easy to shoot and has a 3" barrel. I bought my Kel Tec first year it was available and it has been through several thousands of flawless rounds and I suspect will keep on keepin' on. Can't ask for more'n that!

And finally, under 300 bucks.

Sulaco
January 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
I like the XD trigger better than the Glock. It feels less "mushy". But in every other comparison I like the Glock over the other two. The Glock just seems to do everything right for me. But hey, it's your decision!

MCgunner
January 19, 2006, 09:32 PM
I would've veered off the choices for Roarback or Rorbach or whatever but I promised myself I'd never buy I gun I can't spell.

For that reason, XD or Glock.
Easy to spell.

Works good too.

I think it's spelled "Roarbucks" or something like that...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

chaim
January 19, 2006, 09:40 PM
If you are looking for a compact 9mm my first choices would be a Taurus PT111 Milennium Pro or one of the Kahrs. If it will be a belt gun and you pick the Kahr go for a Kahr K9 and you might even be able to find one used if price is an issue (or go for the budget Kahr, I think it is called the CW9). If you want a pocket 9mm then go for the PM9.

Out of the choices listed I'd probably go with the Glock.

Dollar An Hour
January 20, 2006, 01:11 AM
If you are looking for a compact 9mm my first choices would be a Taurus PT111 Milennium Pro

I admit I *completely* overlooked the PT-111 Taurus. :banghead:

Several people seem to strongly recommend it in this thread though...

Quick pricing search shows I can get one for about $270. :eek: That's really tempting.

In a nutshell, what do people like (and dislike) about the PT-111? Weight is listed about 18.5 oz. Is it pretty snappy with +P ammo (or standard pressure ammo for that matter)?

I guess I never really took Taurus' semiautos seriously. :uhoh:

TC-TX
January 20, 2006, 01:44 AM
Do yourself a BIG favor and consider the Taurus PT111...

Hi Capacity
Great Form
Great Fit
Small
Lightweight
Great Shooter
Great Price!

How can you go wrong?

duncan
January 20, 2006, 01:45 AM
Kahr PM9

That's my fav CCW 9mm.

Glock 26 is a great quality gun.

Kel Tec P-11 is a decent gun for $250.

Sprinfield Armory XD - good gun from most accounts.

chaim
January 20, 2006, 02:06 AM
I admit I *completely* overlooked the PT-111 Taurus. :banghead:

Several people seem to strongly recommend it in this thread though...

Quick pricing search shows I can get one for about $270. :eek: That's really tempting.

In a nutshell, what do people like (and dislike) about the PT-111? Weight is listed about 18.5 oz. Is it pretty snappy with +P ammo (or standard pressure ammo for that matter)?

I guess I never really took Taurus' semiautos seriously. :uhoh:

The Milennium Pro series are simply great carry guns IMHO.

On the weight, I'm not quite sure what to say. The website shows my PT140 M. Pro to be 23.5oz, but the sales catalogue shows it to be 18.7. Both the website and catalogue show the PT111 M. Pro to be 18.7oz. The PT140 M. Pro and PT111 M. Pro seem to be the same size so I doubt they'd be almost 5oz apart. So I don't know which it is, 23 or 18. I suspect that the website that shows 18.7oz for the PT111 and the catalogue that shows 18.7 for both the PT111 and PT140 are simply showing the figures for the old non-Pro Milennium series (the Pros are beefed up, have better triggers, and simply are much improved over the older Milenniums).

At any rate, either way these are very great CCW guns. They conceal nicely on a belt or IWB (when I carry it, usually just at home living in a non-CCW state, it is IWB tucked). It is a little big and heavy to be a pocket gun, but it can be pocketable (probably would be better with a good pocket holster).

The recoil in my .40S&W PT140 M. Pro is very managable and I would even say this gun is actually comfortable to shoot. Accuracy is good for a small CCW gun and at short and medium ranges rivals many service pistols (at long ranges you'd miss the service pistol's sight radius though). I'm pretty sure the 9mm PT111 M. Pro will handle +P with ease.

One nice thing on these guns is that they can use the 24/7's mags. You wouldn't want to carry with them since they don't fit anywhere near flush, but for your reload and for HD 12 rounds of .45ACP in the PT145 M. Pro, 15 rounds of .40S&W in the PT140 M. Pro and 17 rounds of 9mm in the PT111 M. Pro are quite impressive. Heck, the regular mags holding 12 rounds of 9mm or 10 rounds of .40 or .45 in a small gun are more than acceptable.

My gun is quite reliable. The only issue I had (at 441 rounds) was clearly ammo related. So, as for gun related issues, I've had 550 rounds so far without one. The only problem that seems common on these is a very easy fix- the screws holding in the sights can come loose (on mine it was the rear sight), but just unscrew them and apply some loctite and you can fix the problem even before it develops.

I am more than happy with my Milennium Pro.

trueblue1776
January 20, 2006, 02:11 AM
XD will have to do :D

cookekdjr
January 20, 2006, 10:50 AM
My 2 cents:

1. Of the three you listed, I chose the Glock 26. I work with a number of FBI agents who carry/have carried the Glock 26 (and its .40 cal twin, the G27). Also, a number of friends, family, and LEO's I work with carry the G27.
None of them have ever spoken poorly of their G26/27, and most of them rave about them.
One FBI agent (yesterday, as a matter of fact) recommended the G26 over the G27 because of recoil, but this was based on a Glock rep's recommendation, not his personal experience (He carries a Sig p228 and a G26 as back-up, most FBI here carries G22/23, and G27 back-up).

2. I wish Glock made a single-stack G26. Since they don't, I'm looking at a Kahr P9 and CW9.
-David

dbracin
January 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
Kahr PM-9 :D

http://www.kahr.com/images/pm9093.gif

Dollar An Hour
January 20, 2006, 11:29 AM
After thinking about the intended use of the gun, I think a DAO-type trigger is what I want.

Kahr PM9 & Taurus PT-111 both look good. $300+ price difference there, the Taurus may have to do the trick.

The Kel-Tec isn't something I'm sure I want to depend on. For everyone thrilled with their Kel-Tec, there's somebody ready to make it a paperweight. I was interested when I saw it was an American-made pistol affordably priced, but I guess maybe it's too good to be true. Not saying I won't pick one up one day and give it a chance.

Missouri Mule
January 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
Since you didn't list th Kahr PM9 as of of your choices I won't vote.
But when I bought my PM9 it was almost a toss up between it and the G26.

The Kahr, for me personally, was the right choice. I didn't like the feel of the G26, sort of like a sub-compact brick a.k.a., "The Baby Brick".

I'm not knocking Glock either . I own and like a G36.

I wanted a Rohrbaugh but that was out of the question at the time due to availability and the atronomical price. For me the PM9 was the next best smallest option.

BillinNH
January 20, 2006, 02:47 PM
I'm a longtime P-11 fan and it gets my vote. I think the Glock 26 is a nice gun but it's kind of chunky.

I like the way you can carry a P-11 IWB with just its beltclip.

Bill

CajunBass
January 20, 2006, 03:25 PM
My P-11 has been Ivory Snow reliable since I got it. No fluff and buff, or any of that nonsense, just take it out and shoot it. Some of the others might be "better," but it's hard to beat the P-11 for weight and value.

With it's light weight it does kick a bit, and it's trigger is long and heavy, but mine has gotten much better as I've shot it in.

Ken Rainey
January 20, 2006, 04:47 PM
I haven't used the Taurus PT111 so I can't speak for them. Out of the ones you listed, the Glock 26 gets my vote. I owned a Kahr K9 for about 2 years and it is a fine, accurate pistol. I presently use a Glock 26 and have for the past 4 years. I'm a little partial to the Glock (being a Glock armorer) - it's an accurate and easy to maintain pistol....if I didn't have the Glock, I'd want the Kahr, which to me is an all steel, single stack "Glock like" pistol.

Some say the Glock doesn't feel right because the little finger doesn't have a resting place but I was already use to the feel of my round butt S&W 60 with the small factory wood grips and a Tylers T-grip that used the same fingers to hang on to it, letting the little finger curl under...works the same for the Glock and the G26 has a hump in the rear of the grip that helps it to "lock" into your hand - very comfortable to use...and..you can always add the magazine floor plate extension if you so desire.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which compact 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!