New Problem With Glock 23

PDA

MadMercS55
January 18, 2006, 09:04 PM
Just wanted some other opinions on this one. I have a nearly-never-used G23. It sits locked away more than anything since I generally prefer 9mm and .45acp sidearms. I bought it, fired 300rnds through it without issue and put it back away. In research I went to a 22lbs recoil spring and steel rod via Wolff Springs. I fired 150rnds with the new setup and the G23 went back in lockup again. It sat for awhile and went out about 2 days ago with 150rnds of Speer Lawman 180grn ammo. Thing jams every 3rnds like clockwork now.
It seems the slide isn't going back far enough when it cycles to catch the next round from the magazine. Normally I'd think the 22lbs spring may be too strong, so I switch back to the factory assembly. It still has the same problem, but now only when I fire one-handed. I've been firing Glock pistols for many years in varying calibers and never had this type of problem until now. I can't figure what I might be missing here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Problem With Glock 23" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WillBrayJr
January 18, 2006, 09:13 PM
Are you limp-wristing. Polymer autos are more prone to it because there isn't much weight up front.

MadMercS55
January 18, 2006, 09:59 PM
Will,

Thats what I thought originally as well. I've tried varying grips on it when firing one handed, from very light to an overkill death grip and it just keeps doing it. I tried the same grips with my 2 G17's, a G30 and the wife's G26 with no problems at all. This G23 just doesn't like me or something.

JohnKSa
January 19, 2006, 12:01 AM
WARNING! BEFORE reading farther, please read the disclaimer at the end of the post.

The heavier recoil spring will cause the jams you describe with ammunition that is too lightly loaded for that weight recoil spring.

When you went back to the factory weight spring, things should have cleared up, and they did except when you fired one handed. That's not surprising. It's not so much how tightly you grip the pistol, as it is whether or not you lock your wrist.

IMO, the gun isn't really a good fit for you. You don't seem to like it--if I were you, I'd sell it and buy something else.

MadMercS55
January 19, 2006, 02:15 AM
John,

My main dislike for it is mainly the caliber. I've fired a friends 23 as well in my usual manner and it didn't have the trouble that this one is having. His opinion is to try the factory recoil setup with stronger magazine springs. I'm willing to give almost anything a try at this point since I'd hate to sell a perfectly good pistol just on my dislike of the caliber.

bevis
January 19, 2006, 03:19 AM
troubleshooting 101 - it worked the way the factory sent it to you and you fired 300 rounds thru it with no problem. that confirms that your grip is fine.

you changed the rod and recoil spring and now it has problems.

put it back the way it was when you got it out of the box and see if you can fire another 300 without a problem.

you cant troubleshoot the problem until you put it back the way it was when it worked fine. then add goodies one at a time until you find the culprit. dont condem the gun before you give it a fair shake with it in it's factory condition. jmo

middy
January 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
I don't buy the whole limp-wristing thing. I've intentionally tried to get a 1911, a P239, and a G26 to malfunction by using a very loose grip, and I never could.

MadMercS55
January 19, 2006, 04:14 PM
I went back to the stock recoil assembly already. The weapon still malfunctions, but not as often and now only when shooting one-handed. Which led me to believe my grip\limpwristing may be at fault. As a control I fired a friends 23 as well, same grip I normally use and experienced no problems. Same ammo, etc. His idea was my magazine springs may be fatigued, so I went and ordered some wolff +10% springs to see if that may help. I went to the range this morning and fired 100rnds, with a total of 5 malfunctions. The new mag springs haven't arrived yet, but I'll see how things work with them installed.

bevis
January 19, 2006, 07:54 PM
seems that you are heading in the right direction

1911Tuner
January 19, 2006, 09:33 PM
Is it a failure to eject stovepipe or crunching the case between slide and
barrel? If it's the latter, it may be the extractor. Fire it with the mag removed. If the extractor is dropping the case, it'll hang up every time
with the case crushed.

MadMercS55
January 19, 2006, 10:30 PM
Tuner,

It's ejecting just fine, It seems that the slide isn't cycling back far enough to grab the next round from the magazine. Instead it's ramming the new round right below the feed ramp and jamming things up, or the mag isn't getting the next round up quite far enough. A standard tap/rack failure drill gets it back up and running.

Graystar
January 19, 2006, 11:05 PM
Sounds like the previous setup caused some damage, and now the damage is done and youre going to have this trouble no matter what. You have to find the damage and repair it.

My guess, which is pure speculation, is that the recoil spring is getting hung up on a deformity in the recoil-spring channel of the frame. Remove the slide and look at the recoil-spring channel of the frame, between the front metal rail inserts. If you had a spring in there that was too wide, it might have kept catching the edge where the channel gets narrow and created a slight deformation, which your factory spring is now getting hung up on. Id guess that you should be able to feel such a deformity with your finger.

TN-popo
January 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
MadMercS55...I'm not saying that this is neccessarily causing your problem, but I'm just relating this because it's the ammo you mentioned.

My agency uses Lawman and/or Blazer 180gr FMJ for qualification (we issue Glock 22/23 and Federal Tactical 180gr for duty). We qualify 6 times a year and have never had an ammo related problem...until last week.

While at the range several pistols (maybe 10%) experienced light strikes and light loads (pistol fired, but slide did not cycle enough to feed the next round) with Lawman. These pistols previously have been problem free and were fine when shot with duty ammo and Blazer.
This leads me to believe that we received a bad lot of Lawman 180gr FMJ. I do not have the lot numbers at this time.
Best.

Ken Rainey
January 20, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'm with TN-popo...I think you should try some different ammunition. If the pistol and mags were used very little and they are clean they should be working properly. New mag springs won't hurt but unless the original ones were used a great deal = wore out (do they still lock the slide open when you jerk the slide to the rear quickly with an empty mag in place?) they should be fine. As cousin "Tuner" always says, "it's usually something simple." In this case, it sounds as if it could be weak ammunition. Let us know..........

MadMercS55
January 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
Just an update\finale. Switched out all my magazines with Wolff +10's today and switched ammo as well. Tried American Eagle 165grn and 180grn FMJ total of 200rnds. Also picked up some WWB (100rnds) and 100rnds of MagTech ammo. Using the stock recoil spring with the new mag springs yielded better results. About one failure per 13rnd magazine when using the 180grn Speer Lawman ammo. Went to the American Eagle and experienced zero failures, same with WWB and the MagTech. So, it seems the LawMan ammo was the culprit all along. TN-PoPo seems to have nailed it with the ammunition being a problem at this point. I've ordered 500rnds of Blazer and another 500rnds of American Eagle and will shoot the weapon a little more in it's current configuration just to be sure, but for now it's back up and running. Many thanks to all, good advice all 'round!

Rockstar
January 20, 2006, 09:44 PM
Using a steel rod hasn't damaged your Glock. You have the problem solved.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Problem With Glock 23" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!