Championship shooting with a stock handgun

PDA

sonny
January 2, 2003, 08:24 PM
How uncommon is it for someone to win a serious match using a stock 1911?
I mean something right out of the box for.....let's say 1000 bucks or less?
I honestly have no idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "Championship shooting with a stock handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
January 2, 2003, 09:05 PM
Not very. Now different pistol, Dave Sevigny whups everyone with a pretty near stock Glock for around 600 bucks.

KP95DAO
January 2, 2003, 09:20 PM
My eldest son, the IDPA SSP Master, got where he is using a stock Ruger KP95DC. He won the OK State IDPA SSP Championship last year, and the Spring Regionals in MO (SSP/EX).

Now he is in the process of getting used to his new G34. With other people's 34s he is about 25% faster than with his Ruger. Look out all you other IDPA Masters.

sanchezero
January 2, 2003, 10:53 PM
DR Middlebrooks of fistfire (in)fame(y) competes with a stock Witness alot. Its all part of his 'all I need is skill' sales pitch.

However, looking at his resume, he seems to win alot of matches...

Shake
January 3, 2003, 12:22 AM
Certainly no 1911, but there's Earnest Langdon. . .

Shake

md2lgyk
January 3, 2003, 11:51 AM
Depends on the type of competition. For IDPA, IPSC, and other "games" it probably happens a lot. For serious (or even semi-serious) bullseye, not a chance.

Chris Rhines
January 3, 2003, 01:11 PM
I seem to recall that Rob Letham is shooting Stock divison in USPSA this season. He still beats Open-class shooters on the same COFs. But then, Letham is The Great One...

- Chris

Navy joe
January 3, 2003, 02:18 PM
Yes, Rob shoots "Limited", is very good, but will lose to open gunners of the same quality. Not by much, but he will lose. His current gun is a Springfield longslide, and if you call Springfield up and ask for one just like Rob's you better warm the checkbook up.

BigG
January 3, 2003, 02:29 PM
I think a first quality stock pistol could be used by someone of exceptional ability to outshoot most shooters with no holds barred equipment.

Ed McGivern did most of his fast and fancy revolver shooting with a pair of 38 M&P Smith and Wessons. The only mod I know he made was putting a bead front sight on them. He could shoot the entire cylinder full with the sound of a piece of cloth ripping at the same time keeping all shots on a playing card. :eek:

Don't know how that would translate to a modern Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek, but don't think either of them shoot standard 38 revolvers.

Correia
January 3, 2003, 02:44 PM
I'm willing to bet in IDPA most of the trophys are brought home by guys who have under $1000 guns.

They have spent 10 times that in ammo of course. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Championship shooting with a stock handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!