M1A Rear Sight Question

PDA

Lone_Gunman
January 19, 2006, 01:59 AM
My M1A has the GI Match non-hooded rear sight (not the national match site). I have never had too much trouble with it until a few days ago. Maybe I was shooting under bad lighting conditions, as it was very bright where I was shooting from, and my target was shaded by trees.

I had a lot of trouble looking thru the rear aperture, because the hole is so small, and just didnt seem to let enough light through.

When compared to M1Garand rear sights, the aperture on my M1A sight is about half or maybe even a third the size.

I am thinking I might want to change out the rear sight to allow for a larger aperture that would be easier to see through. Is this something I can do myself, or do I need a smith to do it? If I change it out, what should I change to, the standard rear sight? What does the sight picture thru the hooded national match rear sight look like?

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Rear Sight Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bwana John
January 19, 2006, 02:08 AM
What does the sight picture thru the hooded national match rear sight look like?
While I love my hooded NM rear sight for shooting Hi-Power Service Rifle matches I cant even see thru it at dusk. (I have the smallest size aperture)
I dont really like the big "ghost ring" apertures on a MBR, the size of the regular issue Garand seems about right for a Battle Rifle.

Lone_Gunman
January 19, 2006, 02:10 AM
the size of the regular issue Garand seems about right for a Battle Rifle.

I agree. I have never had this effect with a Garand, and was wondering if I could just swap out the aperture with one that is a little wider?

Onmilo
January 19, 2006, 11:28 AM
You can replace the NM sight apeture with a standard USGI apeture.
You can do it yourself.
If you have the National Match sight base and windage screw you will keep your 1/2 minute windage settings, even with the larger apeture in place.
GO here, http://www.biggerhammer.net and click the manuals tab.
You will need a Adobe Acrobat reader to acces the files, but there is a USGI service manual posted there that will explain how to go about taking the sight down, putting it back together, and readjusting everything.
You will only need to unscrew a couple screws, pop the sight spring off, pull the old apeture, replace it with the new, and tighten everything down.
A good idea is to break the square edge at the bottom of the apeture rail so the sight will bottom out properly in the National Match sight base.
If your original NM apeture was fitted properly this would have been done and you can use it as a guide.
Pretty simple really.HTH

Lone_Gunman
January 19, 2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the info, will check that site out. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Dienekes
January 19, 2006, 11:48 PM
When I changed climates, going from grey, dull light to out here I found that the NM sight aperture (I think mine was .520) that was too small worked pretty well in (gasp!) bright sunlight. Nonetheless I do most of my shooting with standard aperture rear sights.

I'm just happy that I could get glasses ground so I get a decent sight picture yet. One of these days I may have to spring for an ACOG to keep it all together.

odysseus
January 20, 2006, 03:31 AM
I agree. The NM sites are awesome, but when you start to loose ambient light they close off on you easily.

On the discussion of an ACOG for an m1a/m14 - there is a bit of a problem with eye relief with them at this time making it a pain, possibly literally too if you aren't prepared for the shot.

Dienekes
January 20, 2006, 07:32 PM
Roger that on the ACOG. I have the Smith mount and rings on principle now for whatever direction I might go eventually. I hear great things about the ACOG and have done some homework on them--but I need to know a lot more before gambling about 1K on one.

Fortunately I hopefully have some time before needing to make a decision. Might go prowl the exhibits at NRA/Milwaukee in May to see what's out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Rear Sight Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!