Colt's "El" series 1911s?

PDA

MatthewVanitas
January 19, 2006, 02:35 AM
Random questions: what was the deal with the El Senador, El Soldado, El Campeon, etc. 1911s from Colt? Were they all Lew Horton special orders? Any other models besides those?

Was there any gimmick besides just being flashy .38 Super 1911s?

I've seen a few, though not clear as to which name describes what features. I'm sure a lot of folks hated them, but I thought they were pretty cool in a flashy way.

Were they at all intended for export, or just for .38 Super fans who liked the whole Latin vibe that .38 1911s convey?

-MV

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt's "El" series 1911s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
January 19, 2006, 03:47 AM
They are high end 1911's made for the Mexican Commercial market where .45 is outlawed (as are all military calibers).

Some stayed here, as the Mexican Commercial market is limited (who in Mexico can afford a $1200 pistol?) and as such they aren't 'rare' just made in limited runs for a dwindling market.

I'd love to have one. Just for grins.

BigG
January 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
The ones I've seen are very cool. Superb finish with fire blue safety and slide stop etc. The rest I think is nickel. Flashy, yes, but a really nice .38 Auto.

Moonclip
January 19, 2006, 07:21 PM
There is many variations on the "El" guns. Look at a copy of the blue book under Lew Horton for a list. Very popular with some in my area, I know a fellow who claims to pretty much own all of them and yes he is Mexican!

Chipperman
January 19, 2006, 07:26 PM
You forgot the El Tejon. :neener:

TN-popo
January 20, 2006, 09:42 AM
About a month ago I separated a hispanic gangmember (and illegal, but I won't get on that rant) from his pistol. It was a Colt El Presidente .38Super in suprisingly good condition.
This was unusual, because normally it's a Jenning/Bryco/HiPoint jam-a-matic involved.

Yes, it went into evidence.
Yes, I cried.

MatthewVanitas
January 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
About a month ago I separated a hispanic gangmember (and illegal, but I won't get on that rant) from his pistol. It was a Colt El Presidente .38Super in suprisingly good condition.
This was unusual, because normally it's a Jenning/Bryco/HiPoint jam-a-matic involved.

Yes, it went into evidence.
Yes, I cried.

So... when does your department do liquidation auctions?

TN-popo
January 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
So... when does your department do liquidation auctions?

Although my police administration is pretty pro-gun (increasingly rare in this day and age), firearms are not part of the public auctions.

Moonclip
January 23, 2006, 06:38 PM
Can you at least strip everything off the gun that is not the frame and ship it to me?:)

Dienekes
January 23, 2006, 11:26 PM
Still waiting for the El Chingadero model.

Gordon
January 24, 2006, 02:04 AM
Of Course the ATF did offer to trace where the Colt came from . as ilegal aliens can't buy them , it was stolen and should be returned OR the straw man who bought it should do a term in the calaboose! This 'selective enforcement' of gun laws pisses me off! Why have gun laws if they are not enforced? Sell the things in drug stores if a back trace cannot be done!:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

TN-popo
January 26, 2006, 11:53 AM
edit below

TN-popo
January 26, 2006, 12:03 PM
Of Course the ATF did offer to trace where the Colt came from . as ilegal aliens can't buy them , it was stolen and should be returned OR the straw man who bought it should do a term in the calaboose! This 'selective enforcement' of gun laws pisses me off! Why have gun laws if they are not enforced? Sell the things in drug stores if a back trace cannot be done!:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Ummm, Gordon...did I ever say that that would NOT be checked/looked into?

Relax and switch to decaf my brother.

Moonclip
March 20, 2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but if anyone has any info on "El" guns or pics I'd love to see them.

I saw a Zapata edition Colt recently at a gunshow. Is the El series still going strong?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt's "El" series 1911s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!