Anybody Ever Turned an Anti?

PDA

Moondancer
January 2, 2003, 09:27 PM
If so, how?

I did, once. Long time ago, I had a very good friend fresh from graduatin' college. Big city edge-u-cashun and all, ya know? Wahll, I wuz jes a farm boy livin' out in the wilds, an he wuz this townie kid. (Sorry. Slipped into my down home side there fer a minute!)

To make a long story short, he came out visiting one Saturday afternoon after months of declaring that handguns should only be used by cops and soldiers, and we went shooting. He had a taste of my Model 19 in both .38 Special and .357 magnum shooting tin cans and glass bottles at the old dump. Didn't say much one way or the other when he left.

Next weekend, he shows up with a High Standard .22 revolver! A month after that, he gots a shiny new Colt Python! Then it's a Gold Cup! Before ya know it, he's got a damn nice Colt handgun collection and can out-shoot me!

Grrr. No good deed goes unpunished!

But now he's a believer, so it was worth it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody Ever Turned an Anti?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ed N.
January 2, 2003, 09:51 PM
"Ever turned an anti?"
======================

Sure. Had to, before I could marry her.

Sven
January 2, 2003, 09:56 PM
My business partner went from a position of total grabber to "I'd like to get a gun myself" after only a few trips to the range.

Ed N.
January 2, 2003, 10:10 PM
Barb had never shot a gun, and still didn't until several years after we were married. In fact she was an NRA member long before she ever fired a gun.

On maybe our first or second date, the subject came up, and I learned she favored strong gun control.

Fortunately, though, she was a conservative Republican, intelligent, educated, independant, hard working, successful, etc. She had just never really thought much about the matter before, beyond reading the garbage in the newspaper editorials. That didn't mean she COULDN'T think, she needed a little guidance.

The whole transformation took about 5 minutes. I said something like, "Who do you consider criminals?"

"Well, people who break the law," she said.

"So if you passed a new gun law, wouldn't they just break it, too, especially if they're willing to break laws about armed robbery or murder?"

"Yeah, I suppose they would."

"So who WOULD obey the gun laws?" I asked.

"Anyone who is a good, law abiding citizen."

"So, then, what you've accomplished is disarming the good guys but NOT the bad guys. Does that make much sense?"

Her eyes got big, she stared at me for a moment, then the light of realization spread across her face.

"No! It doesn't! You're right - outlawing guns would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?"

I confess I was foolish enough to wait a couple of years to marry her, but I'm delighted that I finally did!

Jeff OTMG
January 2, 2003, 10:14 PM
My latest and most complete transformation was Miss Demeanors. She went from a Rosie following anti to a gun owner.

Standing Wolf
January 2, 2003, 10:31 PM
When I met her, my ex-wife was whole-heartedly in favor of banning all guns. When we went our separate ways—amicably—five years later, she was packing her own .357 magnum. During that same period, she progressed from being a registered Democrat who hardly ever bothered to vote to voting Republican every election. She remained a klutz, a chocoholic, and something of a nitwit, but did pretty well for someone from a nitwitted leftist background.

Soap
January 2, 2003, 10:45 PM
Quite a few actually. But I've had more success with the fence sitters. Interestingly enough, the most responsive group to my pro-freedom preaching has been females 18-23.

PATH
January 3, 2003, 12:41 AM
One or two but I keep on trying.

2dogs
January 3, 2003, 12:47 AM
Yep, me.

And like an ex smoker I am one obnoxious pain in the butt pro gun nut.:neener:

Shalako
January 3, 2003, 03:15 PM
Two antis converted thus far. The first and largest hurdle that I encountered was getting them past the notion that "moron" gun owners are going to do something unsafe and kill/injure themselves or others. Before my subject antis ever touched a gun they were made to memorize the Four Rules. Then I explicitly explained to them that at the first breach of any of those rules, we pack it up and go home. No biggie, there's other stuff to do. It is just crucially important to show that safety comes before any aspect of fun, gaining skills, or self defense. After I made them aware of the fact that I was more obsessed with safety than even they, the blissful, could ever possibly imagine, they began to lay down their own framework for trusting themselves and others with guns.

The rest, so they say, is history....

:D
-Shalako

Chipperman
January 3, 2003, 06:48 PM
My Wife. She's a work in progress.

When I met her, she thought all guns should be outlawed. After being with her for a while, I got her to admit the owning guns was a right. A little while later, I got her to admit that carrying a gun for defense was reasonable. We've come a long way, but we're not finished.

I've been with her for 10 years, married for 5. I still have not gotten her to shoot a gun, but she lets me have them in the house now. Her biggest fear is that our sons will get at them. So they are all locked in a closet, in a locked safe, with individual trigger locks. Home defense is not an option yet. :(

I figure in another year or two, I'll get her to the range. Then it's all gonna be gravy! :evil:

Nanook
January 3, 2003, 07:42 PM
I'm <this close< with my wife's sister. For the longest time she would make remarks about the NRA. Blamed most of the shooting crimes in her city (Chicago) on the NRA if you can believe that.

I casually mentioned that I was in the NRA and had been for decades. She actually looked at my wife and asked if she was afraid because there were guns in the house. My wife said of course not, that I was very careful.

Over the course of several years I would make mention of various truths, critique things on the 'news' and so forth.

Finally I got her to check out my safe, and I explained the four rules and let her handle the guns. Once she actually handled a gun or two, she started warming up to the concept. I've invited her to a range once the weather gets better. I explained the history behind some of my milsurp rifles, she was very interested.
Now she's considering a weapon for home defense but she has the misfortune of living in Chicago which rules out handguns. She was unaware of the situation up til then and was amazed it was like that. Another 'fan' of the mayor. LOL

I'm working on several others, but this may be my first conversion.

spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 07:45 PM
i'm slowly beginning to learn that turning an anti either takes too long that it is not an efficient use of my time, or is just a waste of my breath.

but i did give some of the sheeple a run for their money at the MM forums. got pretty sickening though when even the mods/admins over there started locking down threads that they said were 'off topic', but really they just had no decent way to reply to logic and facts.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
January 3, 2003, 10:40 PM
Yup. I married her! Now she is an Instructor like myself and we convert them together.........

The End!!!!!!!!:D

a9mmfan
January 4, 2003, 12:06 AM
I have not sucessfully turned an Anti to a Pro, but I have neutralized several rabidly anti people. Our conversations invaribly came back to their belief that criminals would not be able to obtain guns, if guns were made illegal. I usually reply with a "yeah, sounds great. Maybe we should make horoine and cocaine illegal as well since that's all it takes. As someone in a previous post said, It takes a lot of breath to turn some people around.

para.2
January 4, 2003, 02:23 PM
Two, specifically, my (now) wife, and my brother. Both were stongly of the " Why does anyone NEED a gun like that" ( insert any gun here) persuasion. Took lots of time and energy, and if I didn't care for them both so deeply, I probably would have given up. It shows that it's not hopeless, anyway.

Kahr carrier
January 5, 2003, 07:21 AM
Yep sure have unfortunatly it was after 9/11.:(

lilbiggun
January 5, 2003, 07:36 AM
My parents. I grewup in strict democrat loving house. Mu folks hated guns. After my military stint and moving to alaska my parents started warming up to the ideas of gun ownership. I took my old man out shooting one time and he loved it and now he owns 2 rifles and a pistol. We seen a brown bear one time hiking and now when they visit and we hike, she wont go into the woods unless I have a rifle with me.
Oh and they even voted for Bush, which shocked the crap out of me.

John Galt
January 5, 2003, 02:16 PM
90% of "anti's" are just stupid, not a real anti. They don't even know they are being led around by the nose. It's our job to educate them. You don't have to really change their minds, just educate them on guns & they will "get a clue".

More important is to educate the kids and those under 30. Especially women as they are more often ignored.

Check my web site. Give suggestions to improve it and flesh it out. I'd like to add some sample news ads and some case stories of gun clubs and such making major outreach. Everything possible to help us all duplicate the success of others should be added to the site.

www.is-lan.com/challenge

Don Gwinn
January 5, 2003, 03:31 PM
Turned my wife. Mother-in-law is a work in progress. She doesn't give me any grief about guns in my house anymore, but she'd never touch one. Gave my father-in-law a start when he introduced me to his "best friend" and his friend talked shooting with me. He would never have believed that good 'ol Sherm would own a gun!
Of course, if he'd ever let good 'ol Sherm or anybody else get a word in edgewise, he might have found out earlier.

Beren
January 5, 2003, 11:54 PM
I'm not sure if you'd consider this turned, but my girlfriend of a little over one year (crossing the fingers) no longer thinks guns are for dangerous lunatics. She said, and I quote: "Before I dated you, I thought only psychotic morons carried firearms."

I said: "Dating me has changed your perceptions how, exactly?" :)

The mother isn't a convert yet. We've had one serious discussion about firearms, and she's of the opinion that only police should be allowed to carry them. She knows that I carry and doesn't like it. When she her daughter if she knew, her daughter said yes. I'd told her (the daughter) about a month after we started dating. Figured she had a right to know. Mother hasn't made an issue of it, however, and I appreciate her willingness to discuss the issue.

Mother, upon being informed that I owned a Glock: "A Glock!?" (tone tinged with horror) "Those are serious guns!"

My thoughts: "Um..well, yeah, they're all serious guns."

My response: "Well, it is black."

Jim March
January 6, 2003, 04:03 AM
Ya, I turned a whole pile of antis once. Clean out of SF General. Last seen heading south on I5 to LA, then they picked up and moved to Chicago for a while, then God only knows.

Oh. Wait. You mean "changed their minds"? :p

TheeBadOne
January 6, 2003, 04:35 AM
Once, she married my good friend (a hunter) . Took a while but now he owns more guns than many collector.

sm
January 6, 2003, 04:49 AM
Yep

jimpeel
January 6, 2003, 03:57 PM
We turned a couple at the old Time Magazine Pathfinder boards. I also showed a radio talk show host the error of her ways when I lived in MA. We still correspond and she likes the articles I send her.

No one changes based on another person's urging. They change when they take time to weigh the evidence placed before them pro and con. If they have a propensity to stubborness in their opinions, there is nothing that will change their minds regardless of what is placed before them. They have to have a willingness to see both sides and make up their own minds rather than follow the drumbeat.

KMKeller
January 6, 2003, 04:28 PM
Yep, my wife was an anti when we got married. She just put in her application for her concealed handgun permit last week. When it comes in, I'll be transferring my Kahr P9 to her.

Jrob24
January 6, 2003, 08:30 PM
I helped make one of my fence sitting friends somewhat pro gun. I made my anti-gun mom into a fence sitter and my little sister became more pro-gun when I took her shooting. I tried to convert one of my friends(major anti) but failed:( She used all the typical anti arguments and I logically refuted them. Her arguments fell flat when I applied them to real life. She ended the discussion with a lame argument of " It's morally wrong to own a gun"

While I've given up on her I still plan to take some other friends shooting where I'll answer their questions without the longwinded RKBA lecture.

sturmruger
January 6, 2003, 11:40 PM
I have been working on a business associate of mine for about 18 months. When I first met him he was kind of startled that I was an avid shooting enthusiast. We talked a little bit about some of the gun laws and what he thought about gun control. It was obvious that he didn't really know anything about gun laws. His words were "I just don't like all of these assault weapons" I told him what percentage of crimes were actually committed with "Assault Weapons" (1-2%)

About 6 months ago I invited him to come over and shoot with me on a Sunday afternoon. It took a while for us to find a weekend that worked for both of us. I finally got him out to the house this last weekend. I don't know what he was expecting, but I started off on about 40 minutes worth of safety talk. I talked about what all the parts of the gun were called and exactly how it worked. I think he was impressed that I knew so much detail about the guns I own. I was enjoying myself. John is probably in his early 50s and I am only 25. The fact that I was the one doing the lecture was kind of fun.

While we were out on my homemade range I explained to him many times that he should not put his finger on the trigger until the gun was pointing at the target. He would slip up some times and put his finger on the trigger when he first picked up the gun or while he was loading it. Finally I told him that if he kept that up he was probably going to shoot me in the head and kill me. His face got really white and he looked really scared. From then on he was ultra super safe!!

After we got done shooting the handguns I pulled out my Mini 14. I had brought a bunch of milk jugs filled with water. I decided to show off a little and shot 5 of the jugs in about 8 seconds. John was stunned, he couldn't believe the power that the rifle had. The exploding milk jugs were very impressive. I then put a target at 25 yards and handed the gun to him. I told him there was still 22 rounds in the clip and that he should empty the gun at the target and the jugs. Half way through the rest of the rounds when he paused for a second I told him that he was pretty good with an assault rifle. He acted kind of startled because I don't think it had crossed his mind what he was shooting. After we were all done and had packed up I invited him back to shoot again in a few weeks. He said he was looking forward to it and thanked me several times for inviting him to shoot.

I guess he isn’t completely in our camp, but he is getting closer. I kept talking to him about buying a gun for his own house. We also talked about magazines and how President Clinton made it harder for people to defend themselves by limiting the number of bullets I could have in my Steyr handguns.

jimpeel
January 7, 2003, 05:12 PM
What about Wyldone? Where is she these days?

twoblink
January 8, 2003, 12:55 AM
That's my job! I turn them all the time.

There are two types of anti's:

The uninformed; and the overly emotional.

The first type you can turn, the second type, doesn't taste that great in stew...

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody Ever Turned an Anti?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!