cutting foam rubber...... ???

PDA

Jayb
January 19, 2006, 06:09 PM
I need to cut profiles of several handguns in 2" thick foam rubber for a pistol case to take to the range. E-bay and web searches have yielded hot wire, and scroll saw type cutters ranging in price from $10 to over $400. I'd be interested in hearing a decent way to cut these profiles without the result looking like I cut 'em with an axe.

Thanks, Jay

If you enjoyed reading about "cutting foam rubber...... ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
January 19, 2006, 06:17 PM
Friend of mine (now deceased) did it this way, I've never tried it. Soak the foam in water and freeze it. After it is frozen you can cut it with a kitchen knife.

tankertom
January 19, 2006, 07:25 PM
I have used an electric carving knife to great effect. The same type as used for the Thanksgiving turkey.

tt

spin180
January 19, 2006, 08:11 PM
I have used an electric carving knife to great effect. The same type as used for the Thanksgiving turkey.

Me too. I've used an electric knife to cut 4-5 inch thick foam and it works great.

In fact, a couple of nearby fabric outlets also use an electric knife to cut foam for customers.

:)

Schleprok62
February 1, 2006, 02:15 PM
I need to cut profiles of several handguns in 2" thick foam rubber for a pistol case to take to the range. E-bay and web searches have yielded hot wire, and scroll saw type cutters ranging in price from $10 to over $400. I'd be interested in hearing a decent way to cut these profiles without the result looking like I cut 'em with an axe.

Thanks, Jay

I know a guy who used a similar method... soaked and frozen, as above, but smashed it flat before freezing... used a good sharp Xacto type knife...

ozarkhillbilly
February 1, 2006, 11:46 PM
If its a dense heavy foam rubber then take a hacksaw blade, tape up one end of it really well for a handle and cut it with that. Then take sand paper and sand it smooth. If its a light porus foam rubber thats only 2'' thick then use scissors designed to cut meat, for a smooth cut.

Also all a hot knife is, is a bare wire that has current running through it. They are not hard to make just be real careful.

P95Carry
February 2, 2006, 12:07 AM
Larry - good idea that re the freezing - I have always relied on just a super sharp and large blade.

But to extend the question - I am intrigued now - while the vertical cuts are not too bad - what does anyone find best for the horizontal cuts - removing the waste to leave the recess for the gun - hopefully with a fairly flat and even surface.

Some of that is sorta cutting blind - and hard to keep uniform in that plane.

Snagglepuss
February 2, 2006, 12:15 AM
Good question. I was thinking about this the other day as I want to redo one of my cases. I was thinking of ordering 2 1-inch thick sheets, cutting the outline of the gun out of one and then glueing the two together. Think it will work?

P95Carry
February 2, 2006, 12:19 AM
Indeed, ''laminating" can I think sometimes be a great way to go - providing the final depth suits the purpose.

If you enjoyed reading about "cutting foam rubber...... ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!