Undersize CARBIDE .40 S&W dies

PDA

Khornet
January 20, 2006, 01:43 PM
anybody make these, for preventing bullet setback? I've seen standard ones, but eliminating the need to lube is worth a lot to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Undersize CARBIDE .40 S&W dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
January 20, 2006, 05:19 PM
Most sizing dies will reduce the diameter enough to hold the bullet tightly. The usual problem lies with the expander spindle, after the case is sized. Measure the diameter of your expander and make sure it's not oversize. You can always polish it down, but it's hardened steel, so it will take a little time.

Chuck it in a drill, if you can, and use 200 grit emory cloth to lightly take some metal off, making sure that you do it evenly. After you've reduced the diameter to what you're looking for, then use either Flitz Metal Polish or J-B Bore cleaner on a soft cloth to polish it while it's turning in the drill chuck.

I think this will solve your problem.

Fred

HSMITH
January 20, 2006, 11:46 PM
The Lee/EGW undersize die is carbide. Buy it from Evolution Gun Works for about $22. It is the only non-custom undersize die I am aware of.

A little Hornady One Shot makes life a lot easier with carbide dies too, takes all the work out of reloading and doesn't need to be cleaned off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Undersize CARBIDE .40 S&W dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!