Is it possible?

PDA

teacup
January 20, 2006, 03:39 PM
I purchased a security six in 357 mag because of the versitality of being able to shoot 38 specials and 357 magnums. Initially I shot 38's and sighted the gun for this work. Then I shot 357's and re-sighted the gun to shoot those. I would like to reload for both the 38 and 357. My question: Is there a load for 38 special that will shoot to the same POA as a load for 357? In other words, are there loads for 38's and 357's that don't require sighting the gun in every time you want to shoot the other load? If not, what do the other members do when switching? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fecmech
January 20, 2006, 10:25 PM
Teacup--My .357 loads with different bullet weights don't even shoot to the same point of aim! At 25 yds my 173gr swc's@1200fps go about 2.5" higher than my 158 rnfp's @ 1350 fps. It all has to do with barrel time and bullet weight. Usually the dispersion is mostly verticle but you can get some windage changes. If you shoot different loads as I do just adjust your sight a couple clicks up or down as needed. BTW shooting indoors @ 50' the other day my 148gr. wadcutters at about 750 fps shot to the same point of aim as my 158's at 1350. Find what shoots the best and adjust the sights accordingly. IIRC the Ruger sight movement is about 3/4" per click at 25 yds. Good luck Nick

The Bushmaster
January 20, 2006, 10:32 PM
Best I can tell you, as I never shoot .38 specials in my magnums, is to load .357 magnums low and .38 spec. high...Another words load the magnums so they will lit low and load the .38's to match them...Now I'm confused...Think about it....:D

Experiment with powder and bullet weights until you come up with a combination that hits reletively close...This may take some time...Have fun...:D

Ross
January 21, 2006, 02:22 AM
The general rule is to raise the bullet weight to raise the point of impact. Lowering the bullet weight lowers the point of impact. Velocity can be disregarded mostly, but not entirely, as it is the time the bullet is in the barrel that determines the direction up caused by recoil.
It's rather satisfying tinkering with the loads to get from your ammunition that which may not be possible with store-boughten stuff.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

LHB1
January 21, 2006, 02:25 AM
Teacup,
Guess I don't understand the cause of your problem. Why not just forget the .38 Spl brass? Buy and load ONLY .357 brass with whatever load(s) you want. As previously stated, different loads MAY shoot to different points of impact regardless of brass used. Personally I would stick with .357 brass all the way. YMMV

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!