Which Caliber?

PDA

oldschool
January 20, 2006, 07:17 PM
My son was born on Tuesday and he weighed 7 pounds 6.2 ounces and was 22 inches long. I値l post pics when I知 not too lazy to post to my site and link to it. I知 thinking one of these 2 numbers is an omen so which caliber should I get next?:evil: I plan on buying & refinishing another bolt 22lr. So the 22 is taken care of unless I make it .223. I was planning on buying a 9mm Glock 19 but I知 thinking long arm for 3 gunning.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Caliber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
azredhawk44
January 20, 2006, 07:19 PM
If he's 7 pounds, 6.2 ounces, then he HAS to have a 7.62NATO (.308) bolt action rifle sitting in daddy's safe for when he's old enough to use it. See if you can special order one off the production line the same day your son was born.

Father Knows Best
January 20, 2006, 07:51 PM
Well, the obvious choice would be something in 7.62 with a 22" barrel. I'd recommend a Springfield Armory M1A (7.62x51, standard barrel length is 22").

Failing that, why not honor the year of his birth by getting him a 50th Anniversary Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum? My three children were born in 1999, 2003 and 2005. In the safe sit a 50th Anniversary Ruger Mk II for my first son (born 1999), a 50th Anniversary Single Six for my second son (born 2003) and a 50th Anniversary Blackhawk .357 Magnum for my daughter (born 2005). I love the fact that my boys are getting .22's and my baby girl gets the .357, but hey -- she was born in the right year. I've been trying to convince my wife that we need to have another child this year so I have someone to give a 50th Anniversary .44 Blackhawk to, but so far she isn't buying it ..... :evil:

Preacherman
January 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
Well, I'll agree with 7.62, but he's a "shorty" at 22 inches, so why not an AK in 7.62x39mm.?

:D

oldschool
January 20, 2006, 10:19 PM
How hard is it to get a CMP Garrand rechambered for 7.62x54?
I'd thought about the 7.62x39 I just don't like much out there that it is chambered in it.

Jubei
January 21, 2006, 10:17 AM
Just go big, get the little guy a .50BMG Barrett. It may take a while for him to grow into it, but I bet that he'd be the first kid on the block to have one. Besides, then you can test-fire it for him every now and then.:D

Jubei

Father Knows Best
January 21, 2006, 01:09 PM
How hard is it to get a CMP Garrand rechambered for 7.62x54?
I'd thought about the 7.62x39 I just don't like much out there that it is chambered in it.

I don't think it's possible to convert a Garand to 7.62x54 for the simple reason that the 7.62x54 is a rimmed cartridge, isn't it? That would require significant modification of the bolt, and you'd probably never get it to work with the Garand's en bloc clips. In any case, why would you want to?

If you want a 7.62 Garand, it is ridiculously easy to convert one to 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO), and there a lot more ammo choices in 7.62x51.

mustanger98
January 21, 2006, 04:50 PM
I don't think it's possible to convert a Garand to 7.62x54 for the simple reason that the 7.62x54 is a rimmed cartridge, isn't it? That would require significant modification of the bolt, and you'd probably never get it to work with the Garand's en bloc clips. In any case, why would you want to?

If you want a 7.62 Garand, it is ridiculously easy to convert one to 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO), and there a lot more ammo choices in 7.62x51.

I was thinking of that 7.62 Garand when I saw the first suggestion of 7.62 and it would be an easy rebarrel.

Lose the Russian chamberings; they won't work in an American gas gun.

Granted the rifle- in most of its parts, excepting the barrel- will be much older than the kid, but if you go that route, the kid will have a very good chance of growing up with an appreciation of a fine old rifle chambered in a good .30caliber round.:cool: He'll grow up lightyears ahead of some of us who were not fortunate enough to have an M1 at a much younger age.

Taurus 66
January 21, 2006, 06:50 PM
I thought the omen might want you to add the two calibers together then divide by 2. I came up with .264.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/264wm.html

beaucoup ammo
January 21, 2006, 07:50 PM
S&W Model 29 .44 Mag!!

And congratulations, Old School! That's a Big Deal man! BTW, our 1st grandchild was born last week..baby boy..

Take Care

nfl1990
January 22, 2006, 09:24 PM
Or you can get a brand new Garand in .308 from Springfield.

oldschool
January 22, 2006, 09:48 PM
I knew 7.62 Nato was x5(something) I was trying to keep with the theme instead of writing .308.
Father Knows Best; I'm about as far from you as I am the place where I can get my "pick of the litter" of CMP Garrands. Depending of pricing I may convert one to 308 and leave one in -06, is the conversion a rebarrel or just a change of hardspace?
Taurus 66;I reload but anything close to wildcat cartridges (especially necked or fire form cases) is more effort than I want to get into besides I'm still fighting the 10mm urge for a carry pistol:evil:
beaucoup ammo; the wife minted 2 new grandmas (present in the delivery room) and 1 grandpa right then and there also last week plus 5 great grandparents.
Sleep is getting more regular and I have another week plus off of work so keep them comming.
Thanks,
please no body get me started on what caliber for nazi night nurses or attendings who will let a woman suffer in early labor for 24 hours because they don't want to deliver on their shift:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Caliber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!