Pennsylvania collecting download tax

PDA

Can'thavenuthingood
January 21, 2006, 01:42 PM
The cat's outta the bag, bureaucrats everywhere are slobbering with delight. Politicians are all agog, a new trough access.

Vick

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/13668295.htm

Pa. begins taxing downloads

The sales tax hadn't been applied to software bought online.
By Bob Fernandez
Inquirer Staff Writer

With a court case going unchallenged, Pennsylvania has begun collecting the 6 percent state sales tax on downloaded software.

A key exception is songs grabbed from the Internet for iPods and personal computers, Steve Kniley, Revenue Department spokesman, said this week.

The new policy amounts to a tax hike and is expected to generate revenue of $55 million to $60 million a year for Pennsylvania from businesses and individuals.

Companies update large software packages electronically, and these updates will be taxed under the new policy. Consumers also will pay the sales tax when they download software such as tax packages or virus-protection programs.

The new policy on taxing downloads was not something the Revenue Department "asked for," and the state agency was just following a court ruling, Kniley said.

A three-judge panel ruled in September in a run-of-the-mill tax case that the Revenue Department's long-standing policy of distinguishing between software on CD and software delivered electronically was silly. The software on CDs was considered tangible property and taxed.

Software delivered electronically was considered intangible and was not.

Tax experts, including state officials, expected the September ruling to be appealed by Graham Packaging. The York company filed the original case, but it did not appeal, and the Revenue Department implemented the changes.

Kyle Sollie, a tax lawyer in the Philadelphia firm Dechert L.L.P., said the new tax would make Pennsylvania a less competitive place for businesses in the region. Delaware doesn't have a sales tax at all, and New Jersey does not tax electronically delivered software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact staff writer Bob Fernandez at 215-854-5897 or bob.fernandez@phillynews.com.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pennsylvania collecting download tax" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Manedwolf
January 21, 2006, 01:43 PM
Kyle Sollie, a tax lawyer in the Philadelphia firm Dechert L.L.P., said the new tax would make Pennsylvania a less competitive place for businesses in the region. Delaware doesn't have a sales tax at all, and New Jersey does not tax electronically delivered software.

LESS competitive? I didn't think that was possible... :D

My opinion of PA is that the statue of William Penn in the capital's museum ought to be redone to have him slapping his hand over his eyes in disgust.

Chipperman
January 21, 2006, 01:55 PM
Well, at least PA is Shall Issue.

Sindawe
January 21, 2006, 03:00 PM
Companies update large software packages electronically, and these updates will be taxed under the new policy.Small packages, like antispyware, is also updated electronically. Will THAT be taxed as well?

Thieves, the whole lot of them are naught but filthy thieves. :cuss:

Can'thavenuthingood
January 21, 2006, 03:55 PM
"Small packages, like antispyware, is also updated electronically. Will THAT be taxed as well?"

As I understand it, yes it is taxed.
The Camels head is in the tent.

http://www.mwn.com/tax/recent.html
The majority of the panel then concluded that software, even if delivered electronically, is “stored on a computer’s hardware, takes up space on the hard drive and can be physically perceived by checking the computer’s files” and thus “is taxable as the sale of tangible personal property.”

This Internet commerce has always been touted as lost revenue. They never had it, so how is it lost?
The stagecoach went by them before they could organize an ambush. Now it's catch up time. The feds will want their cut, the locals will want a cut. Pretty soon it will be a 30% cost tacked on to anything related to Internet.

Their taking the sky from me.

Vick

antarti
January 21, 2006, 04:49 PM
Can back-door-audits of your PC and JBTs kicking in doors (for that latest McAffee update you didn't pay tax on) be far behind?

Al Norris
January 21, 2006, 05:04 PM
Generally, updates are just that. Updates. There is no charge for such. Upgrades are a different animal and are generally chargeable by the software company.

So how does the State tax an update that has no associated charge? Based on what?

Someone unconfuse me...

asknight
January 21, 2006, 05:31 PM
How can you tax something that is free?

This is merely fuel for the Open Source Movement and the Free Software Foundation. A majority of the most powerful software out there is free already. Linux and BSD operating systems, PHPGroupware, GNUCash, etc are very powerful rivals to commercial applications. There are literally millions of other commercial-replacement applications out there.

For the #1 question from business managers regarding free software compared to commercial accounting applications...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=open+source+accounting+software&btnG=Google+Search

and

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=open+source+general+ledger&btnG=Search

This also presumes that they've done the impossible... implemented a way to actually know which exact application/update you've downloaded. If they have, then they've broken several federal anti-spy laws in the development of this. They're going to tax updates to applications, which are FREE after you purchase the app originally? Yeah. Right. Antivirus updates taxed?

Gifted
January 21, 2006, 06:19 PM
They're going to tax updates to applications, which are FREE after you purchase the app originally? Yeah. Right. Antivirus updates taxed?I'd think that your winblows updates won't be taxed, as you're not paying for them. Now, you generally subscribe and pay for updates to anti-virus and such, and so you'd pay a tax on your subscription fee.

000Buck
January 21, 2006, 09:38 PM
I just moved to PA last year. This state loves taxes!

shermacman
January 21, 2006, 10:01 PM
Thank God I live in Massachusetts!
This kind of tax insanity will never happen here!
Our elected officials will protect us!

Oh, Great Nanny, hear our prayers, we beseech thee!

KriegHund
January 21, 2006, 10:12 PM
Companies update large software packages electronically, and these updates will be taxed under the new policy. Consumers also will pay the sales tax when they download software such as tax packages or virus-protection programs.

New virus update for 1000 computer company...My god.

This angers me too greatly. It was over taxes that the revolution was sparked.

I suspect that the tax collecters may want to get the very best in electronic protection, because soon they will be the target of hackers everywhere.

Standing Wolf
January 21, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yippee! Free money!

tellner
January 23, 2006, 08:52 PM
If you have sales tax at all it makes no sense to give a free ride to some goods just because of the way they're delivered. All you're doing is picking winners by giving online merchants a government-mandated advantage.

Isn't it the conservatives who are always whining about "not picking winners" and "no special rights"?

gezzer
January 23, 2006, 10:57 PM
Ahh! Whats a sales tax?:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pennsylvania collecting download tax" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!