Back to hungry bears.

PDA

Oleg Volk
January 21, 2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/bears2390.sized.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Back to hungry bears." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
telomerase
January 21, 2006, 08:02 PM
Too much implication that the ranger would choose you over the bear.

;) Just kidding, good poster (though the sheeple reaction will be to stay home and watch the Animal Channel).

Biker
January 21, 2006, 08:02 PM
Man... Luckily, most kids today are fat and slow!:evil:
Biker

telomerase
January 21, 2006, 08:03 PM
BTW, just how many people are injured by bears every year? Is it over 10?

Oleg Volk
January 21, 2006, 08:13 PM
Add pumas and other cute, cuddly creatures and the number rises.

SMLE
January 21, 2006, 08:53 PM
Add pumas and other cute, cuddly creatures and the number rises.You might want to change "1000 pound bear" to "large hungry predator". The "predator" need not be 4 legged either. And perhaps the bottom could say; "10 seconds to decide which end of the food chain you're on."

Dionysusigma
January 21, 2006, 09:53 PM
SMLE: You might want to change "1000 pound bear" to "large hungry predator". The "predator" need not be 4 legged either.

http://www.lefantastique.net/cinema/dossiers/alien_vs_predator/predator.jpg

:D :p Sorry... that was the first thing to come to mind after reading that. :o

Thain
January 21, 2006, 10:04 PM
Great work, as always, but can we get a version that uses the Detroit skyline instead of a mountain?

It'd be great for concealed carry advocacy.

taliv
January 21, 2006, 10:45 PM
looks good

i'm no cartridge guru, but that looks more like a varmint cartridge or a 223 or something. how bout something bigger?

alternate text might point out that there aren't any bears in national parks, so no need to bring your gun there

bean357
January 21, 2006, 10:57 PM
Great theme, and very true!
I'd like to get one of those posters with a wicked .357 or any large cal. handgun

Oleg Volk
January 21, 2006, 11:39 PM
Great work, as always, but can we get a version that uses the Detroit skyline instead of a mountain?

Next one planned in the series.

Cartridge: 6.8mm lengthened and provided with a soft point bullet in Photoshop.

El Tejon
January 22, 2006, 05:02 PM
Don't know about how effective this would be as one can simply avoid pumas, bears and magic unicorns by laying off John Barleycorn.

Gaiudo
January 22, 2006, 05:16 PM
Gotta say that it might look better with something actually "bear-able". That little 6.88 might just get the critter on the war path. :)

Bob R
January 22, 2006, 05:29 PM
How about:

1000 lb bear teaching her cubs how to survive.

You have ten seconds to decide on your own survival.

Just something to play with.

Jubei
January 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
I like it the way that it is, but the "which end of the food-chain" line is pretty good too.

Jubei

Herself
January 22, 2006, 08:49 PM
I prefer the caption as it stands. Be armed or be dinner, it gets right to the point.

...And if faced by a bear, I'm a coward. Can't I just have a Solothurn, or whatever that shoulder-fired 20mm antitank gun was called? ("I ain't goin' to the North Woods without Ma Deuce!")

At least many human predators have wit enough to change their minds when facing a gun. Bears might be plenty bright but they are slow learners and stubborn hunters.

--Herself

hso
January 22, 2006, 09:06 PM
I'm afraid it might backfire if you don't have some reliable statistics indicating bear attacks in the wild. Without these you risk "looking" like some crank gun nut making up parnoid fantasies about why a gun is essential for every low risk activity.

I think you might get more benefit from adding a bad guy near a road and captioning him.

Johnny_Yuma
January 22, 2006, 09:25 PM
The Ranger being the only one in this National Park professional enough, that he knows of, to carry a firearm for protection.:neener:

Optical Serenity
January 22, 2006, 09:44 PM
Looks good Oleg... I like how you photoshopped the bullet :)

mustanger98
January 22, 2006, 10:01 PM
Great theme, and very true!
I'd like to get one of those posters with a wicked .357 or any large cal. handgun

I'm thinking this would be a great place to stick in a Winchester and .375Winchester cartridge. Someone else may suggest a Marlin Guide Gun.

Rumpled
January 23, 2006, 06:44 AM
I'd make the cartridge a .44 Mag
On a hike you might not carry a longgun, but you could easily have a revolver on your hip.

Detroit skyline is a good idea also.

odysseus
January 23, 2006, 07:04 AM
Good one. Somehow for the sheeple, maybe to point out that legislation prevents them from carrying a firearm in most all parks.

jtward01
January 23, 2006, 07:20 AM
Replace the cartridge with a picture of a S&W .500 Magnum revolver and you'd have a heck of an ad for Smith & Wesson. Send a copy to their marketing department (along with a notice of copyright) and they just might want to pay you to use it.

20cows
January 23, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm afraid it might backfire if you don't have some reliable statistics indicating bear attacks in the wild. Without these you risk "looking" like some crank gun nut making up parnoid fantasies about why a gun is essential for every low risk activity

Wasn't there a black bear attack a few years ago in Yellowstone that killed several folks before a guy illegally carrying a .357 ended the rampage?

20cows
January 23, 2006, 02:28 PM
Though I didn't find one for the specific attack to which I referred, here are some bear attack links.

http://www.udap.com/yellowstone_park_grizzly_attack%20full%20story.htm

http://www.npca.org/magazine/2004/january_february/news1.asp

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/menstruation_data.html

http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks.shtml

http://www.samcef.org/Attack%20Stories.htm

Need more?

birddog
January 23, 2006, 02:29 PM
I think that was in Canada and the firearm was a rifle....Not positive, but pretty sure.

springmom
January 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
You might want to change "1000 pound bear" to "large hungry predator". The "predator" need not be 4 legged either. And perhaps the bottom could say; "10 seconds to decide which end of the food chain you're on."

I like that better as the caption, yes. And of course, it's true out in the woods or out in your driveway....

Springmom

hso
January 23, 2006, 03:12 PM
The Bearman site listed gives this informatino - "Over 62 million people visited Yellowstone National Park (YNP) during the 23 year period from 1980 through 2002. ... During the 1980-2002 time period, 32 people were injured by bears within YNP"

That's 32 out of 62 million. Not bad odds.

TallPine
January 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
That's 32 out of 62 million. Not bad odds.
Except ... the vast majority of those 62 million just drove through and stopped at Old Faithful and the gift shop.

The tiny minority that hiked into the backcountry are the ones most at risk of meeting a bear that is having a bad day.

I've seen lots of bears, I like seeing them, and I've even followed them and gotten fairly close a few times (close enough to watch one fertilize the forest when he thought no one was looking;) ). Never had a problem, but still I like to have some serious means of defense against predators with any number of legs.

Burt Blade
January 23, 2006, 11:27 PM
Oleg,

I would use a .45-70 cartridge for that cool pic, but then I am terribly old fashioned in some ways.

If you enjoyed reading about "Back to hungry bears." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!