Walther P1

PDA

kbsrn
January 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
Was at a gunshow today and the had new/unissued, or at least as new as a 30 plus year old pistol can be for $288 out the door. THey came with 2 matching mags, holster, cleaning kit, test target, and the original box.
Is that a good price? They were nice with pretty good bluing and the tubes were in very good condition. I can still go back tomorrow and get one, they had a bunch.
Also what is the difference between a P1 and a P36?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
January 21, 2006, 09:23 PM
That's an OK price.

The difference between the P-38 and the P1 depends on WHICH P-38 you mean.

The WWII P-38 was a steel framed gun.
After WWII Walther did a slight redesign of the firing pin and safety assembly and changed the frame material to aluminum.

The difference between the POST-WAR aluminum P-38 and the P1 is.....nothing except the markings.

The P-38 marked guns were for German police, foreign military sales, and commercial sales.

The P1 is nothing more then the P-38, only marked for use by the West German military, who called the gun the Pistole One, or P1.

Other than the markings, the guns are exactly the same.

ArmedBear
January 22, 2006, 05:46 PM
Check to make sure it's all numbers-matching. I believe at least three places have the serial number or the last 3 digits (007 on mine, which partially prompted me to pick it).

It's a great gun. Mine was $269 a few months ago. $288 is an acceptable price if it's in Excellent condition. A great shooter and even HD gun. Mine feeds Silvertips well, for example, and is accurate.

Don't pay over $300 (except for a collectible all-steel Nazi gun, which is a lot more), but anything under that is okay if you handle the gun and it's a good specimen.

The aluminum frame gun has nice balance. I can shoot it easily and well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!