(More) IWB/OWB Holster Talk

PDA

ezypikns
January 22, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'm attempting to carry a PM9 in a High Noon Mr. Softy IWB holster. Not too bad when I'm sittting down, but how in the world do you keep the thing from diiging into your hip when you walk? Incidentally, I've got a few extra pounds but I'm not what you'd call fat.
Wearing at about 4:00 on RH (strong) side. If I don't cinch my gun belt (and it's a good, stout 1 1/4" wide gun belt) pretty tight, it begins to go south. The Mr. Softy is a pretty minimal holster (thin soft leather).
Should I pop for a Milt Sparks Summer Special? Is there really that much comfort difference between 'bargain' and the more expensive holsters? The other thing is, The Kahr is a thin, small profile weapon. Maybe I should look at OWB carry? I'd want an extremely high rise holster for concealability.

All opinions are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "(More) IWB/OWB Holster Talk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inline_6
January 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
I recommend the McDaniel II from Andrews Leather. It comfortably hides a full size gun quite easily so a Kahr will disappear. I can even wear my USP45 Compact under an untucked t-shirt.

The belt loop angle is adjustible to whatever fits you and being behind the gun, it pulls it in closely to your body.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

Iggy
January 22, 2006, 06:07 PM
There is a huge difference..

It sounds like your rig is diggin' in.. You might seriously consider a holster like the VMII with the wider set belt attachments.. or others made in a similar manner by Alessi, Brommeland, HBE etc.

They spread the weight and pressure points over a wider area of your hip..

Think snowshoe!!

The money you spend on a good holster will be well worth it in comfort over the years.

If you go with a very high ride holster, the money you spend again is worth it in the structural integrity and design you will get from a custom rig..

Too high and too cheap means the holster will allow the gun to tip out and over.

Talk to the various custom holsters makers and get the input from the masters. The money you spend on phone calls will pay off with interest down the line.

meef
January 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
I can relate to the irritation of wearing an IWB holster. I just don't see how people do it - and I've tried a lot of them. A lot of expensive, big-name brand ones, believe me.

I have a Kahr PM9 and as small as it is, I can't abide the IWB route even with it.

But.... I also have a Kahr P40 and here's a link to a great, VERY comfortable, very high-riding OWB holster by Fist that I can wear all day long and hardly even notice it's there - the K2 Kydex High Ride. Extremely comfortable, extremely concealable.

Just be sure to tell them I sent you so I get my cut.....:D

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K2.htm

Babalouie
January 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
I carry a Taurus Millunnium pro in a Tucker Texas Heritage. Having not carried IWB before I found that making a small change foward or back on the belt made a big difference in comfort. The Tucker is also adjustable up and down and since it has two belt clips, one on either end of the holster, you can adjust the angle it sits on the belt. Although it will never be as comfortable as not carry a weapon I have found that I often forget I am carrying. So I guess thats comfortable enough. Here's the link http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/tugu.html

usp9
January 23, 2006, 10:29 AM
I'm attempting to carry a PM9 in a High Noon Mr. Softy IWB holster. Not too bad when I'm sittting down, but how in the world do you keep the thing from diiging into your hip when you walk? Incidentally, I've got a few extra pounds but I'm not what you'd call fat.
Wearing at about 4:00 on RH (strong) side. If I don't cinch my gun belt (and it's a good, stout 1 1/4" wide gun belt) pretty tight, it begins to go south. The Mr. Softy is a pretty minimal holster (thin soft leather).
Should I pop for a Milt Sparks Summer Special? Is there really that much comfort difference between 'bargain' and the more expensive holsters? The other thing is, The Kahr is a thin, small profile weapon. Maybe I should look at OWB carry? I'd want an extremely high rise holster for concealability.

All opinions are welcome.

Suggest you view KD holsters. Kevin makes a very nice OWB for small guns, IWB, and fine pocket holsters too. I personally use a "mini belt defender". It is easy to forget it's there.

http://kdholsters.com/

Jkwas
January 23, 2006, 01:09 PM
Two things you can do. I have a bare asset, the canted version of mr softy. I carry a snub nose, and the front sharp edge of the cylinder was killling my hip bone. I couldn't find a spot where it was comfortable for more than 20 minutes. I took a piece of leather that I cut from another holster (it was too long) and I roughed it up and the spot on the holster where the irritation was with a wire brush, and super glued it on to reinforce the problem area. That helped, but it wasn't perfect. I wear a 1.25" belt. Nothing special. So I pulled it up as high as possible on the belt so the hook was tucked underneath, skipped the right front loop on my pants so the top of the belt actually rides slightly higher than the waistband, and the holster still sticks down inside it. Made all the difference in the world. Before I did this, my cheap Uncle mikes iwb was more comfortable. Now they are about the same, but the high noon is much better quality. Play around with it some more and I'm sure you'll figure out a solution. good luck

middy
January 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
I've just about given up on a comfortable IWB. I can conceal just as well with a high-ride pancake style OWB as long as I have some kind of loose cover shirt/jacket.

bulbboy
January 23, 2006, 03:33 PM
Suggest you view KD holsters. Kevin makes a very nice OWB for small guns, IWB, and fine pocket holsters too. I personally use a "mini belt defender". It is easy to forget it's there.

http://kdholsters.com/

+1 - He makes the best holsters!! Here is my Mini-Belt Defender. the first one is OWB and the 2nd is IWB the 3rd is a custom job he did for me with my initials on it.
www.kdholsters.com
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/GLOCKBELTDEFENDER.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/IWB.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/Anaconda.jpg

Black Majik
January 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
Since the PM9 is such a small gun, why not just carry it OWB. I doubt you'll print much with a good quality OWB holster. That gun is short and flat.

Check out www.miltsparks.com for some awesome OWB holsters. The 60TK is a highride owb holster FYI, take a look at that.

usp9
January 23, 2006, 10:54 PM
+1 - He makes the best holsters!! Here is my Mini-Belt Defender. the first one is OWB and the 2nd is IWB the 3rd is a custom job he did for me with my initials on it.
www.kdholsters.com
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/GLOCKBELTDEFENDER.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/IWB.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/kevinmichaeldick/Anaconda.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bulbboy those are nice, but that bottom holster is spectacular.:D What is the leather? Is that a Kahr T9? Very nice with those grips. I'm impressed.

bulbboy
January 23, 2006, 11:04 PM
Its anaconda skin. Kevin at K & D is a great craftsman - you would be surprised by his prices! The grips are Hogue grips made for Kahr. Its a Kahr MK9.

Ala Dan
January 23, 2006, 11:24 PM
I suggest that you look at the Compact Undercover Rig from
Kirkpatrick Leather of Laredo, Texas. Quality products, excellent
customer service (and support), at affordable prices. Plus darn
good people too do business with~!:cool: :D

Khornet
January 24, 2006, 02:14 PM
because I have carried single-stack 1911s, double stack 1911s, and a Glockk 22 all day in all weathers in all types of clothing IWB with no problem. I use a Tucker TX Heritage and have no problems. Office, social events, yard work, even under my waders.

Where you position that holster makes a huge difference, but I guess if a little Kahr is intolerable then you're just not built for IWB.

Jiml3
January 24, 2006, 02:25 PM
I have a Kahr PM9 and purchased the "Extreme High Ride" holster from c-rusty sherrick .com. It is very slim as it is made out of horse hide and strong. Needless to say I am very pleased with it. It hugs the body very close making it
very concealable. It is an out of the waist holster but if you prefer, he has in the waist holsters also. Check it out.

pax
January 24, 2006, 02:35 PM
Is there really that much comfort difference between 'bargain' and the more expensive holsters?
Yes, there can be.

Before you trash the holster you've got, though, try moving it around on your belt. If 4 o'clock doesn't work, try 3 o'clock and then 2 o'clock.

Also, a good wide gun belt often makes all the difference in the world. If your belt is flimsy or thin rather than wide and nearly rigid, invest in a good belt before you shell out the bucks for a new holster.

Incidentally, a flimsy holster like Mr. Softy is a significant safety risk when holstering. Remember that you don't want your muzzle to cover any important body parts; that means, don't hold the holster open with your left hand while putting the firearm into the holster because you'll point straight at your hand. And don't go digging around your abdomen with the muzzle, trying to force the holster open. Instead, holster the weapon before you put it on your belt.

pax

January 24, 2006, 10:48 PM
I can relate to the irritation of wearing an IWB holster. I just don't see how people do it - and I've tried a lot of them. A lot of expensive, big-name brand ones, believe me. Big +1, went through the same BS. IWB is not comfortable no matter how you stack it.

...here's a link to a great, VERY comfortable, very high-riding OWB holster by Fist that I can wear all day long and hardly even notice it's there - the K2 Kydex High Ride. Extremely comfortable, extremely concealable.

Funny you mention it, ordered this very holster.

MCgunner
January 24, 2006, 11:59 PM
Is there really that much comfort difference between 'bargain' and the more expensive holsters?

YES

carebear
January 25, 2006, 01:03 AM
I'm not big on spending big bucks on gun belts but quality holsters are well worth the money.

I've been carrying my LW Cmdr in a Safariland K94 (I think it's discontinued but I'm sure there's a similar one). It didn't break the bank but even though it's kinda worn now it still holds securely and comfortably.

I like it due to the leather covered (in and out) polymer liner. Strong and fitted, one-handed reholster capable, but it doesn't add a half inch of holster to the gun's width in my waistband.

absolute0
January 25, 2006, 10:48 PM
I've gotta respectfully disagree with Carebear on ponying up for a QUALITY gun belt. While I'm certainly not an authority, I can say unconditionally that a good quality stiff wide (read 1 1/4" plus) gun belt will make a huge difference in comfort and utility.

carebear
January 25, 2006, 11:14 PM
I've gotta respectfully disagree with Carebear on ponying up for a QUALITY gun belt. While I'm certainly not an authority, I can say unconditionally that a good quality stiff wide (read 1 1/4" plus) gun belt will make a huge difference in comfort and utility.

Take out the bolded word and I'd agree whole heartedly. I didn't say a cheap or weak belt. Just that a solid piece of leather doesn't have to say "Bianchi" or "Galco" or anything else to properly support a gun. Any good quality, heavy duty, leather belt will do as well and you aren't paying twice the cost for someone's name or logo.

I should have put the "gun" in my statement in quotes.

mec
January 26, 2006, 12:50 AM
A lot of people just can't stand an IWB but for those who can, this Sparks VMII is a good one:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34560&stc=1&d=1138254579

Inline_6
January 26, 2006, 11:05 AM
A lot of people just can't stand an IWB but for those who can, this Sparks VMII is a good one:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34560&stc=1&d=1138254579
Why is one of your magazines backwards? They should be carried with bullets facing forward.

mec
January 26, 2006, 12:25 PM
The practice a few years ago among the competitive shooters was to place them this way so the shooter's index finger would ride along the leading edge of the magazine and serve to guide it into the magazine well. placing the rear magazine "backwards" made this possible without fumbling.

carebear
January 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
As long as you train with them that way, they can be upside down or even perpendicular to your body. Makes concealment tougher though. :D

Inline_6
January 26, 2006, 05:00 PM
The practice a few years ago among the competitive shooters was to place them this way so the shooter's index finger would ride along the leading edge of the magazine and serve to guide it into the magazine well. placing the rear magazine "backwards" made this possible without fumbling.
Right... which is why the bullets face forward. How do you reach for the front magazine with one grip and the back magazine with a different grip (to still have the bullets pointing at your index finger)?? :confused:

mec
January 26, 2006, 05:11 PM
OK. Front magazine- Sweep hand back with index finger pointed down, withdraw the magazine from the double holder with index finger on the front of the magazine and pointed toward the follower. "Point" the magazine into the magazine well.

NOW. If you try the same maneuver with the REAR magazine, your finger will run right into the front pouch. SO, you withdraw the rear magazine by sweeping your left/weak hand from behind and forward with your index finger again contacting the front of the magazine just the same.

This was a well-established procedure at the time this type of magazine holder was in regular use. I got it from a graduate of Gunsite and saw it in use at local and sectional IPSC matches. It is my understanding that the equipment in vogue has now changed and I do not know (or care) if this procedure is still in use. I do know that it was a common and prefered practice in its time.

Inline_6
January 26, 2006, 07:32 PM
OK. Front magazine- Sweep hand back with index finger pointed down, withdraw the magazine from the double holder with index finger on the front of the magazine and pointed toward the follower. "Point" the magazine into the magazine well.

NOW. If you try the same maneuver with the REAR magazine, your finger will run right into the front pouch. SO, you withdraw the rear magazine by sweeping your left/weak hand from behind and forward with your index finger again contacting the front of the magazine just the same.

This was a well-established procedure at the time this type of magazine holder was in regular use. I got it from a graduate of Gunsite and saw it in use at local and sectional IPSC matches. It is my understanding that the equipment in vogue has now changed and I do not know (or care) if this procedure is still in use. I do know that it was a common and prefered practice in its time.
Thanks. Hmmm... I'll have to experiment with that sometime. In my experience, the front magazine will be gone from the pouch when I reach for the rear, so there is nothing in the way and I grab it exactly as I did the first (though perhaps a bit higher up).

Of course, I carry a Mitch Rosen SOS these days, so there is a light in the second spot anyway. :)

carebear
January 26, 2006, 11:33 PM
Of course, I carry a Mitch Rosen SOS these days, so there is a light in the second spot anyway. :)

That's gonna take more pushing to seat fully. :evil:

Inline_6
January 27, 2006, 11:27 AM
That's gonna take more pushing to seat fully. :evil:
LOL! Yea, but my Para P14 will swallow a Surefire. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "(More) IWB/OWB Holster Talk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!