AR15 Sights problem

PDA

f4t9r
January 22, 2006, 10:42 PM
I have a question about sighting in a AR15. I am shooting high at 50 yards
about 8" and this is where my question comes from. I am wanting to keep my rear sight on zero (is that right?) , so I adusted the front sight up to get on target. The problem is the front sight is almost all the way out and sticking out above the prongs on the front sight fixture. Should I move it back down some and adjust the rear sight or is there any other suggestions ??

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Sights problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SomeKid
January 22, 2006, 11:00 PM
If you adjusted the front sight up, you screwed up your zero anyway.

Use the rear sight adjuster for an issue like shooting high. That is one feature I love about ARs, easy sighting in.

rocky
January 22, 2006, 11:09 PM
What type of AR/sights? The old A1 design the frnt adjusted height, the rear windage. If the rear will adjust height use it and put the frnt post back down a bit.

f4t9r
January 22, 2006, 11:27 PM
What type of AR/sights? The old A1 design the frnt adjusted height, the rear windage. If the rear will adjust height use it and put the frnt post back down a bit.

New design A2

rero360
January 22, 2006, 11:30 PM
heres what you do,

try to get some army zero targets, they're for 25 meters, if you cant they're easy to make, set up a grid of .50 inch squares, with a 4cm circle in the middle, make it completely black so it shows up better,

Next put your rifle to a mechanical zero, base of front site level with base, and rear site centered, then put it all the way to the bottom, 8/3 then bring it back up one click. make sure you put it back down after you zero.

as you shoot to make adjustments, with windage, its 3 clicks for every square, rear site. and 1 click for every square for elevation, front post. your sites should have arrows on them to tell you what direction to adjust accordingly.

thats pretty much it, any other questions feel free to pm me if you want

rocky
January 22, 2006, 11:31 PM
IIRC, The A2 should all be rear sight adjustment. Should be 2 peep rings, the smaller being a long range peep.

rero360
January 22, 2006, 11:31 PM
that is a 300 yard zero by the way.

rero360
January 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
correction, the squares on the grid should be 1cm not .50 inch, just looked at a picture of one and realized my mistake.

USMCRotrHed
January 23, 2006, 01:51 AM
Listen to Rero.....

The same thing happens on my AR. I didn't know the exact measurements on the target but he has the procedure there for you to use. My front sight post does stick a little above the rest of the front sight fixture, but that's OK.

Due to the trajectory of the bullet, a 50 yard sight in will give you strange dope on the farther distances. On an M-16/AR-15 the bullet starts out below the line of sight due to the height of the sights before it starts to drop over distance. This causes kind of a dip effect (at least that is how it was explained to me). Therefore the 25 yard distance is after the "dip" while the bullet is on the rise. It is on a straight line and therefore equal in elevation to 300 yards.

Zero in at 25, then try it at both 200 and 300 and see where you are.

swingset
January 23, 2006, 02:55 AM
Here is the correct method to sight in an AR-15 type rifle:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/sightIn/

Learn it, live it, love it.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 23, 2006, 01:10 PM
Rero and swingset have given you advice on how to correctly sight in a rifle for the traditional 25M/300M zero. The downside of this zero is that at ranges where you are more likely to use the rifle (100yds) your small aperture will be between 6-8" high; which can be frustrating. You do want to keep your rear sight on the same setting while zeroing. If you use the rear sight to adjust elevation during zeroing, the elevation adjustment on the sight will no longer correspond to the ranges marked on the side.

The advantage of the 50yd zero is that you can make the trajectory flatter in close (within 2" of point of aim out to 225yds); but still retain the elevation adjustments for longer ranges (though you lose the 750-800m adjustment range on an A2, and the 550-600m adjustment range on a detachable handle).

Here is how you set that zero:
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

I am guessing you have a 16" flattop with detachable carry handle? Because of the different sight geometry these sometimes require a taller front sight post in order to zero at 50yds. The easiest way to fix this would be to spend the $5 on a taller front sight post. You just need it about .03 taller than the existing post and most AR places sell them. A more expensive solution involving more work and that adds nothing is to replace the A2 front sight base you probably have with the correct F-marked front sight base (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/IronSights.html) designed to be used with a flattop.

middy
January 23, 2006, 01:12 PM
Another popular option is the Improved Battle-Sight Zero (http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw), which is zeroed at 50 and 200 yards. POA is within 2" of POI out to 250 yards.

f4t9r
January 23, 2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks , Thats good stuff and I already figured the problem out with all your help. The rear sight was turned up and I did not know this until I started reading the proper way to adjust the sights. I had everything out of whack.

Moved rear sight back to zero and moved front sight back down a bit , so its off to the range to get it in. Thanks again

rero360
January 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
no prob. happy to help

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Sights problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!