Colt Govt 380 problem - help needed

PDA

akanotken
January 23, 2006, 05:16 AM
Was shooting my Colt Govt 380 at a BUG IDPA match. I don't shoot this gun much, so I wanted to get some rounds thru it. I had a problem which leads to this question.

My slide release would work it's way out to the left during fire. Of course, the slide won't cycle when it moves to the left enough to catch in the normal exit relief used during take down. Happened on the clock, so I took it back off the line and hand cycled it a bunch of times and it happened there repeatedly there too.

I know the first guess will be some pressure on the right side of the slide release. I'm right handed so my fingers are clear of the right side. And during hand cycling I had everything clear of everything. Still happened. :(

What keeps the slide release in place? Had another owner go home and check his out, he said that his operated normally, but that he could induce the failure by touching the right side during cycling. Doesn't seem to be anything actively keeping it in place.

History of my gun: Purchased used a year or so back. Shot ~ 100 times at the range by me with no problems until I shot at a match. Doesn't seem to show signs of a lot of prior shooting.

Searched this forum, found mention of a recall but my serial number isn't in that range. (RK xxxxx serial numbers).

So, my current plan is to replace the slide stop and the spring.

Or, I can live with it and plan on shooting it like I did to finish the rest of the match, Gansta style! :cool: I found gravity kept it in place just fine. I had three stages left, and I canted the pistol to the right to finish up. I actually normally do this a little when shooting support hand only (which was required). But next was shooting strong hand only, on the move backing up. Canting it to the right was real fun. Last stage was two hand allowed, and as we started with the gun at "low ready" I positioned my support hand thumb on the left side of the release and it stayed in place.

Last comment on this .. these stages were all 5 round stages, no reloads and relatively little shooting. Was a little dissappointed the colt failed to finish, but I also am a proponent of shooting matches to see how your gear does when you do more than stand in a stall and punch holes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Govt 380 problem - help needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
January 23, 2006, 05:24 PM
This was a problem with a lot of the Mustang series. I have never found any answer other than replace slide stop and spring. Thank fully my Mustang has never had this trouble.

kimbernut
January 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
As Michael has mentioned this has been a problem with some of the .380 series.It seems if it happens at all to a particular pistol it happens a lot. Most did not have the problem but it happened often enough that when Scott,McDougall and Ass. were operating they built special slide locks for the guns that had the problem. It consisted of your slide lock or a spare that you sent to them. They would drill and fit it with a captured pin and spring assembly at the rear that put pressure against the front edge of the left grip.With proper equipment and a little time & experience it did not look like a difficult arrangement to copy. IIRC the Star BM has the same type plunger pin/spring set up on its slide lock.

akanotken
January 23, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'm not familiar with Scott and company, but it sounds like they are not in business anymore?

I checked into Numrich after I posted originally. They are out of slide stops. Any chance just replacing the spring will do anything? Any ideas on where else to look for the parts?

TIA guys.

akanotken
January 23, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'm not familiar with Scott and company, but it sounds like they are not in business anymore?

I checked into Numrich after I posted originally. They are out of slide stops. Any chance just replacing the spring will do anything? Any ideas on where else to look for the parts?

TIA guys.

bredda
January 23, 2006, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately, Scott, MacDougal, and Assoc. is no longer around. You might also want to try Cylinder & Slide who offer a similar stop fix for around $50. Down side is you have to ship off the gun.

kimbernut
January 24, 2006, 10:24 AM
Brownell's is still showing them in stock in stainless matte @$18 as well as the spring and several versions of the slide. Cylinder& Slide is a great outfit you might give them a call and just see if they will just send the part.IIRC with SM&A was about $35 plus your slide stop and shipping one way.

kimbernut
January 27, 2006, 04:32 PM
Please keep us informed of your progress in a solution to your problem.I'm most interested in the Colt .380 series. Thanks

akanotken
January 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
Please keep us informed of your progress in a solution to your problem.I'm most interested in the Colt .380 series. Thanks

You know, some ranges have rejects from gun stores working there :eek: . Not mine. I can't even tell you all how many times they've helped me out.

Ok, onto my solution. I'm going to try and do this without pics. When you assemble the firearm, there is a little shelf on the slide stop that the spring rests on (and can slide off). The golden advice that I got was to make the tiniest little notch on that shelf to keep the slide stop from working it's way out to the left.

I've worked the slide ~100 times and can't get it to fail. This seems to have done the trick, altho I haven't run any rounds down the tube. I'll do that as soon as I can, but not likely in the next couple of weeks. I will for sure update this thread if I have failures, hopefully I'll remember to update this thread if I have success:p I fully expect success.

MICHAEL T
January 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
Sounds like that might do the trick. How about still changing the spring for that new tension. what's a couple of bucks. Your makeing me want to get my Mustang out shoot and carry again.

kimbernut
January 30, 2006, 10:16 AM
Very good- Just may do the trick.Yes, please keep us informed if you can! Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Govt 380 problem - help needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!