1911 build

PDA

NateG
January 23, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hello all, I've got a few questions about ye ol' 1911. I've seen a few places online where you can buy frames (and the other parts) and partially completed frames. The questions: is it even worth considering building one? I'm reasonably handy at building things (furniture, some metal work, etc.) and I'd like a challenge. However, if the thing won't work at the end until I've built a dozen or so and have learned all the ins and outs, then I'll find another project. So: is it (reasonably) doable? And, does anyone sell partially completed frames (80%) that aren't really expensive. $170ish is the best I've found. But I've found completed receivers for $100.

Thanks,
Nate

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
January 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
Quite frankly, building a 1911 will end up costing more than a production model 1911 such as a Kimber, Colt or Springfield, and/or cost up to a full custom 1911.

Furthermore, you'll have to have the proper tools to build the 1911.

The plus side though, is that you'll get quality parts, with the parts YOU want. Specially built to you needs. Furthermore, there will be the pride of building your own 1911.

Maybe I'm just chicken as I haven't gone and built my own, but if you do end up building one, that'd be awesome.

Oh yeah, put 1911tuner on your speed dial :evil:

HSMITH
January 23, 2006, 08:01 PM
I've done several, and don't recommend it. The first couple will probably cost you a LOT more than having someone else do it. You will wreck some parts, and buy them again. The tools aren't cheap, and most of them are completely useless for anything else.

Patience and good books are your friend if you decide to take it on. If you can't put something down and walk away easily when you start to get a little frustrated it will be a lot harder to get a good product, you MUST be patient!

Brian Williams
January 23, 2006, 10:37 PM
A good way to start is to get a Caspian fitted frame with a caspian grip safety, that in and of it self is pricy

Carbon Receiver

View http://www.caspianarms.com/TNImages/standardreceiver_carbon.jpg

Guaranteed Forever: You just can't buy a stronger, more precisely machined unit. No one holds their rail specs and hole location closer than Caspian. Our 25 years of experience assure the right choice of material at the right heat treat for optimum performance. With more available options and the industries best guarantee, it's easy to see why Caspian receivers are your best choice, whether you're looking for a one of a kind custom, or considering a production run.
Specify Caliber: 45acp, 38s/9mm, 40sw/10mm
$175.00

Government Slides 5"
Carbon

View http://www.caspianarms.com/TNImages/5inch_carbon.jpg

Caspian machines slides from out own pre-heat treated, certified forgings. We machine them hard to insure dimensional stability. Caspian offers more options than anyone so you can get the exact slide you want.
Specify Caliber: 45acp, 38s/9mm, 40sw/10mm
$210.00

Grip Safeties
Carbon High Ride Grip Safety

Wilson/Caspian Contour
$35.00

Receiver Options
Beavertail Cut

View http://www.caspianarms.com/TNImages/beavertail.jpg

Our beavertail radius cuts are left a little on the plus side to insure a nice tight fit. Some massaging may be necessary. Please specify which radius you would like.
Caspian / Wilson
Ed Brown / .250 Radius
$16.50

here are 2 other things I would do
Hand Fit
Your frame and slide will be hand lapped to a 90% fit, leaving the final lapping to you.
$50.00

Integral Plunger Tube
Guaranteed not to come loose! For those who need the peace of mind of knowing that a loose plunger tube will not keep you from taking your gun off safe.
$25.00

ADD it up

That is $511.50 and you only have a Frame, Slide, Grip Safety, Plunger tube in carbon steel. SS and titanium are more.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!